You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Make Units Stand on top of Buildings and more (Guide)
posted 01 March 2013 09:36 PM EDT (US)   

Hello, everybody. Firstly, I would like to say that the units in this guide cannot move, be selected, or perform anything. They can only stand around in the first frame of their birth animation. Units cannot actually walk on top of buildings, but they can appear to stand on them. That being said, this guide is also about more than just making units stand on top of buildings. A LOT more. I've been wanting to keep this trick a secret until I released my next scenario, (then everybody'd be like ZOMG HOW'D YOU DO THAT) but seeing as there are few designers left, I might as well help them in any way I can. XD

About
I figured this trick out while making patterns for AoM Danmaku. My problem was that I wanted non-projectile units for projectiles. After some playing around, I found this holy gift sent from god: Wadjet Spit. That and Nottud's ytriggers and Attach triggers. You'll need those. Oh, and his Transform trigger too. Heck, just download everything by Nottud. XD. Anyways, as I was saying, I found Wadjet Spit to be this miraculous gift. It is one of the few units in the game where when you attach something to it, no garrison flag appears. It is also the only unit in the game where you can attach something to it and have that something appear in-game with no garrison flag. So here is that previous pattern but using Wadjet Spit instead, and I attached Vortex Finish Linked to them to give a beautiful and deadly effect.

Great. You can make pretty patterns in AoM, Zeno, but lets get to the point. How does this relate to making units stand on buildings?

Well, as I stated before, Wadjet Spit is the only unit in the game where you can attach something to it that will appear in-game without a garrison flag. Therefore, you can use the Attach Unit trigger or Nottud's ytriggers to attach units to wadjet spits. The cool thing about this is, Wadjet Spit is a projectile. Therefore, units can walk through those attached units, which can create other really cool effects.

Examples
Here are some examples of what you can do.

Here, you can see that villagers are standing on bridges. What's more, units are walking underneath those villagers and those bridges. The way I did this was by attaching shrunken-down bridges to wadjet spits, teleporting them to their proper locations using Hail's Transport in Circle triggers, and then using a trick from AoM Danmaku to deploy numerous Wadjet Spits, attach villagers to them, and teleport them to their desired locations.
This is an arena scenario that I've made and don't really have much use for. It'll be up in the downloads section sometime or another for anyone who wants it.

As a projectile, Wadjet Spit can be teleported to any elevation. This can create cool effects such as units rising from the ground and maybe even flying buildings and whatnot.

If only eyecandy gods like Oscar were still around. I can only imagine what they'd make with this. Probably massive towering buildings that units could also walk into, because the walls have no unit occlusion.

Of course I had to include this. :3

CURSED STUBBORN BOULDER ROLLINGS RAAAAAIG. These, Boulder Walls, rock sprites, and other terrain objects refuse to be moved to any elevation other than default. This is because, (i think) they are stuck as terrain textures, and therefore impossible to move to different elevations above or below ground. (I was gonna make boulder rolling units smash out of the ground or fall from the sky, but THEY REFUSE)

How To
What I normally do is deploy some unit, or use an already existing unit on the map. I then either use Nottud's ytriggers (for units that I deployed in-game) or the Attach Unit effect (for units I've already placed down in the editor) to attach something to that unit. Finally, I transform that unit to Wadjet Spit and teleport it to the desired location using QV Vectors.

A Couple Things to Note
-Wadjet Spit is still a projectile. Therefore, it has a lifespan. To circumvent this, you can just transform some unit without a lifespan into a wadjet spit, therefore keeping the lifespan of the unit being transformed from.

-Wadjet Spits aren't completely invisible. They leave behind unit shadows.

-Units attached are stuck in the animation they were in when attached. I found this out while making random patterns while attaching random units like scarabs to them. As you can see, only the scarab shells are visible because they are stuck in the first frame of their birth animations.

Okay, that's it for the guide. Sorry if someone's posted something like this before, and I hope people find this useful. I will feature this trick in my upcoming scenario. Heck, you guys already saw a screenshot of it. >.> The Arena scenario and the two danmaku patterns will be available for download so you can see some of this stuff in action. I really have no use for the Arena scenario. You guys can use it if you want, just give credit. DL Available

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 03-06-2013 @ 07:40 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01 March 2013 10:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
ZOMG HOWD YOU DO THAT

Really this is amazing, nicely laid out showcase too. I'll definitely be using this.

posted 02 March 2013 02:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
This method has some pros and cons over the method I already knew. The method I already knew was to create a little spike land where the unit would stand and place the unit on that. That way allows the unit to use animations. Your method is good because it lets other unit go underneath them. I can see that berry very useful.
posted 02 March 2013 05:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Awesome guide! The walking underneath aspect is incredibly useful and I too could only imagine what people would do with this knowledge back in the day. Thanks for sharing

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
posted 02 March 2013 05:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Really this is amazing, nicely laid out showcase too. I'll definitely be using this.
ah, I'm glad at least one person finds this useful.
This method has some pros and cons over the method I already knew. The method I already knew was to create a little spike land where the unit would stand and place the unit on that.
yeah, both are good, but this one is less stable. (stupid random AoM glitches)
The walking underneath aspect is incredibly useful and I too could only imagine what people would do with this knowledge back in the day.
Yeah, their ideas would be pretty mind-blowing, but unfortunately, they're not here anymore.

posted 02 March 2013 05:50 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
That colosseum looks epic I was actually thinking about making some units based on the spartacus tv show and it looks like you already made the arena for them
posted 03 March 2013 07:37 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
well, I already submitted it to the downloads section you can use it if you want when Hades clears it.

posted 04 March 2013 09:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Great guide, Zeno. I really like your arena as well. It sparks my imagination to make up a story just as an excuse to try this out. Baske and I dreamed up a story with an arena as the center of the functioning of the game and this idea would have been perfect.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 05 March 2013 11:15 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
I could see people using this quite well...

good combination of units could result into a sort of 'Cavern' for ships to go through :3

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 07 March 2013 06:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
DL is up.

posted 08 March 2013 04:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
Oscar may not be around but I sure am...

|MEMORY|
posted 11 March 2013 09:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
:-O its Kai! Don't worry, when I say eyecandy gods like Oscar, it includes all eyecandy gods. You're not excluded.

posted 11 March 2013 09:37 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
I think we need a decent guide guide. There's so much good stuff all scattered around and uncategorized.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 12 March 2013 01:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
kai email me

posted 12 March 2013 08:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
OK dude

|MEMORY|
posted 26 March 2013 03:44 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
A unit having no garrison flag and the unit appearing on the outside is a great find in itself! I used to use a unit called "dove" but I think... but that still had a garrison flag.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 26 March 2013 03:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
kai email me back

posted 26 March 2013 05:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
Fantastic guide, still new things coming out . Certainly deserves a place in the SD library. I'm sure this will be handy for screenshot makers and eyecandiers alike.
No idea how you made those patterns or how y/attach triggers work . Bit out of date but I'm old.

@Elrich Out of date but the only one we have.

@Kai Good to see you old chap.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 03-26-2013 @ 05:50 PM).]

posted 26 March 2013 06:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
A unit having no garrison flag and the unit appearing on the outside is a great find in itself!
Yeah, thanks! I was so happy when I found it, because before that, all my projectiles would have ugly garrison flags sticking out of them.
No idea how you made those patterns or how y/attach triggers work .
oh i guess you missed it. XD

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 03-26-2013 @ 06:51 PM).]

posted 09 April 2013 10:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
Suh-weet!
This is triggering and eycandy-ing far beyond my meager scope. But it looks super awesome.
And nice to see all the old faces again!
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to Make Units Stand on top of Buildings and more (Guide)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames