Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Suggestions for Capture the Flag
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 29 June 2006 07:19 PM EDT (US)   
The CRC clan is proud to announce its plans to design a "Capture the Flag" scenario. Before beginning, however, we ask the AOMH community for any input regarding gameplay. Tell us what you want to see, but remember to be specific!

To get a feel for our designing style try downloading crc~colosseum! Don't forget to leave a review and thanks for the support.

NEW UPDATE:

After many long months the mapwork is nearly complete. I still have quite a way to go yet with the triggers, but in the meantime I'm open to any feedback.

sweetname (a.k.a. CRC_zsrjegfuie)

[This message has been edited by sweetname (edited 12-09-2007 @ 08:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 29 June 2006 08:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 50  
We do need a capture the flag that isn't biased towards one side, like so many others. If there is one, I haven't seen it.

Maybe if you made the map interesting, but also very fair. That could mean making it symetrical, but that is only an option.

The "runners" should have many different upgrades, including speed, attack, and armour.

and.. yeh =P Have fun dont screw up!

posted 29 June 2006 09:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 50  
@AdZyZ
Yeah, I thought of implementing upgrades for runners, but the only problem I face is how a player would "earn" an upgrade. Would it be on the number of flags caught (assuming each game has multiple "rounds") or maybe on how far you get into an enemy's base? Another option is to employ a "mythodea" aspect and have armies available to assist your "runner". Then upgrades could be based on kills or kills and deaths, something to that effect.

The map would be symmetrical, or at least balanced assymetrical.

Let me know what you think. And for the record, the CRC clan does NOT screw up, lol.

[This message has been edited by sweetname (edited 06-29-2006 @ 09:22 PM).]

posted 30 June 2006 10:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 50  
I think it should be a random map!

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 30 June 2006 03:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 50  

Quote:

If there is one, I haven't seen it.

Jonathan of Ambition Designs once made one, but I'm not sure whether it came through the playtesting phases.
posted 01 July 2006 00:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 50  
I've played a version with upgrades before.. I can't remember how players earned money =P

I'd suggest not making it a mix of mythodea and capture the flag. There must be better ways of doing it.

Ideas:

- Everybody gets a steady increase of gold, keeping the game completely even throughout the game
- You could make it like "Halo"'s capture the flag, where there could be respawning soldiers on each team, with gold rewarded for kills.

Maybe if a player loses a certain amount of units, his units get an upgrade (to balance things out)

Also, your going to have to make it so it's actually possible to get the flag off someone. My idea for this is that when the hero unit grabs the relic, the hero's speed goes way down. This will make longer lasting rounds (If your going to do rounds)

[This message has been edited by AdZyZ (edited 07-01-2006 @ 00:36 AM).]

posted 02 July 2006 03:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 50  
Right now I'm envisioning three runners for each player, with four players total. Upgrades for your runner are based on kills and you select the upgrade: speed or hp/armor. You can also "sacrifice" an upgrade for a godpower.

I want to make it so that if you grab your own flag your speed goes down harshly (so that you can't move it around abusively), but if you grab someone else's your speed falls only slightly. (Remember that I'm using relics for flags).

Another idea is to make your flag appear in a different location (in your "territory") if your runner grabs it. Does anyone have suggestions for how to set up the triggers for either of these options?

posted 02 July 2006 07:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 50  
You could make it like many other capture the flag games where if you stop them from taking your relic, and grab it yourself, it teleports back to your base.

And how about using lures as walls? This way a player can design their own wall as they see fit. It's somewhat more interesting than just regular walls, and an extra lure could be granted every 30 seconds or so.

posted 03 July 2006 00:55 AM EDT (US)     8 / 50  
u could also have it so u could buy a builder. the only problem with lures is u cant make them invincible or u can just wall ur flag off.

death is not the worst, it is the ultimate end
posted 03 July 2006 03:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 50  
Why would you want the lures to be invincible? Then players would just block off their relic, causing a stalemate. Also, I believe you could use the modify protounit effect, but I'm not sure.
posted 03 July 2006 02:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 50  
thats my point. see either u make them easy to kill in which thers not much point or u make them hard to kill in which u can block off the flag.

posted 03 July 2006 06:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 50  
I like the idea of a "builder". I have just the way to implement it too. Thanks!
posted 03 July 2006 08:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 50  
i made a fair ctf as well. but whenever i play it online the triggers dont work at all, but they do when i lpaytest it. thats wierd!
posted 03 July 2006 11:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 50  
@nchoate902

That's probably because the triggers you're using are single-player only. Use the search feature at the bottom of the forums to find lists of triggers that don't function properly in multiplayer. It's not devastating, but you will have to do some work to switch them over.

