You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Realistic Water Logged Farms (Warnign large images)
posted 05 April 2004 06:39 PM EDT (US)   
Well Here is my first Tutorial.
I have Seen Other Ways of Making Farms but i havent seen this version on the Scenario Design Library and i thought maybe this could be added or at least help some people

Step One

Find a Suitable Area, or one which you planned to use beforehand.

Now as i almost always start with a flat piece of terrain for my scenarios (like the one above) thats what we will go on, but any area will do really (hell even non flat areas will probably make it easier

Step Two

Use the Roughen Tool to "Rough up" the area you are going to use even if its already roughened, and then use the Smooth tool to flatten it out a bit and make it look like a natural Hilled Area

Step Three

Place Down the Farms so that they curve along with the landscape, making sure that the farm(s) are on both (small)hills and the valleys between

Step Four

After Placing the Farms Down how you want use the Paint Terrain Tool (important it MUST be Paint Terrain Option and not Paint Land or it wont work)
And Chose the terrain "City Tile Pool" and paint the terrain that the farm is on, where the Depressions in the Landscape are (as water Flows downhill and would in real life collect in the lower areas not the Raised ones)

And There you have it, a realistic looking Waterlogged Farms piece of Eyecandy

Tips

• Roughen the terrain up but making sure when smoothed out that they look natural and not too Sharp
  • Only Ever paint the water in the lowered areas and not the raised ones or it wont look as realistic.
  • Try to avoid painting the Water at the very edge of the Farms

Happy Designing and i hope that this has come in handy

-Quetzelcoatl

NOTE: i use the New X Editor 2 not that it would make much difference but i am not sure about the menu layouts whether they are different or not.

Tommorow will take us away
    Far from home
    No-one will ever know our names
    But the Bards songs will remain

[This message has been edited by Quetzelcoatl (edited 04-05-2004 @ 06:46 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05 April 2004 06:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
    Good find, but I believe Larmir (a.k.a. EO) found that a while ago.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
    posted 05 April 2004 07:02 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
    heh Byz i dont claim to be the first to have found it, or the first to make a Tutorial about it, its just that i havent seen and tutorials in the Scen Design library and hopesd that this could go in there

Far from home
    posted 05 April 2004 11:34 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
    Originator aside, that is a nice effect. Keep the tutorials coming as it's been a while since people posted stuff like this.
    posted 06 April 2004 01:22 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
    posted 06 April 2004 02:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
    Good tips. Thanks for taking the time to do this! If you have any other design tips, please post them.
    posted 06 April 2004 03:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
    Good tips!
    I'll use these ones definately in my scenarios!

Theris264
    former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
    "An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
    posted 06 April 2004 05:38 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
    Known how to do it for ages, but good guide anyway

Glorfindel -Age of Mythology Heaven
    My site Runescape- Awsome Online game! The new 3d verson has been released. My RS name is Tartariandog! My forums Best design team ever!
    Eso rates/names= Tartariandog-1600, PW_Glorfindel_- 1556, PW_Glorfindel__-1600.
    Winner of the most underated forumer award!

posted 06 April 2004 08:49 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
    "Warnign" ?
    *goes into site. ARRRRRGHGHGHGHHERRHFHHHHG " OH THE PAIN OH THE HORROR. AHHHHHHHHHH. ALL THESE BIG PICTURES THE HURT. just kidding i could help it sry for being ot
    posted 06 April 2004 08:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
    i typed it all (incl UBB code) in a matter of less than 10 mins so thats why i misspelt WARNING.

and the pictures were there for a visual aid (something which i would like to see if I was reading a tutorial)

Far from home
    posted 07 April 2004 02:04 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
    i was just making a joke, take no notice.
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Realistic Water Logged Farms (Warnign large images)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames