You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RPG Survey - RESULT PAGE
posted 28 November 2011 05:59 PM EDT (US)   

RPG Survey Results

~~~19 forumers took part in the (RPG) Scenario Survey~~~

Here it finally is! It took me a lot of time to create this thread so it has all the information and eyecandy it needs :P. Enjoy reading the survey results and may they help you with your future projects!

General Information

- 73% of the forumers are interested in Singleplayer Scenarios and 42% are interested in Multiplayer Scenarios. Random Map Scripts and Campaigns are very unpopular and interest only 5% of the forumers.

- The forumers don't mind to play long scenarios. 73% of the forumers is OK with playing a scenario for 120 minutes or longer. The other 27% doesn't want to play a scenario any longer than 60 minutes.

- The forumers like to sit back and relax while playing a scenario online and like to play cooperative multiplayer scenarios. Intense PvP multiplayer scenarios aren't that interesting.

- A massive 80% of the forumers will not play scenarios which require a mod to be installed on their PCs. So make sure your scenario can still be played without any mods!

Scenario Type Popularity

RPG Scenarios

Escape/Survival Scenarios

Tower Defense Scenarios

Puzzle Scenarios

RP, Build & Destroy and Minigames Scenarios

Supremacy Scenarios

RPG Information

- 63% of the forumers like to create their own story in Free-roaming RPG scenarios. A moderate 26% are interested in Dungeon RPG scenarios and 21% in Strategy RPG scenarios. Hack 'n Slash and Survival RPG scenarios are very unpopular with only 5% of the votes.

- 82% of the forumers love or wouldn't mind to use hotkeys to cast special abilities.

- Question 12 has a pretty interesting result as 53% of the forumers like the camera to focus on your unit through the entire game, while the other 47% hate it. Play it safe and let the players have the option to toggle the Camera Cut on Protounit on/off.

- Dialogs are important to tell a RPG scenario's story. 36% of the forumers think you shouldn't use too many dialogs to tell the story, while another 36% think you should use many dialogs so you can go more in-depth with the story. The other 28% doesn't mind how many dialogs are used.

Difficulties

Overall RPG difficulty: Hard. Enemies should be able to kill you if you're not careful. Some enemy units could be using special abilities to make quick work of your unit, and some battle encounters could have a mix of different kind of deadly melee and ranged units. However, not all of the enemy units should be hard to kill.

Boss Fight difficulty: Hard. You need to use tactics as well as special abilities to kill a boss. A boss fight should be a real challenge and should be harder than the average boss fights seen in other scenarios. A boss should be using devastating special abilities which you need to counter with your special abilies and good micro movement --> tactics.

Puzzle difficulty: Moderate. Some of the puzzles should be easy to solve if you look hard enough for the solution. Puzzles which yield higher rewards should be harder to solve. You have to keep an eye out for clues which can help you solve these kind of puzzles.

The Most Important Things in RPGs

So, what's the most important thing in RPGs you ask? That answer is the most obvious one: The Storyline and Plot. A more interesting question is: What is the least important thing in RPGs? Look below for the answers:

1. Storyline and Plot

2. Enjoyable Battle System

3. Map Design
4. Secrets, Dynamic Events and Sidequests
5. Character Development
6. Replay Value
7. Leveling and Loot
8. Character Creation
9. Boss battles

10. Music
11. Different number of endings
12. Puzzles
13. Shops

14. Crafting

This concludes the RPG Survey results. Thanks for reading and let the answers inspire you to create new (RPG) scenarios once again!

© This thread was specially created for the AoMH Community and, as a HTML newbie, I put a lot of love in the design. I hope you all like result! ©

~ And may heavengames not die for a loooong while ~

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 09-14-2017 @ 07:18 PM).]

Replies:
posted 28 November 2011 06:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Argh, it was perfect in the preview! Now it's a bit screwed up.

edit: under maintenance, please bear with me.

edit2: OK, it looks a lot better now

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 11-28-2011 @ 06:09 PM).]

posted 28 November 2011 06:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Nicely done! I will refer back to this thread when creating a new game

posted 28 November 2011 07:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
You're the 218000 SD poster, Expert ٩̮̃-)۶

Lew, you did a great job with that thread

( σяυɘ ϙυє )﴿

ʸᵒᵘᵗᵘᵇᵉ ˡˡʳʸ
posted 28 November 2011 07:18 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
Wow, really nice layout! Not really surprised by the results, can just confirm that if I ever release my project, it will be somewhat against the current.

Sometimes I like to take screenshots. But only sometimes.
posted 28 November 2011 07:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Nice work, Lewonas. But I think map design is more important than most, it seems.
posted 28 November 2011 07:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
I have to agree with most of these, but I find it really hard to believe that most people prefer to have a good story then to have puzzles and multiple endings. Those are some of my favorite things in rpgs.

Proud Trigger Artist and Map Designer for
~Mythic Studios~
posted 28 November 2011 08:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
Good job on this Lew. I'm glad that my RPG already had a camera follow toggle, some other stuff can be tweaked. But I've mostly made my rpg so far how most people would like it.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 28 November 2011 08:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
Hey ! Great job ! Awesome !

(Why am I posting here ? 'cause I have time... That's just a single post ^^)

Looks like Children of Memories follows the thread :P

|Limb of Memories| Upcoming AoM Online RPG, the prequel to |Children of Memories|
A project by Tasterix.
posted 28 November 2011 08:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Nice. I am surprised that random maps are very unpopular... I have never had any more trouble getting people in to play my RMS games than my scenarios but perhaps the survey only looks at normal RM scripts rather than multiplayer scenarios turned into scripts - apart from mine there are not very many out there it certainly was not something that really caught on due to the difficulty of creating the scripts and it being someone who coincidently also created multiplayer scenarios at the same time...

Nice thread though.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 28 November 2011 08:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
Nice job, Lewonas! Lots of good info here.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 28 November 2011 08:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
I gotta use this when I make my RPGs from now on. This will be useful. More than useful, an innovation. It'll be my secret weapon, my Scenario Designing directory. My preciousssssss.

I'm the he he ha ha hilarious Entertainer and Scenario Designer of Mythic Studios:Mythic StudiosYou better laugh at my jokes...
Expert n00b to modding alert!!!
Where's the beef!?!?!?
Silly Songs with Larry The Water Buffalo Song
Ain't No Mountain High Enough!
Like Fallout 3? Join my forum!Fallout 3 New Vegas
posted 28 November 2011 09:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
According to this less than 4.2% of AoM players will enjoy my newest map.
posted 28 November 2011 09:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
One thing I really don't understand is muliplayer maps. Random people make so many multiplayer maps in the downloads section, yet multiplayer is the area of the game which is probably the emptiest, due to lack of people online all the time. Single player is the way to go, because we have a very active community, and people can play single player much easier than multiplayer.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 29 November 2011 05:41 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

@nottud: Yes you're right, the survey looks at normal supremacy RMS. Your RMS are more like random scenario scripts .
impopular
unpopular
Herp derp, I'm such a n00b.

@Glen654: A storyline is what creates a RPG; if there isn't a story, then the scenario isn't a RPG. Puzzles and multiple endings are less important because they play only a minor role in the RPG. You must first make sure that the RPG has all the fundamental things it needs:
1. Storyline and Plot
2. Enjoyable Battle System
3. Secrets, Dynamic Events and Sidequests
4. Character Development
5. Map Design
...after that you can still decide if your RPG needs any puzzles, boss battles, different number of endings, etc. Important things must come first.

@Marauder1221: Your preciousssssss? You mean, our preciousssssss.

@Winston: The only valid reason I can think of is that multiplayer scenarios are a lot easier to make than singleplayer. FWG scenarios are very popular, yet the maps are fully covered in Grass A and have close to 0 triggers. People play these scenarios because they're enjoyable when you get to play them with 6 players. But singleplayer scenarios are a whole different story...

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 11-29-2011 @ 08:13 AM).]

posted 29 November 2011 05:57 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
This is very useful for anyone making a scenario and who wants to know what makes people "tick".
I could use this for my currently post-poned RPG.
It's surprising that no one has thought of doing a survey like this before, back when there were more people creating and playing scenarios.

It started with a low light; Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type; It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping; That I could leave this star-crossed world behind
But when they cut me open; I guess I changed my mind.
------------------------------------------
Hmm.. How about FAIL for another twat Member of the Month :P ~BSU_DoLhades
posted 30 November 2011 04:30 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
It's surprising that no one has thought of doing a survey like this before, back when there were more people creating and playing scenarios.
Maybe that is because back then you only needed 5% of the community to play your map to see it be hosted by someone else.
posted 30 November 2011 06:25 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
Maybe that is because back then you only needed 5% of the community to play your map to see it be hosted by someone else.
This exactly.

posted 30 November 2011 07:19 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Thanks for putting this together, Lewonas, it's very useful information.
posted 30 November 2011 05:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Still...
Ah well. I see your point

It started with a low light; Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type; It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping; That I could leave this star-crossed world behind
But when they cut me open; I guess I changed my mind.
------------------------------------------
Hmm.. How about FAIL for another twat Member of the Month :P ~BSU_DoLhades
posted 01 December 2011 12:43 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
Well I hope people noticed the newsie :P

I have made FWGs in the past, simply because the original FWGs had no trigger other than music and dont edit the map, so I added choice triggers and a 'compensation' system which I now know how to improve alot further :P

Regardless, like Mythic Studios did with Statue Dodge, nowadays I generally make Hybrid maps which work online and offline.

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » RPG Survey - RESULT PAGE
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: