Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Graphics Modding Competition 2015 - RESULTS POSTED
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-26-15 11:06 AM CT (US)   

Well, it's only been the better part of two decades, but it is finally time for the very first ever Age of Kings Heaven Graphics Modding Competition! That's right, not another contest for those scenario designing freaks, this is a competition for the modders of our community. So, break out your favourite modelling or image editing software and create something original and exciting!

The premise is simple. Design two graphics, one a building, the second a piece of eye candy, zip your slp's and send them in. Then sit back and see how your talents match up against the other members of AOKH's most artistic sub-forum.

Rules
1. All entries must contain one [1] building and one [1] piece of eye candy. The building must be size 5x5 (wonder size), or smaller. While no points will be automatically given to larger buildings, the judges will naturally have more to be impressed by when judging large complicated buildings like wonders or castles, and less for buildings like towers or houses.

The eye candy may be any reasonable size, may be still or animated, and may consist of one rotation or as many as eight. Nature objects such as rocks, trees, mountains, flowers, etc would all qualify, as would things like flags, ruins, goods, statues, etc. The main limitation is the object must be stationary.

2. All entries must be received by September 30, 2015. Entries may be submitted to the blacksmith or by email to me. The name of the zip file should be in the format GMC15 - entry_name.zip.

3. All forms of graphical modding, including both 3D modelling and 'cut and paste' graphics will be accepted and are encouraged. Graphics which are purely extractions from other games are not permitted.

4. The graphics must be the completely original work of the creator. For 3D models, the model should be designed by the creator personally, or at a minimum contain enough new work so as to be undoubtedly original. Renders of existing online models are not accepted without significant entrant modification.

For cut and paste graphics, while it is acceptable to paste from graphics previously designed by others, the final product should not resemble any existing graphic too heavily. The exception to this are the ES graphics for the game itself, which may be used with no limitations.

Disqualification of entries for relying too heavily off of preexisting work will be at the discretion of the judges. Please report any possible plagiarism directly to the judges in this thread or through email.

5. Entries should be new work not already submitted to the blacksmith or available elsewhere online. Previously created graphics are obviously accepted, provided they are being seen for the first time in this competition.

6. All entries should consist of two slp's, and where necessary, a modified .dat file. The .dat file is allowed only for the purpose of utilizing the new graphics correctly in game. No points are available for data editing 'tricks'.

In addition, each entry should also include a screenshot showing both graphics in game. No points will be awarded or subtracted on the design quality of the screenshot.

7. Previews of entries should not be posted in thread or anywhere on the forum until after judging is complete. Any entries submitted as blacksmith files will not be approved until the scoring has been finalized.

Scoring
Each judge will score all entries out of a maximum of 50 points, with the final score being a summed total of all three judges' scores, for a highest possible total of 150 points. The entry with the highest score is the winner. In case of a tie between two entries, the entry rated higher by two out of the three judges will be placed above the other.

The criteria for scoring are as follows:

Originality/Uniqueness - 10 points
Simply a rating of how unique a graphic is. Points are awarded for original visuals, not for original concepts. A sky fortress that looks mundane will not be awarded a high score for being a new idea for a building. Similarly, a truly interesting looking castle might be awarded all ten points, despite castles being a very typical building.

It is noted that for copy and paste graphics, no penalty should be levelled against buildings with pasted pieces that clearly resemble familiar graphics. Instead, the entire building should be viewed as a whole, and awarded or penalized based on how unique the finished product looks.

Quality - 30 Points.
The most important feature of any graphic is how good it is, and the majority of the points are allotted accordingly. The judges will consider areas including shading, perspective, colour, texture, level of detail, complexity, clarity, and in general any other suitable criteria for assessing the visual appeal of the entry.

Compatibility - 10 Points
How well do the graphics fit in with the game graphics? As an example, do objects like mountains blend well with the appropriate terrain below?

A good way to state this is that graphics which do not look at all 'out of place' will naturally score very high, while graphics that stick out noticeably and clash with the game will score very low.

Final Notes - The judges are encouraged to judge a graphic for its own merit and not consider the way it was made to either inflate or reduce the score. A familiar looking cut and paste graphic should not be judged more leniently for originality than a 3D graphic, and a 3D model should not be given lenience for being less compatible with the game graphics, if in fact it does stick out poorly.

Judges
1. Mr. Wednesday
2. Lord Basse
3. John the Late

Scores

1st. Dynasty IV 116 pts (scores by John, Basse, Matt)
Originality/Uniqueness 8, 7, 7
Quality 27, 23, 22
Compatibility7, 8, 7
Total42/50, 38/50, 36/50

2nd. TriRem101 pts
Originality/Uniqueness 7, 4, 7
Quality23, 17, 22
Compatibility7, 6, 8
Total37/50, 27/50, 37/50

3rd. Mahazona78 pts
Originality/Uniqueness 4, 3, 3
Quality17, 15, 13
Compatibility8, 6, 7
Total29/50, 24/50, 23/50

Congratulations to Dynasty IV for his Tibetan Monastery and Gardens!

In second was TriRem with his Palace and Animated Pond.

In Third was Mahazona with His Indian Siege Workshop and Stones.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 11-16-2015 @ 07:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-26-15 11:37 AM CT (US)     1 / 57  
I think I'll play
posted 08-26-15 11:38 AM CT (US)     2 / 57  
posted 08-26-15 11:39 AM CT (US)     3 / 57  
Great to see this go up. I've no modding skills to speak of, but I'll be following this one with interest!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 08-26-15 11:55 AM CT (US)     4 / 57  
Buildings are not really my specialty but count on me !

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 08-26-15 12:17 PM CT (US)     5 / 57  
It's great to see a Modding Competition up!
Although I'm a modder, I'm not that good in making graphics, so, I'll just follow this ^^

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
posted 08-26-15 02:13 PM CT (US)     6 / 57  
Added the three of you to the TP. I'm excited to see what you all come up with.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-26-15 02:38 PM CT (US)     7 / 57  
Sounds cool, but how many of these are there now?

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 08-26-15 05:41 PM CT (US)     8 / 57  
One. In 16 years.

There is a Modding CSC, which is not a competition. The continuous modding competition isn't a real contest, and it will die. The staff are not closing it because we only close threads that are offensive. People can post whatever threads they want. But we aren't going to let it preempt us hosting a real contest for modders.

The forum split so far has done an excellent job of reinvigorating SD, but I want to make sure the modding forum constituents don't feel like they were exiled. This forum needs to have its own contests and events and project threads and quality FAQ and dedicated staff.

posted 08-27-15 00:06 AM CT (US)     9 / 57  
Let me also enter.It is some time since I made a building.But I can try
posted 08-29-15 05:39 PM CT (US)     10 / 57  
Great.

posted 08-29-15 08:34 PM CT (US)     11 / 57  
Good luck guys I suck at buildings if not I would have joined.
posted 09-06-15 12:23 PM CT (US)     12 / 57  
I'm putting my submission up in the blacksmith now. I like this the idea of this competition, I think it'd be a good way to get quality new graphics
posted 09-13-15 08:40 PM CT (US)     13 / 57  
I play too!

My viking building set: here!
My legionary: here!
posted 09-15-15 06:26 AM CT (US)     14 / 57  
I might be entering!
posted 09-15-15 07:38 AM CT (US)     15 / 57  
Put you both up on the list

posted 09-17-15 11:26 AM CT (US)     16 / 57  
Does it matter if the building has no real purpous?
posted 09-17-15 05:53 PM CT (US)     17 / 57  
No not at all. Decorative buildings are great too.

posted 09-18-15 01:30 AM CT (US)     18 / 57  
Ok!
Also, can i have more than one building/Eye candy? You cant, right?

[This message has been edited by Knaber (edited 09-18-2015 @ 04:14 AM).]

posted 09-18-15 07:39 AM CT (US)     19 / 57  
Only one building. For eye candy you can have multiple rotations, so if you make a tree you can actually do several tree variations. Don't make five different things and pretend they go together though.

posted 09-20-15 02:31 AM CT (US)     20 / 57  
Count me in, though I might not have enough time.
posted 09-20-15 01:47 PM CT (US)     21 / 57  
Well work hard and try to get in, and if you aren't the deadline might get extended. I set it pretty short and I am not sure I gave everyone enough time. We shall see.

posted 09-26-15 04:55 AM CT (US)     22 / 57  
I think I must resign from the competition.It is just four days left and I hadn`t even started.Sorry

Best wishes to all participants

[This message has been edited by Shyam prasad (edited 09-26-2015 @ 04:57 AM).]

posted 09-29-15 05:44 AM CT (US)     23 / 57  
I have finished the graphic but have no motivation to put it in a slp and add it into the game...
posted 09-29-15 05:47 AM CT (US)     24 / 57  
Come on buddy, one day left, no point in giving up now

You tried so hard and got so faarr... but in the end...

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 09-29-15 09:15 AM CT (US)     25 / 57  
I will probably show you the Graphics i made, however, i will not be entering... :/
posted 09-29-15 09:18 AM CT (US)     26 / 57  
Yes be a good sport and put it up.Its not about winning its about participating.
posted 09-29-15 09:44 AM CT (US)     27 / 57  
Its not that i am afraid of losing/not winning, I just dont have the energy/motivation to do it...
posted 09-29-15 11:10 AM CT (US)     28 / 57  
Come on, compared to actually making a graphic, inserting it into the game is nothing

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 09-29-15 03:40 PM CT (US)     29 / 57  
Making an slp takes...5 minutes tops.

I'm considering a deadline extension. I believe we only have one entry at this point, and it would be really beneficial to the modding forum here if we could get our first contest to have at least three entries. There has been plenty of talk from the modders about wanting to be treated fairly and given as much attention as SD (and rightly so). I think we need to summon at least enough entries to field a top three if we want to see future contests, and other support like blacksmith features, news posts, etc.

The question is, if I extend the deadline is anyone planning on finishing something? It takes one evening to make a graphic. If I tacked a week onto the deadline will anyone use that to their advantage?

posted 09-29-15 04:05 PM CT (US)     30 / 57  
I will. My building is completed, and I am working on my eyecandy, which could be finished by tomorrow. But a few extra time to polish it wouldn't hurt.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 09-29-15 06:02 PM CT (US)     31 / 57  
Where are all the guys that wanted contests, is Shayam the only one that delivered so far?
posted 09-29-15 06:22 PM CT (US)     32 / 57  
posted 09-30-15 02:47 PM CT (US)     33 / 57  
An extension would probably be a good idea

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 10-02-15 09:41 AM CT (US)     34 / 57  
I couldn't get on the site yesterday, but consider this extended until October 17th.

No excuses now.

posted 10-02-15 10:26 PM CT (US)     35 / 57  
Buildings are not my thing but put up my entree to the contest.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Graphics Modding Competition 2015 - RESULTS POSTED
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames