Bottom
Topic Subject: From A to B -Scenario Design Competition
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
posted 12 June 2007 04:46 PM EDT (US)   

AoMH - From A to B(etter), 2007

Official Contest Thread

CONTEST CANCLED

Good luck to all participants!

Finally it's time to get started on a great new contest! After our last Pretty Town, we decided to host a kind of competition that tests designers on almost every front: eye candy, triggers, effects, cinematic, story line, etc., etc.

This is the result: The 'From A to B(etter)' competition!

Overview & Rules

Goal: Think up and execute a scenario that requires the judge to move from point A to point B in the most creative and fun method. Either for Age of Mythology or Age of Mythology – The Titans.
This means you need to submit a playable scenario, instead of the previous contest in which the focus was on eye candy. This theme also allows a lot more different landscapes, since you don't need to have any cities. However, you should still make it look pretty.

It is important to provide clear instructions: Use the objectives banner as often as possible. Don't let us (the judges) get lost in the middle of judging.

Next to that, it's suggested to also have message-based instructions, or a group of cinematics that is played at the beginning of and during the scenario, to highlight important messages. Either method is acceptable, and, as roughly the same amount of work is involved in each, both methods are considered equally good in the eyes of the judges.

Since your map might only be played once for each judge, try not to use randomised effects and/or give the player choices that dramatically affect the course of the story line and/or game play.

In short:
Make a playable scenario, highlight important stuff, highlight instructions, and be sure to use the objectives. Do not use randomised effects or large player choices as we will only be playing each scenario once.

Rules:
  • The map must be a scenario that requires the judge to move from point A to point B.
  • All entrants must create a clear set of instructions.
  • Music and/or sound effects will be optional. Inclusion of music and/or sound effects will not affect judgement.
  • Simple AI scripts are allowed. Inclusion of simple AI scripts will not affect judgement.
  • Mod packs that need downloading for the judges are not allowed; tools as reyk's editor and custom triggers are allowed.
  • Play time must not exceed 1.5 hours (90 minutes). If 1.5 hours pass, we will simply stop and score up to the point we reached.
  • Designers may only enter one map. Multiple submissions are allowed (ie. should a designer decide to make changes to a submitted map), but only one such submission will be judged.
  • Only maps created after the competition opens will be accepted.
  • Only one person may work on any given map.
  • The map must include some sort of storyline for it to be judged.
  • The scenario must be Singleplayer

Prizes

1st Place: Custom title, AoM T-shirt, AoM poster, and $30

2nd Place: Custom title, AoM T-shirt, AoM poster

3rd Place: Custom title, AoM T-shirt

Judgement Criteria & Judges

Judgement Criteria:
Below is the judgement criteria. A maximum of one-hundred points can be earned. Each judge will give a rating between 0-100 for each map. In the end, all the scores will be added together and the winner will be decided.
  • Game Play (30 points): This category is, in one word, a measurement of 'fun'; how much did the judges enjoy playing the map? Are there any special gimmicks they enjoyed? Were we able to finish the scenario?

• Aesthetics (20 points): This category essentially takes into account just how the map looks. Judgement will be based on whether the map is pleasing to the eye, or plain and unappealing. Please take note that only the areas the judges will see while playing the map are rated.

• Story Line (20 points): This category is for the plot in your scenario: did it make sense (chronological order?)? Was the story well developed? Did we (the judges) get sense of character as we played?

• Originality (20 points): This category looks at the overall originality and creativity of the map. Judgement will be based on how innovative and original aspects of the map are in general. Did the game include anything that made us go "Wow!"?

• Trigger Work (10 points): This category checks the working of your triggers. If we find any bugs, your score may go down depending on the severity. Be sure to check, recheck, and recheck again your map!

Judges:

The maps will be judged by: Papaya, Paperfriend, The Vandhaal and Alex.

Duration

06-12-2007 - 10-07-2007

Please send your entry by bundling all appropriate files into a ZIP archive and email it to any one of the judges -- just make sure to include "AoMH Contest Entry" in the subject line of the message.

Good Luck Everyone!

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by PaPaya (edited 10-10-2007 @ 10:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 September 2007 06:40 AM EDT (US)     201 / 256  
If only I'd have known this would be extended so much .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 09-23-2007 @ 06:40 AM).]

posted 23 September 2007 08:26 AM EDT (US)     202 / 256  
Me too....
Guess This competition wasn't as organized as I thought.

A green great dragon.
posted 23 September 2007 09:25 AM EDT (US)     203 / 256  
yah! I can finish now!

Cerberus- The three headed guard dog who guards the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon.
posted 23 September 2007 10:15 AM EDT (US)     204 / 256  
haha.. I promise I will finish it this time.

-[Hello..
posted 23 September 2007 06:41 PM EDT (US)     205 / 256  
Ah man, I didn't think I could finish in time so I gave up, and didn't work on it for most of september.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
posted 23 September 2007 07:59 PM EDT (US)     206 / 256  
Rofl yesterday I almost killed myself trying to finish.

If only I checked this thread earlier...

posted 24 September 2007 02:32 AM EDT (US)     207 / 256  
How did you try to kill yourself?

But that's the spirit though, never retreat, never surrender.

Honourary Mention in the 2006 Pretty Town Contest
A Unique Age of Mythology Experience:
A Trip to Talos
It's f*cking awesome
posted 24 September 2007 02:47 AM EDT (US)     208 / 256  
I wish I could of entered but I couldn't do the move from point A to point B part. I can't do cinematics and even some of the basic triggers!

<3
posted 24 September 2007 05:05 PM EDT (US)     209 / 256  
How did you try to kill yourself?
By doing AoM 12 hours straight....

posted 26 September 2007 05:13 PM EDT (US)     210 / 256  
You were nearly there! If you would've played one more hour an evil Hersir would jump out of the screen and would smash you to the bottom floor with his massive hammer.

I have seen this happen to my friend. So I'm not lying.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
posted 06 October 2007 11:49 AM EDT (US)     211 / 256  
So the deadline is almost here, is the contest going to end this time, or is it going to be postponed once again?

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
posted 06 October 2007 12:54 PM EDT (US)     212 / 256  
I must go now. I cannot finish the map unless the competition lasts until Monday instead of Sunday.

Cerberus- The three headed guard dog who guards the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon.
posted 07 October 2007 01:31 AM EDT (US)     213 / 256  
hey! i have never enterred an AOM comp. i might have a go. *makes game* there! finished. ok, here u go paperfriend...

*crosses fingers hopefully*

sincerely and hopefully,

(Feel free to check out one of my games; Fort Azgul, "http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=6984".

Proud member of PURPLE DESIGN STUDIOS!

[This message has been edited by zorkax (edited 10-07-2007 @ 01:36 AM).]

posted 07 October 2007 05:16 PM EDT (US)     214 / 256  
So, how many people have actually submitted their map?

I gave up on mine

posted 07 October 2007 05:43 PM EDT (US)     215 / 256  
I did mine, but I'm guessing the turnout must've been low, for the deadline keeps getting pushed back.

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
Accomplishments:
The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
Work In Progress:
Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
posted 08 October 2007 04:55 AM EDT (US)     216 / 256  
I apologise (once again) for my lateness.

I came to the realisation that my project was just too big for me to finish at the moment, but don't worry!

I've been doing a much smaller thing for the competition (but still decent quality) which will be completed very soon!

-[Hello..
posted 08 October 2007 12:23 PM EDT (US)     217 / 256  
Welcome to the club.

My 800x800 was way too big, and having never done something so epic before, I had not much planning experience in triggers. I had to do them section by section to avoid playtesting for hours. Of course, now the problem is linking them back together.

I give up. Sorry to Judges who were so generous to give us more time.

posted 09 October 2007 04:17 AM EDT (US)     218 / 256  
Just make something small but original.

That's what I'm doing.

-[Hello..
posted 09 October 2007 03:50 PM EDT (US)     219 / 256  
However, deadline is already past.

posted 09 October 2007 04:23 PM EDT (US)     220 / 256  
I will have submitted this and emailed to one of the judges in three days. You have my permission to feed an apple to a fish if I do not. (lol, that's actually a quote from my scen, an old guy says, "God says you should never feed an apple to a fish!")

posted 09 October 2007 10:53 PM EDT (US)     221 / 256  
Hey guys, it comes with great disappointment that I account the canceling of this contest. It is obvious now that we do not have the community active enough, nor skilled enough to compete in this type of contest.

Thank you to all who actually entered, feel free to post your scenarios up in the download section. We will be hosting another, simpler, contest soon that will hopefully better suit the community.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 09 October 2007 11:15 PM EDT (US)     222 / 256  
nor skilled enough
I doubt that.

It's just that we have time managing issues...

posted 09 October 2007 11:26 PM EDT (US)     223 / 256  
We're unskilled with time management.

posted 10 October 2007 01:18 AM EDT (US)     224 / 256  
Its true. We've got to get people more engaged in competitions.

I think this competition would've benefited from allowing people to showcase their scenario before the judging time. That allows people to start getting excited, and by checking out other ideas they can accumulate their own.

-[Hello..
posted 10 October 2007 12:56 PM EDT (US)     225 / 256  
| Scenario       |
| Competition   |
|                   |
|    From         |
|06-12-2007    |
|       to         |
| 10-07-2007  |
|                   |
| a lot of       |
|good intent- |
|ions, but       |      0oOo
|not a lot of   |        \/
|scenarios      |        \
============------\--

I'll jump in next time. Maybe a map size restriction and a promise NOT to move the deadlines will straighten us up

(geez this Html/Ascii art isn't as easy as it used to be..)

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » From A to B -Scenario Design Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames