You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Norse Wars v1.0 Released ~ A blood map showing the power of AoM RMS
posted 03 January 2003 09:24 AM EDT (US)   
NORSE WARS v1.0

Random Map Script by Matei of Woad Creations ~ www.woadcreations.com

Over the past week, I've created a blood-style random map script with favor for kills, units auto-spawning based on favor, and infinite buyable god powers, technologies, myth units, heroes and "elite" soldiers. There are 3 random environments (Greek, Egyptian and Norse). Players play Norse to get favor from kills. They start in bases containing 10000-HP Hill Forts around a circular arena with a Healing Spring on a hill in the middle. They must destroy enemy Hill Forts and protect their own to win. Behind each player's base there is a "store island" where they can buy units/powers/technologies using favor. Depending on how much favor you have, a number of units auto-spawn from your Hill Fort every few seconds. It's your choice how you use the favor of the gods .

You can download Norse Wars v1.0 from http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=320 Simply unzip the .xml and .xs files in there to the rm directory where your AoM is installed.

Here is the full description of it, copied-and-pasted from the ReadMe file:

RULES:

- Every player controls a Hill Fort, and they lose if it is destroyed
- Players are all Norse and get favor when their human units fight
- Human units spawn for each player at their Hill Fort. The more favor the player has, the more types of units spawn.
- Favor may be paid on the store island behind players' bases to:
- Buy a god power (available powers depend on the map)
- Upgrade weapons, armor or shields (there's no limit to upgrades)
- Buy a myth unit or hero (available units depend on the map)
- Buy an "elite" human soldier (available soldiers depend on the map)

FEATURES:

- Very fast download time due to small file size
- Supports anywhere from 2 to 12 players
- Three random skins (Greek, Egyptian and Norse) with different terrains, random buyable god powers and random buyable units from those cultures
- Many strategies for victory: will you hoard favor to get more auto-spawning soldiers, buy weapons or armor to upgrade your troops, field an army of myth units, control the Healing Spring in the center, or make use of god powers to defeat your opponents?
- Unlimited replayability: every map generated is different
- Countless hours of fast-paced fun!

HOW TO HOST A GAME:

- Norse Wars should be played mutiplayer with human players, as computer players don't know how to use favor to buy things
- Host a game using ESO Advanced Setup or LAN/DirectIP
- Select Supremacy under Game Type
- Press Other Settings and set Visibility to Revealed
- Click Select Map and choose Norse Wars v1.1 from the list
- All players must be Norse to get favor from fighting

TO OTHER SCRIPTERS:

- You are free to use this script or parts of it in your own work, but PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR (MATEI) if you do so! Use a script comment and/or an in-game text message.
- If you want to edit the map, PLEASE DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE. Copy the file and rename it, so that there aren't any version conflicts with people who don't have your edited version.

The AoMH upload should be here soon. If you have comments, post them here or on that map's descrition page. Enjoy Norse Wars, and maybe we can play it on ESO sometime .

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 01-05-2003 @ 07:28 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03 January 2003 09:37 AM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
The download is broke.
posted 03 January 2003 11:44 AM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Copy and paste into address bar, or drag and drop there.

posted 03 January 2003 01:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
It usually works on these type of things if you just delete the http, then hit enter, hmmm.
posted 03 January 2003 02:22 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
posted 03 January 2003 02:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  

Quote:

Over the past week, I've created a blood-style random map script ...

Yes, good maps just take a week now!

M0nTy_PyTh0n
RM Scripter - Utility Programmer - Music/Sound Composer/Creator
HYENA STUDIOS
Also on YouTube and MySpace
Partner of Tsunami Studios - Sound and Music Composer
All rights reserved.
posted 03 January 2003 02:45 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
It appears the secrect to winning this is to get the armor and attack upgrades, and not just get the expensive units.
posted 03 January 2003 06:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  

Quote:

Yes, good maps just take a week now!

Well, think about it. If you want to add a Setna for each player that buys a Tornado for 30 favor in a scenario, you have to place 12 Setnas and create 12 long triggers, which would probably take you 10-15 minutes. I just have to use my already-existing function and write addGodPowerUnit("Setna", "Tornado", 30), which takes me 10-15 seconds. Furthermore, I can change the power, the unit or the cost by editing this one line. Once I finished the basic layout and trigger-creating functions for the map, the rest was a matter of adding/removing units and making it more interesting and fun.

JKA_Chicogohope, I'll look into the armor/attack thing to see if it is too overpowered. If it is, I'll increase cost. However, myth units and god powers can be an amazing helping hand for your army, even though they don't gain favor in battle. I killed someone today by Shifting-Sandsing about 6 Scarabs next to his Hill Fort, and I saw another person make an army with 10-12 Valkyries that owned anything else except heroes. Also, the human units you can buy (chariots, camels, hetairoi, gastraphetes, etc) are pretty cheap and useful in certain situations.

posted 03 January 2003 06:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  

Matei, good work u must have done surely unfortunately because of vacs, cant see this till 16th jan.

cya then

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 03 January 2003 06:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
great RMS, i just played a few games.

Theres a rumor though that you can't get meteors, and it steals your favor.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 03 January 2003 06:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Hm I did get meteors before. There was somebody once who couldn't get Lightning Storm because his favor kept decreasing - turns out his Skult was next to his monument and he kept getting weapons upgrades. I'll play more games and check tough.

posted 03 January 2003 06:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  

Quote:

Well, think about it. If you want to add a Setna for each ...

Sure, you can make 10.000 triggers within 10 sec. But most time you will need for the map concept (map terrain, gameplay, etc.). And a few days you may need for testing it in single player mode or online at ESO to balance the gameplay. That's why 1 week - for all!
Anyway, nice map

M0nTy_PyTh0n
RM Scripter - Utility Programmer - Music/Sound Composer/Creator
HYENA STUDIOS
Also on YouTube and MySpace
Partner of Tsunami Studios - Sound and Music Composer
All rights reserved.
posted 03 January 2003 08:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
i beta tested with matei, Matei maybe u should upload that recorded game? it was a nice game

posted 03 January 2003 09:44 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
Lp, I'll try to upload a 3v3 game soon. I have some nice ones recoreded.

posted 03 January 2003 11:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
Here are my suggestions.

- At least 1 player on each team must get vision so they can see the Healing Spring in the middle of the map, currently only player 1 (and the players on his team) have this.

- The cost of upgrading, creating units and summoning god powers should be shown on the menu that appears every so often.

posted 03 January 2003 11:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
One word: Awesome! I never knew a multiplayer scenario can be created from RMS!

A multiplayer blood map in RMS has SO much more advantage over the .scn form. The RMS file size is so small compared to the large .scn =), which is the biggest limiting factor when it comes to distributing the file online.

Great job, Matei! It's groundbreaking, in my opinion =). By the way, how did you learn to script?

posted 03 January 2003 11:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Help I can't downloaded it maybe you could upload it here?

Did you know it takes a rat 3/12 hour to die in a Easy Bake Oven :Þ

Maane nealve i Geek in toi irelya hiruvalye i Ambar
(Blessed are the geek for they will inherit the world in elvish)

posted 04 January 2003 00:03 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
To download from the link, you must right-click on the link, and select Save As.
posted 04 January 2003 08:21 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Black Mongoose, the map is on its way to being checked by the AoMH admin and uploaded now. That map is only version 1.0 though, which casts a vision for each player and tends to go out of synch (at least it did for me, maybe that's because I was playing over a shared network connection). I will update it to version 1.1, though this might delay its coming for another few hours, or I will just replace it with a fixed new version 1.2 as soon as I make that.

In the new version I think I'll give each player a Revealer in the center that gets removedafter 20s so they see the healing spring and the Vision thing is done with alltogether.

posted 04 January 2003 08:53 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
It's been approved in the dloads section (a few hours ago, actually).

Download here: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=320

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 05 January 2003 07:28 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
I've updated it to version 1.3, which fixes a few issues and lists costs for all units, upgrades and god powers as well as saying when you'll get the various auto-spawning units. Should be up for download soon .

I couldn't do without the Vision for player 1 because I found no way to put a Revealer to Player in an army - it doesn't even work in the scenario editor. If I can't remove the revealer somehow then people can cast GPs on the center without having other units there, which is unfair. Still, in this version the Vision is cast earlier to give less of an advantage.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Norse Wars v1.0 Released ~ A blood map showing the power of AoM RMS
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames