Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: <_>_***%::: The Microscopic Map Contest :::%***_<_>
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 22  Next Page »
posted 07-03-08 12:34 PM ET (US)   
Welcome, one and all, to the Incredible Microscopic Map Contest! This is just a small, relatively casual way of celebrating AoEH's 11th Anniversary. The idea is to make a scenario (or campaign, if you're up to it) on a Microscopic map size. But enough talking! LET'S GET TO THE RULES!

-Your map or series of maps MUST be Microscopic size. If you don't have a Microscopic map template, you can find it here:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2097(thanks MrCheeze!)

-Your map will be judged on the standard scenario review guidelines.

-You ARE allowed to make multiplayer maps, but there can only be up to 4 human players.

-The map with the highest score will recieve a prize so amazing and unique that I haven't even thought of it yet!

-You ARE allowed to make either one scenario or a series of scenarios linked together by a main theme(a campaign). You will not be given bonus points for having a multi-part scenario, as a campaign isn't counted as multiple scenarios, but as one product. Entries will always be judged by quality, not quanity.

-You only get one (1) entry.

-The deadline for submitting your scenarios is August 11. The judges will have finished playing them by August 18.

-When you are finished, mail your entry to our mod The Dark Archer. His e-mail is in his profile. IMPORTANT: Please wait until the results thread is created to submit your file to the Granary. Then, go ahead.

-Be creative, and try to make your map fun and challenging as well. Try to use an idea that hasn't been seen before.

The judges are:

-Fruktfisk
-BBalazs
-Nacht Jager

Judges, you can rate the maps whenever you get them. Please be fair in judging and spend some time playing the maps. Don't just play for five minutes and slap down a 5 because it was playable. Once you recieve the scenarios from TDA, rate em and send the ratings back to TDA. He'll put them in a results thread bu the judging deadline.

So, this contest is now OPEN! Start designing, and have fun!

<Entrants>
-Alakazam
-Nezon
-Tailspray
-IICDO
-Jimmy2
-MrCheeze
-Suppiluliuma
-zapdotep
-Helelix

◓◓◓◓◓

[This message has been edited by Jimmy2 (edited 08-12-2008 @ 01:31 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-26-08 04:46 PM ET (US)     201 / 549  
My sister has agreed not to demand PonyIsland, luckily for me she wants my to win. (???)

I will see if I can get AoE on this computer until we fix the other.

Wow it's pouring the rain outside, I hope we don't lose power again.

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro
Voted AoEH's Most Helpful Forumer 2009!

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble
posted 07-26-08 05:17 PM ET (US)     202 / 549  
Wow, lucky break. Where do you live, that it rains so hard so often?

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 07-26-08 05:27 PM ET (US)     203 / 549  
Southeast, it hardly ever rains and we are in the middle of a drought, and our subdivision almost never gets hit whenever a storm does come our way. It will be raining hard a half mile in any direction and we won't get a drop. Something breaks the storms so that they pass around us. But whenever a storm breaks through this mystical barrier, it's a real doozy. It also begins storming and thundering every time I get in the pool...

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble

[This message has been edited by TailSpray (edited 07-26-2008 @ 05:33 PM).]

posted 07-27-08 04:03 AM ET (US)     204 / 549  
@...IICDO? A puzzle/B&D... that's a rare combination, will be nice to see such an entry!

@TS You Should be happy if it rains in he middle of a drought!!

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 07-27-08 08:20 AM ET (US)     205 / 549  
Mine is also a puzzle, and its not even close to finished yet !

My Projects:
|Bushido - Way of the Warrior|Assassins of Greece|

Ikeda coming soon !
posted 07-27-08 02:38 PM ET (US)     206 / 549  
Mine's the puzzle/B+D one.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 07-27-08 02:51 PM ET (US)     207 / 549  
I am not available (not even -near- a PC) from the 15th 'til the 23rd, which means I will have to get everything done beforewards, or my judging will be a couple days late.

So when am I expected to get the first pieces of work?
posted 07-27-08 09:06 PM ET (US)     208 / 549  
If everything works out, you'll have ALL the entries by August 11. This is if TDA recieves all entries on time and mails em in to you on time.

EDIT: My shoddily-constructed entry is almost finished; all I have to do is tweak it. I might do more to it later, or just work on my other project.

◓◓◓◓◓

[This message has been edited by Jimmy2 (edited 07-27-2008 @ 09:56 PM).]

posted 07-28-08 03:44 PM ET (US)     209 / 549  
Well i have raleized that such small map won't let me nough opportunities to do what i thought i would do. I have no experience doing puzzles so this would be my first one (i think it would be a crappy first try for me).
posted 07-28-08 04:22 PM ET (US)     210 / 549  
Since the computer is well on its way to being completely fixed, I am not going to try to install AoE on this computer. I will use this time to work on other aspects of the game, bitmap and story, as well as planning some final bits to throw in once the computer is fixed. I am really working hard on the bitmap, I hope to make it a work of art all by itself.

posted 07-28-08 06:13 PM ET (US)     211 / 549  
Well i have raleized that such small map won't let me nough opportunities to do what i thought i would do. I have no experience doing puzzles so this would be my first one (i think it would be a crappy first try for me).
exactly my concern!

My Projects:

Ikeda coming soon !
posted 07-29-08 04:25 PM ET (US)     212 / 549  
Yeah, puzzles are one of the harder types, especially in a little map.

posted 07-29-08 05:51 PM ET (US)     213 / 549  
Is anyone not making a puzzle? I will get frustrated if i have to play 5 puzzles in a row...

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 07-29-08 08:17 PM ET (US)     214 / 549  
My entry will contain no puzzles.

------

7/30/08
My entry is nearly complete. I am unable to test as it is multiplayer and I can't play against myself.

The AI, Per and bitmap are all saved in the scx and work in multiplayer, right? (?)

Can most people play at 1024*768 resolution? (Especially the judges) (I won't say too much about why...)

May I include my email address scenario? It is not part of the entry but from now on I want to zip it with every work I submit. It simply contains my email address written in cacti, and a few minor things to enhance it.

Starting on July 30 I will become very busy and will have no more time for designing.

[This message has been edited by zapdotep (edited 07-30-2008 @ 04:45 AM).]

posted 07-30-08 04:48 AM ET (US)     215 / 549  
The AI and Per are definately saved in the scx files. Though it is always nice to have those files shipped with the scenario for some studying *hint hint*

I always play at 1024x768

I have no qualms about having an extra file on my computer that contains a bunch of cacti

[This message has been edited by BBalazs (edited 07-30-2008 @ 04:49 AM).]

posted 07-30-08 05:17 AM ET (US)     216 / 549  
Speaking of hints...
Jimmy2 07-06-08 06:55 PM ET (US) 42 / 215
Nice, I was hoping to see a multiplayer battle. I'll sign you up. Judges, you'll have to find each other's IGZ names to test it out.

MrCheeze 07-06-08 10:22 PM ET (US) 43 / 215 I got the hint. :P

Don't expect much (anything) in the way of Map Design though.
Does this mean we can get the judges to test before final submittal?

------

Update
It is finished.
I have completed everything except the bitmap.
I thought I was only going to be busy, however
Due to the long periods of time I spent working on my entry,

I am no longer allowed to play AoE.

Therefore, I will explain in detail the tricks I discovered.

I do not know if anyone else found this out before.
Mapdefault.bmp is NOT the largest size possible. At the resolution of 1024*768, the bitmap may take up to exactly 827*405 pixels. Using black as transparency, you can
-Put people sitting on the chairs around the map table
-Replace the helmets/bottles etc. with your own objects (I was gonna put a Coke bottle!)
-Put a little dialog box over the OK button (I was gonna do that, saying "Have Fun!")
There are many more possibilities.
I used Gimp to do my bitmap editing. I remember it uses a palette of 255 or 256 colors. The key to making stuff look good was correct Dithering. You first have to extract the palette from mapdefault.bmp. Try out different methods of dithering. Don't dither text if it is a small font. Don't dither things that are already dithered, like stuff taken from screen shots in-game. You can use transparency, just remember to replace with black after you're done.

Another trick is piling towers on top of each other with a town center to create an AoK Town Center.
You can also hide nuke troopers, St. Frans, etc behind Mirror Towers to create a rapid fire mirror tower or a Tesla Coil Tower, etc.
Nuke Troopers(the e=mc2 kind) can blow each other up quickly without leaving a mess like catapults do. You can use this to quickly create damaged buildings.

You can make underground caves with cliffs using the Fog terrain:
Check out Scenario_T_C's Hidden Terrain templates. The Fog templates are particularly useful. I would have tried to make one that is microscopic size but I was unable to get the necessary decompressor for the scn file because DiGiT's site has been down for over two weeks. I think you use the same procedure as in the Custom Map Size Tutorial, but replace the deep water code with the hidden terrain code.

I will email my entry to both The Dark Archer and BBalazs.
I only know what's in your profile.
Please check your email.
You can find my email address written with cacti in a campaign zipped with any of my works.

I submitted a scenario that I made when my micro designing ran out of steam. It hasn't appeared yet but I think the location will be

http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2102
Edit: It works!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by zapdotep (edited 07-30-2008 @ 07:38 PM).]

posted 07-30-08 07:26 AM ET (US)     217 / 549  
That is really awesome! I hope you win ! WEll, I hope everyone can win ! Mine is nothing spectacular so I'm not expecting a victory. + I might not be able to finish in time :P

My Projects:

Ikeda coming soon !
posted 07-30-08 09:43 AM ET (US)     218 / 549  
Checking mailbox...

Nothing, at least yet. But if you did send it, then it will either arrive soon, or I'll consult TDA asap.
posted 07-30-08 10:40 AM ET (US)     219 / 549  
Zappy, I hate you. Well, not really, but in FoI I will have an underground prison and will be using the black terrain. I was hoping nobody else would think of it before I unveiled it.

Darn.

I was able to work on my entry a little last night, VC's are a headache, there are never enough players to have all the VC's you want. The last map is killing me.

posted 07-30-08 11:53 AM ET (US)     220 / 549  
Your mapdefault discovery just led to me discovering that the original mapdefault is a pixel left and up of what it should be.

Have you had the OK button jump around too?

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
"We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
"Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
(Not even sure what he was saying there)

[This message has been edited by MrCheeze (edited 07-30-2008 @ 12:24 PM).]

posted 07-30-08 01:06 PM ET (US)     221 / 549  
You can make underground caves with cliffs using the Fog terrain
This is something I first discovered (including a few of the hidden terrains) a couple of years ago, combining it with my arches/cave entrance trick.

You can also use multiple towers on top of eachother to create rapid fire/arrows that do double damage.
posted 07-30-08 01:53 PM ET (US)     222 / 549  
Good job, Zap! Nice to see a submission ready to go. Also, does anyone know if TDA has disappeared? He hasn't posted in a while, so I'm not sure if he is going to mail all entries he receives to the judges. He said he would earlier, but that was about a month ago, and he never replied when I said that would work...

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 07-30-08 02:04 PM ET (US)     223 / 549  
zapdatape, do you mind if I submit the larger mapdefault template instead of you, including beta mapdefault versions and small ones with the one-pixel-off glitch fixed?

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
"We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
"Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
(Not even sure what he was saying there)

[This message has been edited by MrCheeze (edited 07-30-2008 @ 02:12 PM).]

posted 07-30-08 02:52 PM ET (US)     224 / 549  
I see i have no chance in this contest...anyway, it is funny to design.
posted 07-30-08 05:01 PM ET (US)     225 / 549  
TDA's busy with Uni stuff currently.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 22  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » <_>_***%::: The Microscopic Map Contest :::%***_<_>
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames