Please login or register

Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design)
Moderated by Wok

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Design: Multiplayer Scenarios
posted 08-05-05 08:21 PM EDT (US)   
Unlike previous SSSI RTS titles multiplayer scenarios in Rise and Fall will play a more prominent role in the online arena. SSSI has stated in several interviews that they wish make online play more interesting and diverse for online enthusiasts. To accomplish this, SSSI has done away with the random map script model that was found in Empire Earth and Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. What exactly does this mean? For one online game play will probably sport a lot more interactive features that have been in the past, generally characteristic of multiplayer scenarios. These new maps, as stated in the interviews, will be constructed entirely in the scenario editor. This means that anyone will have the ability to construct maps and that the sharing of user made maps online will probably increase, when examined in comparison to Empires and Empire Earth. This is very good news for multiplayer designers, as what they are designing in will now more closely resemble what the average players plays.

Speculation: I suspect that there will be a lot more random features available in the editor to make up for the randomness factor that will be lost by doing away with random map scripts. This is good news of both veteran and beginner designers. Veterans will now have a series of tools that will allow them to increase random factors in their own scenarios. Beginners will now be able to use the scenario editor to create maps that more closely resemble random map scripts, from a design perspective, while preserving the random factor that keeps random maps fresh and interesting. I for one am very excited to see how this all turns out. I think SSSI’s plans to do away with random map scripts and use scenarios directly for online play will increase the replay value of the standard maps that will ship with Rise and Fall. Not only will the replay value of standard maps increase, but the number of custom maps will also increase.

I use to be a rather big fan of multiplayer scenarios. Until I designed Stalingrad for Empire Earth I had always been a multiplayer scenario designer. Stalingrad was in fact my first attempt to create a single player scenario. Granted I borrowed heavily from standard multiplayer elements, and essentially ended up creating a carbon copy of my multiplayer scenario Day of Defeat; it was still in the end a single player scenario. Since I made my first single player scenario, I have become more and more fed up with the online portion of the scenario design community. Often times I find the most poorly constructed, unbalanced maps to be the most popular. Rarely will you ever find a highly rated scenario from the HG downloads database being played online. Why? These maps tend to be smart, well balanced and beautifully constructed. Such factors, though appealing to multiplayer designers and a few scenario veterans, are for the most part unappealing to the general public.

I hate to say this, but I find that the average person online who is attracted to multiplayer player scenarios is generally the person who finds the actual game too challenging and is looking for an easier challenge. How else can the proliferation of maps where all you do is attack-move wave after wave of units into another player that is doing the same thing be explained? Or the so-called RPG maps where several units have had their stats cranked up and they just attack other players’ units with cranked up stats. The problem seems to be that the people multiplayer designers are trying appeal to never play multiplayer scenarios as the few examples of multiplayer scenarios that they have seen are the few idiotic blood maps that players play over and over again. I am interested to see what SSSI’s innovation will yield. Will we start to see the emergence of smart scenarios online, or blood scenarios continue to rule the day?

Discuss.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 08-08-2005 @ 06:08 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-06-05 11:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
I don't think we will see the emergence of smart scenarios online, to answer your last question.
The problem is that, even though it will almost certainly be easier to create smarter scenarios with random elements and more interesting objectives, it will still be harder to do this than to place down a mass of units which are destined to pointlessly attack a wall whilst a similar number of defence-units will kill them.

People online seem to love simple maps. As hard as I and other people have tried in the past to make the better, high rated scenarios, catch on, it has always been a futile endeavour.

As far as I can tell, the vast majority of the multiplayer scenario-playing mass wants the most simple, yet most fun, experience. It appears that they do not find opening cinematics instantly rewarding. Nor do they find scenarios where they actually need to use skill, cunning - strategy and tactics. These people prefer just 'messing around' with some random people on maps which take little effort.
I don't understand it exactly, but they appear to find the most simple scenarios the most fun because they are rewarding for little effort.

The vast majority of bloods take little intelligence to do well at. You work towards nothing - your units are instantly spawned en masse and you have the simple objective of moving them towards the middle of the map. Once there, you gain instant gratification in the form of a large amount of quick kills, for which, in most bloods, you gain rewards in the form of stronger troops.

Instant gratification is what most people saerch for. Unfortunately, they do not want to work in a scenario. Apparently, they do enough of that when playing standard 'random maps'.

My most recent idea for a multiplayer scenario was to base the scenario on a real historical event, such as a battle (or something), but make the scenario playable from 1-(4-8) players.
The way this will work is that you can play this as a one player, or with friends.
If you play the scenario with other humans, they will be required to type a simple chat message (such as 'IN') within the first 20-or-so seconds, and then all the triggers that control that player, and essentially, the AI for that player, will be deactivated. The player who said 'IN' will then be given their objective and the player will be playable with a human.

If you play it as a one-player, you will be given your objective and such like, but all the other players will be controlled by AI, with a vast variety of random things and complicated objectives that the AI accomplishes. It will be fairly simple to accomplish, and I think it will be a good idea. The scenario will be playable with any number of players, as, any player that is not human will simply use their AI.

posted 08-06-05 04:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
I think SSSI is inviting MP scenario designers to play and enjoy the game, and I think they are going to provide 'base maps' that are incredible to begin with, which, when randomized by a designer/host can make for a remarkably rich envrironment in MP.

It is a different approach, and from a purely MP/balance perspective, I think it raises some questions, but I think most of those can be overcome by simply saying, it's a game.

posted 08-06-05 05:54 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
The way I see it the lack of a random map script can mean one of three things.

1. Increase amount of people using the editor and creating more idiotic MP blood style games.
2. People not wanting to take the time to learn the editor so MP play will consist of the same static maps being played over and over again, therefore killing MP play altogether.
3. An increase in editor use and quality MP scenarios produced for the online community.

MP scenarios when the experts players left Empires is what saved the online community there IMO. Even though the majority of the scenarios were not very creative and were just random map script or seeded maps put together in a couple of hours, people seemed to like them. So what is a veteran designer like Intrepid to do? It's hard to say. Designers are like artist, or should I say they are artists. And just like most art the work put in is not always appreciated by the public. My suggestion is to start MP design again since this is a new game and a fresh start that will attract possibly a different more seasoned crowd.

One question for me is I am only familiar with the scenario's created for Empires. Is the same type of poorly constructed MP scn's created for the Age series as well? Have highly rated MP scenario's been received well by that online communtity?

posted 08-06-05 07:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
I am hoping that experts will start to make use of the editor to design maps that fit their playing style. In previous SSSI releases random map scripting was too hard for expert players to design their own maps. The complete lack of support for custom random maps online also made their distribution rather difficult. Since the editor for Rise and Fall is built off the Empires editor, I know from first hand experience that it is entirely possible to create a good map that is completely devoid of triggers.
posted 08-06-05 08:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  

Quote:

One question for me is I am only familiar with the scenario's created for Empires. Is the same type of poorly constructed MP scn's created for the Age series as well? Have highly rated MP scenario's been received well by that online communtity?

The Communities on HG received highly rated MP scenarios well (as you could imagine ), but online, the poorly constructed simple maps run free.

I don't think people will make the most of the RMS-features to the scenario editor. This is mainly because I see these features as being similar to the Quest Variables in AOM:TT, where you could randomise QV's, and essentially randomise absolutely anything you want.
Naturally, it will not be exactly the same, because constructing a random map in such a way will be time consuming, and I hope SSS have come up with something better.Probably something similar to RMSing itself where you can define how far away you want trees to be randomly placed around a town center, and the game will automatically choose the spots (as long as they are, for example, 70 metres from player one's town center).

I had zero doubts that the internet community (HG... etc) will take to the random features of the RAF editor brilliantly.

posted 08-07-05 11:25 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
I think one problem is that the majority of people you play online, you don't know, and haven't organised anything. I find large, complex multiplayer scenarios to be fun, but quick "blood-battles" can be enjoyable as well.

The problem arises when people go online for a quick game, and can't be bothered to read, or learn the rules for a particular scenario. They may be scared away by the possibility that they will do something wrong. This stops people playing more complex scenarios that have themes and a variety of things to do.

In RTW, we often have themed matches with set rules for given units so as to create a certain battle situation. Its easy to set up with other HG members, as you can arrange it on the forums, and other forum members normally have time to talk and arrange a given game in the game lobby. But try and set up a themed or ruled game on your own, and it will take a long time to get the game to fill up, and when it does, about fifty percent of the people don't adere to a given scenario, and spoil it for everyone else. Although instances like this in RTW differ from in Age or EE games, the principle is the same.

I have to say unfortunatly that I agree with the statement that a lot people who play MP are getting away from any "complexitys" of the single player game. If I play an online RTS, I would rather play it like single player mode, but against a much more able opponent. Whether or not other people want an able opponent or not dosen't seem to matter, as they seem to play RTS games solely for the battles, and miss out on the strategies, tactics, economics, and other intricacies that make RTSs what they are for me. Its like playing Chess and just charging across the board.

I think that one of the best to get the community at large playing more complex maps is to make sure they are out there. Rather than having 5 rated maps sit on the download database, we should promote them, and play them as often as possible. If a lot of HG members can play online and play these maps, then they will be put out into the community. Maybe the fact that a lot of people don't want to play them leaves others unnawares of their existence. All we have to do is get several maps out their, and gain a following, then people should come here and download other maps without us having to do anything, thus increasing the number of complex and niteresting MP scenarios.

Unfortunatly, given the current online community, this is much easier said then done. I feel that if you want to play a game like RaF just for the fighting, you would be better of going and playing Counterstrike instead.

house won this
posted 08-07-05 03:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Summarised:-

nOObs ruin it for everyone else, but there are more nOObs out there than competant players, so we as competant players are doomed to conform to nOOb rules.

POSTER NUMBER ONE IN HOLY ROMAN PARTY XV
"Live forever, or die trying!"
TWH Baths Forumer of the Month - November 06
posted 08-07-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
I'm not exactly correlating how the elimination of RMS will enhance the availability of map types from the scenario editor. Even with RMS, one can always go in the editor and create their own desired map, and have it loaded when hosting. I do not like the sound of the possibility of having preset maps for MP. The average gamer isn't interested in reading a 200 page manual before he/she can learn how to create a cool MP map. They want to just pick a map type and be done with it...trusting that it will be somewhat different everytime.

But this is my question: Preset maps = endless maps from editor? How so? Even if there is RMS, and you want a unique map, the editor is still available for you to create your own map that isn't RMS. So what is the problem that RMS poses?

And where did you obtain this information Intrepid? Have you heard that this is what SSSi has already done? or are still going to do?

We mustn't forget that Random Map Scripts were revolutionary for the RTS genre, and removing them is stepping back more than 10 years in game development.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 08-07-2005 @ 10:06 PM).]

posted 08-07-05 10:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Random maps are not necessarily always a postive step for RTS games. Warcraft/Starcraft never had a random map, and I believe they easily made more money than anyone else.

I haven't been following this game as feverishly as I did with their last two so I'm guessitimating here together with my prior experience.

How and when exactly did SSS say they're not using RMS? And I don't see the difference if they didn't use random map scripts and used the editor somehow to randomly make maps.. It's still a random map, how does it change anything? Unless they've switched to only pre-set maps but that doesn't sound like what you said. From my experience, scenarios are always a side-issue with RTS developers, and I'm finding it extremely hard to believe they made an editor that is as good as you make it seem.

If you want to test MP scenarios at their best, you should try playing Starcraft online. They can be simple on the surface, but filled with ridculous depth and strategy.

We used to have a ton of discussions on MP scenarios. Really, I really don't think they'll ever catch on past a niche crowd. And it takes a very popular MP game to have a decent size niche crowd. Honestly, no one wants anything complex when it comes to multiplayer. The best multiplayer games (PC, card game, board game, etc) are ones that are basic and easy to play/learn but very hard to master. For example, poker is a game you can pickup within minutes, but it can take forever to be any good at it. Same with Monopoly, AOK Blood, and other games.

Trying to make a complex MP scenario requires a large population willing to take the time to learn all the rules. It also requires a larger effort on the part of the designer to make the game balanced yet diverse. If the author of the map can beat others easily then the game is neither diverse nor balanced.

There's a reason why all the MMORPG games suck and are very basic compared to their console/board/PC single player brothers. A person by himself can go explore a map or story for a hour, but that just doesn't work in a MP setting.

Grex, Imhotep, Jaded Knights, Punks, University, Glows, Facility, Trade Center, Stainless Steel Studios.

Former Seraph & Angel
My Twitter, i.e. don't bother
Learning Korean Language
Free Rice

[This message has been edited by Angel Park (edited 08-07-2005 @ 10:29 PM).]

posted 08-07-05 10:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  

Quoted from http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/609/609821p2.html:

Jonric: How will multiplayer work? How many simultaneous players will the game support, and do you have any features that are new or otherwise notable?

Rick Goodman: The maximum number of players is eight, which is the same as our previous games. For the multiplayer modes in Rise & Fall, we're really doing something different this time. All of our skirmish maps are integrated directly into our scenario editor, so when we create a map, we can do all these amazing things in terms of creating totally unique game modes.

For example, we can add volcanoes or neutral armies and totally change the dynamic of how the game will unfold. It's going to bring a tremendous amount of excitement to multiplayer, especially since mod makers will be able to do all the things that our map designers do.

And it's very easy to access all of those cool features. When you jump into a multiplayer game, the host has a check box that lets him turn off all of that stuff if you want to play on a vanilla multiplayer map. Or the host can engage it, and you'll have this crazy new map mode.

We're also letting people export the scripts they create so they can apply them to any of the maps. So, we're pretty much unlimited in terms of the number of game types we can have.

According to this interview, all of the maps that will ship with Rise and Fall will be developed in the editor, or at least in conjunction with the scenario editor. I suppose I have taken a leap of imagination in assuming that there will be new features help randomize maps, but this interview seems to state that it will entirely possible to construct a map within the editor and then add random elements to it when hosting the map. Random Map Scripting has always been out of the grasp of all but a few RTS enthusiasts. With the system SSSI is employing it sounds as if you will be able to create a map in the editor that has the random features of random map script.

Speculation: I am very excited as this means that the average person will be able to create simple standard maps in the editor with random features. This is something that the RTS community has been clamoring for since Aok; the ability to construct random maps in the editor without having to learn programming.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid (edited 08-08-2005 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 08-07-05 10:32 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
I'm all for great features, but I'll take Devil's Advocate and point out Rick only mentioned adding objects really. Volcanos and neutral armies. It's a big leap and difference from adding a few random objects to a balanced map to creating entire new map modes aka the terrain/trees/water/land masses/etc.

I hope, but I don't expect.

Grex, Imhotep, Jaded Knights, Punks, University, Glows, Facility, Trade Center, Stainless Steel Studios.

Former Seraph & Angel
My Twitter, i.e. don't bother
Learning Korean Language
Free Rice
posted 08-07-05 10:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Perhaps I am letting my hopes get the best of me. Though if this feature was just relegated to adding simple objects, it would hardly be different and it certainly would not require maps to be integrated directly with the scenario editor.
posted 08-08-05 11:21 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Hmm, it would be difficult to create random water bodies, elevations and terrains within the editor (with triggers). It's certainly impossible with other RTS editor's I've played, to edit such things with triggers.

posted 08-08-05 03:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Creating maps and creating scenario's are two different things. I was on Empires the other day and some kid says he created a great new scenario. So I join and ask him what it is about. He replies "that it is a large map with water and trees and lots of resources". So I said any triggers, effects what do you have to do? His response was that he didnt have time for any complicated trigger work and that he put the map together in a couple of hours. He said it was basically a standard map just better. Is this what players are calling scn's? The same problem will persist in R&F, because people dont want to take the time to learn the editor and see how much fun it can be.
posted 08-08-05 04:38 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  

Quote:

Creating maps and creating scenario's are two different things. I was on Empires the other day and some kid says he created a great new scenario. So I join and ask him what it is about. He replies "that it is a large map with water and trees and lots of resources". So I said any triggers, effects what do you have to do? His response was that he didnt have time for any complicated trigger work and that he put the map together in a couple of hours. He said it was basically a standard map just better. Is this what players are calling scn's? The same problem will persist in R&F, because people dont want to take the time to learn the editor and see how much fun it can be.

I do not really consider this to be a problem. I have no qualms with people who try to design interesting maps while keeping to the basics of a standard map. In fact this is how I started designing in AoK, making maps that had interesting designs while keeping to the conventions of a standard map. The players in my multiplayer maps would always start with a town center, three villagers, a scout, and the proper resources amounts (The standard AoK start. Some people are only comfortable playing a game the way the developers designed it. If people want to design simple maps that stick to the conventions of standard play, I say go ahead.

posted 08-08-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
The question is, just how easy would it be for a player to go in the editor and create his own map? If it requires no more than a few buttons, then I'm all for it. If it requires the player to have to manually paint their own maps, and allocate resources, trees, etc., then I say it is a big mistake, and could potentially contribute to the games' undoing.

~Lysimachus - Former HG Angel for Rise & Fall Heaven || Was RaFH Game Info Admin || Proud Member of HG since 1998

[This message has been edited by Lysimachus (edited 08-08-2005 @ 05:47 PM).]

posted 08-08-05 05:50 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Like in most other RTS', you'll very likely be able to simulate already painted maps, with starting units.

Well, maybe because random maps are, in all technicality, scenarios, you won't be able to do this.
You'll still be able to load up the pre-packaged maps and alter them, if only simply, easily enough.

Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » Imhotep’s Blueprints (Scenario Design) » Scenario Design: Multiplayer Scenarios
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames