loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Piece by Piece: Go Fourth
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 07-29-12 04:51 PM CT (US)   

Piece by Piece 4

Resumed

GENERAL INFORMATION

Some of you will be familiar with the Piece by Piece concept, and the recent attempt to create the fourth version, which has stalled. This thread is intended to resume it, and see it to completion.

For some of you who either have just joined the forums or have been living as a recluse confined in a solitary island, Piece By Piece (from now on referred as PbP) is a project first conceived by newIdea, in which the AoKH community share their talent and creativity to work together in one big scenario. The map itself is divided into 25 squares equal in size, small enough to be easily completed in the four day time limit, and large enough to show your skill.

Andan has started the story in the first square. After that, the next 23 squares are designed by one person each, until the final square is reached, where the team leader concludes the story. Basically, we don't come with a predefined story. Instead, Andan has begun it, and the rest of the team will continue the way they intend the story to develop.

When it's your turn, I will email you the file. You will then have four days to design your square. Email me back once you're finished with the new file. Three days will be allocated for me to review your square, fixing it if it doesn't work either due to a bug or a trigger error, and then sending the file to the next person to continue.

As always, the fundamental principle is not to make a dazzling top quality scenario, it's purely to have fun and create something the community can be proud of just for completing. Although, you know, it's nice if it can dazzle as well!

To get an idea, you can take a look at previous versions of the project:

Piece by Piece 1 (hosted by newIdea)
Piece by Piece 2 (hosted by Dave_Earl)
Piece by Piece 3 (hosted by Julius999)

It may also be useful to refer to the previous thread for Piece by Piece 4.

SQUARE ALLOCATION

No squares currently available. Let me know if you would like to sign up as a reserve.

RULES AND ORGANISATION

GENERAL

1. If I need to, I will make any further rule changes when deemed necessary. There is no limitation on this, and my interpretation of the rules is final. You may argue if your opinion is sensible.
2. If you have something to say, please write story ideas or discussion in the Victory message section, and write notes about your square in the Hints section.
3. Please do not change any of the player settings (such as the color, diplomacy, civilization, starting age, etc). If you feel the need to do it, consult it with me first.
4. Please do not change diplomacy of Player 1 towards all other players.
5. If you want player to fight a green enemy (for example), change the ownership of the units as needed rather than changing diplomacy. It's neater anyway.
6. Please avoid researching technologies. If you believe researching a technology is absolutely necessary for you square, please discuss it with me. Bear in mind that the heroes have their names changed, so technologies researched in your square will not affect them.
7. Your square should take into account the squares that have gone before. Don't abruptly transition from jungle to snow and introduce a bunch of things that don't fit into the story.

TRIGGERS

1. Please be considerate with your triggering.
2. Please give all your triggers names which mean something.
3. Please keep the number of effects in your trigger to a sensible size (for debugging purposes).
4. All your triggers should start in an “off” state. At the top of your trigger section, there is a trigger called “Activator.” Turning this on should activate all the triggers that need activating in your square. Exception: triggers that stop Gaia objects and trade carts from wandering around the map.
5. If you are using negative effects, please note this in the description box of that trigger. For example “Effect 3 is a negative effect, value -300.”
6. Please avoid using “the invisible tile” if possible. The preferred method is “the invisibility cloak”, by newIdea. You can download a tutorial on this from The Blacksmith. If you cloak an object, please make a note of this, and the unit and the battering rams' id in the description of your “notes” trigger. For example “Battering Ram Id#123 and Archer id#124 cloaked at map co-ordinate X:32, Y:54.”
7. Please do your own play-testing. If you send me a broken square I will fix it in whichever way I feel like (and is easiest). This is probably not a good thing for you.

SOUNDS

1. I'm flexible on file size, although I strongly encourage you to convert to the more economical .mp3 format.
2. If you are using a sound, please make a note of this in the description box of the trigger that plays the sound. For example “Effect 4 plays sound ‘aargh.mp3’”.
3. You may add your own custom music to accompany your square, but it must end as soon as the player reaches the next square. Bear in mind that I might reduce the music quality if the size is too large.

MAP

1. Each section of the grid is 25 x 25 squares in size.
2. The squares are marked by lines of Dirt 1/Ice. You are responsible for the line described in your 'Activator' trigger.
3. The default terrain is Grass 1. The default elevation is 1.

AI

1. The map will be using an Immobile-units style AI.
2. It will be possible to include AI effects in your squares. However, these will probably be limited to chat-detection and random-effects. If you want to include these effects, please advise me of this when your turn to design arrives, and we can work together to amend the script.
3. Please contact me via email if you’d like me to send you a copy of the AI so you can get started. If you won’t be including difficulty-dynamism, then something like Zanzard Lothar’s Immoble AI (from the Blacksmith) will be fine.

THE SCHEDULE

E4: 23rd October - 26th October | Tetsuo Shima
E5: 31st October - 3rd November | Andan

Banner by Andan, assisted by Draconian Devil.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by panel (edited 01-16-2013 @ 02:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-20-13 11:27 AM CT (US)     316 / 335  
When precisely did leif's square crash for you?

A bmp would be great.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 01-20-2013 @ 11:28 AM).]

posted 01-20-13 11:34 AM CT (US)     317 / 335  
It crashed right after Burton said to go back to the transport ship. A few seconds after that chatline appeared. The bush that was obstructing the path was already gone by then.

I'll be sending it to you when it's done.

[This message has been edited by panel (edited 01-20-2013 @ 11:35 AM).]

posted 01-20-13 11:43 AM CT (US)     318 / 335  
Got up to General R's square... great job guys! But man is it hard.

Man, Dann, you sure did wipe the... flor... with him on that one! BAM! OOO! ~ Aro
posted 01-20-13 12:19 PM CT (US)     319 / 335  
BMP sent. Should do the job.

edit: I went back to an older save file where I hadn't mistakenly entered Leif's square, but the game still crashes for me in the same place. I'm curious if anyone else gets this.

[This message has been edited by panel (edited 01-20-2013 @ 12:44 PM).]

posted 01-20-13 01:21 PM CT (US)     320 / 335  
It's great to finally see this released, despite it being quite rough still. Time for a news post perhaps?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 01-20-13 01:49 PM CT (US)     321 / 335  
Huh. Maybe some trigger in leif's square has become messed up. I'll take a look.

I don't think there should be a news post until it's working better than it is right now.

posted 01-20-13 01:55 PM CT (US)     322 / 335  
I don't think there should be a news post until it's working better than it is right now.
I second that.

It does have great potential though. The map design at least is superior than on the previous ones IMO, it looks much more organic well developed.

When Julius thinks it's ready, We'll have it back to Scenarios and news it.
posted 01-20-13 02:08 PM CT (US)     323 / 335  
Is Mithril's square broken? I can't quite seem to figure out what to do or where to go.

Man, Dann, you sure did wipe the... flor... with him on that one! BAM! OOO! ~ Aro
posted 01-20-13 06:45 PM CT (US)     324 / 335  
Is Mithril's square broken? I can't quite seem to figure out what to do or where to go.
It's basically clicking the signs. If you click the correct one you will be given a transport to cross the lake.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 01-21-13 04:58 PM CT (US)     325 / 335  
I'm just happy my square isn't causing any problems =D

YoshiX100000~AoKH's Official Playtester of All Short, Funny Viking Cutscenes by Varied Equine Species, PhD-Emeritus-Magna-cum-Laude-Esq.
Now in Fuschia!!

"I wish I knew what Yoshi's doing on the roof, especially in winter." ~Sissi
"Yoshi lived up to his name and split into 100000." ~Rocking Doom
posted 02-26-13 09:20 AM CT (US)     326 / 335  
Shoot... Could I at least be a playtester?

I swear I just missed name-change day again, Darn it!
posted 02-26-13 09:22 AM CT (US)     327 / 335  
You can always download the game from the projects section of the blacksmith and post here any bugs you might come across, but I think people already did that a while ago so Julius kind of knows what he needs to do at this point.
posted 02-26-13 09:26 AM CT (US)     328 / 335  
I was about to delete my post when I realised that.
Edit: I cant get past square 4.

I swear I just missed name-change day again, Darn it!

[This message has been edited by irwinnerdavidboy (edited 02-26-2013 @ 03:50 PM).]

posted 03-08-13 11:40 AM CT (US)     329 / 335  
Updated. Could someone give it a run-through? I've simply been unable to recreate the crash in Leif's square, so I don't know whether it's fixed.

posted 03-08-13 12:53 PM CT (US)     330 / 335  
I'm on it.

EDIT: Really weird, the game now crashes for me after the first few text lines.

[This message has been edited by panel (edited 03-08-2013 @ 01:00 PM).]

posted 03-08-13 02:04 PM CT (US)     331 / 335  
From the old file (not the one you just updated):

There are still many bugs having to do with area of change ownership (why I always change objects, not area), especially when your 5 units are squeezed in a tight area.

However, I never saw a crash until my square, when Burton tells Layne and the others his background at the old church. For some reason, when view changes to Popey's square and Layne's dad makes things explode, it crashes.

Also, some issues have to do with which game speed you play on (trigger timers go too fast or slow on some speeds).

I will try out the new file.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 03-08-13 02:55 PM CT (US)     332 / 335  
Fixed the crashing bug encountered by Panel, and re-uploaded. Had a look at the change view trigger mentioned by HockeySam - it looks fine but I redid a damage effect just in case.

I'm just not going to try to hunt out issues to do with change ownership effects that only occur sometimes, but I will fix specific instances that are pointed out. I don't want to dredge through the entire file redoing every change ownership trigger.

I have no inclination to fix the timing or format of dialogue. If anyone else wants to, feel free.

posted 03-09-13 10:01 AM CT (US)     333 / 335  
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as nitpicking. The sporadic timer issues can easily be fixed by playing on normal speed.

As for specifics, the two times the ownership sometimes doesn't work are:

1)Moving from Popey to Leif's square (if you happen to not task your units all the way into Leifs square, and only a couple enter it, then everybody changes ownership but only the couple move on, the rest get stuck in Popey's and don't get changed back.

2) Moving from Yoshi to Matt's square (another really thin path where a trigger tasks many units to an area). This one isn't too much of a problem, as the units here don't continue to the next square, and are removed after a cutscene. The only issue is a)If Layne is stuck in Yoshi's square when the task effect sends 7 guys up the thin path, and b)If the others get stuck in the path and block Layne from moving up to the hermit and the scroll.

Again, these two issues are very much up to chance, and nothing that a recent savegame won't fix. I hope this helped.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 03-09-13 06:01 PM CT (US)     334 / 335  
Thanks, I'll get on those issues.

posted 03-09-13 11:49 PM CT (US)     335 / 335  
For one , there is still no defeat message and no game over when you accidentally kill one of the party members.

Also, I still get the same bug in Leif's square Since you guys don't seem to encounter it, I'll try again on another computer to see if I get a different result.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Piece by Piece: Go Fourth
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames