Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoKH Survivor Mk III
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20  Next Page »
posted 04-12-15 09:39 PM CT (US)   
Hello! Welcome all, here we will find who is meek and doesn't have time for online games and who is strong and will prevail despite looming real-life finals!

AoKH Survivor Mk I (we don’t talk about Mk II)

This is actually quite simple. Every round, a challenge is set. At the end of a challenge, the worst entry is eliminated. The last standing forummer wins!

Everyone has a single bye. by not submitting your entry for a challenge, you automatically use your bye. during the last three challenges, you may not use your bye. please inform me of your intention to use your bye before the time limit, however, so that if everyone else is ready we may move forward.

I’ll be putting up a nice prize: first place can choose any title on steam under 60 USD to be awarded. (it really does have to be steam, sorry) IF they wish for something under 60 USD, the remainder of the original 60 USD is awarded to runner-up.

Upon being eliminated, I’d kindly ask contestants to join the judging panel.

The judging panel:
CarolKarine
Watson

The contestants:
Aleph Eliminated
Popey
RHJ
CPR Eliminated
Major (BYE)
Mayank Eliminated
Dev Eliminated
HockeySam Eliminated
Excel Eliminated
Dexter Fei Eliminated
Regan Eliminated
Jan_DC Eliminated
John_The_Late Eliminated
CroBoss Eliminated
MrMew (BYE)

THE FIRST CHALLENGE: completed

THE SECOND CHALLENGE: completed

THE THIRD CHALLENGE: completed

THE FOURTH CHALLENGE: completed

THE FIFTH CHALLENGE

The person with the fewest points will be eliminated.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker

[This message has been edited by CarolKarine (edited 07-27-2015 @ 03:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-10-15 04:07 PM CT (US)     226 / 499  
Not another medieval cooking round! I'm so not doing my soup again.

CK I've emailed you my entry.

"Then ready yourself Peter Pan, for I am Red Handed Jill"
posted 05-10-15 04:23 PM CT (US)     227 / 499  
so far popey is winning due to his collector's edition glossy posters, but you are doing just fine! I think john is the only person to have something 3d-printed, however

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 05-10-15 05:42 PM CT (US)     228 / 499  
Droppin out. Sorry for making fuzz earlier, and good luck all.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-10-15 10:20 PM CT (US)     229 / 499  
Here's my entry at last, which has everything except 3d printed object and AoK merchandise, with the additional bonus of a mechanical calculator for tiebreaker situations

Album link

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 05-11-15 01:39 AM CT (US)     230 / 499  
Yeah if I went after pictures I'd probably get eliminated. Cooking? Sounds... Interesting.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 05-11-15 01:28 PM CT (US)     231 / 499  
If your have not sent me your images or posted them in the thread by the 13th, your bye will automatically be used or you will be dropped due to inactivity (if you have already used your bye) if you are dropped, please remain and judge, however! I will need at least one other person for the next round (so that there at least three judges.)

posted 05-13-15 08:35 AM CT (US)     232 / 499  
Yeah, I'm going to have to pull out. Coursework has me swamped atm. Sorry.

Dexter Fei
Best Noob 2014 AOKH
"Doors are for people with no imagination."-Skulduggery Pleasant
_____v____v_V___________v______V___v________(\ /) _ (\ /) ____V___v_________v__V__________v___________
(O o) (o 0)
(> < ) (> < )
posted 05-13-15 10:23 AM CT (US)     233 / 499  
RHJ - 43 points (via email)
Popey - 51 points (via steam)
Major - 42 points (posted in thread)
John The Late - 4 points (something 3d-printed, sent over skype)
Hockey - 15 points (AoK merch)
Aleph - bye due to lack of entry
CroBoss - bye due to lack of entry
Regan - bye due to lack of entry
Jan_DC - bye due to lack of entry
MrMew - bye due to lack of entry
Mayank - eliminated due to inactivity
Excel - eliminated due to inactivity
Dexter - eliminated due to inactivity

Anybody who entered something is counted as safe due to three eliminations due to inactivity.

[This message has been edited by CarolKarine (edited 05-13-2015 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 05-13-15 02:12 PM CT (US)     234 / 499  
YAY!! I was so scared I was going to be eliminated!

"Then ready yourself Peter Pan, for I am Red Handed Jill"
posted 05-13-15 02:21 PM CT (US)     235 / 499  
if I missed anyone's entry due to the vast variety of means in which they were sent, please let me know! bye uses and eliminations WILL be rescinded if I mistakenly eliminated someone or forced a bye usage.

next challenge to come shortly.

posted 05-13-15 04:59 PM CT (US)     236 / 499  
Right in the midpack, bottom of high-end. Hm, good enough

I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 05-13-15 11:41 PM CT (US)     237 / 499  
Hey, the deadline isn't even up yet! I would've had to use my bye anyway, but still...
posted 05-14-15 12:43 PM CT (US)     238 / 499  
I am waiting on an email from watson about the next challenge, but it will be cooking. we are still finalizing the theme of the dishes

posted 05-16-15 12:54 PM CT (US)     239 / 499  
Okay guys, so this challenge is cooking! you must choose a home-made dish from another contestant's childhood or is traditionally from another contestant's country. Watson and I will be overseeing judging, and points are awarded both for providing succinct, easy-to follow instructions and recipes in the thread, and for properly cooking the dish to the person who gave out the recipe's satisfaction. No recipe may be used by more than two people.

The person who cooks the dish gives out a score of 1-10 for the recipe's completeness and how easy to follow it was, and the person who gave out the recipe will score the finished product on a scale of 1-10. if there are multiple people using the same recipe, their scores for the recipe will be averaged.

Watson and I will be overseeing the judging and making sure nobody is either actively screwing over another competitor or is giving away undeserved points.

Any recipe unused by another player will be judged by Watson and I.

Also, Watson will be coming up with the next challenge!

Are there any questions?

posted 05-16-15 12:58 PM CT (US)     240 / 499  
I assume there will be one deadline for recipes and another for meals?

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 05-16-15 01:22 PM CT (US)     241 / 499  
that is something I should have thought of

Deadline for recipes: May 23rd.

(a week to find a recipe, two weeks to make it)

posted 05-16-15 01:44 PM CT (US)     242 / 499  
Spaghetti alla Carbonara

Something of a signature dish for me, I've served this to girls on dates, to my parents, and in bulk for my church youth group.

Ingredients (Serves Four)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 150g cheese*, grated
  • 400g dried spaghetti
  • 50ml double cream
  • 250g diced bacon lardons
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • fresh basil and black pepper

• *Cheese subject to taste, strong cheddar works well in this quantity, but the traditional choice would be 50g each of parmesan and grana padano.

Timing is everything with this meal. The spaghetti cooks incredibly quickly, but the exact time will vary based on what grade of spaghetti you use. Traditionally this is solved by adding the eggs raw to the hot spaghetti, but I'm paranoid and refuse to risk undercooking the eggs.

1. Beat the eggs together with the cream in a bowl and transfer to a small saucepan. Chop several leaves of fresh basil as desired.

2. Fry the bacon in 2 tbsp of oil on a medium heat, until it is pink and opaque. Lower the heat so that the bacon is kept warm without burning.

3. Bring a separate large pan of water gently to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instructions. Begin heating the eggs and cream on a very low heat, adding handfuls of cheese slowly and stirring gently. The aim is to mix the cheese together with the wet ingredients while retaining a sauce, not forming a solid.

4. Drain the pasta and return it to the large saucepan. Add the remaining oil and allow it to filter through, then add the liquid ingredients and bacon. Toss the pan firmly to mix, then serve with a pasta fork. Sprinkle with basil and black pepper to taste.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 05-16-2015 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 05-16-15 01:48 PM CT (US)     243 / 499  
    sounds both delicious and easy to end up with pasta with scrambled eggs.

posted 05-16-15 01:49 PM CT (US)     244 / 499  
    Even when that happens it's still pretty great.

posted 05-16-15 02:27 PM CT (US)     245 / 499  
    Hmm, intriguing theme choice. Will have to try and find a good recipe.

posted 05-18-15 05:47 AM CT (US)     246 / 499  
    Oh well, couldn't come up with a better recipe so here's a very Finnish recipe that's definitely a part of my childhood:

Korvapuustit/Cinnamon rolls/Bitch slaps
    (Direct translation of "korvapuusti" is the act of grabbing someone's ear and giving a shake to punish them)

Note: the first measurement is according to recipe, any dl -> g conversions are according to Finnish rules and substances so adjust accordingly to your own!

Dough:
    0,5 liters of milk
    50 grams of yeast
    1,5 teaspoons of salt
    2 deciliters (170 grams) of sugar
    1 tablespoon of ground cardamom (This kind)
    1 egg
    Approximately 14 deciliters (910 grams) of fine wheat flour (semi-coarse in Finland)
    100 grams of soft butter

Filling:
    100 grams of soft butter
    1 deciliter (85 g) of sugar
    2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Additionally:
    Egg for slathering
    Nib sugar for decoration

Steps:
    1. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm milk (about the same as hand temperature)
    2. Mix in salt, sugar, ground cardamom and egg
    3. Add flour gradually, first by mixing to add in air and then by hand, kneading well
    4. Add soft butter near the end of kneading
    5. Cover the dough (with a towel or whatever) and let it rise in a warm, draftless place
    6. When the dough has risen to double the size, bang it around and knead it to remove air, don't go overboard so stop when the air's out mostly
    7. Divide the dough into two pieces
    8. Use a rolling pin (or a wine bottle or something suitably cylinderical) to roll the pieces into two rectangles (approximately 30x50 cm, should be fairly thin this way)
    9. Spread the soft butter on the two dough rectangles
    10. Sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon
    11. Roll the rectangles into tight rolls (loose ones will break apart in the oven) so that the seams end up underneath the rolls. Make the rolls so that they're 50 cm wide (not 30 cm in which case they'd be too thick)
    12. Cut the rolls into 3-5 cm wide pieces so that the cuts are made moderately diagonally (like so: / \ / \ / \)
    13. Press each bun's middle (thinner part faces up like so: / \) down with your thumb to create the "ears"
    14. Let the buns rise to double size on a covered oven tray in a warm spot
    15. Heat the oven to 225 C (437 F) during this
    16. Slather the buns with egg (break the egg into a glass, whip a bit with a fork or something and use a pastry brush or fingers or whatever to spread it on) and sprinkle nib sugar on top
    17. Bake in the middle of oven in 225 C (437 F) for about 10 minutes until the buns are a nice brown shade

Here's a picture of what the end result will be (approximately anyways, I probably made these with a different recipe: Cinnamon rolls picture)

[This message has been edited by Major Helper (edited 05-18-2015 @ 12:30 PM).]

posted 05-18-15 07:59 AM CT (US)     247 / 499  
    Please convert whatever unit "dl" is into grams for your solid ingredients

posted 05-18-15 08:34 AM CT (US)     248 / 499  
    Why would anyone use weight measurement for something that can be measured easier in volume ?

Will add conversions.

posted 05-18-15 11:35 AM CT (US)     249 / 499  
    Weight measurement is easier, because you just put the stuff directly into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, until the target weight is reached.
    posted 05-18-15 12:13 PM CT (US)     250 / 499  
    Playing with the scale's harder than using a scoop IMO, but I'd imagine it depends on what one's used to

« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » AoKH Survivor Mk III
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames