loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Piece By Piece, The Third
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 23  Next Page »
posted 11-19-08 04:00 PM CT (US)   
It's back!

Available For Download!

What is this?

For those of you who have arrived since the last community project, or somehow missed the first two (do you live under a rock? Just asking), Piece by Piece is a project conceived by newIdea where the community works together to create a scenario. The map is divided into 25 equal squares, and the host starts the story in the first one. Then the next 23 squares are each designed by one person, with the host concluding the story in the final square. The squares are small enough to be easily completed in the four day time limit, but large enough to show off your talent.

When it's your turn, I will email you the file. You will then have four days to design your square. Email me back once you're finished with the new file. Three days will be allocated for me checking your square, fixing it if it doesn't work, and sending the file to the next person. Then it's the next person's turn.

There is no restriction on who can take part. The aim is not to make a dazzling top quality scenario, it's to have fun and create something the community can be proud of just for completing.

While you're waiting for your turn, why not take a look at the two finished community projects?

Piece by Piece, hosted by newIdea
Piece by Piece 2, hosted by Dave_Earl

What Can I Do In Four Days?

Mostly, it's up to you. If you like, you can just make your square some scenery with no triggers. If you have more time available, you can do a mini-game, cut-scene, riddle or anything else that fits into your 25x25 square.

The Grid

The following grid has been kindly made by Lord Basse:

Rules (Pinched from Dave_Earl)

GENERAL

* If I need to, I will make any further rule changes I think sensible. There is no limitation on this, and my interpretation of the rules is final (though you may argue and persuade me, I can change my mind).
* Please do not change any of the player settings (such as the colour, diplomacy, civilisation, starting age etc etc).
* Please do not change diplomacy of Player 1.
* If you want player to fight a green enemy (for example), change the ownership of the units as needed rather than changing diplomacy. It's neater anyway.
* Please avoid researching technologies. If you believe researching a technology is absolutely necessary for you square, please discuss it with me. Bear in mind that the heroes have their names changed, so technologies researched in your square will not affect them.

TRIGGERS

* Please be considerate with your triggering.
* Please give all your triggers names which mean something.
* Please keep the number of effects in your trigger to a sensible size (for debugging purposes).
* All your triggers should start in an “off” state. At the top of your trigger section, there is a trigger called “Activator.” Turning this on should activate all the triggers that need activating in your square. Exception: triggers that stop Gaia objects and trade carts from wandering around the map.
* At the top of your trigger section is a trigger named “notes.” In the trigger description box, please describe anything strange or unusual about your square.
* If you are using negative effects, please note this in the description box of that trigger. For example “Effect 3 is a negative effect, value -300.”
* Please avoid using “the invisible tile” is possible. The preferred method is “the invisibility cloak”, by newIdea. You can download a tutorial on this from The Blacksmith. If you cloak an object, please make a note of this, and the unit and the battering rams’s id in the description of your “notes” trigger. For example “Battering Ram Id#123 and Archer id#124 cloaked at map co-ordinate X:32, Y:54.”
* Please do your own play-testing. If you send me a broken square I will fix it in whichever way I feel like (and is easiest). This is probably not a good thing for you.

SOUNDS

* I'm flexible on file size, although I strongly encourage you to convert to the more economical .mp3 format.
* If you are using a sound , please make a note of this in the description box of the trigger that plays the sound. For example “Effect 4 plays sound ‘aargh.mp3’.

MAP

* Each section of the grid is 25 x 25 squares in size.
* The squares are marked by lines of Dirt_one/Ice. You are responsible for the line described in your 'Activator' trigger.
* The default terrain is grass 1. The default elevation is 1.

AI

* The map will be using an Immobile-units style AI.
* It will be possible to include AI effects in your squares. However, these will probably be limited to chat-detection and random-effects. If you want to include these effects, please advise me of this when your turn to design arrives, and we can work together to amend the script.
* Please contact me via email if you’d like me to send you a copy of the ai so you can get started. If you won’t be including difficulty-dynamism, then something like Zandard Lothar’s Immoble AI (from the Blacksmith) will be fine.

Taking Part

All you need to do to take part is sign up here with your email included, taking one of the slots below. I do ask however that if you sign up you treat this as a commitment. I'm absolutely fine with you needing to swap with someone else or dropping out, but please don't disappear off the face of the planet without a word. If this happens, your square will be allocated to the first reserve to post asking for it. So if all the squares are taken, it's still worth signing up as a reserve.

If you don't want to post your email, you can contact me at julius749[at]yahoo.com. Please make your forum username the subject of your email!

Schedule (Subject To Change)
Square the First: -23rd November
2. 24th November - 27th November - Impeached
3. 1st December - 4th December - newIdea
4. 8th December - 11th December - Hunnic Paladin
5. 15th December - 18th December - Fattybryce
6. 22nd December - 27th December - Jimmy2
7. 29th December - 1st January - General_Short

8. 5th January - 8th January - Turty
9. 12th January - 15th January - Glython
10. 19th January - 22th January - Lord Basse
11. 26th January - 29th January - Andan
12. 2nd February - 5th February - VonCorgath
13. 9th February - 12th February - matty
14. 16th February - 19th February - Jatayu
15. 23rd February - 26th February - Tanks_fst
16. 2nd March - 5th March - Morgoth
17. 9th March - 12th March - Haroth
18. 16th March - 19th March - Popeychops
19. 23rd March - 26th March - Dave_Earl
20. 30th March - 2nd April - Lord Fadawah
21. 6th April - 9th April - Warlord002
22. 13th April - 16th April - Yoshi
23. 20th April - 23rd April - Dead_End
24. 27th April - 30th April - Imperium60
Square the Last: 1st May - 7th May

Projected Release: 8th May

Reserves (Have Priority):
Figgy
Mashek
Daftpanzer
Zebra
YoDaI
Absent Reserves:
White Champion
Dark_Reign
Cilibinarii
Madhu

Design Honours

No Bugs: Impeached, newIdea, Fattybryce, Matty, Jatayu, Popeychops, Dave_Earl, Lord Fadawah, Warlord002, Dead_End
Finished Early: newIdea, Hunnic Paladin, Fattybryce, Glython, Jatayu, Tanks_fst, Popeychops, Lord Fadawah, YoshiX100000
Best Map Design: Turtov
Best Atmosphere: Dave_Earl
Best Story Segment: Andan
Best Gameplay: Lord Basse
Julius' Personal Favourite: Jatayu

Yes, these are all subjective and don't mean anything. Just my view. None of these were straightforward choices, and there are many other good squares. Please don't hurt me.

If you wish, you may vote for your own choices in the above categories. See Post 730.

Banner by Lord Basse.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 05-16-2009 @ 03:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-19-08 04:02 PM CT (US)     1 / 789  
Sign me up.

ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com

EDIT: I can do square 2 (I'm flexible if anyone wants to take square two).

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 11-19-2008 @ 04:09 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 04:05 PM CT (US)     2 / 789  
Sign me up:

Siggy1993[at]gmail[dot]com.

Actually, I'd like Square 7, please.

◓◓◓◓◓

[This message has been edited by Mapppp (edited 11-19-2008 @ 04:15 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 04:11 PM CT (US)     3 / 789  
turty11@gmail.com

Please give me square 7, 8, or 9. Thank you.
posted 11-19-08 04:59 PM CT (US)     4 / 789  
10. 19th January - 22th January - Lord Basse
Pre-ordering is always good. Anyhow, it's great to see this back, the previous ones were a great experiense to work on. Just checked which dates I'm getting and, thankfully, they work wonderfully, so you won't have any trouble with me changing workdays and stuff Julius (or so I hope).

Also, sly, this needs to be in the news. Go to work, hurry hurry!
After Lord Basse complained, I have spent literally seconds of effort on producing this pixelated grid
After Julius complained asked, I have spent literally seconds minutes on producing this thought-to-be banner, or whatever it might become later on

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] || [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ ||____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalλn (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 11-19-08 04:59 PM CT (US)     5 / 789  
I'm glad this is still going. Take care of it, Julius.

I'll take number 3.
[edit: removed email address]

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 01-18-2018 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 05:39 PM CT (US)     6 / 789  
I'll take number 17, it's an exam free zone then.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 11-19-08 06:12 PM CT (US)     7 / 789  
Up already?

I'll take Square 6 thanks. You already know my email.

By the way, is there a story we're to follow or are you going to suggest one later?

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 11-19-2008 @ 06:18 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 06:41 PM CT (US)     8 / 789  
I'll take 5 thanks. I don't mind doing Christmas.
It's nice to see my complaining that we need one of these actualy got something done. who would have thought.

I think we should have a new story. Or a story based off the last one but revolves around a different character or place. Vote on it?

The Wall

coming soon
posted 11-19-08 06:50 PM CT (US)     9 / 789  
The story should be silly.

But have potential....

Like... a farmer who goes to look for a jaguar that ran away with his wife.
Maybe that's not so funny, but it's... ridiculous.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi

[This message has been edited by Zebra Poptart (edited 11-19-2008 @ 09:47 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 09:11 PM CT (US)     10 / 789  
Oooo piece 9 please.
Sounds exciting!

(I'm getting my PC fixed today *cheers all round* so I'll create a free email and update it here once I get my PC back. This mac can't load things like hotmail - lol.)

The release is the day before my birthday. Considering it will most likely be released UK time, it will be released on my birthday. Thanks for the present Julius =).
posted 11-19-08 10:38 PM CT (US)     11 / 789  
Piece 2 please. Next week is probably the only one when I'll have time.

atjoslin@earthlink.net

And I definitely agree with Poptart. Let's have a story that does not take itself seriously.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 11-19-2008 @ 10:39 PM).]

posted 11-19-08 10:50 PM CT (US)     12 / 789  
And I definitely agree with Poptart. Let's have a story that does not take itself seriously.
No, it'd be better to have a quality, decent story that one can actually be drawn into. To keep us following the long line of squares. But if it has to be silly, let it actually be original and not too cheesy or cliche.

I guess it really wouldn't matter anyway. People will decide whether or not to make their square serious or humourous.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 11-19-2008 @ 10:51 PM).]

posted 11-20-08 00:31 AM CT (US)     13 / 789  
Also, sly, this needs to be in the news. Go to work, hurry hurry!
Less than an hour after it's posted and you're telling me to hurry up and get a news post up? Gimme a break, man.

Anyways, best of luck with hosting this Julius, and I eagerly await the finished product! Unfortunately I don't have the time to work on a square at the moment, and besides, I think it'd be better off without me getting my grubby paws all over it.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.

[This message has been edited by sly guy (edited 11-20-2008 @ 00:32 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 01:32 AM CT (US)     14 / 789  
I'll take 2, 6, or 8...

I'm sorta flexible but I can't be too reliable, depending on which square I get.

general.short666@gmail.com

Please, no references to Satan...

__--==_General Short_==--__

__Legend of the Wandering King_90%|William Wallace Campaign_99%|Siege of Yorktown_14%__

[This message has been edited by General_Short (edited 11-20-2008 @ 01:40 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 02:21 AM CT (US)     15 / 789  
Throw me square 11

quaazi1337[at]yahoo[dot]com

Ain't I leet?

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 11-20-08 02:54 AM CT (US)     16 / 789  
Glad to see the squares going fast, I was slightly afraid we wouldn't have enough designers. Thanks for signing up.

Zebra Poptart, I hate to do this but could I ask you to take a different square? It's just that Impeached might not be able to take any other than 2.

And Mashek, you don't really want the Christmas slot do you? I'm trying to fit in General_Short.
I'm glad this is still going. Take care of it, Julius.
I'll do my best.

To clear up a few things:
We're having a new story, sarted by me in the first square. It is sort of semi-serious in that there is a sensible-ish plotline but has scope for jokes/cameos/etc.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 11-20-2008 @ 02:59 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 03:10 AM CT (US)     17 / 789  
Put me up for #12

Jatayu O===| /
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-20-08 04:33 AM CT (US)     18 / 789  
I'm pumped, fixed my PC. Email: sly_jo@live.com
posted 11-20-08 04:37 AM CT (US)     19 / 789  
Good to know that you decided to take a step forth with this, Julius. You're the man suited for the job. I'll take #13 please, if it hasn't been taken. E-mail in profile or SWS site.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 11-20-08 04:39 AM CT (US)     20 / 789  
I can swap with Short if you like, but other than that I really can't afford to have a slot any later than Christmas.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 11-20-2008 @ 04:40 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 04:56 AM CT (US)     21 / 789  
posted 11-20-08 08:56 AM CT (US)     22 / 789  
Ill sign up for a later slot

Dustinking_85@hotmail.com

Know god, No fear
No god, Know fear
posted 11-20-08 09:03 AM CT (US)     23 / 789  
give me 15 please.

And you have my email, but here it is anyway:

matt.livecchi@gmail.com

EDIT: also, be a touch of a jerk and make people keep somewhat consistent with story. If you don't, it will get ruined like the first two did.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Matt LiVecchi (edited 11-20-2008 @ 09:10 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 10:46 AM CT (US)     24 / 789  
Aargh, scheduling headache. I've done what I can, if anyone is unhappy with their current square and dates, say so.

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 11-20-2008 @ 10:52 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 11:23 AM CT (US)     25 / 789  
I'll do 2nd March - 5th March (Peice 16!)

Email: jake_anderson_007@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Tanks_fst (edited 11-20-2008 @ 11:24 AM).]

posted 11-20-08 11:54 AM CT (US)     26 / 789  
I'll do no. 18, 16th - 19th March pls
thestrangestone@hotmail.co.uk
posted 11-20-08 02:36 PM CT (US)     27 / 789  
Meh, what the hell.

#19 for meee!

jayanf (at) gmail (dot) com
posted 11-20-08 03:33 PM CT (US)     28 / 789  
Okay, everyone. Announcement. The first PbP suffered grievously from delays, and although we learned lessons in the second, we still fell behind. I would really like to prove that we can not only finish a community project, but finish it on time. This will hopefully also minimise drop-outs.

So, seeing as we have almost every square taken and the first section is done, I would like to start the project straight away. If at some point this messes up your planned dates, I'm happy to be a bit flexible.

Impeached, are you ready to receive the file tomorrow?

posted 11-20-08 03:46 PM CT (US)     29 / 789  
I'll take square 21.

My e-mail is warrlord002@yahoo.com.

The two rs are intentional.

I hope I'll have time to finish it, but I'll probably end up making a very plot-light square like Scud or Impeached's in the Second Piece by Piece.

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
posted 11-20-08 04:17 PM CT (US)     30 / 789  
EDIT: I can do square 2 (I'm flexible if anyone wants to take square two).
Zebra Poptart, I hate to do this but could I ask you to take a different square? It's just that Impeached might not be able to take any other than 2.
Don't sweat it Julius. I got your back.
If Impeached is needy, let him be needy. Jk
Kind of.

Ztart
ZebraPoptart@Gmail.com
Poppi
posted 11-20-08 07:59 PM CT (US)     31 / 789  
Impeached, are you ready to receive the file tomorrow?
Yessiry.

me
posted 11-20-08 08:21 PM CT (US)     32 / 789  
Do we already have a storyline? Cause if we don't here's an epic idea:

You're a door-to-door salesman trying to sell a random gadget (packed trebuchet, possibly). Each square is a house, and people are free to add in whatever reaction the house owner has to your sales attempts. It'd be silly but awesome.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 11-21-08 00:27 AM CT (US)     33 / 789  
Aargh, scheduling headache. I've done what I can, if anyone is unhappy with their current square and dates, say so.
As long as I have my December 22, 23, and 24, I'm ok.

__--==_General Short_==--__

__Legend of the Wandering King_90%|William Wallace Campaign_99%|Siege of Yorktown_14%__
posted 11-21-08 00:50 AM CT (US)     34 / 789  
Do we already have a storyline? Cause if we don't here's an epic idea:

You're a door-to-door salesman trying to sell a random gadget (packed trebuchet, possibly). Each square is a house, and people are free to add in whatever reaction the house owner has to your sales attempts. It'd be silly but awesome.
We do, and that's a horrible story.

Jatayu O===| /
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 11-21-08 10:03 AM CT (US)     35 / 789  
So what is the story?
No.

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 23  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Piece By Piece, The Third
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames