You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Saloon (Off Topic)
Moderated by Maffia, Elpea, LordKivlov

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: TMO XX - Video killed the radio god
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 88 89 90 91 92 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 01-11-09 02:11 AM EDT (US)   

sig

[This message has been edited by beekay (edited 02-13-2010 @ 08:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-22-10 10:13 AM EDT (US)     2226 / 2500  
BTW, since when does The Saloon need more than a year to finish a TMO?

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 01-22-10 01:48 PM EDT (US)     2227 / 2500  
Cuz these days hey just make a bunch of fad spam threads instead of posting the spam in here and reserve threads for quality content.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-22-10 02:38 PM EDT (US)     2228 / 2500  
Damn American dates confused me then.

Also either Cheese or Saffah have already analysed this in graph form.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 01-22-10 11:22 PM EDT (US)     2229 / 2500  
BTW, since when does The Saloon need more than a year to finish a TMO?
HAVE SOME OF MAH MATH!

For more TMO trivia, click here!

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing

[This message has been edited by Cheesewiz (edited 01-23-2010 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 01-23-10 05:48 AM EDT (US)     2230 / 2500  
There was a break from Dec 5 2005 until Feb 28th 2005
WHA!!!!!

[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
posted 01-23-10 06:03 AM EDT (US)     2231 / 2500  
Alien abduction. Hence the origin of the core group.

Pears: ok i downloaded a few scenerios and it says place the mp3 folders in the "sound" folder but i cant find the sound folder any where please help!
Elpea: Your sound folder is right next to your fart sounds folder.
posted 01-23-10 04:46 PM EDT (US)     2232 / 2500  
Quoted from Cheesewiz:
There was a break from Dec 5 2005 until Feb 28th 2005
WHA!!!!!
Yeah, those TMOs were closed during two separate periods of TMO bannings. For a while we had decide that TMOs were bad for the forum.

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 01-23-10 05:01 PM EDT (US)     2233 / 2500  
I'm well aware of that, but you might want to check your years .

posted 01-23-10 08:04 PM EDT (US)     2234 / 2500  
Cheesewiz put a flux capacitor into his truck and went back to the future!
posted 01-23-10 08:10 PM EDT (US)     2235 / 2500  
OH NO!!!!11

What a terrible terrible error, may ELPWH forgive me...

Threads will have to be updated, fixed, repaired, oh my...

To work. To work I go.

I can't believe that got by my perfectionism. oh well, it's an excuse to update it now and not work on my lab work.

posted 01-23-10 09:01 PM EDT (US)     2236 / 2500  
Here Ye, Here Ye.

A Declaration of the Articles of Too Much Orange

Version 4.1 - January 23rd 2010

Preamble

I, Cheesewiz, one of the (greatest) moderators in the great history of the great Heaven of Age of Empires III, in order to form a more perfect forum union, establish justice amongst the threads, promote general forum tranquility, provide for the common defense of Off-Topic threads, promote the general welfare of the forum, and to insure the liberties of forumers and future forumers to come, do hereby demand that organization come to Too Much Orange. As its representative, the following Articles are thus recognized by the Saloon.

Article #1

The Saloon states that Too Much Orange threads began as a single thread, listed below as TMO I. TMO II began once TMO I was closed, and the others then followed. The original TMO was named that way so as to point out that all of the moderators at that time were Seraphs and were thus colored orange. After TMO I was established as The Saloon's official spam thread, the tradition seen below slowly grew. The following articles were originally created on August 28th, 2007, during TMO XVIII, with alterations since then. The original posts exists within the edit history here.

Article #2

We of the Saloon now state that there are only some 'spam' threads that are actually worthy of being considered Too Much Orange

The criterion are as follows:
- A TMO must be declared a TMO, and not a TMG, initially by its creator.
- A TMO must have an extremely large number of posts or have had the intention of having a large number of posts before being closed due to a ban on all TMO threads.
- A TMO cannot have been closed by a moderator because of a duplicate thread scenario.
- A TMO must be from Age of Empires III Heaven.

Article #3

A Too Much Green thread, lacking in holiness is recognized as a Spam thread, but not a pure TMO. They are not to be included in this list.

Article #4

TMO threads, upon their creation, from this day forward, must be acknowledged by a number to serve for ease of reference. This must be in the title post or in the title itself at any given time.

Article #5

TMO threads shall always have at least one winner. That winner shall be the person who receives the 2500th post, and could be shared with another person if special circumstances exist, such as the owner of the last post in a 2500+ post thread. That person has the right to create a new thread. If multiple winners exist, then they may make competing threads, though only one will remain open. This will be decided by member selection and endorsement.

Article #6

These are the holy Too Much Orange Threads. To change this list is to be punishable by frowning faces unless accompanied by a worthy amendment to this document.

TMO I - Too much orange!-Won by Beekay

TMO II - Too much orange- II- Won by Parrotman

TMO III - Three Much Orange: A New Mod (And it ends... ADDER ROCKS)- Won by Centurion_13

TMO IV - Four Much Orange: Dio the Magic Dragon- Won by Zargax and Dio

TMO V - Five Much Orange: Get your new and improved Doitzel. Only 19.89- Won by Jarrod Nelson

TMO VI - Doitzel Much Orange? Mmmm... PO - TA - TOES... and gravy.- Won by Pulkit

TMO VII - Sunny Much Orange - The Doikie Diaries [Oh OutlandishTeacup!]- Won by Arcticwind7

TMO VIII - I 8 Much Orange - 11-17-02 - We will never forget! I will...!- Won by EaZy

TMO IX - Nein Much Orange - How Doitzel Stole Christmas (with his pet dog... er, snake, Adder)- Won by Cheesewiz

TMO X - Ten much Orange - Damn you raaman's smurf!- Won by Jumbalaya

TMO XI - XI Much Orange: The thread that always exists - Won by Wai33

TMO XII - Red Dwarf Orange - Jaxmen beat-down- Won by beekay

TMO XIII - 13 Much Orange - Let's all egg Beagle's house- Won by Jerrod Nelson

TMO XIV - 14 Much Orange- Smith rules- Won by Outlandish Teacup

TMO XV - No More Scrubs - yah ha- Won by Primo

TMO XVI - Too Much Orange: Ryan's Blog- Won by Flaming Warhawk

TMO XVII - Too Much Orange: What TMO is this?- Won by Jax at first closing by default, then won by Skrylas at second closing by default.

TMO XVIII - Too Much Orange: I want a ponay- Won by Xiphias

TMO XIX - Too Much Orange: ITT, how to smoke fewer cigarettes!- Won by Eternal War0 and beekay.

TMO XX - Too Much Orange: Video killed the radio god Killed Won nefariously by Sawyer double-posting horrible image macro.

Article #7

This document also recognizes the following as truly Saloon traditions, and they are thus also worthy of preservation and respectful use.

hth, hth - This phrase grew from an original misunderstanding by forumer Cheesewiz as to the meaning of the common phrase "hth". Normally meaning "hope this helps", he thought it meant "Hottie to Hottie". This led to a Saloon Christmas image that helped to popularize the phrase, and the eventual creation of the combination phrase "hth, hth", which means Hope This Helps, Hottie to Hottie.

The Pecking Order of the Saloon and As_Saffah's Analysis - A ranking of Salooners by relative importance and relative Saloon power along with As_Saffah's Analysis of it.

The Top Posters of HeavenGames - A ranking of all HG forumers by their number of posts.

An Analysis of TMO Posting Rates - A graph compiled of total posts in TMO threads with an equation for total post projections at the request of then Forumer (formerly AOE3H Seraph Stonewall J).

The Holy Deity ELPWH - ELPWH, also known as forumer Elpea, is the patron deity of the Saloon and its high protector.

The Post Apocalyptic Saloon - Once long ago when the Saloon was in chaos and the forumers were in rebellion against Seraph Stonewall, he chose to do the unthinkable to end the war. He nuked the Saloon. Peace sprang forth from the joint recovery efforts. Pictures of the forum logo before, during, and after reconstruction are linked here. Never forget - 9/28/07.

SEAM HORSeS - It may well be the silliest thread ever made, but it was also one of the greatest. It led to an artistic revolution that helped change Saloon culture, and it made Shrink one of the greatest Salooners to ever post.

Anthology of Saloon Memes - This thread, created by CunniJA, lists many Saloon memes, some of which are also here. It also has extensive comments on them from a variety of forumers.

This Article may be amended to accurate reflect future and suggested Saloon Traditions.

Article #8

This post is to be updated in order for its long term use. It is also to be posted in other locations by its creator. All research done by the creator of this document is based on forum searches and personal memory.

-----------------------------------

Change Log: Added SEAM HORSeS, Post-Apocalyptic Saloon, Link to Cunni's thread, slight changes in Article I, Updated TMO Posting Stats

[This message has been edited by As_Saffah (edited 02-20-2010 @ 04:39 PM).]

posted 01-23-10 09:20 PM EDT (US)     2237 / 2500  
I think I need to pop up just for the 2500th post, so I can cement myself in the Saloon archives.

§¤¢|<
Love Here.
posted 01-24-10 09:45 AM EDT (US)     2238 / 2500  
Only 262 to go!

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
-Ender_Ward
posted 01-24-10 09:46 AM EDT (US)     2239 / 2500  
Didn't read the whole post, but do you mention the switch to Too Much Green for a few threads?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 01-24-10 09:54 AM EDT (US)     2240 / 2500  
I hate that whole bullshit post cheesewiz keeps posting and updating almost as much as the pecking order and statistics rubbish which have been kicking around recently
They feel so completely at odds with how the saloon has been the last 18 or so months and they should be anathema to us all

posted 01-24-10 10:55 AM EDT (US)     2241 / 2500  
What way would you like to see the Saloon celebrated, if at all?

What would you like to do differently?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 01-24-10 12:14 PM EDT (US)     2242 / 2500  
Well, for me (and i recognise this may be different for everyone else, in which case hurray everyone else) the saloon has been at its absolute best and funnest when it's been ridiculous silly, anarchic, with rhyme but no reason, and hurtling from one thing to another with no regard to threads more than a few weeks ago, let alone months

Archiving, quantifying, recalling, legitimizing, canonizing, etc, seems completely wrong to me in view of the above
Recently there have been graphs showing post counts, lists, tables, pecking order tables, etc... it's all so wrong
The only graphs/tables remotely relevant to this forum are those in this thread -- and i don't mean the one posted by xiphias

I don't like the idea of treating any of the saloon fun seriously, and I ****ing hate the idea of creating a saloon canon which should be posted and referred to at all times

So to answer your question, i'd like to see the saloon celebrated by continuing it in its best form, by enjoying it, and moving swiftly along without looking back and without being remotely scientific about anything

(also by getting rid of the quasi-racists and serious/political/religious etc threads)

I'm probably a minority of one thinking any of this so i won't mention any of it again

posted 01-24-10 12:21 PM EDT (US)     2243 / 2500  
Well I think statistics are charming so there

house won this
posted 01-24-10 12:39 PM EDT (US)     2244 / 2500  
I like the off-the-cuff Saloon dynamic too, and don't want to see it stagnate in self-worship and "inner circle" circle-jerking the way some humour forums do.

The pecking order shocked me when I saw it because it was one of the first blatant "popularity contest" types of posts I'd seen. Usually when that sort of sentiment starts cropping up in a forum, it means certain people in a community are butt-hurt about something and want to pick a fight/tear up the place. In retrospect, looking at the thread starter, I'm not surprised and not as concerned. Coming from a relative outsider and newcomer, it seemed out of place and some of us were pr. surprised to see Cheese run with the "data".

Normally this kind of pissing contest makes for a tiresome forum and I usually avoid the Saloon when these things come up, but I was bored and saw an opportunity to see if I still remembered enough statistics to make a graph and interpret it.

With better judgment, I realize this whole matter is best forgotten and allowed to sink into the soft anoxic ooze at the bottom of the forum. Perhaps a daring deep-sea expedition will recover it intact after millions of years, preserved by low-oxygen conditions. Perhaps a great seismic event will thrust up the strata of the Abyss into the mountaintops, and an upstate New York highway construction team will discover the fossilized remains of the pecking order in a slab of slate. IMO it should not be canonized. Effort != worth.

The TMO time-to-completion graph is very different story for the Saloon. It is a dreary, depressing reminder that AOE3 is a dying game and this Heaven is reaching a plateau, and a crucial decision. We've had some new GDers pop in to the Saloon, but with the predictable result that not all of them are a good fit here. Some see the Saloon as a place to argue politics and religion. Others see the Saloon as their personal therapist or a place where they feel they can leave behind their social skills, and just drop horrible threads like leaden farts in church.

Abort, retry, fail? With TMO reaching a plateau, an asymptote beyond which no TMO can ever expect to be "finished" in the foreseeable future, what does the Saloon want to do?

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 01-24-10 02:14 PM EDT (US)     2245 / 2500  
For the record, anyone who doesn't think the statistics posts are tongue in cheek is silly silly silly. I mean, there is a giant picture of oranges and stuff.
Didn't read the whole post, but do you mention the switch to Too Much Green for a few threads?
It's in there.

posted 01-24-10 03:51 PM EDT (US)     2246 / 2500  
We've had some new GDers pop in to the Saloon, but with the predictable result that not all of them are a good fit here. Some see the Saloon as a place to argue politics and religion. Others see the Saloon as their personal therapist or a place where they feel they can leave behind their social skills, and just drop horrible threads like leaden farts in church.
*GASP* You weren't talking about ME, were you?
It is a dreary, depressing reminder that AOE3 is a dying game and this Heaven is reaching a plateau
Not if we don't let it
Abort, retry, fail? With TMO reaching a plateau, an asymptote beyond which no TMO can ever expect to be "finished" in the foreseeable future, what does the Saloon want to do?
Don't think about it, don't bring it up again, and keep moving forward.

What did you expect us to say? "Gee, i guess since AOE is a dying game and AOE3H is dying, we had better just give up"?

Keep him from expanding. Keep him scared. Keep him making the wrong type of troops. Control the game, don't react to it.
-Ender_Ward

[This message has been edited by jds2012 (edited 01-24-2010 @ 03:54 PM).]

posted 01-24-10 04:58 PM EDT (US)     2247 / 2500  
The TMO time-to-completion graph is very different story for the Saloon. It is a dreary, depressing reminder that AOE3 is a dying game and this Heaven is reaching a plateau, and a crucial decision.
I disagree

I mentioned this towards the end of 2008 (but was ignored) -- basically, the entire saloon had/has become a tmo in itself

Stuff i would post in tmo/tmg from 2005-2008, from 2008 I just made new threads for or posted in whatever thread i fancied

Essentially tmo has become completely superfluous which explains its leveling off and i for one would be fine with it being closed and just using the saloon in general for tmo-posts (which is what i've been doing for nearly 2 years)
For the record, anyone who doesn't think the statistics posts are tongue in cheek is silly silly silly
i get that
its still lame to my eyes

[This message has been edited by SHRInK (edited 01-24-2010 @ 04:59 PM).]

posted 01-24-10 05:01 PM EDT (US)     2248 / 2500  
I disagree

I mentioned this towards the end of 2008 (but was ignored) -- basically, the entire saloon had/has become a tmo in itself

Stuff i would post in the saloon from 2005-2008, I just made new threads for or posted in whatever thread i fancied

Essentially tmo has become completely superfluous which explains its leveling off and i for one would be fine with it being closed and just using the saloon in general for tmo-posts (which is what i've been doing for nearly 2 years)
agreed.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 01-24-10 05:03 PM EDT (US)     2249 / 2500  
also i don't really have a problem with keeping a TMO, but i don't see why we have to close them at 2500 posts any more. seems pointless to me.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
posted 01-24-10 05:03 PM EDT (US)     2250 / 2500  
Well, for me (and i recognise this may be different for everyone else, in which case hurray everyone else) the saloon has been at its absolute best and funnest when it's been ridiculous silly, anarchic, with rhyme but no reason, and hurtling from one thing to another with no regard to threads more than a few weeks ago, let alone months

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 88 89 90 91 92 ··· 100  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » The Saloon (Off Topic) » TMO XX - Video killed the radio god
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames