You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Lord of the Rings - (Need Playtesters)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01-08-07 06:39 PM CT (US)   
Hey, It's BIHSting. This is a project I've been working on. You could call it new, but it's more just a revival of my work for METC, with some new additions of course! There are many tricks I can guarantee no one has seen before.

This project isn't for METC, this is a standalone campaign intended to work without any mods or data editing required. In short, an average, plain ole' vanilla version of TC will work for it.

Why Lord of the Rings, you ask? I've taken up the books again, and have been absorbed into them. "But the whole concept is so overdone" some might say. Overdone, it may be, but by no means done well. I can only name a handful of campaigns that actually did justice to Tolkien, or Peter Jackson for that matter.

This campaign will encompass the whole of Tolkien's work. This will be my own blend of book and movie plot, following the movies in the sense of a 'Frodo-centric' plot, or a sequence of events based around the destruction of the ring. I may add the Scouring of the Shire, but my current outline does not include that. If I find enough time and motivation at the end of this long haul I will definatly try to add it. Here is the current campaign outline, with the completed scenarios in green. (Note that the title scenarios are cutscenes) :

---The Fellowship of the Ring---
Flight from the Shire
Strider
The Ring goes South
A Journey in the Dark
The Breaking of the Fellowship

---The Two Towers---
The Black Gate is Closed
The King of the Golden Hall
The Window on the West
Helm's Deep
Flotsam and Jetsam
---The Return of the King---
The Siege of Gondor
The Passing of the Grey Company
Shelob's Lair
The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
The Land of Shadow
Many Partings (Cutscene)

Features:
-Creative representations of the various characters in the books and movies.
-Accurate portrayal of 'difficult-to-portray' scenes including Moria and Minas Tirith.
-Very very cool Balrog sequence!
-Much more!

The title scenarios for each book will be long cutscenes, maybe up to 20 minutes. In the Fellowship of the Ring, I will do something similar to what the films did, introducing Sauron and the Last Alliance, and giving some backstory. In the Two Towers, which will be lengthier, I will include the Taming of Smeagol, The Uruk-Hai, and The Riders of Rohan. In the Return of the King, I will include Frodo and Sam's story up until Frodo enters the pass of Cirith Ungol, and Gandalf and Pippin's ride to Minas Tirith until the start of the siege.

If you haven't already noticed, the Fellowship of the Ring is finished. I need to get some playtesters to test it out, and sound files of course. Anyone willing to do that, my E-Mail is dstanzovic@yahoo.com. Lengthy reviews are very appreciated!
Download the Fellowship of the Ring!

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 01-09-2007 @ 09:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-08-07 07:30 PM CT (US)     1 / 64  
I WILL TEST IT!! I LOVE LOTR! Sorry for shouting, but it's cool i'm the first one to get the chance. What do I do? where do I download it. I clicked the link, but it brought up a web hosting page.

EDIT: Never mind. I found our how. Thanks. I'll test it out and give you a honest report.

[This message has been edited by King Phillip (edited 01-08-2007 @ 07:32 PM).]

posted 01-08-07 07:30 PM CT (US)     2 / 64  
Well now..

I'll take a look.

:::::M:I:L:I:T:I:A:M:O:U:S:E::::

drop in to eleven:11 - my gallery
:::::::::Tsunami::Studios:::::::::
posted 01-08-07 08:05 PM CT (US)     3 / 64  
I'll download it and see. Looks very nice.

By the way, use http://box.net for uploading. It's much better, with no ads, your own account with 1GB of space, a nice interface, etc.

me
posted 01-08-07 08:11 PM CT (US)     4 / 64  
BIHSting;
This is the BEST cut scene I've ever seen! It's was so like the book and the movie. WOW! Good job. I recommend this to everyone who likes LOTR.

I would rate 10 if I could, but I can't even rate it 5 because this "reply box" here only lets me type text. I love it.

again,great job. can't wait for the rest.

posted 01-08-07 08:51 PM CT (US)     5 / 64  
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! If you can, for feedback type a good amount so I know how I can make it better, what you would like to see in it, etc....

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
posted 01-09-07 06:42 AM CT (US)     6 / 64  
Hey BIHSting, good to see you around.

Unfortunately everytime I try to download your file it comes up with an error. Is there some way you could maybe use another host perhaps which would most probably fix this?

On the side note, whatever happened to 'Slave's Revolt'?

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 01-09-2007 @ 06:46 AM).]

posted 01-09-07 08:51 AM CT (US)     7 / 64  
Certainly add the scouring of the shire, as it was a very important chapter which didn't make the movie... seeing hobbits battle with ruffians is just too cool and it explains Saruman's story too...

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 01-09-07 10:21 AM CT (US)     8 / 64  
morgoth bauglir;
the hobbit thing didn't come to the last book. this is the first one.

BIHSting;
one thing you could to to make it better to, if it's possable, make the cliffs a lot higher where the ring gets cast into the fire. Making it higner will make the explosions seen farther down, therefor making it seen more like the movies, a BIG fall.

posted 01-09-07 10:32 AM CT (US)     9 / 64  
Haven't had time yet to take alook at this, but I'll surely do so.

The best of luck on this!

Quoted from King Phillip:

BIHSting;
one thing you could to to make it better to, if it's possable, make the cliffs a lot higher where the ring gets cast into the fire. Making it higner will make the explosions seen farther down, therefor making it seen more like the movies, a BIG fall.

BIHSting is making his LOTR campaign based on the books. So what's the point of making it look more like the film?

Quoted from King Phillip:

morgoth bauglir;
the hobbit thing didn't come to the last book. this is the first one.

I think he was talking about adding it to The Return of the King.

Hussarknight
posted 01-09-07 10:40 AM CT (US)     10 / 64  
When I was talking about the cliffs, I ment the books and movies I read the books and seen the movies dozens of times, well, mabey dozen of dozen times!

About the hobbits, I didn't know.

EDIT: forgive me, i didn't know there was a game you can play!! I thought there was only a cutsence! It's great eye candy, i couldn't get past the knights, where frodo says GET OF THE ROAD. I died a lot a times because i couldn't find out where the ferry was! lol

[This message has been edited by King Phillip (edited 01-09-2007 @ 02:26 PM).]

posted 01-09-07 04:29 PM CT (US)     11 / 64  
i would like to playstest.This is the best Fellowship of the rings campaign ive seen.very good job i will follow you till the end till the fires of mordor
posted 01-09-07 09:14 PM CT (US)     12 / 64  
Impeached: I've changed the host, thanks for the tip!

Mashek: I've decided to put the Slave Revolt on hold, it may get released as is, but for now it's on hold. I've put the link on a different host, so try it now.

morgoth: You've made me think a little harder about adding in the Scouring...

King Phillip: Have you gotten past the ferry yet? To give you a hint, it's north of the black riders, once you enter the fenced area, go north, you won't miss it.

joelh: Sounds good, I await your feedback!

EDIT: Anyone have any Lord of the Rings music file I may use? Credit will be given where it's due, of course. Any other files you guys think I'll find useful? Send them to dstanzovic@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 01-09-2007 @ 09:17 PM).]

posted 01-09-07 09:57 PM CT (US)     13 / 64  
I have some. I will send it to you tomorrow.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 01-09-07 10:28 PM CT (US)     14 / 64  
Um, bad idea. I would suggest buying the soundtracks off of Amazon.com.

Unless, of course, you're talking about Lord of the Rings-esque music that's not copyrighted.

dannyking.me

posted 01-10-07 02:47 AM CT (US)     15 / 64  
Hi BIHSting. I also made a cutscene for the FotR prologue a while back, which you can find in the Single Player Scenarios section of the BS. Feel free to use any of the soundfiles in there that you wish.

I like your scenarios though, very nice map design. I especially liked the pillars in the Moria section. I know you're not finished yet, but there were a few things I thought could be improved upon in the first scenario (even though I'm not a playtester ). For example you mention in either the hints or objectives that many of the units will speak to you when you click on them. However, I found that most of the villagers did nothing when you clicked on them. I reckon a neat idea would be to rename the villagers after names that are given in the book, for example, Sancho Proudfoot, or Ted Sandyman (by his mill of course ), and you could simply have a small message either humorous or as a part of the storyline to accomany them. This would not only increase the playablilty by adding a bit more gameplay, but it makes it just that bit more interesting as well. After all, we all know the storyline, so you want to be able to tell it in a way that keeps the player interested.

I also encountered a bug in the first scenario just after you meet Farmer Maggot. When you go to hide off the road from the Black Rider (under the cliff), the units change player, and it tells you that the rider is 'sniffing' for something. I waited quite a while, but they didn't change back to player 1. Not quite sure what happened there.

I also have many other sounds I was going to use in a LotR campaign I was going to do, but I really doubt I'll ever around to it now. I have the 'Moria' scenario completed but that's about it. All of the music I got from the Soundtrack CDs, other clips directly from the movies, and a few from the BBC Radio production of the series (I have reduced the quality of virtually all of them since they are under copyright). Let me know if you're interested, email will probably be the best way (in profile).

If you use copyrighted material, it pays to have acknowledgement of the source, along with a note that they are only to be used for the scenario and not for distribution which may otherwise breach copyright. Wikipedia has a good document on Fair Use.

EDIT: I hope you don't mind me saying all that here.

[This message has been edited by VonCorgath (edited 01-10-2007 @ 04:51 AM).]

posted 01-10-07 12:11 PM CT (US)     16 / 64  
OK, thanks for the tip.
posted 01-10-07 06:49 PM CT (US)     17 / 64  
That's pretty wierd, King Phillip said he got all the way to the ferry part, so I don't know if this is a random bug or a common occurence. If you could do me a favor and playtest up until that point once again, I would appreciate it.

About the sounds, whatever you think won't violate copywriting laws, I'll take. Just send it to the E-mail, I'll look through that Moria scenario VonCorgath and find the sounds, but first we've gotta figure out this bug. If you encounter it again, feel free to skip to the next scenario using I R WINNER, since not much happens after the get off the road sequence.

EDIT: Nice ideas about the hobbits thing, I'll definatly add that in.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 01-10-2007 @ 06:54 PM).]

posted 01-10-07 06:52 PM CT (US)     18 / 64  
I got to the ferry part, and keep on crashing to the right of the dock, sorta where the outpost is because the boat goes there when I click to undock my guys.
posted 01-10-07 06:57 PM CT (US)     19 / 64  
Ummm.... were you near any rocks? I know I made triggers that sink your boat when you're near the rocks jutting out on the banks of the river.

So if you got to the ferry part, then I think VonCorgaths bug can be explained as a random occurence, or maybe not. Either way I'll polish up the triggers in that section.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 01-10-2007 @ 06:58 PM).]

posted 01-11-07 04:09 AM CT (US)     20 / 64  
Hi BIHSting. I've emailed you some stuff along with that Moria scenario I mentioned. Check it out, it's fully playable (minus a few bugs). Do you think it's worth putting up on the Blacksmith?

Haven't got around to seeing if that bug pops up again yet. Hopefully I'll get some time maybe tomorrow.

posted 01-11-07 06:36 AM CT (US)     21 / 64  
Behold, a project I've been working on for almost a year.
http://www.mfbb.net/tdr4life/tdr4life-about574.html
posted 01-11-07 07:55 AM CT (US)     22 / 64  
Impressive, Modrocker! Great work! I do think, however that the Easterlings need to be more golden and the Rohirram green cloak and blue saddle more realistic because as they are they are a bit plain.
posted 01-11-07 12:14 PM CT (US)     23 / 64  
Modrocker, your rockin! Those mod packs are amazing! you got to let me know when it's available for download! So amazing. some of the screenshots do not come up.
posted 01-11-07 06:33 PM CT (US)     24 / 64  
They all show, as for a the units, the Easterlings are fine trust me, they don't need to be more golden. As for the Roherrim, I've asked Jorgito to make it more realistic by using an AoK horse, and I might edit the cape later on. I don't even have the mod anymore because of a system restore, but Jorgito should have it so I'm waiting on him to get it back.
posted 01-11-07 07:05 PM CT (US)     25 / 64  
Ok, cool. I'm not sure what you said (), but it sounds like your work is going to be great!
posted 01-12-07 04:04 PM CT (US)     26 / 64  
Any feedback you guys? How's the scenario coming?

posted 01-12-07 04:58 PM CT (US)     27 / 64  
I'm sorry, I forgot about it. I'll try it tomarrow if I can remember. I was working on my game.

I won it! It's was cool.

[This message has been edited by King Phillip (edited 01-13-2007 @ 04:42 PM).]

posted 01-15-07 12:14 PM CT (US)     28 / 64  
Can you please be a little more detailed? 'It was cool' is three words, how will three words help me out when it comes to fixing bugs in the campaign? If you can, write a little more, likes and dislikes, suggestions, things like that.

posted 01-15-07 12:17 PM CT (US)     29 / 64  
when I said it was cool, I ment it it was cool!. It was really detailed! and finding the elves was a challenge. It was really a fun game to play.
posted 01-16-07 07:23 AM CT (US)     30 / 64  
What did you think of the Balrog part? Did I do it any justice?

posted 01-16-07 12:01 PM CT (US)     31 / 64  
What Balrog part? whats Balrog? I know, being a Lotr fan, I should know. But i don't.
posted 01-16-07 01:06 PM CT (US)     32 / 64  
WHAT KIND OF LOTR FAN ARE YOU, DONT KNOW WHAT'S A BALROG?? SHAME!!

A balrog is the huge fire demon which appeared in the movie 'Fellowship of the ring'. Gandalf fights him on the bridge.

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 01-16-07 01:44 PM CT (US)     33 / 64  
This is the best Lotr campaign I have ever seen. I'm on "The Ring Goes South" and so far it has been great.

« the Wolf Hunter »
 The Sorax Cloud ~ Coming Soon
In Progress: The Minigame Competition
posted 01-16-07 02:50 PM CT (US)     34 / 64  
"BIHsting: What did you think of the Balrog part? Did I do it any justice?"

I think the balrog part was very creative,making a ram apear in front of Gandalf and then suddenly it unleashed itself and transformed into the Fire Ship.Very cool

posted 01-16-07 04:16 PM CT (US)     35 / 64  
I don't remember seeing a balrog. I now remember it in the movie, but i don't remember seeing it in the cutsence/book1 campain i donwloaded. In fact, the campain ended at the Prancing Pony. After that, I was victorous. I'll check tomarrow to see in an other one appeared.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Lord of the Rings - (Need Playtesters)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames