Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMH Summer Design Competition, 2006: Community Brainstorm
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 20 June 2006 03:59 PM EDT (US)   

AoMH Summer Design Competition, 2006

Community Brainstorming Thread

As should be clear by now, the Pretty Town Competition that had originally been planned was cancelled due to lack of community support and staff time contraints.

• Original Thread

However, the possibility of an official design competition certainly isn't out. With many staff members becoming available over the next few weeks, AoMH is very much willing to host, judge, and furnish prizes for a competition, so long as there is sufficient support.

That said, rather than we, the staff, coming up with a bunch of ideas that may or may not appeal to you, we thought we'd just leave the floor open to suggestions from forumers and staff members alike. What kind of competition would you like to see this summer? Pretty town, a cinematic, a playable scenario, or something else entirely? Any idea you have, let us know about it -- all we ask is that you don't get too, too stupid.

To get the ball rolling, here are a few ideas the staff had been toying around with over the past few months:

• Standard pretty town competition
  • Pretty town competition with opening cinematic
  • Individual playable scenario competition
  • Design team playable scenario competition

Suggested ideas:

• Team/community pretty town competition - Pepsidude_123
  • Custom background competition - Paperfriend
  • Trigger expertise competition (ie. solving a "quiz", or sorts, using triggers) - Archaeopterix
  • Creative building/unit placement competition - Aomts_help911
  • Randomly-picked theme-based single-player scenario - newreach268
  • Small, restricted scenario competition - AdZyZ
  • Map design competition - Tomothy
  • Pretty nature competition (ie. best natural effects in a map) - Neko Magi
  • Pretty map competition with opening cinematic (ie. best scenery, natural or otherwise, in a map, w/ highlight cinematic) - Denial Is Death
  • Rube Goldberg competition (ie. a very complicated scenario to perform a very simple objective/task) - AdZyZ

I'll add new ideas to this list as they come in. Then I suppose we'll hold a vote or something.

Well? What say you?

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 06-26-2006 @ 04:18 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 20 June 2006 04:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 43  
    A community Pretty Town would be nice.

Maybe not a whole design team, but it would be great if two people could team up and make one.

posted 20 June 2006 04:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 43  
    yeah, i agree with Pepsi! A community pretty town competition would be nice.

(¯`·._.·[DEATHMAN RTS NL]·._.·´¯)

check out the demo of Ghost ahoy 4.4
    posted 20 June 2006 04:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 43  
    WooHOO~!! Finally, thank you Divine Overlord..

As an official member of the community of HG and AOMH, I would like to see this as Design Team Player Competition, but as Pepsi stated, maybe just a few members as the entire team would probably take too long and most wouldn't even show up even less participate..

But I suppose you meant representating the team so I'll lay off...

YEAH..!!?!?!?!? !

SANDRO THE WICKE
    /\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
    A Mind Shattered Upon Time As The Fragments Of Sharpened Stone Upon Darkened Void
    {|What Is Wisdom Not But What We Make It To Be|}...
    TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
    Shot 1 Shot 2 Shot 3|Best Eyecandy Shots|Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6
    posted 20 June 2006 04:31 PM EDT (US)     4 / 43  
    I would like a custom background competition, everybody could make a background:

Advantages:
    1. Can be for AoM as well as TT
    2. Can be really simple, but very hard to make aswell (everyone can enter)
    3. Doesn't have to take much time
    4. We lose the boring background from ES
    5. It has a use, we could make a big background pack after the competition.

Disadvantages:
    1. People we submit multipules might push away the ones who don't in the background pack
    2. People we are on low graphic detail can't playtest/use the backgrounds

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
    No matter what you say
    posted 20 June 2006 04:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 43  

Quote:

Standard pretty town competition

Yes.

Quote:

Pretty town competition with opening cinematic

Why not completely cinematic?

Quote:

Individual playable scenario competition

Quote:

Design team playable scenario competition

Nah, would take too long time.

Quote:

custom background competition

Yes, good idea.

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 20 June 2006 05:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 43  
    A trigger expertise tournament. Have a few sophisticated people think up a load of problems that people have to solve using the AoM/TT/custom triggers (I would like to). There will be the golden medal - for the one to solve the most problems and the most efficient - and the creativity award for the one with the most creative solutions.

They don't have to implement them in actual scenarios, but provide a txt with the outline or whatever. EDIT: No, I think it's best to require the actual scens to be sent after all.

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 06-20-2006 @ 05:14 PM).]

posted 20 June 2006 09:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 43  
    But thats just no fun Archaeopterix.

I think we should just do a town, with or without a cinimatic. It should be set to like 200 by 200, or 250 by 25, etc.

posted 20 June 2006 09:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 43  
    @ Archaeopterix:
    Awesome idea! It would provide, firstly as a creative event, and secondly, as a way for participants to better themselves with trigger problems.
    posted 20 June 2006 10:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 43  
    I just had a spark of genious wut about a build a individual building contest u know like combining houses and crap to make a entirely new building

Yeah.... I need a better signature
  • City Under Siege
  • Help9113's Cat and mice
  • Random Myth Wars
    AomT name: Help9113 or Quicksilver
    Senario Design team: None (After about 20....)
  • posted 21 June 2006 03:41 AM EDT (US)     10 / 43  
    dessigners must make a single player map bassed on a title picked at random.

Out Reach
    The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
    posted 21 June 2006 03:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 43  
    That would scare lots of people away because it takes so long: a background can be used with making just one trigger, or you can make 1000 of events with around 3000 triggers, you can easily make multipules, overall I think it would be fun for both higher and lower level designers, I am not even sure if we have any designers on low graphic detail.

Quote:

I just had a spark of genious wut about a build a individual building contest u know like combining houses and crap to make a entirely new building

That building could then be used for a background.

Quote:

A trigger expertise tournament. Have a few sophisticated people think up a load of problems that people have to solve using the AoM/TT/custom triggers (I would like to). There will be the golden medal - for the one to solve the most problems and the most efficient - and the creativity award for the one with the most creative solutions.
    They don't have to implement them in actual scenarios, but provide a txt with the outline or whatever. EDIT: No, I think it's best to require the actual scens to be sent after all.

Just make triggers one of the things it is rated by, only give top-grades if they solve certain problems, etc. Your idea might also scare of newer people. (Which we want to enter).

No matter what you say
    posted 21 June 2006 06:21 AM EDT (US)     12 / 43  
    How about something to encourage people to create something VERY creative and original.

On a small 50 x 50 map, see who can come up with the most creative, original, and innovative scenario!

You could even make a trigger limit to force the scenario to be about quality, not quantity.

Reasons for:
    Encourages creativity!
    Fresh new ideas
    Easy to review and go through
    Is more about quality
    Many fun new map styles will be born
    Gives designers the chance to explore their most creative ideas
    Allows all the files to be easily submitted to the downloads section

[This message has been edited by AdZyZ (edited 06-21-2006 @ 08:01 AM).]

posted 21 June 2006 07:22 AM EDT (US)     13 / 43  
    what about just a map, in general?
    there could be divisions, iow expert, middle, and beginner.
    you design a map in general, and it has to be playable. it can be big or small, and almost everything is checked: if it is cluttered, if you use sound, if you use triggers, and make cinematics, all that.
    altogether, whichever map is the most beautiful, complex, or even simple. as long as it works and as long as you know what's happening.
    or there could be a cinematic map, where you make a cinematic. and a cinematic only.

or just the pretty town comp.

Where's the rum?
    posted 21 June 2006 08:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 43  
    isnt that just like.. "Everybody make a map. That is all."
    posted 21 June 2006 12:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 43  
    I didn't enter because I am no good at towns but I am ok at things like a swamp scene, etc.

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
    posted 21 June 2006 12:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 43  
    You mean your better with more natural effects rather then man made effects? I wold be in the same boat as you I think... Maybe whoever can create the best natural landscape with little to no human inhabitants? It could eb judged on
    -Realism
    -Quality
    -Creativness
    -And probbaly some other things...

And! For a guide, they could use an animal of Set. =)

posted 21 June 2006 01:46 PM EDT (US)     17 / 43  
    I like teaming up idea for if we've made any "digital" friends here, but has anyone here seen the X-Factor? Its like pop-idle.

Well, basicly, why don't we get 3 judges (like X factor)
    and make them judge maps, and everyone votes which one is best, then they go up a group to say the final 4. The person who gets the least votes is knocked out!

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor

[This message has been edited by Titan602 (edited 06-21-2006 @ 01:58 PM).]

posted 21 June 2006 02:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 43  
    Or maybe, rather then judges, we could have the community vote. Although, you can't vote for your own. Whoever gets the most votes wins... It saves some time for the judges... Problem is, we might get people to create multiple accounts in order to vote for themselves...
    posted 21 June 2006 03:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 43  
    What I find worse is the idea people not voting if they want there project to win.

No matter what you say
    posted 21 June 2006 03:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 43  
    That too... Maybe we could make a rule that if you enter, you are required to vote?
    posted 21 June 2006 03:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 43  
    People will vote for the worst ones then, because they think those won't win anyway. And that results in the worst entry winning
    posted 21 June 2006 08:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 43  
    If its two people working on a map. And we allow everyone to vote for themselves, they'll simply be raised two votes and even it all out. Just let em vote for themselves.
    posted 21 June 2006 10:26 PM EDT (US)     23 / 43  
    I think we should have a contest where you just try to create the best scenary possible on a 100 by 100 map. it can be any kind of scenary, such as a swamp, a forest, or the middle of a bustling Greek City. Then they make a cinematic displaying the scenario's good points. It will be a good test of design skills and cinematic skills.
    I noticed there is a debate of how to judge the scenarios; I think some select judges should be chosen, and they should judge the scenarios.
    posted 22 June 2006 06:27 AM EDT (US)     24 / 43  
    i like the idea of a scenary scenario. my love of nature, and especially water- inclusive nature would certainly give me a chance there. and same for everyone else, so they can build up their favourite thing. or we could even turn it into a documentary type thing, where you give facts about, for instance, a wolf, or whale? this also gives you the chance to learn something about nature or people, or history, etc.

Where's the rum?
    posted 22 June 2006 10:34 PM EDT (US)     25 / 43  
    Beautiful maps are nice and all, but theyre not very functional. I still like my idea, but I'm probably just being arrogant =P
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH Summer Design Competition, 2006: Community Brainstorm
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames