Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to add new graphics.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-14-05 03:57 PM EDT (US)   
There are two steps to adding graphics to the game, add .slps(graphics) to the graphics_x1.drs(compilation of .slps), and make the genie_x1.dat recognize those new pictures.

Diagram 1................................................................Diagram 2

1. Open the original DRS utility by Ykkrosh, this should be placed in your game\data folder of SWGB, and select "Extract files from DRS."(See Diagram 1 & 2)Find graphics_x1.drs, found in your game\data\ folder, and select. This will create a new folder games\data\graphics_x1\, this will contain all .slps in the file, and a .drx file.

2. Now find a graphic .slp you want to use, and place it in the newly created folder graphics_x1/. I'll use Boba Fett's standing frames for example, it is .slp 1717. You need to copy it, and rename it the next number after the last graphic in the graphic_x1.drs. Should be 4689, so we'll rename it 4690.

3. Open graphic_x1.drx, found in that new directory, with notepad. Go to the bottom of the list, and make an entry for 4690.slp(do not press enter, or create a blank line at the bottom of this file, it will create problems when you rebuild the DRS.) just save it, close it out.

Diagram 3

4. Go back into the original DRS program, and select "Create DRS from files", select Graphics_x1.drx(see diagram 1 & 3) and wait for it finish. Use DRS 2 utility to check to see if your new graphic is in the graphics_x1.drs, if so you have successfully added a new .slp. FIRST STEP COMPLETE!!!

5. Now we need to use Genied to make the game recognize your new graphic. If you notice in the civ*units.txt file Boba Fetts graphic_default: is 6175. Open the file, graphics_units.txt, and look up 6175, you'll see this....

graphic_6175_name1: UNIT-LGBNT-FET
graphic_6175_name2: LEBOBAFETTF
graphic_6175_slp: 1717
graphic_6175_unknown01: 00 00 00 01 12 ff ff 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
graphic_6175_delta_count: 0
graphic_6175_sound: -1
graphic_6175_extras: 0
graphic_6175_numframes: 8
graphic_6175_angles: 8
graphic_6175_unknown02: 0 0.25 1
graphic_6175_unknown03: 7
graphic_6175_id: 6175
graphic_6175_type: 6

Copy this to your patches file.

6. Change 6175 to the next graphic slot available 10611.

7. Change 10611_slp: 1717 to 4690(your new .slp)

8. Find these lines in the Graphics_header.txt file, and paste in your patches file....

graphic_count: 10611
graphic_header_pointers_6175: 559081624

Change 6175 to 10611, and add 1 to the graphic count.

9. Find this line in the civ*units.txt, and add to your patches....

civ_7_unit_1317_graphic_default: 6175

Change the 6175 to 10611, this should make Boba use the new graphic slot you just created. Note "civ_7_unit_1317" means that you are only changing civ_7's boba fett, to make the changes for all civs you must have that line for all civs.

10. Create a New Genie with Genied, and your new graphic should be the standing frames for Boba Fett.

You must now do this for the Attacking, Dying, Walking, and Decaying frames.

"Wipe them out, all of them!"
"I must obey my master!"
"At last,we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge!"

SidiousInvader@msn.com----Instant Message

[This message has been edited by Sidious Invader (edited 12-20-2005 @ 04:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-14-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 49  
Good work Sid. Your genie stuff over the last week or so have been very handy.
posted 12-14-05 04:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 49  
Good going sid! Very impressed. However, you still need to add HCN to your signiture!

Senro - HardCore Networks
posted 12-14-05 05:17 PM EDT (US)     3 / 49  
This is great! Now I can add units with new graphics for my New Unique Units! THANK YOU SIDIOUS INVADER!

Sierra Wolf
posted 12-14-05 06:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 49  
Where is the new directory that the graphics_x1.txt is located in?

Sierra Wolf
posted 12-14-05 06:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 49  
Glad you're a better teacher than me. I could have never taught this. I can do, not teach...

Sarthos |Sovereign of Syrup
Uber_Mod_Project | Military Dictator of Modpack Discussion
Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
Pfft. We all know Merai is so liberal that he uses his left hand. :p - Moff
Lady Gaga is a genius, actually - Crazed Ewok
posted 12-15-05 01:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 49  
Isn't there a saying like "Those who can't teach, do. Those who can't do, LISTEN UP."

Well those who can teach and can do, proof-read. Sidious, can you except mail at your msn address? I have some suggestions for your topic post if you're open to them.

Also, I'm a bit confused about some of the steps. Maybe I'm using a different drs extractor. As far as I can find theres only one.

You mention extracting files from the drs before selecting graphics_x1 and it creating a new folder. I don't see a way to do that. Also it contains all slps and a drx file? SLX maybe? You also mention a file called graphics_x1.txt that's found in the new directory. I'm not following you on this one. Like I said before maybe I have a different drs extractor but its the only one listed by ykkrosh in the download section. A little elaboration here would be great, Thanks.

[This message has been edited by DvL (edited 12-15-2005 @ 02:05 PM).]

posted 12-15-05 05:26 PM EDT (US)     7 / 49  
Yeah, I have the same problem as DvL. I can't find the graphics_x1.txt

Sierra Wolf
posted 12-15-05 06:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 49  
The DRS most people use is actually the second version Ykkrosh made, the Original DRS is needed to add .slps to the .drs file. If you look at my thread "SI's Unknowns guide" I posted a link to a compilation of all the modding tools, which includes the Original DRS extractor. Sorry for not making it clear, after downloading it and opening it, these steps will be a lot clearer.

Working with the Original DRS, is similar to the mod editor, which allows you to make a .slx file out of a .slp. You can edit the .slx file to add frames to .slp, same thing with the .drx file, it allows you to add .slps to the .drs.

Hope this helps!!

"I must obey my master!"

[This message has been edited by Sidious Invader (edited 12-15-2005 @ 07:10 PM).]

posted 12-15-05 08:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 49  
Ok, thanks for clarifying that. This will help a lot!!!

Sierra Wolf
posted 12-15-05 08:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 49  
Added screens that may help a little!

"I must obey my master!"

posted 12-15-05 08:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 49  
Sidious, I tried sending you a message over msn, did you get it?
posted 12-16-05 11:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 49  
Ok, now it makes way more sense. I'll have to give that one a shot.
posted 12-19-05 03:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 49  
I can't find Graphics_x1.txt in the Game/Data/Graphics_x1/ folder.

JOAB ()
posted 12-20-05 04:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 49  
Sorry, I changed step 3, instead of open "graphics_x1.txt" it should have read "graphics_x1.drx."

This file should be in the directory that was created when you "Extract Files from DRS."

"I must obey my master!"

posted 01-04-06 05:24 PM EDT (US)     15 / 49  
Im having some real problems SI.
Theres a modpack im working on, and i want to add new graphics instead of replacing, as i want the mod to be as usefull as possible.
This is the modpack i am doing it for.

I got to stage 4 on your guide where i replace the graphics_x1 however when i open the drs viewer i get, at first this error, followed by this one if i choose "ok".

So, I was wandering if you had any ideas what was going wrong ? =/

Or alternatively could someone this for me, to make my modpack 'add' graphics 'instead' of replace. I realise this is asking for a lot of someones time but it would be greatly appreciated, and of course, you would be credited.
If someone would like to help me you can get in touch with me over msn or via email my address is 'alwalker15@hotmail.com'.

[This message has been edited by ThePunkGuy (edited 01-04-2006 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 01-04-06 06:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 49  
TPG, Sorry I just installed a new graphic card, and it's not allowing me to see what is on your links. I don't know what errors you are having, but if you try building a new .drs file while the game is running it will not work.

I re-read your post, you are having problems with the program?
I haven't had any problems so I couldn't help you around them.

"I must obey my master!"

posted 01-05-06 10:30 AM EDT (US)     17 / 49  
Oops, i did the link wrong, anyways, the error it was just said "invalid file type, may cause horrible errors, continue?" or something along those lines.
But like i said before, is it possible if anyone could add the graphics for me =/?
posted 01-10-06 02:39 PM EDT (US)     18 / 49  
Nevermind, I found out myself.

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====

[This message has been edited by lordbodin99 (edited 01-11-2006 @ 03:58 AM).]

posted 02-05-06 05:42 AM EDT (US)     19 / 49  
Is it possible to add sounds to a new unit?
posted 02-05-06 08:25 AM EDT (US)     20 / 49  
ive just finished step 4, but dont understand step 5.
I cant find these files
civ*units.txt
graphics_units.txt

Do you need to go into genie ed or something, it isnt very clear at all. I think some screens need to be put up.

EDIT:dont worry, ive figured it out

/\
/
__\
/____\
/
._\../._\
/___\/___\

Power Wisdom Courage

[This message has been edited by Bluetuft (edited 02-05-2006 @ 09:46 AM).]

posted 02-05-06 03:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 49  
ive created a new unit, that mimics Confederacy Supply Crates correctly. Ive tried changing the graphics, but it still stays as the Supply Crates image.
here is my patch

EDIT- Found out what the mistake was, so have taken the patch code away so u dont have to scroll down

/\
/
__\
/____\
/
._\../._\
/___\/___\

Power Wisdom Courage

[This message has been edited by Bluetuft (edited 02-08-2006 @ 11:36 AM).]

posted 02-05-06 04:00 PM EDT (US)     22 / 49  
I'm trying to add a new building but genied is not working for me - I can't open the text or patch files. Help!
posted 02-05-06 05:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 49  
Bluetuft, I have no idea about why the graphics aren't working, but I don't see the unit_count: by itself (without a civ specified).

And, Sidious Invader, is there a...less buggy version of the DRS? Because I have tried lots of times to get this to work, but it always becomes nonresponsive when I try to extract .

Sierra Wolf

[This message has been edited by Rossk (edited 02-05-2006 @ 05:18 PM).]

posted 02-05-06 05:21 PM EDT (US)     24 / 49  
Ahhh. now i know those options don't work *slaps forehead*

It refuses to create a new genie though. It's all very confusing. How does the patch file fit into it -I've read all the guides I can.

posted 02-06-06 01:11 AM EDT (US)     25 / 49  
Bluetuft, Rossk is right, it appears the only unknown that I can see you are missing is the master unit count in the units.txt file(its the very first line.) Add that to your patches and it should work.

Omri, post your patches, and I'll see if I can find your problem.

Rossk, that what we have to work with right now, I have'nt had any problems with it, I am currently working on possibly creating a new modding program that makes it "all in one."

SI's Mod Patch Generator Civ*unit Guide How to add new graphics Exploring the civ header Units.txt guide How to add a new unit

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!" Darth Maul.
"All to easy!" Darth Vader.
"Wipe them out, all of them!" Darth Sidious.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » How to add new graphics.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames