You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Boat/Transport Bug Could Have A Beneficial Use!
posted 05-05-09 07:14 PM EDT (US)   
We've all experienced that dreadful bug before (while attempting to disembark from a boat/transport) that results in the game crashing to the desktop.

It happened to me again today; and I got to thinking...

Hey, I didn't even have to wait for the notorious "memory leak when exiting the game"!

So, I have a question...

Can a boat or transport unit be created that intentionally has zero movement?

If so...

(1) Create a special 'zero movement transport' for each human player.

(2) Give the special transport a passenger.

(3) Isolate the special 'zero movement transport' in such a way that the passenger could, in theory, disembark.

(4) For a speedy game exit, just click on the passenger!

I haven't tested this theory; but I have crashed out of the game in a similar fashion many times.
Replies:
posted 05-05-09 08:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Interesing idea! The transport doesn't have to have zero movement, it can just be isolated by cave walls or Shadow Void. Problem is that the player can disband the transport and passenger to eliminate the upkeep.

Another way of "fast exit" that I can think of is using the Task Manager to kill the process, but from my experience the memory leak can happen when switching to the desktop too...

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 05-05-09 09:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
Is there a minimum research cost for a summons?

If the minimum mana cost isn't too expensive then we could create a couple of cheap but useless units.

For a fast exit...

(1) cast a zero movement 'exit transport' for 1 mana

(2) summon a 'useless passenger' for 1 mana

(3) select the 'exit transpost' and click on the 'useless passenger'

Do you foresee any serious problems with that?

edit:

Longshot:

(?)Perhaps the 'exit transport' summons could already come with the 'useless passenger' included(?)

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 05-05-2009 @ 10:04 PM).]

posted 05-06-09 03:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
I've got a side note about how to avoid the 'movement exhausted boat/transport' bug...

Unbelievably, I crashed the game yesterday for a second time!

As I sailed my galley up to the shore and then tried to send my hero out to capture a nearby windmill, the game abruptly crashed to the desktop.

The boat was out of movement (movement exhausted); and after I clicked on my hero's tab in the boat, (in order to right click thus selecting only the hero for movement), the game immediately crashed to the desktop!

My side note to avoid the bug is this...

(1) select the 'movement exhausted boat/transport'

(2) click on the 'movement exhausted boat/transport' first to de-select it for movement

(3) eliminate (click on) the remaining passengers one at a time until only the desired units remain selected for movement

(4) safely move the selected party out of the 'movement exhausted boat/transport'

It seems to be my experience that if the boat/transport has zero movement remaining...

...then selecting another unit riding inside the 'movement exhausted boat/transport' first (that still has movement remaining) is is likely to cause the game to crash!

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 05-06-2009 @ 04:04 PM).]

posted 05-06-09 04:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
Never had this crash before ^.^

What tastes like chicken? Precious ? Yes !
Chicken does, but so does turkey. It means they are all
against us, how else would explain such an inconsistency ?

You ,you're against me, at least I know that.

The universe smiles wicked, hungry smile at us, but through bars, mind you.
posted 05-06-09 04:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
Back on topic...

If the 'fast-game-exit-cheap-summons-(and it's useless passenger)-theory' is a possibility...

...And if it proves to avoid the memory leak after you exit the game...

...Maybe all wizards could be edited to have the necessary 'memory-leak-avoiding-faster-game-exit-cheap-summons' as an inherent ability!

At least, this seems like it is a good way to get some benefit out of this game-bug.
posted 05-06-09 07:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
Never had this crash before ^.^
Not really off topic IMO. I used to have this bug before Upatch 1.4 but I haven't experienced it subsequently, despite Swolte's claim that Upatch 1.4 didn't fix the bug...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 05-06-09 07:29 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
A miracle!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 05-06-09 10:36 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
It's because you are self-aware of the bug, thus control more carefully the unit selection. I know this bug and how to avoid it to, but I often forget it until it happens.

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 05-07-09 01:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
Not really off topic IMO.
My statement from post #5 "Back on topic" was made before I read luke811's post #4; and, thus, doesn't refer to his statement. (I am a little slow at posting by 4 minutes).

[This message has been edited by flyguy (edited 05-07-2009 @ 01:51 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » The Boat/Transport Bug Could Have A Beneficial Use!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames