Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The AoK Mini-Game Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 04-24-07 03:29 PM CT (US)   

Thanks to King Phillip making this banner

I have organised this competition because I thought that I and I'm sure a lot of the community would like a fun and easy competition with no epic soundtrack, thousands of triggers and breath-taking map design (of course you could do this :P). The competition is a break and hopefully a lot of fun, thats all.

The aim is to make not the best map design, or the best storyline, but to make your mini-game exciting, to keep the player on edge, with constant action. That will be the main aim.

The Rules

~ The mapsize must be 25x25, the mapsize can be found at the Blacksmith Utilities section
~ Scenarios must be finished and sent in by June 30th, you will need to upload the file onto an external host, and send the link to me by email. (I will release my email shortly before the deadline)
~ There must only be one scenario
~ There must be 2 difficulties, Normal and Hard. No more or less.
~ No modpacks are allowed, except Renaissance.
~ You cannot submit screenshots before release, this will ruin the fun!
~ Your file size must be under 10mb
~ No team efforts, which includes partnerships, are allowed.
~ Data editing is not allowed, but you may use AOK Trigger Studio.
~ If you are getting stressed or tired over your project, you will be disqualified! (that was a joke, but please do not over exert yourself. This competition is purely for fun)
~ Have fun!

Judging
These 4 factors will be used in judging.

Map Design - Speaks for itself
Playability - This is the most important part, so 10/10 will be hard to come by. Any hint of boredom is minus points.
Balance - Was it too easy or too hard?
Creativity - How original was your scenario, did you change names to make it stand out?

I will need 3 judges to help me, so if you're interested, please leave a comment with your email. If you are not emailed, this means you were not chosen as a judge.

When the judges have made a decision, I will post all the download links on this thread. There will be a couple of awards, and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place scenarios will be announced.

Competitors
Da_Mexicanos
Crusader_7
Hamish
BrandNewCar
Lord Basse
Sword_of_Storm
Tlaloc
Shumba
Interesting in Judging (3 Judges needed)
Julius999
Dantares IV
CRAZEDMANIAC
Thorax

« the Wolf Hunter »
 The Sorax Cloud ~ Coming Soon
In Progress: The Minigame Competition

[This message has been edited by the Wolf Hunter (edited 05-24-2007 @ 12:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-24-07 04:08 PM CT (US)     1 / 124  
I am willing to judge if you like.
Da_Mexicanos@hotmail.com

Also I will be entering the competition.

Cheers

~Dan~

[This message has been edited by Da_Mexicanos (edited 04-24-2007 @ 04:09 PM).]

posted 04-24-07 04:12 PM CT (US)     2 / 124  
I'll be a judge if possible.

By the way, Da_Mexicanos, it's probably best not to enter and judge the same competition. Conflict of interests?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 04-24-07 04:12 PM CT (US)     3 / 124  
I'm interested in entering...

Where can I upload my game to when I'm done though?

posted 04-24-07 04:21 PM CT (US)     4 / 124  
@Da_Mexicanos - Sorry you can't enter and be a judge for the reasons Julius said. It would be unfair basically.
@Thorax - Try www.mediafire.com.I used to have a great file host, but I have stupidly forgotten the address.

« the Wolf Hunter »

[This message has been edited by the Wolf Hunter (edited 04-24-2007 @ 04:22 PM).]

posted 04-24-07 04:24 PM CT (US)     5 / 124  
box.net is the best host around.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 04-24-07 04:44 PM CT (US)     6 / 124  
I'll be neither. GL though.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 04-24-07 04:56 PM CT (US)     7 / 124  
I am in. One quick question, regarding difficultly levels, do you want Ai, trigger or default Aok?

Pandemonium doesn't reign around here. It pours. - Unknown
The only thing worse then beating a dead horse is betting on one. -Relient K

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it put this in your signature.
posted 04-24-07 05:42 PM CT (US)     8 / 124  
Oh Yeah Duh lol, Ill judge and if i don't get selected, then ill enter
posted 04-24-07 06:16 PM CT (US)     9 / 124  
~ No modpacks are allowed

is GeniEd allowed?

EDIT: If it is allowed, I'll definitely compete, I already have an idea of what to do.

[This message has been edited by elmoroxdahouse (edited 04-24-2007 @ 09:32 PM).]

posted 04-24-07 09:14 PM CT (US)     10 / 124  
I don't intend to enter, so I was thinking about judging, but what do you need to do in order to judge? Might be a dumb question, sorry.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 04-25-07 09:51 AM CT (US)     11 / 124  
~ There must be 2 difficulties, Normal and Hard.

Is 2 difficulties the maximum, or may one make more difficulty levels?

~ Scenarios must be finished and sent in by July 1st, you will need to upload the file onto a host, and send the link to me by email. (I will release my email shortly before the deadline)

Do we have to upload entries to an 'external' host, or will the Blacksmith do?

Hussarknight
posted 04-25-07 09:55 AM CT (US)     12 / 124  
Balance - Are the battles well balanced, was it too easy or too hard?

If the scenario doesnt include any battles, what's your solution then? If, for example, a question is too hard or a special item his too hard or too easy to find that should count instead of fighting as for balance, or something similar.

Also, I think you should add Creativity as a cathegory

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 04-25-07 10:58 AM CT (US)     13 / 124  
Sounds fun. I'd look forward to a small, quick side project. I might not get it done on time, but what the hell - I'm in.

* * * (-) | ¯\I )¬, (¯) |) |-|- ,O /^V^\ |¯ * * *
-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-
...Still working on The Epic of Gilgamesh...
posted 04-25-07 11:25 AM CT (US)     14 / 124  

If anyone could be kind enough to whip up a banner for the competition, I would be extremely grateful

i'll try ti whip one up for you
posted 04-25-07 11:25 AM CT (US)     15 / 124  
Thanks, Lord Basse, for reminding me. Yes I will add creativity to the list. Also I couldn't think of a good explanation of balance, but I'll try and fix that.

« the Wolf Hunter »
posted 04-25-07 11:35 AM CT (US)     16 / 124  

there it is it's not the best, but i only have PSP7 ya know
posted 04-25-07 11:44 AM CT (US)     17 / 124  
there it is
Where?

Hussarknight
posted 04-25-07 11:55 AM CT (US)     18 / 124  
Sorry I didn't answer everyone's questions:

Hussarknight - You can only have 2 difficulties, sorry. I feel this is the best way to work. I also probably didn't explain the deadline clearly, but yes, you must upload to a external site.
Wireless Wanderer - You can use any type of difficulty.
You cannot use Genied, sorry.

Also thanks to King Phillip for a nice banner

« the Wolf Hunter »

[This message has been edited by the Wolf Hunter (edited 04-25-2007 @ 12:00 PM).]

posted 04-25-07 12:20 PM CT (US)     19 / 124  
So you can't use the Renaissance?

By the way... I want to join!

____¯¯ Crusader_7 ¯¯____
- Proud member of Valkyrie Designs -
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Css stats: http://hlx.vrod.dk/sig.php?player_id=29891&background=random
posted 04-25-07 12:32 PM CT (US)     20 / 124  
I'm interested.
posted 04-25-07 01:39 PM CT (US)     21 / 124  
I'm entering.

Discworld Designer!
MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
Project Page
posted 04-25-07 02:04 PM CT (US)     22 / 124  
Seconded.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 04-25-07 02:04 PM CT (US)     23 / 124  
You may use Renaissance.

« the Wolf Hunter »
posted 04-25-07 03:20 PM CT (US)     24 / 124  
One last question before I get to work, are GeniED 2 unlocked beta units allowed?

Pandemonium doesn't reign around here. It pours. - Unknown
The only thing worse then beating a dead horse is betting on one. -Relient K

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it put this in your signature.
posted 04-26-07 00:05 AM CT (US)     25 / 124  
i would like to be a judge.

dragonkeeper2011@yahoo.com if you allow me

This looks like fun, but I am not good with triggers

CRAZEDMANIAC
The Ever Changing Maze Progress: 73%
Download the new beta here!

Proud member of DGDN
posted 04-26-07 00:48 AM CT (US)     26 / 124  
I may come across badly here but what the heck:

This line doesn't make sense.

No modpacks are allowed, but you may use Renaissance.

Now under the definition a modpack is something that requires the player of the project to use an edited .dat file as well as the designer..

Discworld Designer!
MY DESIGNS:-] 2002PTC Honourable mention, collaboration with Qazitory
Troll Bridge v1.3, Dragons Lair v1.1
Project Page
posted 04-26-07 09:03 AM CT (US)     27 / 124  
Can anyone give me a link to the 25 x 25 map in the blacksmith?

____¯¯ Crusader_7 ¯¯____
- Proud member of Valkyrie Designs -
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Css stats: http://hlx.vrod.dk/sig.php?player_id=29891&background=random
posted 04-26-07 10:14 AM CT (US)     28 / 124  
Maybe he means this. I dont think there's any other template for 25x25 units maps.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 04-26-07 11:16 AM CT (US)     29 / 124  
You may use unlocked units. I think it would be fun to use Renaissance. I think it is a designers essential in my opinion. I will change that rule slightly so it makes more sense.

« the Wolf Hunter »
posted 04-26-07 11:50 AM CT (US)     30 / 124  
Thanks for the link Lord Basse. I just began working on mine; my idea is all planned out and the mapping is finished - all that's left for me to do is 10 hours of triggering. I'm happy with my progress so far, and I might even be the first to submit their game! ^^
So powerful, the boost of coffee...

BTW, does anyone have any good places to download sound clips for free? I searched the forums, but what little help I got didn't work for me.

[This message has been edited by Styrophome (edited 04-26-2007 @ 01:10 PM).]

posted 04-26-07 01:20 PM CT (US)     31 / 124  
Imperial creations had a couple, otherwise, I'm not sure. I find it very hard to find good sfx aswell.

« the Wolf Hunter »
posted 04-26-07 01:37 PM CT (US)     32 / 124  
www.sounddogs.com

Very useful, but some files have very irritating background sounds.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 04-26-07 01:47 PM CT (US)     33 / 124  
I checked both of those places: both IC and DGDN didn't have what I was looking for, and sounddogs.com only lets me preveiw the sounds I want for free (but they do have what I want). Does this mean that I'll be forced to spend money on a few small sound clips that I'll only use once? ='(

posted 04-26-07 01:59 PM CT (US)     34 / 124  
When the sound starts in media player just save it to the place you want

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 04-26-07 03:38 PM CT (US)     35 / 124  
That works?

To do that, do you right-click it, or do you go to "file/save" as? I did the "save as" thing, but it only worked once. After that, the bar was unselectable, and I can't find the file in the place I saved it to.

This is probably a stupid question, but is it also possible to get tracks from my iTunes library to the AoK/Sound/Scenario and have them play properly? I have somehow managed to get one of the songs (not from the library though) in there (as a 483kb sized mp3 file), but the game crashes when I try to get a trigger to play it. I don't know much about computers, especially when it comes to things like this, but I compared it to all the other songs in the Sound file, and it doesn't look any different.

[This message has been edited by Styrophome (edited 04-26-2007 @ 03:48 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The AoK Mini-Game Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames