AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Creating shadowland and cavern terrain on the surface
posted 08-12-08 09:38 PM EDT (US)   
A couple of n00b questions for you now:

1) How do I create diggable earth on the surface?
(See Riverland Wars if you want an example)

2) How do I put shadow water onto the surface?
(See Across the Wyrding Sea if you want an example)

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Replies:
posted 08-12-08 10:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
Hey Roger,

1) As far as I know, you cannot place diggable earth on the surface without problems (was recently looking into it w v15) but its easy to place cavern tiles from the [caverns] tab. This was done in TT map. Be aware that 'path of' abilities will make it disappear.

V15 will come with ones that do not.

2) There are two ways to do it. The old fashioned way (as seen in DoD) is to have change terrain events. The better way is, if you play v14, or any mod built on top of it, there should be a tile under [Shadow] that allows you to place it.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 08-13-08 07:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
Thanks for the reply.

Instead of using the diggable earth that is next to the rock icon, I have used the one in the [Cavern] tab which shows earth bound together with something. Perhaps that will work. I notice that when I load The Riverland Wars map now, whereas before it was diggable earth on the surface, it now shows as rock on the surface instead. Maybe it was an AoW2 map? I've definitely played that map various times in the past, with diggable earth on the surface.

I did mention in my review of the map "Underdark Dwiggs" that path of decay removes a lot of the rock and diggable earth that the mapmaker placed on the surface. Great news that this will not happen with the new Upatch 1.5 tiles.

As regards using shadow water on the surface, that has definitely been used in the Wyrding Sea map, yet if I try to copy it from that map and paste it into my map, it won't let me. Obviously shadow water is not in the [Shadow] tab, it's an icon between the shadow land and shadow void icons, immediately below the world map in the editor. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say that
there should be a tile under [Shadow] that allows you to place it
I am using BNW 3.1 mod incidentally, which is - needless to say really - a mod based on Upatch 1.4...

If anyone else can tell me exactly how to put shadow water on the surface, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 08-13-08 07:25 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
I am using BNW 3.1 mod incidentally, which is - needless to say really - a mod based on Upatch 1.4...
Yep, and so it's there (at least in the BNW3 beta I have)!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 08-13-2008 @ 07:31 PM).]

posted 08-13-08 10:02 PM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
The shadow water tile in the shadow tab doesn't look like the normal shadow water tab; it's a blue light thing. It's one of the last two tiles in the shadow tab, before the hills.
posted 09-25-08 09:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Thanks psykitty

I don't suppose that using shadow water and cavern tiles on the surface could be causing the Race Structure 649 error message being discussed in this thread:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=33,5297,,20

??

posted 09-26-08 09:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
Greetings all! I just stopped by because Roger sent me an email, so I thought I'd browse the forums (I don't get over here very often anymore).

The diggable earth, as I recall, can't be placed on the surface when designing a scenario. In Riverland Wars I used solid stone -- mostly as a placeholder -- and set up a script to convert the stone into diggable earth (check out the script of Riverland Wars).

Oh, hey, I just read NTJedi's post and it reminded me...might be why shadow water doesn't work for you. It has to be placed on zero elevation surface areas. Same is true for normal water, lava, and ice. This is an issue only on the surface level.

See the scenario design section here: Change Terrain

[This message has been edited by TalonThorn (edited 09-26-2008 @ 09:29 PM).]

posted 09-27-08 07:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
Hi TalonThorn, good to see you here again

Any ideas on the Race Structure 649 problem, please?

posted 09-28-08 02:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
I read through the thread, but I have no idea, and wouldn't even know where to begin. However, I also no longer have AoW:SM. Sorry.
posted 10-04-08 11:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
However, I also no longer have AoW:SM. Sorry.
GREAT HORNE TOADS !

I will keep my copy for at least another 5 years.

There can be only one.
Highlander
posted 10-07-08 01:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Well, I also have retired from gaming in general (have other things that take precedence), so don't take it wrong. Now I just lurk , and still like to help out if I can.

[This message has been edited by TalonThorn (edited 10-07-2008 @ 01:58 PM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Creating shadowland and cavern terrain on the surface
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames