General Discussions
Moderated by Wok, Chonaman

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Stainless Steel Studios is no more
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 15  Next Page »
posted 11-23-05 08:34 PM EDT (US)   
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings just before the holidays.

I'm actually surprised that no one has posted here yet. I'm guessing an official announcement has not been made yet, but I've maintained my friendship with my co-workers since I left a few months ago and have been in nearly constant contact with them this week.

Since I'm not working there anymore, I don't have all the details, but all of my friends there are now looking for new work.

No word on the future of the game, though I'm sure it'll be released eventually. I certainly hope so, since I put many months worth of work into it and have looked forward to playing the final version.

Bob Scott

Replies:
posted 11-23-05 08:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 356  
hmm

Mokon | | | AoE3 Rate 2200~ | | |
  • To check out my Age of Empires III Strategy Guide click here!
  • The price of my guide has been reduced! Check it out!
  • New TWC Recorded Games Posted on my Media Page!
  • [This message has been edited by Mokon (edited 11-23-2005 @ 09:58 PM).]

posted 11-23-05 09:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 356  
    Since we're unable to prove the [unlikely] validity of this, this thread is closed.

We presume that Stainless' site is merely down, but we've contacted Midway, and are hoping to hear from them soon.

UPDATE: It appears that this Bob Scott is very likely the Bob Scott who worked at Stainless Steel. As that seems to be the case, I'll re-open this thread for discussion.

Adder |
    "I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Adder (edited 11-23-2005 @ 09:52 PM).]

posted 11-23-05 10:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 356  
    Damn! That sure is bad news.

Now we have a game without patch support ..great!

posted 11-23-05 11:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 356  
    Bobs post is correct - and no, I haven't seen any official press release yet.
    posted 11-23-05 11:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 356  
    Wow... just wow, any enlightenment we can get from you guys (as in addition to the expected press release)?

I mean now that you're not SSSI employees...

Adder |
    "I would like to wonder if Adder always acts like a stuck up asshole?" - Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Adder (edited 11-23-2005 @ 11:02 PM).]

posted 11-23-05 11:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 356  
    I don't know the legal ramifications of opening my mouth so I'll just keep it shut until things are revealed to the public.

I honestly don't know if there will be some kind of press release from Midway or not, I'm just saying that I haven't seen anything yet.

ch00ch|
    posted 11-23-05 11:18 PM EDT (US)     7 / 356  
    wow

• posted 11-23-05 11:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 356  
    ex SSSI employees should reform and create another studio

• posted 11-23-05 11:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 356  
    okay...so whats going to become of the game if its cancelled i'll cry :'( and boycott everything sold by midway (muhauhahahahhahahhahahahhahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    posted 11-23-05 11:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 356  
    posted 11-23-05 11:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 356  
    What the fug...

I think I'll just keep on denial.

posted 11-24-05 01:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 356  
    This a huge shame. I can admit that I didn't play Empires, but ever since I played Empire Earth, SSSI was such a fantastic group. Not only did they produce stellar games like EE, and R&F, but unlike almost anyone else, they actually cared about the fans. They cared enough to dump the publishers that didn't let them do what was best for the game and the community. I just hope this isn't a double blow and the game is canceled as well.

To the best, I salute you. And God help you with wherever you take it from here.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin

[This message has been edited by Ace Cataphract (edited 11-24-2005 @ 01:14 AM).]

posted 11-24-05 01:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 356  
    Some sad news indeed.

SSSI had some talented professionals. I'm sure finding work will come swiftly to all you guys. Good luck to you all.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
    r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
    a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
    z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
    e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
    d ependent on daily tea infusions
    posted 11-24-05 01:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 356  
    well i can honestly say i wasnt expecting this when i logged onto this site today!

this sucks.

Well Lois, I tried finding my creativity like you said. First I tried an art class..Am I-Am I supposed to draw the penis? Then I tried sculpting..Am I-Am I supposed to sculpt the penis? Then i tried music..Am I-Am I supposed to conduct with my penis? Then I realised that this is it, Lois, my penis belongs on stage! ---Family Guy
    posted 11-24-05 01:49 AM EDT (US)     15 / 356  
    Wow, and I was so looking forward to RAFH.
    posted 11-24-05 02:23 AM EDT (US)     16 / 356  
    Sad news...the game looked pretty decent to me.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 11-24-2005 @ 02:24 AM).]

posted 11-24-05 02:25 AM EDT (US)     17 / 356  
    Indeed it all sucks..

I feel for Rick Goodman and Dara-Lynn who has put every ounce of heart into this project and all of the people at SSSI working 60 hr weeks to make this a killer game.

posted 11-24-05 04:37 AM EDT (US)     18 / 356  
    You guys have to finish it, because it does look amazing.

I think this has something to do with Empire's poor sales?

posted 11-24-05 04:39 AM EDT (US)     19 / 356  
    This really sucks. Good luck to you guys.

posted 11-24-05 06:01 AM EDT (US)     20 / 356  
    Really... quite shocking. Good luck to you all, and the game.

posted 11-24-05 06:24 AM EDT (US)     21 / 356  
    So, I assume R&F is gone, then?

///scipio_africanus\\\
    "Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
    "I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
    "posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
    The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
    Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
    posted 11-24-05 07:04 AM EDT (US)     22 / 356  
    This is true, SSSI is no more. I can't give details as to why, but I can tell you the product is in excellent shape, the team was in high morale and plowing ahead at full steam, and we were just weeks from gold disk.

When making games, not all factors are under your control. If one of those uncontrolable factors are important to your company and product, and fails you, bad things like this can happen. It's an unfortunante part of life. You can only learn from the experience, hopefully educate others on your experiences, and everyone in the games industry gets stronger as a result.

Still, this is truly a dissapointment. The talent of our team was incredible, the synergy we had, amazing. We would have been a gold-mine pickup for one of the bigger publishers if they wanted a top-notch RTS game company under their wing.. but alas... People are spreading to the wind now, unfortunantly seperating some amazing talent that worked on, what I feel is one of, if not the most, modern RTS Technology in the industry. 7 years, and.. hmm.. something like 70 programming years (man years) put into the product.

If Rise & Fall is released by someone else (its just a few bugs from finishing), you guys will love it! RAF is an RTS evolutionary game, and its a shame we won't be around to write its XPacks and sequels.

I think the biggest loss here is the fans who love RTS. The death of our AAA RTS company means 1 less team driving to increase the industry's limits. It means 7 years of technology and the team who knew it like the back of their hand, put on the shelf.

I feel bad for you guys. :-(

As for me, I'm not sure which direction I'll go yet, but I'll let you guys know in a week or so where I'm heading off to.

Daniel Higgins
    Game AI Programmer on:
    Empire Earth, Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
    Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War
    Owner of Lunchtime Studios, LLC (lunchtimestudios.com)
    Creator of Lords of New York (lordsofnewyork.com)
    posted 11-24-05 07:39 AM EDT (US)     23 / 356  
    This is a sad news, indeed.

I haven't, admittedly, played any earlier SSSI games. But RaF seemed to be the one of the best RTS games that ever would hit the shelves. This is one of the few games I would not consider buying right after its release, simply due to the fact that I would be totally engrossed in it and thus fail my exams.

The game looks awesome, I really hope you'll find a new publisher!

Best of luck to all SSSI employees,

Susanne

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
    AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
    "Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
    "GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
    posted 11-24-05 08:45 AM EDT (US)     24 / 356  
    I have played all but the newest of SSSI's games. It is such sad news.

The Place used to beat the hell out of Heaven
    Aside from me, Brad is the coolest Christian on the forum.-fett
    PCD reward for running with the lowest system resourses
    See a shrink, freak.-MeatloafX
    Man.. seek help-Izzy
    posted 11-24-05 08:57 AM EDT (US)     25 / 356  

Quote:

This is true, SSSI is no more. I can't give details as to why, but I can tell you the product is in excellent shape, the team was in high morale and plowing ahead at full steam, and we were just weeks from gold disk.

I hate to break up the party so to speak, but this might as well be a guarantee of no multiplayer support... we shall see I guess. The game looks superb, but there's no telling what might happen.

Anyway, good luck to all of you.

Adder |
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 15  Next Page »
    Rise and Fall Heaven » Forums » General Discussions » Stainless Steel Studios is no more
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Rise and Fall Heaven | HeavenGames