Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Work-In-Progress: Heart of the Dragon
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 02-18-17 09:16 AM CT (US)   

This is a work-in-progress thread dedicated to the sequel of Blood of the Bear, and epic conclusion to the two part series titled Heart of the Dragon.

I remember I once said back in 2010 that I would complete this project within the next five years. It was a reasonably good joke at the time because back then five years seemed like an awful amount of time. Several years later, I've now resolved myself to saying better late than never, and so here I am!

In my mind, designing is as much about discovery and the exploration of ideas and creativity than the overall finished product. Heart of the Dragon reflects such a journey. Since 2010, I have started and restarted this project at least a half dozen times, seemingly unable to find anything that worked for me. Mostly life just got in the way. It was only until the last several months that I have finally been able to make good progress on what I hope will ultimately be a satisfying conclusion to the series. Below, you will find a little more information about this project.

In addition, Blood of the Bear received an extensive update earlier this year to bring it more in line with changes made to the sequel. For better or worse, all the dialogue and writing has been rewritten and tightened, with numerous fixes made to the game play among other things. Download it here!

STORY

The survivors of Erryth are in a desperate bid to reach the safety of Argeron before the Kretharns catch up to them in a deadly pincer. Led by their ailing King and stalwart Count, many hardships yet await them since their noble victory only days earlier. They must now steel themselves for what is to come.

To Erertiya's south, a newly-elected king has taken his father's mantle to lead the ravaging Kretharn armies to certain victory. For Axarix, it is more than just about fulfilling a father's wish and restoring his family's honour, it has become a way of life. Wardrik's death has only ushered into fiery resolve, and one way or another he will see to Erertiya's demise.

FEATURES

• An emotional and epic conclusion to the Kretharn War series, spanning four scenarios which includes two playable and two cinematic

• Thrilling defend-the-spot and fixed force game play with an epic scope seldom seen before in any similar campaign

• Immersive cinematic narrative, with strong emphasis on storytelling

• Plenty of atmosphere about as well as can be done in the AoK setting

• Highly-detailed and realistic map design, created with great care and effort

• A soundtrack consisting of over 100 custom sound effects and music which compliment all three of game play, map design and storytelling

• Complex trigger mechanics offering unique game play experiences and challenges for all difficulty levels

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

What format will this project be designed for? ~ 1.0c and Userpatch. I'd potentially buy into HD if it wasn't such a broken mess. Despite its limitations, the vanilla editor, coupled with Userpatch, still offers a great format to design with when used well.

Will Standard Difficulty be more attuned to the common gamer? ~ Yes and no. This was an issue with Blood of the Bear, and I am working on ways to make it substantially easier than moderate and hard difficulty, but it will be no walk in the park either.

Can we expect any humour in this project? ~ If my previous submissions are any indicator, then no.

When can we expect a release? ~ Sometime in 2018.

SCREENSHOTS

"Cold Dawn"
    The survivors of Erryth slowly trudge through the fields before Argeron, the capital city of Erertiya.
    Freedom and the safety of the city's high walls awaits them.

"The King's Keep"
    Castle Halnur stands as a bleak display in the cold night surrounding Argeron.

"Lamentations"
    General Hamandis laments in the King's Court of Argeron.

"Graves"
    Count Jaerith struggles with his own inner demons as he dreams about his fallen love and wife.

"The Destroyer"
    Axarix, the son of Wardrik, continues his obsession for vengeance as his armies carve a bloody swathe across the Erertiyan plains.
    The ultimate prize: the fortress city and capital Argeron.

"The Lesser Gate"
    One of two entrances that enter the fortress-city of Argeron.

"The Geljheim"
    The eastern-most part of Argeron is well defended by an impregnable keep known among the Erertiyans as the Geljheim.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 03-09-2018 @ 06:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-18-17 10:36 AM CT (US)     1 / 83  
So many spoilers!

Looks great!

Hmmm...does this thread mean you want some playtesters? Im interested if so

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 02-18-17 02:00 PM CT (US)     2 / 83  
posted 02-18-17 05:18 PM CT (US)     3 / 83  
What a time to live in!

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 02-18-17 07:08 PM CT (US)     4 / 83  
So many spoilers!
Not particularly! The ones that could be considered to do so are from the remake of a cut-scene many people have already seen, so really there shouldn't be any surprises. The story details also relate to Blood of the Bear.
Hmmm...does this thread mean you want some playtesters? Im interested if so.
Eventually. I'll let you know when I'm ready.
posted 02-18-17 07:52 PM CT (US)     5 / 83  
Not particularly! The ones that could be considered to do so are from the remake of a cut-scene many people have already seen, so really there shouldn't be any surprises. The story details also relate to Blood of the Bear.
I played that one back in 2010 or '11 i think, it was very good. If the cut scene was part of that campaign i did see it, otherwise i dont pay attention to stand-alone cinematic files.
I was kidding mostly

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
posted 02-18-17 08:52 PM CT (US)     6 / 83  
The cut-scene in question was this one from way back in 2006. It's not worth watching, but it would technically slot right in after the cut-scene you watched in Blood of the Bear. The remake is much better, and will probably be the first file on hand for playtesting as it's just about complete.
...otherwise i dont pay attention to stand-alone cinematic files.
You're certainly missing out. Legends of Chila, Fight Against Fate, Immortal Prey and Day of the Red Moon are just some of my personal favourites and well worth investing time toward if you like storytelling and good design.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 02-18-2017 @ 08:56 PM).]

posted 02-18-17 11:01 PM CT (US)     7 / 83  
I got Legends of Chila a few days ago, its in the queue already Ill consider the others if that turns out good
I was curious about that cinematic scenario category for once, so i looked around for the one that people said was the best there.

Edit;I left a comment on Legends of Chila if your interested. Spoiler;it was good

[This message has been edited by Cataphract887 (edited 02-19-2017 @ 12:09 PM).]

posted 02-18-17 11:27 PM CT (US)     8 / 83  
Of course, everyone's experience and taste is subjective; just so long as you don't mind kicking back and watching for a few minutes, while also appreciating the visual and storytelling effects that come along with cut-scenes, then you should really have no problem.

It's another reason why I'm such a huge fan of cut-scenes because they allow for creative visual storytelling where writing a bunch of paragraphs in the pre-instructions screen isn't nearly as effective (although I tend to favour both formats).
posted 02-19-17 09:30 AM CT (US)     9 / 83  
It's nice to see this finally go public! I've already given extensive feedback over at SWS, but I'll naturally be keeping a close eye on this one!

Also, it goes without saying that I'm willing to test when you need

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 02-19-17 04:23 PM CT (US)     10 / 83  
I got Legends of Chila a few days ago, its in the queue already Ill consider the others if that turns out good
I was curious about that cinematic scenario category for once, so i looked around for the one that people said was the best there.

Edit;I left a comment on Legends of Chila if your interested. Spoiler;it was good
Yeah, Legends of Chila is pretty good.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 02-19-17 09:23 PM CT (US)     11 / 83  
Huzzah!

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 02-19-17 10:35 PM CT (US)     12 / 83  
Love the screenies!

Scenarios:
Divine War (rated 4.4)
Phoenix trailer (rated 3.8)
Proud Member of Black Forest Studios

It`s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
posted 02-20-17 10:25 AM CT (US)     13 / 83  
One day Mash will make a scenario about a green land of bright green grass and filled with living green trees with the deer frolicking in the woods and care-free villagers going about their daily work...

Looks good and I'm sure will be exciting!

posted 02-20-17 02:59 PM CT (US)     14 / 83  
Many thanks everyone!
One day Mash will make a scenario about a green land of bright green grass and filled with living green trees with the deer frolicking in the woods and care-free villagers going about their daily work...
I do have such a project in the works, which I plan to follow up on and complete after this. Imagine that scene, and then marauding hordes of Danes suddenly appearing.

Besides, coldness and darkness is very fun to work with in the editor!

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 02-20-2017 @ 04:41 PM).]

posted 02-20-17 05:55 PM CT (US)     15 / 83  
I do have such a project in the works, which I plan to follow up on and complete after this.
I reckon you said almost these exact words about ten years ago.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 02-20-17 08:31 PM CT (US)     16 / 83  
Sounds about right!

There's a whole heap of projects with green designs sitting in the editor unfinished, it's just so hard to find time let alone the motivation to finish them all. Aethelflaed for example is about 60% complete, but is still in need of a whole lot of modding.

I did notice that haunted wood scenario that I sent you all those years ago - I'd completely forgotten about it! I've transferred it to a smaller map using UP, and I reckon I could probably whip up a decent story and some game play if I had the time. The only other problem is, it's another one of those dastardly cold and dark scenarios.

[This message has been edited by Mash (edited 02-21-2017 @ 06:16 PM).]

posted 02-21-17 10:56 PM CT (US)     17 / 83  
When it comes to green landscape designs, it's hard to distinguish the styles between designers like Mash, Julius, Basse and Sam (and maybe myself to some degree).

On the subject of bleak designs though, honestly speaking, when someone sends me screenshots from this thread --particularly the "Destroyer" and "Desolation" ones -- without mentioning who the designer is, I'd know that it was Mash. No idea how to explain it though. Maybe the occassional snow tiles, dead farm-dirt 1 terrain mixing, and autumn oak trees mixes with snow pines? Anyone has a better opinion?

Anyway, best of luck with all the Bears and Dragons!

posted 02-21-17 11:47 PM CT (US)     18 / 83  
All set in the same place so I'm glad he's kept the terrain, civs and colours consistent! They're stuck in a forever-winter unfortunately!

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 02-22-17 00:26 AM CT (US)     19 / 83  
When it comes to green landscape designs, it's hard to distinguish the styles between designers like Mash, Julius, Basse and Sam (and maybe myself to some degree).
I actually think the map design by HockeySam and Julius are more closely related to one another when concerning green designs, particularly with forests and dirt tracks. Also Julius and his grass 3 love child.
On the subject of bleak designs though, honestly speaking, when someone sends me screenshots from this thread --particularly the "Destroyer" and "Desolation" ones -- without mentioning who the designer is, I'd know that it was Mash. No idea how to explain it though.
Or maybe because no one else is so obsessed with dark wintry settings as I am? It's a given really.
All set in the same place so I'm glad he's kept the terrain, civs and colours consistent! They're stuck in a forever-winter unfortunately!
Now, now, it might have taken me seven years just to get to this point, but in the story it's only a couple weeks into winter!
posted 02-22-17 09:55 AM CT (US)     20 / 83  
I've definitely borrowed some stylistic elements from Julius over the years, haha, and from a few others as well! Until recently, I've never begun a map with grass 3, though. It's far and away the best-looking of the grass terrains, but I find it more difficult to mix the grass terrains effectively if I begin with grass 3 than if I begin with grass 1, so I've tended to avoid it. Storm on the Steppe was an exception because the map was really more dirt than grass, so I used grass 3 as a base because it blended better with the dirt terrains than grass 1 did.

One design style that I find is often overlooked here is that of the German designers from AgeArena. They've got a bunch of nifty tricks and an overall different way of designing maps that nevertheless tends to consistently produce excellent results.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 02-22-17 11:20 AM CT (US)     21 / 83  
One design style that I find is often overlooked here is that of the German designers from AgeArena.
If Andreas Marscheider's work is representative of the AgeArena style i would agree;any map with a the aMa stamp over the years has a consistent style and its really a nice look. Havnt tried to browse their website yet;my only german experience is from failing to get started properly with a german course in high school, so its really not much.

posted 02-22-17 01:44 PM CT (US)     22 / 83  
aMa and Ingo are probably the best known on AoKH of the German designers, but Gunther Zengerle and S_M_T also have great scenarios (Halfdan and Brelda) uploaded here, Jernside and Andi Wagner also have produced some excellent works, and Bassi has produced some of the best work to ever touch the Steam Workshop.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-22-17 04:34 PM CT (US)     23 / 83  
a dream come true!
posted 02-22-17 04:57 PM CT (US)     24 / 83  
The overall-quality of the agearena maps is quite well, since only maps were uploaded, which aMa thought to be good enough. Therefore there must have been a lot of scenarios through all the years, which have never seen the light of day, because they were denied by aMa.

Moreover, there has always been much focus on the map design, since aMa attached importance to that very much. When me an other designers started our "careers", we were all young teenagers (round about 14 years old at that time) and of course we were highly influenced by aMa's maps, which were ranked as the ne plus ultra. So I think most of us somehow tried to copy his style, which led to a good overall-quality.
posted 02-23-17 02:38 AM CT (US)     25 / 83  
Halfdan was something else. I don't think I've ever seen any other designer who is capable of making such a beautifully-designed map, with significant attention to detail and well-thought out terrain and object placement -- all of them in a big map which contains almost no unused space. Günther Zengerle nailed it perfectly.

p.s.: sorry to drive this project thread off the intended topic, by the way.

[This message has been edited by Andanu Trisatya (edited 02-23-2017 @ 03:03 AM).]

posted 02-23-17 09:55 PM CT (US)     26 / 83  
Oh my goodness. *start hyperventilating*

This is actually happening.

This is actually happening!

I will watch this thread with great interest. And come this summer, I can help with modding for Aethelfirth if your request for help is still open.
posted 02-25-17 03:21 PM CT (US)     27 / 83  
my only german experience is from failing to get started properly with a german course in high school, so its really not much.
My issue was talking too much and not paying attention, something I now regret.
Halfdan was something else. I don't think I've ever seen any other designer who is capable of making such a beautifully-designed map, with significant attention to detail and well-thought out terrain and object placement -- all of them in a big map which contains almost no unused space. Günther Zengerle nailed it perfectly.

p.s.: sorry to drive this project thread off the intended topic, by the way.
That's fine, just so long as you're active. For the record, Halfdan's map design is probably my absolute favourite in terms of a build-and-destroy scenario. It has just the right look and feel, and I thought the playability aspect to it was marvelous. It's incredibly difficult to design to that quality on such a large map, but the designer managed that very well.
Oh my goodness. *start hyperventilating*

I will watch this thread with great interest. And come this summer, I can help with modding for Aethelfirth if your request for help is still open.
*hands over brown paper bag*

Thanks Seonid! I definitely intend to work on Aethelflaed once this is complete. I jumped around from project-to-project too much in the past, which essentially meant nothing ever got done. One project at a time for now!
posted 03-03-17 03:25 PM CT (US)     28 / 83  
If I had to make one critique of Halfdan, it would be that the player is always strapped for room to build. It feels like you have to spend hours chopping down the map to make room for military bases, especially when you get to fighting the enemies whose bases are further away. That's a relatively minor fault in the grand scheme of things, though.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 03-03-17 09:18 PM CT (US)     29 / 83  
I just played through Bassi's "Ordensbrüder" really great stuff! A bit of a struggle to figure out what to do as i couldnt understand the german, but probably worth it, at least for me(a bit time consuming though, clocked in at around 4:00 hours ingame ) Good map design, tough challenges, very closely balanced. The story seemed pretty good judging by its volume and voice acting, and anyway the main ideas came through to me what was going on. The only negative i would say is how cramped the B&D siege breakout is, and maybe how sometimes the enemies are appearing out of thin air a bit much. But i think the fact it kept a non german speaker playing for 4 hours ingame speaks for itself on how good it is.

Halfdan was a good one as well, been awhile since i played it. I put it in my queue but so are a hundred other things lined up

posted 03-11-17 07:05 PM CT (US)     30 / 83  
Just an update: I've sent out one of the scenarios to some playtesters of mine, and received very good feedback. Just a few edits and that file will be complete. I have also been making progress on the other files, but really it's just a matter of finding the right space and time to truly get stuck into it, which has been a little challenging given how busy things have been lately.
If I had to make one critique of Halfdan, it would be that the player is always strapped for room to build. It feels like you have to spend hours chopping down the map to make room for military bases, especially when you get to fighting the enemies whose bases are further away. That's a relatively minor fault in the grand scheme of things, though.
That's certainly true, but I kind of like the restrictive map design. It gave a great sense of atmosphere to the snowy, sometimes mysterious design, and made it all the more challenging trying to fight your way through to the enemy's bases.
I just played through Bassi's "Ordensbrüder" really great stuff!
I might have to try and download a few of these German designs some day. Given the similarities in our language, I've always found I was able to figure out what was generally being said in some that I played despite not being a fluent German speaker myself.
posted 03-12-17 08:22 AM CT (US)     31 / 83  
@Cataphract887:
Thank you for your kind words. If you enjoyed "Ordensbrüder", I'm sure you will also like "Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada Part II". While the first part of this series is quite a Standard B&D Scenario (2007), the second part (2011) is a mix of FF and B&D with a lot of cut Scenes and Story input. All textlines voiced as well, more than 800 triggers.

http://agearena.de/e2/e2_spiel/inhalt/gonzalo.htm#,,

Like in "Ordensbrüder" a lot of other famous german Designers do the voice Overs, so you have aMa, Andi Wagner, Jernside and a lot of others in it was well, so it's a real AgeArea "product".
posted 03-12-17 11:27 AM CT (US)     32 / 83  
I remember having lots of fun playing Blood of the bear a few years ago. Can't wait to play the sequel. The ending cinematic was quite a cliffhanger.
posted 03-18-17 02:47 AM CT (US)     33 / 83  
Thanks Schwarz_Lizard. The sequel's been a lot of fun to design - hopefully when it's complete it's on par with or better than Blood of the Bear.
posted 04-09-17 01:19 PM CT (US)     34 / 83  
It was quiet for quite some time and I wonder now. Mash, how is it going?

Co-creator and leader of Monsoon Studios

You are kneeling with your tongue out? What exactly do you think is going to happen here? - Matt

A drush is not a knockout punch; it is the first punch in a combo - Barbarossa
posted 04-11-17 05:00 AM CT (US)     35 / 83  
I've made some progress here and there but it's been very busy with real life - a lot of changes at work and in general other areas.

I have holidays coming up next week so I hope to make a bit of progress then.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Work-In-Progress: Heart of the Dragon
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames