You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by GoSailing

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I'm not too eager to play in the Ancient Ages, so should I get the expansion pack?
posted 12-05-03 10:18 PM EDT (US)   
To SSSi:
I've heard your expansion pack will cover the Ancient Ages. Now, I'm not too much of a fan of the Ancient Ages, so I'm not really considering buying the expansion pack.

But apart from the Ancient Ages, what else will the expansion pack feature? Will it have a large number of more random maps, for example? In essence, what I'm asking is how much gameplay there's left after I've removed the Ancient Age from the equation.

Eagle
PS: Don't even mention Japan in this thread. First, this is about an Ancient Ages-expansion pack, so I'd be surprised if it featured Zeroes and World-War II-era Japanese soldiers... Second, I just did a search and came up with five hits, and that's just the Japan-fan threads that have Japan as part of their title.

Woad Creations veteran, WiC junkie
Replies:
posted 12-05-03 10:22 PM EDT (US)     1 / 18  
u will still want to get it if u want to play with everyone else who is eager to get the xpack

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 12-05-03 10:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18  
    the xpack will probaly not come out for long time

Now known as Delfino_Messor i am no longer BlackEvil
    Mêrlørd•Ðêšîgñ•§†ûdîø§ Scenario Designer
    posted 12-05-03 10:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18  
    I'm actually enthralled that they're coming out with a prequel. There's just something about Roman legions and Greek wars that's just cool. That's why AoE 1 was one of my favorite games for so long, and that's why Bronze Age was my favorite age in EE. I can't wait ^^

http://www.dojoclan.net
    Well I was talking to Kman, and he was like "what do you do?" and I was like "Oh, I act, go to school, dance, sing, play soccer and stuff. What do you do?" and he was like "AntiAmi." so I figured hey, it's an occupation. - Ultima_Knight
    posted 12-05-03 11:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18  
    Yeah, personally I love that time era. But that's not saying much since I like playing all the different eras.

Adder |
    "I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper
    posted 12-06-03 05:42 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18  
    im not eager either midgard. i cant wait for the third empires where i can bomb the hell out of people with supersonic stealth ST/OVL F-35's!

"If you are not a liberal at 20,you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 40, you have no brain." -Sir Winston Churchill

[This message has been edited by yobbo_da_man (edited 12-06-2003 @ 05:45 AM).]

posted 12-06-03 06:03 AM EDT (US)     6 / 18  
    i hope that this expansion had better formations which work

Well Lois, I tried finding my creativity like you said. First I tried an art class..Am I-Am I supposed to draw the penis? Then I tried sculpting..Am I-Am I supposed to sculpt the penis? Then i tried music..Am I-Am I supposed to conduct with my penis? Then I realised that this is it, Lois, my penis belongs on stage! ---Family Guy
    posted 12-06-03 07:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18  
    Roman legions = tortise formation
    Greek dudes whateva they r called = Phalanx formation

Word man word

General L. Goobs
    Victim of narrow mindedness.
    posted 12-06-03 10:26 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18  

Quote:

Greek dudes whateva they r called = Phalanx formation

That would be the phalanx that lined up in the Phalanx Formation.

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." -President Bush, State of the Union Address
    posted 12-06-03 11:34 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18  
    Acturely the Phalanx IS NOT A UNIT!... some games do that but they are wrong.... the unit is the hoplite.... the only thing phalanx refears to is the formation

thanx Mokon

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • posted 12-06-03 02:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18  
    Well, I just don't see what will be different. Right now in Medival we have arrows, swords and spear. What are they going to do, take away some units?

I just hope the xpac adds more to the game along with the other stuff.

posted 12-06-03 02:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18  
    Bravo, Mokon! The onl\y thing I would add is that Alexander the Great's "Companion Infantry" also lined up in phalanx formation.
    posted 12-06-03 04:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18  
    Are there going to be more civs in the x-pack? (I mean of course in the existing ages)

It would take a homocidal maniac with a claymore and a kilt to get the better of me!
    God made the world, but the Dutch made Holland

Woad Creations
    posted 12-06-03 05:13 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18  
    posted 12-06-03 07:57 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18  
    Then Phalanx into Centurions. What is with that?

General L. Goobs
    Victim of narrow mindedness.
    posted 12-06-03 08:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18  
    Well technically its posible to think of units abstractly so a unit in game is supposed to represent a group of fighting men. So calling it a hoplite would be bad and a phalanx would be correct since it abstracts as a group of hoplites. That at least is how I think of things since the scale of the game is so small, especially AoE which had the 50 pop limit.
    posted 12-07-03 12:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18  
    Yeah, kind of the way I envisioned it too Master_Blaster.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
    posted 12-07-03 12:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18  

Quote:

Acturely the Phalanx IS NOT A UNIT!... some games do that but they are wrong.... the unit is the hoplite.... the only thing phalanx refears to is the formation

Hoplites carried spears, phalanx carried swords...

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people." -President Bush, State of the Union Address
    posted 12-07-03 12:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18  
    No, Phalanx is a formation that is made up of many Hoplites. Hoplites had swords, but the Phalanx formation consisted of layers upon layers of long lances...like a walking fork-tank.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998
    Empires Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » I'm not too eager to play in the Ancient Ages, so should I get the expansion pack?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Empires Heaven | HeavenGames