@everyone

I've started work, the map is really promising right now, but it's still in the rough stages. As I get closer to completion (approximately a month) I'll provide a more extensive list of features.

Potential Features Include:

- Relic = Flag
- "Runners" are Upgradable (speed, hp, armor, etc.)
- God Powers Can Be Purchased Using Favor
- Teleportation Pads
- Themed Arenas

Keep the suggestions coming and be prepared to download a revolutionary map!

posted 03 July 2006 11:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 50  

Quote:

We do need a capture the flag that isn't biased towards one side, like so many others. If there is one, I haven't seen it.

I made an unbiased Capture the Flag. But then it got edited, and was ruined.

posted 04 July 2006 07:21 PM EDT (US)     15 / 50  
I would like to see it so that you can get tagged by enemy team. I started to make one of these but did not have the patience for making a line across the middle.

The mind knows only what lies near the heart. The Poetic Eddas

So long, Paperfriend, and thanks for all the fish.

posted 04 July 2006 11:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 50  
I made a game just like that ounce but it was football lol so it was completely different but fun lol.
posted 06 July 2006 04:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 50  
@Daysar

Yes, I'm trying to incorporate a "tagging" element right now. The only problem is how to go about it. Any ideas?

@Dark Ownage

You do realize that your one sentence post contradicts itself? lol

posted 07 July 2006 01:21 AM EDT (US)     18 / 50  
u could make taggin optional, if its on u can if its off then just melee all over the place. make some of the tellys one way. like from ur base to the middile of the map or something. u could also have sniping ledges if u gunna have archers. and u could let ppl chose their player at the bigging. say. billista, long range, powerfull, slow, and minimum range. like for base def. and like a arcus. medium range. low damage. low hit points. and like a jarl. fast, medium damage. medium hp and armour. and minitar, slow, high damage, high armour, high hp. ???

posted 09 July 2006 07:18 PM EDT (US)     19 / 50  
I like the idea of a huge honkin' map (at least 500X500) to play on. With loads of cliffs, forests and water. Maybe with "wild" myth units to get in your way. Also, have god powers invoked in various points in the map at random times. Keep the map symmetrical, as well as the wild units and god powers (1 trigger makes 2 god powers, on symmetrical points on the map).

I'm on a a mac, I don't have titans, I'm new to age of mythology but not all RTS.
Pi memorisers club! Not to be confused with Pi club! Memorise Pi to at least 10 decimal places (3.1415926535) and post what you have memorised in your signature! 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944
posted 10 July 2006 00:29 AM EDT (US)     20 / 50  
symitrys fine to a certian extent. but its also makes things boring. never different stratagies. how ever u dont want to have the exact same type of tree in the exact same place on both side. also big is good but it makes it hard to run into ppl. also to make it harder to grab the flag u could make it so u see ppl who have it. also different game types would be cool. like oddball, slayer, and ctf and u could choose at the beggining. those r just some that halo has and thier nice. u could also have different ones like flag stockpiling or something.

posted 10 July 2006 03:07 AM EDT (US)     21 / 50  
Lol.. there is only so much you can do on AOM without spending a year.

-[Hello..
posted 10 July 2006 03:26 AM EDT (US)     22 / 50  
@Nuclear Arbitor

I think I'm going to stick with "tagging" (getting reasonably close) to someone with the flag. I don't want to involve "sides" of the map (tag enemies on your side, but they're safe on their side) because the triggering for each quarter would be very irritating (not too mention aesthetically unnecessary and potentially "buggy"). I'm still not sure whether to include "helper" armies or just your old man/men.

I like the whole idea of "different game modes". I'll let you know how that plays in when I get farther into development.

@Chamale
Definitely not going to make it 500x500, but it is larger than crc~colosseum. Random godpowers sounds like a good idea (if it works into the scenario), but I'm not convinced on random beasts just yet.

Keep the suggestions coming!

posted 10 July 2006 06:54 AM EDT (US)     23 / 50  
I'd suggest no beasts also. You really have to lay down the rules of your game now, otherwise theres only so much you can do.

-[Hello..
posted 10 July 2006 04:50 PM EDT (US)     24 / 50  
u gotta be carful with god powers, tornado is very good at ruining things. espcily scine all it does is knock the tress over and not kill them. traps might work though, like shockwave ones.

posted 11 July 2006 02:38 AM EDT (US)     25 / 50  
Shockwaves don't work on hero's..

-[Hello..
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Suggestions for Capture the Flag
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames