You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: SI's Guide :: More unique units (cannon trick)!
posted 02-21-06 03:40 PM EDT (US)   
While back I was able to add a new unit that was able to switch abilities(like the cannon). I wanted to make a Hero use a lightsaber for one attack, hit the deploy button, he would then use a blaster. I finished it, but never released it. There have been several requests about how to do this so here it is.

You will be able to many things if you learn this.
The cannon is actually two different units, when you press the deploy button it changes to the next unit.
I was able to make a unit have many different abilities. Hero with lightsaber, blaster, grenades, and jetpack. For each attribute you would press the deploy button, and he switches to the next ability. You can link as many units together as you want.

EXAMPLE:
Unit 1596: Luke with blaster, changes to(unknown36_11: -1 1597 -1 -1)
Unit 1597: Luke with Lightsaber, changes to (unknown36_11: -1 1598 -1 -1)
Unit 1598: Luke with Grenades, changes to (unknown36_11: -1 1599 -1 -1)
Unit 1599: Luke with Jetpack, change back to 1596(unknown36_11: -1 1596 -1 -1)

Ok, this is the basics:

1. Copy the Republic deployed cannon(1537) stats from the civ*units.txt file, and place in your patches file. YOU MUST COPY IT TO EVERY CIV 0-8.

2. Change the unit ids from 1537 to 1596(or the next unit id available if you already added any new units.)FOR NOW I'LL ASSUME THAT YOU ADDED NO NEW UNITS AND SAY 1596. The easy way to do this is to the 'edit' button in notepad, and 'replace' 1537 with 1596.

3. Now copy the deployed cannon stats from civ*units.txt, again, but change the id's to 1597.

4. Copy the unit header for unit 1537 found in the civ*head.txt file, and place in your patches. Change the id to match the id's you used above. Do this for each new unit 1596 & 1597. YOU MUST COPY IT TO EVERY CIV 0-8.

5. Now in your patches file, look for unknown 36_11, and change the 2nd value(1531) to 1597 for unit 1596, and change the (1531) to 1596 for unit 1597. Read carefully!!! This is the unit it will change to when you hit the deploy button.

6. Now open the unit.txt file(commonly known as the master units file), and find the stats for unit 1537. Copy them to your patches twice, one for each new unit 1596 & 1597. This hold the ability to attack for the cannon.

7. Now all you need is the unit counters. Look in the civ*head file, and copy the unit count line to your patches, then change to reflect the proper unit count...

civ_0_unit_count: 1596
civ_1_unit_count: 1596
civ_2_unit_count: 1596
civ_3_unit_count: 1596
civ_4_unit_count: 1596
civ_5_unit_count: 1596
civ_6_unit_count: 1596
civ_7_unit_count: 1596
civ_8_unit_count: 1596

If you notice before we started that the last unit in the game is 1595, the count above is 1596. This is because the counters all start with 0. EX: unit 0, 1, 2 = three units.

8. Next we need the master unit count, look in the units.txt file, copy to your patches then change the count...

unit_count: 1596

9. If you change the following for each of your new units the deploy time is reduced to seconds.

civ_0_unit_1537_unknown21: 18 4.5 change to
civ_0_unit_1537_unknown21: 150 50(I'm can't remember the second number(50), you will have to experiement.)

10. This is where I leave you with two new units. The rest I leave up to you to change these units to reflect the characteristics the way you want them.

Please read my guide about Genied, on the following link, prior to asking questions. Most questions on how to do some thing HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED in these threads. They include a link to a download of all the modding tools, and an updated Unknowns guide.
http://swgb.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,8307,,all

SI's Mod Patch Generator Civ*unit Guide How to add new graphics Exploring the civ header Units.txt guide How to add a new unit

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!" Darth Maul.
"All to easy!" Darth Vader.
"Wipe them out, all of them!" Darth Sidious.

[This message has been edited by Sidious Invader2 (edited 02-21-2006 @ 03:46 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-21-06 04:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
All of the stats for cannons are the same as the stats for buildings, right?

Sarthos |Sovereign of Syrup
Uber_Mod_Project | Military Dictator of Modpack Discussion
Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
Pfft. We all know Merai is so liberal that he uses his left hand. :p - Moff
Lady Gaga is a genius, actually - Crazed Ewok
posted 02-21-06 04:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Right, the cannon is classed as a building, go figure!

SI's Mod Patch Generator Civ*unit Guide How to add new graphics Exploring the civ header Units.txt guide How to add a new unit

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge!" Darth Maul.

posted 02-21-06 05:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
Thank goodness. Someone heard my cries.

SilverSaber_Yoda
Currently Working On
STAR WARS SITH
RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION PHOENIX
posted 02-21-06 05:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Thats fantastic. I never thought about the linking more than two units thing.
posted 02-21-06 06:40 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
I did. I considered it for the Halo mod, allowing the SPARTAN units to switch between SMG for rapid-fire close range, Battle Rifle for slow-fire long range, and rocket launcher for anti-armour/air.

Hm. The Deployed Cannon, I can understand having attributes of a building...I think it's considered a building...but the undeployed Cannon?

Question: Would it be possible for the Cannon(building portion of the transformation) to produce units? I'm thinkin' mobile command base.

One bright day, in the middle of the night, two dead boys stood up to fight. Back to back, they faced each other. Drew their swords, and shot each other. The deaf policeman heard the sound, and put those boys back in the ground. If you don't believe this lie is true, ask Harry the blind man, he saw it, too.
http://www.freewebs.com/starhalo/index.htm
posted 02-21-06 07:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
I'd imagine some Marines and armor (tanks and hogs) going down a road on earth with a mobile base shooting covies along the way. Good idea for the halo mod.

SEV12
Fate Of The Republic
FOTR Weapon Gaia Mod
Kote-Ures-Trattok'a
Glory-Without-Fail
For Mandalore!
posted 02-21-06 07:54 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
where are the stats for editing buildings? I can't find the projectile ID for cannons...or a few other things.

Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
posted 02-21-06 08:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
Sarthos, They are the 29_** numbers for buildings.
They are in my thread: SI's Unknown guide:

civ_7_unit_1537_unknown29_01: -1
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown29_02: 16 0 10 range, attack reload 1
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown29_03: 371 anti-air projectile
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown29_04: 15 percent it hits target
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_01: 0 6 0 0
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_02: 0.35 3.05 minimum range, misses by how much
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_03: 1
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_04: 4 0.2
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_06: 9069 1 200
civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_07: 16 10 line of sight, attack reload 2

There are a few others in my guide.

posted 02-21-06 09:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
when I looked at the anti-trooper attack for cannons, it was set to 1. That's not the projectile number, is it?

posted 02-22-06 01:24 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
Yeah, I added a cannon unit, but that was one of the only things nobody could figure out, the projectile. Also, what unknown is the graphics of the transfer (going from one unit to the next)?

Sierra Wolf
posted 02-22-06 07:22 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
29_03 is the anti air for sure

civ_7_unit_1537_unknown33_18: 150 9804,

9804 is the deploying/undeploying graphic.

posted 02-22-06 02:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Ok, thanks. But what about the projectile (against ground units)? Also, another problem I keep having is, even though I have the attack graphics switched, it uses the gungan cannon's attack graphics. Does this have anything to do with the projectile?

Sierra Wolf
posted 02-22-06 04:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
Ok, I need to clarify this....
The fortress has two attacks, an anti-air missle, and anti-troop. 29_03 is proj. 746, and 33_16 is also proj. 746.

When the command center has a garrison inside of it, it has this projectile....54.

civ_7_unit_109_unknown33_16: 54 -1

Now the cannon has it's projectile in 29_03, with a -1 in the 33_16 slot, so it is different for each unit class.

I think I tried to make the cannon support unit creation, but it did not work, even though it was classified a building.

posted 02-22-06 04:24 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
SI, get on MSN. I have an idea about cannons.

posted 02-22-06 05:05 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
I'm on...where are you?

posted 02-22-06 08:17 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
I don't have DSL

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » SI's Guide :: More unique units (cannon trick)!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames