You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Why does AoM lack any good custom campaigns? Post your views here!
posted 18 December 2003 09:01 AM EDT (US)   
Hey all
Why do you think so few people have made any campaigns? Look at the downloads sections, we have a mere 48 in the dls section while AoK flourishes with campaigns- sure it's only been a year but aok probably got more than 48 campaigns in its first year.
So why do you think this is? Maybe it's the over expectancy of quality of campaigns? Post your views now!

*My attempt at getting on the front *

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
Replies:
posted 18 December 2003 09:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
Well surely AoM campaigns are more difficult to do, AoK editor was easier than the AoM one.
posted 18 December 2003 10:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
Hmmm I for one, just think the scenario editor takes ages to get used to...

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 18 December 2003 12:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
Most people think, hey an editor let's go noobbie and they start designing.
The 1st one is mostly a 1 level scenario, than they're working on a campaign if they ever want to, than they either give up or stop playing the game.
It just takes soooooo long...
posted 18 December 2003 01:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
It's more difficult to make a campaign in AoM partly due to the fact that theres no campaign editor, and that it's more difficult to create a campaign, though it doesn't take any longer than those of AoK.

I haven't had time to settle down for a good campaign, mainly because I'm only designing multiplayer things in an attempt to strengthen the multiplayer community.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 18 December 2003 01:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
Why? Because I can't find the time to get my campaign finished, that's why!
posted 18 December 2003 01:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
It was so much easier making campaigns with AoK. For one thing, there was the ingame campaign maker. It's not difficult to put one together for AoM, put it was still easier with AoK.

But that's not the main reason. The main reason is that it's simply far more time consuming making scenarios with AoM. With AoK it was simple; a few triggers, a few units, a few terrains, slap em' together and you've got a decent campaign for the time. But with AoM you have dozens and dozens of units to choose from, many terrains, more triggers and more complicated triggers, and all sorts of eye-candy elements required for the map to look good. Plus, since modpacks are fairly simple, many people are also spending time on these rather than working on the scenarios.

The bottomline is, it takes so long to make each scenario for AoM that people get bored with it and the campaign, thus moving on to something else. I've done it a couple of times already. But I will have a good campaign out in January.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 18 December 2003 02:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
Well said King, and...

Quote:

But I will have a good campaign out in January.

I think I downloaded a cinematic trailer for that. It's awesome!

Quote:

we have a mere 48 in the dls section

Some of them are just single player scens not cpns though

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 18 December 2003 03:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
It has absolutely nothing to do with the complexity of the editor. Empire Earth has more scenarios designed for it then Age of Mythology does. The Empire Earth editor kilometers above the Age of Mythology editor in terms of complexity and Empire Earth at its height was only a 1/10 as popular as Age of Mythology is now. If you take quality of produced scenarios into account in comparison to the quantity produced, Age of Mythology is lagging behind.
posted 18 December 2003 03:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
Good point bo! I really hope your campaign does well, unlike your previous projects...

Quote:

For one thing, there was the ingame campaign maker. It's not difficult to put one together for AoM, put it was still easier with AoK.

Yeah it's not too hard, just a bit of cuttin and pastin really but still aok was easier

The thing is though, the aom editor somehow takes alot more brain and time. Maybe this is because in Aok you didn't have all this cinematic tracks and stuff and so you didn't have to spend time doing all that. But for AoM we have many features to use to build maps which in the IMO still don't have that real *enjoyment* factor that Aok scens had.

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 12-18-2003 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 18 December 2003 05:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
I'm guessing the reason why AoM lack good custom campaigns is because... AoM doesn't even have a Campaign Editor .
posted 18 December 2003 06:04 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
That's just it, cinematics. Simple cinematics were possible with AoK, but there were no camera tracks or cuts or animations. Or even a "cinematic mode", for that matter. Cinematics on AoM, although they add a lot to a campaign, take a downright nutty amount of time.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 18 December 2003 06:46 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
I can test to that. I am still working on my cinematic skills to make my campaign. It's very difficult to do, and is time consuming alone, not to mention life inching in and reminding me I can't spend all day to do one camera scene.

@.x

Prepare yourselves, Ragnarok approaches. The doom of this world has begun. ~ Vidar
-Ragnarok Campaign-
posted 18 December 2003 10:39 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
none of you are mentioning the super easy to use Empires campaign editor in Empires: Dawn of the Modern,you can even password the campaigns from being edited

Now known as Delfino_Messor i am no longer BlackEvil
Mêrlørd•Ðêšîgñ•§†ûdîø§ Scenario Designer
posted 19 December 2003 03:08 AM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
Well cinematic tracks, and cines are pretty easy to do once you get use to it but they still take a bit of time- working out the dialogue and all that.

And BlacEvil this is aomh not EDMWH

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Why does AoM lack any good custom campaigns? Post your views here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames