Bottom
Topic Subject: Awesome band!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 May 2010 07:13 PM EDT (US)   
Replies:
posted 09 May 2010 07:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 44  
Rush - lead singer = "Awesome band!"
Rush w/ lead singer =/= "Awesome band!"

SO SAYETH THE CHEESE MAN! KNOWER OF ALL THINGS MUSIC!

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 09 May 2010 08:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 44  
Eh, although unique his singing is not actually amazing in my opinion. Good, but not as impressive as his bass, writing, and multiple-instrument-playing-at-once skills.

Im trying to learn La villa Strangiato on the guitar... its a pain
posted 09 May 2010 09:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 44  
Rush is okay.

So many more exponentially better bands though.

posted 09 May 2010 09:46 PM EDT (US)     4 / 44  
GnR + Foo Fighters / The Beatles x the song "Hey Soul Sister" = All I listen to.

HH - AoMH

Total Forge projects completed: 82 (includes screenshots, game variants, and map variants)
Current Forge project: A secret!
posted 09 May 2010 09:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 44  
Math does not work that way.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
posted 09 May 2010 10:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 44  
Those are all just random variables. It's only a coincidence that they spell anything out.

HH - AoMH

Total Forge projects completed: 82 (includes screenshots, game variants, and map variants)
posted 09 May 2010 11:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 44  
I discovered this band in the early 80's. Moving Pictures was huge at the time and the live album, Exit Stage Left had just come out. When I heard the guitar solo intro to La Villa Strangiato, I was simply blown away. Alex Lifeson is an immensely underappreciated guitarist.

I am glad people are still discovering their music. I have had years (decades ) of enjoyment from the challenge of learning to play their songs. There is so much to appreciate in their music from the lyrics of well-read Peart and his drumming to Geddy and Alex's musicianship and songwriting abilities. I actually never thought of Geddy as a singer so much as the guy of the three would could sing, but I think he has really come to use his voice as yet another 'instrument' he can play simultaneously. He writes the most amazing vocal melodies.

I hope you guys find yourself interested in looking deeper into their music than just their more popular songs. I still spin their latest album, Snakes and Arrows, over and over again.

@Thymole: that's a great song. The guitar solo is probably my favorite one of all time, so keep on working on it. A while ago I posted a video of me playing 'Hope' off their most recent album:

http://www.youtube.com/elechliter#p/u/4/XnirBs6LaAY

enjoy.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 09 May 2010 11:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 44  
80's
I really don't mean to be a grammar Nazi, but this is like THE pet peeve of mine. The apostrophe replaces the missing characters, in this case, the 19. When you say "80's", you're saying that something is owned my the number or year 80 (BC/BCE).

Just remember, it's '80s, not 80's. That's all.

But remember, when it comes to good old hip-hop, you can't go wrong with the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, or Jay-Z.

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
posted 09 May 2010 11:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 44  
I think Limelight is their best song. But as for under appreciated guitarist, I can say the same for David Gilmour.
posted 10 May 2010 02:37 AM EDT (US)     10 / 44  
This song is on Guitar hero.

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 10 May 2010 06:29 AM EDT (US)     11 / 44  
Never listened much to Rush, but the little I've heard is great.

The little I've heard, in case you're wondering, is "Working Man" and "Ghost Rider". I'm going to listen to the links you posted when it won't disturb anyone else (i.e. later). ^_^

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 10 May 2010 08:11 AM EDT (US)     12 / 44  
Yeah... I'm up to about 1/4 of the way through the montage of notes in the first solo if that makes any sense. When the song slows down...

Anyway, that video was sick. Nice job
posted 10 May 2010 09:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 44  
@Mozzy: *sigh* - I'd definitely put that in the grammar nazi category, especially after how much care I put into grammar. Your just being pointlessly picky over their.

@Thymole: The way he builds from sultry volume pedalled notes at first to just tearing it up at the end (where he plays over F/A) has such feel. Whatever you do, don't miss the feel. Let me know if you have a hard time finding TAB on a song. Pretty much every song is covered out there, but they quite often miss that last little detail that makes it perfect.

@Hammerhands: I love Gilmour. On The Turning Away is such an incredible song (and I could name so many more of his that just 'hit' me square on). He creates such an emotion with his voice and songs that goes right through you.

@ILB: My friend complained to me about Ghost Rider when it came out. He said it was too whiny, then I told him well, it's about how Neil felt when he lost his 18 year old daughter in a car crash and then in less than a year later his wife to cancer leaving him alone in a house full of memories. If there was ever a case of 'I'd rather be anywhere but here', that was it, so he left that home and rode thousands of miles on his motorcycle trying escape and accept what had happened to him.

posted 10 May 2010 11:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 44  
But remember, when it comes to good old hip-hop, you can't go wrong with the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, or Jay-Z.
Kanye West is the voice of a generation.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
posted 10 May 2010 12:00 PM EDT (US)     15 / 44  
Yeah, the F and A part (weird A though, it's like

-)

I don't have any pedals but I can get pretty close by messing with my tone and bridge. I have a good tab, but it's the rhythm that keeps getting me, if you have any sort of sheet music that'd help
posted 10 May 2010 01:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 44  
All that A (5th fret high E string) does is trade the open E string (traditional A chord) for the higher A, but you should be giving his solo a try at that point anyway. I'll see if I can find any good tabs on it. So many tab sites are just BS these days. Tell me in Min:sec (and which version of the song), where you'd like help.

pHraeKAY: I like Kanye and I do believe him when he says he's an actual 'musician', though I'd like him more if he let his music do most of the talking about how good he is.

@Coldviper: Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are great albums of theirs. I heard in their tour this year they will play MP in its entirety. I have been waiting to die so I can hear what I, and many, consider their quintessential song, Camera Eye, live. Alex had such a great guitar sound on those albums.

posted 10 May 2010 04:56 PM EDT (US)     17 / 44  
The only album(s) I have is the Gold mercury. It's about 25 songs. I'll check out camera eye .

One of my favorites is Xanadu. That is one nice piece of music!

This is another good song!
posted 10 May 2010 06:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 44  
Your just being pointlessly picky over their.
Maybe, but it's just such a common thing that bugs me a bit. When I was in school, all my teachers did it. All my friends do it now. It's just one of those things, you know?

Kanye West is not what I'd call 'the voice of a generation'. Beyonce's video, on the other hand, is one of the best of all time!

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
posted 10 May 2010 07:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 44  
I've known Rush for a while, they're good, but Dream Theater are better Imo.

Welcome, to my domain.

My Email is: Henrz.me@hotmail.com

kthx.
posted 10 May 2010 11:52 PM EDT (US)     20 / 44  
Maybe, but it's just such a common thing that bugs me a bit. When I was in school, all my teachers did it. All my friends do it now. It's just one of those things, you know?
if everyone does it, it's not incorrect. it's custom.

you see, there's this thing called language. and people use it, you see, to communicate with each other.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

[This message has been edited by Meteora (edited 05-10-2010 @ 11:53 PM).]

posted 11 May 2010 05:12 AM EDT (US)     21 / 44  
You know, just because (near) everyone does it, that does not make it any more right. ^_^

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 11 May 2010 06:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 44  
Errors are not customs. I don't want to completely derail this thread, suffice it to say that languages don't change fundamentally because people misuse apostrophes.

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
posted 11 May 2010 10:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 44  
Srsly.

HH - AoMH

posted 11 May 2010 10:24 PM EDT (US)     24 / 44  
The whole 1980 vs 80s thing is bullshit.

You could slap tons of shit onto something, but you only need to if something isn't clear.

Afterall, you don't say
"The Earth Year 1980 Anno Domini of the Gregorian Calendar"
posted 11 May 2010 10:41 PM EDT (US)     25 / 44  
D-d... d-do you even know what we're talking about? When were we talking about 1980 vs '80? I know we were talking about the use of apostrophes, but... we were never talking about fanciful usage of phrases such as, "in the year of our Lord," and, "Earth year".

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Awesome band!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames