Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: "This is Sparta!"
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 07-07-07 03:03 AM CT (US)   
The basic idea will be the defense of Thermopylae, or Hot Gates, against the endless hordes of Xerxes I. The player controls only King Leonidas, and that unit in turn commands his 300 Spartan hoplites (which will most likely by a more manageable number such as 30, and represented by huskarls in the game). Leonidas must not lose a single one of his men, or the player will lose.

Leonidas will have a number of commands that will influence the actions of his men, which will most likely be taunt commanded. The decisions made by King Leonidas decide whether or not his men live, and whether or not the player loses.

"Regroup!"
When Leonidas commands his men to regroup, they will rally to wherever he is standing.

"Shields Up!"
After each wave of Persians, the enemy will fire a volley of arrows into the Spartans. These will effectively destroy every Spartan hoplite, unless they cover themselves with their shields. Once again, Leonidas makes the decisions, so if he does not give the command 'Shields Up,' he and his men will be slaughtered. To simulate the shields being raised, every Spartan will be 'tasked to nowhere' giving the impression of the shields moving to a defensive position. The enemy they are fighting will lose AP, such that their attack drops to 1. Spartans can only auto heal in 'Shields Up,' while Leonidas automatically auto heals.

This command will also be implemented when the Persians use gunpowder. Another strategic use of this would be when fighting certain enemies who tire easily. While the Spartan shields are up, the enemy will use all of his strength, and when the Spartans go back into an aggressive stance, they will be able to defeat them with ease. Leonidas can move with his shield still up, and the enemy will not have a profound effect on him. He cannot do this forever, because the hoplites will eventually perish.

"Recover!"
Brings your men back into an aggressive stance from a 'Shields Up' position. Good timing is required with this, because if you do not recover in time, you will become fatally surrounded and have no chance of survival. You may recover at any time.

An exception to this rule is Leonidas. Since he is in the control of the player, and he can move during 'Shields Up.'

"Arcadians Attack!"
This command will launch the Arcadians into combat. This may only be used after the first day of fighting is over.

"Forward!"
This is another strategic move in which every one of your men pushes forward for 5 seconds, and then carries on with whatever they were doing.

"Pull Back!"
This is the same as 'Forward,' only your hoplites will pull back for 5 seconds, and then resume fighting. This is useful for drawing enemies into the line of fire of your Greek allies, who will hurl spears at the enemy when within range. This command can be used as many times as necessary to move your hoplites.

"To the Cliffs!"
This will bring all your men to the cliff's edge, bringing the enemy with them. While near the cliffs, the Persians, who are accustomed to fighting on open plains, will be afraid and start making more mistakes.

This is a good move to use against War Elephants. However, if there are too many Persians, this move will backfire and the Persians will be drawn to the Hot Gates rather than the cliffs and will quickly finish off your Greek allies.

"Hold!"
This command prevents your enemies from attacking and losing a strategic position. They will hold their position, but will also be vulnerable, for a few seconds.

"High Ground!"
This command tells your hoplites to scramble to reach the nearest high ground no matter where they are on the map. Every hoplite receives an attack boost for 25 seconds if enough of them make it to high ground. This wears off after 25 seconds.

You will face all of Xerxes' endless hordes, and your enemies will range in difficulty and size. As a general rule, every class of Persian soldier will tire, some faster than others. Knowing how to exploit their weaknesses will be key in the game.

Slaves
Xerxes will send his slaves into combat first. They fight against their will and will tire after little to no combat. Leonidas can let his men do what they want against them, for they pose no serious threat.

Men-at-Arms
This is the basic foot soldier of the Persian army. They will tire easily, so when you notice you you or your soldiers being surrounded, using the 'Shields Up' command will make the man-at-arms lose HP and attack as he futilely tries to stab through the thick hoplite shields. Once the hoplites 'Recover,' the men-at-arms will fall in seconds.

Immortals
The personal guard to King Xerxes himself, the Persian warrior elite. They will be slow, and will pack quite the punch. To defeat them, careful 'Pull Back' and 'Shields Up' commands will be needed with deadly timing. The tire slowly, so do not expect them to back down easily.

War Elephants
These beasts will be clumsy, so driving them to the cliff's edge will be the way to defeat them.

Heavy Cavalry Archers
They will be quick and so will their arrows. To defeat them, a Phalanx formation is recommended, along with 'Shields Up.' Also, being near your Greek allies will help.

Grenadiers
They will hurl grenades filled with explosives at your men. 'Shields Up' is required to defend against their gunpowder attack. To defeat them, their commander must be killed, which will require micromanagement on the player's part.

Commanders
Each wave of Persians will be led by a commander. He will stand out, and will stay behind the battle unless provoked. If he can be killed, his forces will lose morale and lose strength and will to fight. Some commanders can be killed, some are very difficult to kill, others can not be killed without risking much of Leonidas' HP. It is up to the player whether or not they decide to challenge them.

The Spartans do not fight alone. Also defending the Hot Gates are their Greek allies. Leonidas does not command them, but they are essential to your victory.

Spearmen
The spearmen will be posted behind the Spartans. When facing enemies such as Cavalry Archers and Elephants, they will be a big help.

Skirmishers
They are your only ranged units. They will hurl spears at the enemy when they come within the skirmisher's line of sight. Using 'Pull Back' will draw the enemy within range of them.

Arcadians
Infantry units wielding short swords. They are not the best warriors at your disposal, but they will do their part. They will not enter battle until commanded by Leonidas.

Other features will include:
Morale System
When your Spartan hoplites see their King Leonidas killing many Persians, they will receive morale boosts (+ HP and Attack). Additionally, if your Greek allies maintain a high kill ratio, they too will have boosts in morale.

Spartan Priests
After every day of fighting, your men will be tired and worn. Back at your camp, you will be healed by Priests. The Priests will also foretell your futures by performing sacrifices and reading other signs. The messages they bring will affect morale, and the messages will be different according to the results of the day. If the Greeks lost many men, or if the men are badly wounded (healing took too long), they will bring you ill news of what is to come.

Cutscenes
These will be lengthy and spread throughout the scenario, appearing before the battle, after each day of fighting. They will not be the same every time you play the game, because different results during the fighting will give you different cutscenes after the day is over.

'Unlocking' Your Spartans
If you achieve certain difficult feats in the game, you will be able to 'unlock' certain Spartans and will be able to control them along with Leonidas, and they will gain all of his attributes such as auto heal and ability to move during 'Shields Up.' 'Unlocking' your Spartans will be necessary to take out the more powerful enemy commanders.

You will be able to 'Unlock' a total of two additional Spartan hoplites.

Screenshots (From Version 1.1)

^In these screenshots, you can see the strategic use of 'High Ground' and 'Shields Up' against the rhino. Also, drawing the enemies into their own line of fire is an easy way to kill many of them.

Elephants; fight these next to the cliffs.

Hold the Hot Gates for three days, and the player will win. Once the fighting is done, a cutscene will follow. This will show the betrayal of the medeizing traitor Ephialtes leading the Immortals to the path that empties behind the Spartans. A heroic last stand will be shown, and the scenario will be over.

Playtesting Files:
The Hot Gates 1.1
Sound Pack 1.1 (Broken up into two files)

PLAYTESTERS
1. Rebel Troop
2. matthias3690
3. General_Short

That's it in a nutshell. Now I need some input, and some suggestions as to how this all can be made possible.

-BIHSting

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
... I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 10-13-2007 @ 01:19 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-07-07 03:26 AM CT (US)     1 / 138  
Some neat ideas there. Some of them might be hard to achieve, for example "Forward!" will give trouble when there are many Persians nearby.

Hussarknight
posted 07-07-07 03:31 AM CT (US)     2 / 138  
Wow, nice project. Btw you could submit whatever you did in LOTR to the blacksmith so that others could look at it?

Just a few questions:

For phalanx, is Leonidas going to be a little farther than 2-3 tiles from his men? Otherwise it doesn't make much difference.

And why do the persians have gunpowder ?!

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 07-07-07 04:38 AM CT (US)     3 / 138  
Seems nicey. But now that bloody Scud gonna come and ruin the entire thread screaming "you-know-what".

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 07-07-07 05:25 AM CT (US)     4 / 138  
But now that bloody Scud gonna come and ruin the entire thread screaming "you-know-what".
No you fool, I can't.

However, if you said, "But now that bloody Scud gonna come and ruin the entire thread, isn't this madness?", you know how I would reply.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 07-07-07 05:36 AM CT (US)     5 / 138  
Therefore the reason I said it: To avoid you screaming that. I win either way.

Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 07-07-07 05:36 AM CT (US)     6 / 138  
Madness?

This... Is... SCENARIO DESIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGN!!!!!!111o1neoneoneoneoneleventyone

Jesus Christ, that's the first time I've ever done it - and I want it back. D:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 07-07-07 06:52 AM CT (US)     7 / 138  
Oh crap. That was ... actually better...

posted 07-07-07 07:52 AM CT (US)     8 / 138  
Now I need some input, and some suggestions as to how this all can be made possible.
There you go.

I think it would be easiest to do the commands with a taunt-based system. Problem is that sometimes taunts won't work after the game has been saved and loaded.

Lag is going to cause trouble if all units are on the map all the time. I recommend creating a wave of Persians only when they are needed.

An introductory cutscene would be nice touch and might get the player more into the story.

Immortals
The personal guard to King Xerxes himself, the Persian warrior elite. They will be slow, and will pack quite the punch. To defeat them, careful 'Pull Back' and 'Shields Up' commands will be needed with deadly timing. The tire slowly, so do not expect them to back down easily.
leading the Immortals to the path
I take it that not all Immortals will die in the frontal attack on the Spartans?

And why do the persians have gunpowder ?!
The Persians have gunpowder in the movie "300", which this game is going to be based on.

I really hope to see this finished. Good luck!

Hussarknight
posted 07-07-07 10:06 AM CT (US)     9 / 138  
A Charge command would be nice

Trooper: Command Confirmed
posted 07-07-07 10:44 AM CT (US)     10 / 138  
Gunpowder in the Battle of Thermopylae?
*leaves thread*

posted 07-07-07 10:58 AM CT (US)     11 / 138  
WOW, that sounds neat!

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 07-07-07 02:36 PM CT (US)     12 / 138  
"Forward!" will give trouble when there are many Persians nearby.
This will simply send the hoplites into the Persian lines, which is advisable when the soldiers are weak. With stronger enemies, 'Pull Back' is advised.
For phalanx, is Leonidas going to be a little farther than 2-3 tiles from his men? Otherwise it doesn't make much difference.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, can you elaborate?
Btw you could submit whatever you did in LOTR to the blacksmith so that others could look at it?
Search 'Lord of the Rings' in the scenario design forum
I think it would be easiest to do the commands with a taunt-based system. Problem is that sometimes taunts won't work after the game has been saved and loaded.
The reason they won't work after the game has been saved and loaded is because the player who has that script becomes unchecked in the chat menu. Letting the player know this will be a simple work-around. I will definitely use taunt commands for this, seeing as I couldn't think of anything else.
Lag is going to cause trouble if all units are on the map all the time. I recommend creating a wave of Persians only when they are needed.

An introductory cutscene would be nice touch and might get the player more into the story.
Just what I was thinking.
I take it that not all Immortals will die in the frontal attack on the Spartans?
Right you are, also, not every Immortal will be dispatched the first time. About half will stay behind.
A Charge command would be nice
Precisely what 'Forward' is.

Added to Topic Post:
--------------------
-'Arcadians Attack!' and 'To the Cliffs!' commands
-Descriptions of the Greek Allies
-A whole new list of features

I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and everyday was as long as a life-age of the earth. But it was not the end. I've been sent back until my task is done...
posted 07-07-07 03:18 PM CT (US)     13 / 138  
Very good ideas here.

Another suggestion for a command, maybe "Cut them down!" as the name. You gain X AP for a minute or two, then lose a bit more for a minute or two.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 07-07-2007 @ 03:31 PM).]

posted 07-07-07 05:19 PM CT (US)     14 / 138  
Sounds Great!!

Good Luck!
posted 07-09-07 01:15 AM CT (US)     15 / 138  
I just got a new computer, so I can officially start designing! I will post screenshots as they come...

posted 07-09-07 03:55 AM CT (US)     16 / 138  
Hey BIHSting,

Good to see you're still around. Anyway the project is interesting with some potenially good and creative ideas. Best of luck!
posted 07-09-07 09:13 AM CT (US)     17 / 138  
When/if you want them, I volunteer as your first playtester...please!

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 07-09-07 10:58 AM CT (US)     18 / 138  
Frankly, I think this is too ambitious.

Aok wasn't designed to be a game you can play with one person. An RPG might be okay, but an FF controlling only 1 person is not very likely to be enjoyable.

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 07-09-07 02:43 PM CT (US)     19 / 138  
Frankly, I think this is too ambitious.
Ambitious is my middle name. But seriously, I think I can make it work.
When/if you want them, I volunteer as your first playtester...please!
Absolutly, I'll need testers in about a month.

Alright, I finally got something done on this project. In short, the ideas work well, but have some flaws.

The Phalanx is designed so when the Spartans get near Leonidas (bring object to object), the stop moving, so they don't simply crowd around him, restricting his movement. The result is a loosely formed group, which, although it does what I wanted, it could be a little tighter. Any ideas how this can be achieved?

Shields Up and Recover are almost perfect. The timing is good, and the look is excellent. However, I need to figure out a better way to keep the Spartans protected during Shields Up. The 50 HP isn't working quite as well as I expected, because it allows the player to get HP indefinatly. For instance, all one has to do is use the command several times to add several hundred HP to their units. How do I avoid this? I was thinking of Unit invincability rather than adding 50 HP, but I want the HP bar to return to the way it was before the command. Any suggestions? I was thinking deteriorating the attack if the command was used too many times, ie deducting 5 AP each time it's used as a way to balance it out. Any ideas here?

posted 07-09-07 02:57 PM CT (US)     20 / 138  
For the Phalanx, have the Object to Object trigger activate another one set to timer 1 (or whatever) and make that second trigger the one that stops their movement.

For shields up, reduce the enemy attack by a big number (say, 300) instead of adding health to your men. It might work even better if you have them hero-ized at the same time.

EDIT: Also, if we're going to have to nanny every single on of the Spartans it might be nice to have an ability to move the more wounded ones to the back. Maybe if they're selected and a certain taunt is used?

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 07-09-2007 @ 03:00 PM).]

posted 07-09-07 03:36 PM CT (US)     21 / 138  
For the Phalanx, have the Object to Object trigger activate another one set to timer 1 (or whatever) and make that second trigger the one that stops their movement.

For shields up, reduce the enemy attack by a big number (say, 300) instead of adding health to your men. It might work even better if you have them hero-ized at the same time.
Some excellent ideas, I will definatly use them! If I reduce the attack to 1, and then back up to whatever it was, this means I have to make seperate effects for every possible type of enemy one fights during shields up, correct?

Also, making them heal during the shields up is a great idea, because as of now there is no way to detect if the hoplites are in Phalanx or not. I will change the rule that hoplites heal in Phalanx to Shields Up.
EDIT: Also, if we're going to have to nanny every single on of the Spartans it might be nice to have an ability to move the more wounded ones to the back. Maybe if they're selected and a certain taunt is used?
Also a good idea, but it presents some problems. Since every taunt controls every hoplite, the hoplites will be moved back into position if I use another taunt after the 'Wounded to back' taunt. I'd like this idea if I could make it happen, but as of now, Leonidas has to watch the HP of every one of his soldiers, and use shields up if he wants them healed.

Another thing for Shields Up, for each time it's used, 1 AP is deducted from their initial 30, simulating the swords becoming dull. This will be countered by the morale boosts that the Spartans will recieve, so a player must do well in battle to 'keep their swords sharp.'

One more thing before I go:
The tiring system is working very well. There is a 1 damage effect set on a timer, the shorter the timer, the quicker the units tire out. I finished the slave battle, and the closer they get to the hoplites, the more tired the slaves become, which is good cause as slaves, they will not neccesarily want to fight for Xerxes. They do not need to actually be in the battle, but even if they are running toward the Spartans, they lose HP. For tougher, more resilient enemies, there will need to be a certain number of enemy units in an area before the HP loss begins.

Now it's back to the drawing board, and I'll keep you posted on what's to come...

posted 07-09-07 03:38 PM CT (US)     22 / 138  
Are Mod packs going to be used?

posted 07-09-07 03:43 PM CT (US)     23 / 138  
No. Actually, I might make one way after this is finished, but that's thinking way ahead, which can only be detrimental to the project. As of now, the scenario will be designed without mods, but with the possibility of them in the future.

posted 07-09-07 08:21 PM CT (US)     24 / 138  
the scenario will be designed without mods,
Excellent! I don't play-test moded games.

posted 07-10-07 04:51 PM CT (US)     25 / 138  
Here's what I've got done:

Phalanx
Shields Up (with a good HP system to boot)
Recover
Battle with slaves
First Volley of Arrows

posted 07-11-07 10:32 AM CT (US)     26 / 138  

'Shields Up' command in use. ^

posted 07-11-07 11:23 AM CT (US)     27 / 138  
Aok wasn't designed to be a game you can play with one person. An RPG might be okay, but an FF controlling only 1 person is not very likely to be enjoyable.
My Huidin's Belief was one such game, and it got a average score of 4.4. Fairly good for me. Especially since it was made during my ubern00b times.

posted 07-11-07 11:27 AM CT (US)     28 / 138  
'Shields Up' command in use
Er.. where are the enemies
My Huidin's Belief was one such game, and it got a average score of 4.4. Fairly good for me. Especially since it was made during my ubern00b times
When typing that, Huidin's Belief was the first thing that sprang to my mind. But no other

`
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 07-11-07 12:28 PM CT (US)     29 / 138  
Er.. where are the enemies
Arrows... which brings me to my next point. What I did was make invisible tiles on either side of the pass. Then I filled them with Longbowmen, whose ranges were changed to 50 using genied2. This can be good at times, such as when the archers are firing arrows at many hoplites. Sometimes, however, they pick out 4-5 and just attack them, which doesn't look as good.

My plan for the future (however long this may take) is to make a POREX on every other square in the pass. Instead of Persians attacking the individual soldiers, they shower that area with arrows, and damage is done to the soldiers through triggers. This is a much better effect, the only problem is that it will take forever...

posted 07-11-07 02:31 PM CT (US)     30 / 138  
Then I filled them with Longbowmen, whose ranges were changed to 50 using genied2
Would that mean that this will come with an edited data file?

Hussarknight
posted 07-11-07 11:52 PM CT (US)     31 / 138  
Would that mean that this will come with an edited data file?
Realizing that an edited data file would cause problems for some people, I decided against data editing. Through some careful unit placement and technologies, I made every archer who will fire on the Spartans able to reach them with their arrows.

Furthermore, I actually made the POREX in every other square, and the effect is hundreds of times better. The area is showered with arrows and the hoplites are damaged through triggers, meaning that they will not lose any HP during the volley. Before, since I could not control how much damage was done, the Spartans took minimal damage, and quickly recovered, which was sloppy. This effect, though time-consuming, was well worth it.

Screenshots are up!

Some additional notes on progress:
-So far, I've finished the first day of fighting, and I've only begun work on the extensive morale system.
-Cutscenes are starting to develop, and if Leonidas gets enough kills during the first day, another hoplite named 'Stelios' will fight alongside him.
-The Arcadians have posted up and are ready for their next task.
-The Men-at-Arms can be greatly weakened if Leonidas is brave enough to run through hundreds of Persians to kill their commander. I've tried this and it's quite fun. Shields Up works very good in this one, as I predicted.
-Pulling back is good if you want to involve the Greeks into battle, and I haven't found a good use for staggered formation, since it doesn't provide much. Unless anyone really wants it in there, it's being taken out.
-Forward is a good one when you want to give chase to a retreating enemy to get more kills in there, and for maneuvering your men.
-I can get audio files from the movie of famous quotes, so whenever possible, I'm using direct quotes from the film.

[This message has been edited by BIHSting (edited 07-12-2007 @ 02:53 AM).]

posted 07-12-07 00:49 AM CT (US)     32 / 138  
Looks Sounds great I would totally download!

Btw I say sounds, because of the fact that AOL Controls block the screen shots.

Keep it up

-Ultima

~Living in Heaven Scince 2006~
No longer a stupid Freshmen - Now a foolish Sophmore
posted 07-12-07 03:07 AM CT (US)     33 / 138  
Every thinks sounding good and stuff, but I hate to sound mean but the map design is lacking. You should use more elevation and maybe not have every think so straight and add some more objects like rocks, stone mines or trees.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 07-12-07 05:45 AM CT (US)     34 / 138  
I assume the map design is work in progress.

If I were you I'd keep the staggered formation. Use it as an aggressive formation while phalanx is defensive. In staggered formation add a couple of attack (excuse: more room to fight) and in phalanx take away a couple of attack and add health (excuse: defensive position, but not as easy to fight when crowded together).

Earlier you asked about the negative attack change. The nice thing is after reducing the attack to 1 the computer still remembers the actual numbers. This means that if you reduce the attack by 300 and then increase it by 300 it works perfectly.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 07-12-07 11:53 AM CT (US)     35 / 138  
but I hate to sound mean but the map design is lacking. You should use more elevation and maybe not have every think so straight and add some more objects like rocks, stone mines or trees.
The map design is fine as it is, it fits the environment perfectly. Map design isn't an obligation to add unneeded objects that won't fit the environment; it should make the place look realistic, utilizing only what is necessary. Less is more.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 07-12-2007 @ 11:55 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » "This is Sparta!"
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames