Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Making Triggers Work in Multiplayer
posted 04-10-11 09:20 PM CT (US)   
Hello, new guy here.

I have been trying to create Story missions on the Scenario Editor that would work well with cooperative play, but I haven't been able to make it work Triggers.

Please help?

Thank you...

[This message has been edited by LtSurge (edited 04-16-2011 @ 10:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-11-11 01:26 AM CT (US)     1 / 36  
I'm not quite clear what you're asking. If you're asking whether triggers work on multiplayer, then yes they do. The difficulty of implementing those triggers depends on what you're trying to do.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-11-11 03:19 AM CT (US)     2 / 36  
I have to say your username is quite confusing.
posted 04-11-11 06:55 AM CT (US)     3 / 36  
Yes. Seems to clash.
posted 04-11-11 10:14 AM CT (US)     4 / 36  
How does it seem to clash?

So Triggers CAN work in Multiplayer?

Well, I'm trying to do something simple first. Trying to change the HP and Attack values of Hero characters at the beginning of the scenario, and a couple of ships are "Killed".
posted 04-11-11 10:43 AM CT (US)     5 / 36  
Have you had success with making those triggers?

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-11-11 01:54 PM CT (US)     6 / 36  
Try making 2 triggers, both triggers having different source players, one for Player 1 and another one for Player 2.
posted 04-11-11 04:26 PM CT (US)     7 / 36  
Yes, I've had success making one Trigger work with eight different Effects.

These are the Effects that worked under one Trigger/Condition:

-Change Object HP
-Change Object Attack
-Change Object Name
(Done twice for two Hero Characters, I made Kitabitake be renamed to Vegeta and changed his Attack to 9001.)

-Kill Object
(Done twice for two WAR BOATs.)

Condition: Select Object (WAR BOATs).

Hope that helps...

And I don't think I need to create two Triggers for two Players but I will try that later. Thx!
posted 04-12-11 10:55 AM CT (US)     8 / 36  
Triggers do work in multiplayer, but each player needs 1 trigger each. So you have the source player changed, otherwise it would all happen for Host (Player 1)
posted 04-12-11 11:17 AM CT (US)     9 / 36  
So the only way to test this would be to test WITH another player?
posted 04-14-11 01:25 AM CT (US)     10 / 36  
The triggers will still work in the scenario editor. You just have to make each trigger multiple times and have a different source player for each of them.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-14-11 11:05 PM CT (US)     11 / 36  
Thank you again for your advice... I will find out tomorrow if it works.

EDIT:

I can't update and bring this topic up with a post from today 'cause it doesn't want me to double post ):<

Anyway, it doesn't work... I made two Triggers for the same map objects and now I can't even access the map without my screen freezing! WTF! My map is ruined!

[This message has been edited by LtSurge (edited 04-15-2011 @ 10:21 PM).]

posted 04-16-11 00:38 AM CT (US)     12 / 36  
Coming in new here but, have you read the FAQ?

Where exactly is your game freezing? What did you do to make it freeze? Does it freeze completely forever?

There are some objects that can not be targetted by triggers, the game may even crash, who knows.

Did you use aokts to edit it?

So much information that we don't have to help you. =/

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest
posted 04-16-11 10:10 AM CT (US)     13 / 36  
Alright, I set two Triggers for two Players:

Trigger 0 -
Condition 0 - Select Object 1 (War Galley 1)
Effect 0 - Change Object HP (Hero Unit 1)
Effect 1 - Change Object Attack (Hero Unit 1)
Effect 2 - Change Object Name (Hero Unit 1)

Trigger 2 -
Condition 0 - Select Object 2 (Galleon 1)
Effect 0 - Change Object HP (Hero Unit 2)
Effect 1 - Change Object Attack (Hero Unit 2)
Effect 2 - Change Object Name (Hero Unit 2)

Trigger 3 -
Condition - Select Object 1 and 2
Effect - Kill Object 1 and 2

----
It's possible that one or two of the Triggers were conflicting with each other...

Everything seemed to do fine, however, until I decided to Test it. Then the screen froze and I was staring at a black nothingness for ten minutes.

I do a Hard Reset (Power Button) on my laptop and go back to AoK Menu. Then I select the Map Editor and try to open my Scenario but the screen just goes back to black nothingness!
posted 04-17-11 03:59 AM CT (US)     14 / 36  
Most of my scenario crashes with triggers have been caused by not selecting units well. To through the conditions and effects and click on the "Go to object" button to see what unit(s) are selected. If any of them are incorrect, erase the condition/effect, unselect all units, and remake the condition or effect.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-17-11 06:41 AM CT (US)     15 / 36  
Yeah. The game will crash if large numbers (300+) objects are affected by a single trigger. In everyday designing, that means making sure you haven't got a trigger set to gaia. Sadly, this is the default. You just need to check all of your triggers.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 04-20-11 10:08 PM CT (US)     16 / 36  
Well, I cannot even edit the Scenario because every time I try to open it into the Editor my screen freezes!...
posted 04-21-11 00:39 AM CT (US)     17 / 36  
Did you use aokts to edit it?
If so, open your file with aokts, make a copy of the file, and then delete all of the units/objects that have been placed in the map up to a time when the map was stable. Try it.

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest

[This message has been edited by Dtrungle (edited 04-21-2011 @ 00:40 AM).]

posted 04-21-11 02:17 AM CT (US)     18 / 36  
I would remove all or most of the triggers first and see if that works. Then, removing the units would be my next thing to do.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-21-11 10:07 AM CT (US)     19 / 36  
Alright, I will try...
posted 04-21-11 10:25 AM CT (US)     20 / 36  
Well, I cannot even edit the Scenario because every time I try to open it into the Editor my screen freezes!...
Sounds like you placed some units at an illegal (for the game that is) spot. It's already been asked, but did you edit your scenario with TS? And did you move or place any units with it?
posted 04-21-11 07:04 PM CT (US)     21 / 36  
Nah, I had no idea what TS was until just now.

I DID place land units on Shallows that I placed in an Ocean that I made out the Water palette in the Editor, but idk if that's "illegal".

The freezing only started after I added the newest triggers...

EDIT:

I've been able to use Trigger Studio (getting tired of acronyms) to delete the Triggers and start from scratch on them... thank you for the suggestions. I will retry getting this to work.

[This message has been edited by LtSurge (edited 04-22-2011 @ 02:10 AM).]

posted 04-22-11 04:49 PM CT (US)     22 / 36  
You do have to know one thing, which I find odd nobody else has mentioned before.

Some Triggers don't work in multiplayer

The condition 'Object Selected' is one of them. It only works in single player. Also, why would you change the hp, AP and name only after someone selected it? If you look quick, you can see it all changing. Without a good reason for that condition, I'd just let that trigger have no condition at all, so it changes from the start. Or have a timer condition.

Another thing about changing hp/ap. Don't go over 30.000, cause that's the limit I thought. If you go over it, the unit instantly dies. You can get beyond that limit by using negative damage triggers (for HP) by using TS.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Retired, old and senile.

Thread Destroyer of April 09 - Popeychops
I was jealous of your guitars at first. Now I'm jealous of your awesome room. Jerk. :(
And it's on a friggin towel? so you're WIPING YOURSELF DOWN WITH SEXY WOMEN AFTER SHOWERS?! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER OF AWESOME DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? - Aro
posted 04-22-11 06:38 PM CT (US)     23 / 36  
Well, I've been here for a couple weeks but thank you!

I didn't know there was a way to set the game start as the Condition :/ I figured that feature HAD to exist in the Editor somehow... though I have pondered as to why it wasn't easy to find. Thank you.

Heh yeah, I experimented on some Triggers and it turns out that despite the fact I can address up to 10000000 as a value, after 999999 for HP the unit dies. TOO MUCH HEALTH!

I didn't know there was an AP Ceiling, though. I will remember that.
posted 04-23-11 02:06 AM CT (US)     24 / 36  
I think that ceiling is probably 32,768. It's a common maximum value for an integer in data calculations. The game can compute a value higher than that, so either the unit dies or the game crashes.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-23-11 12:20 PM CT (US)     25 / 36  
Why do you think that is? And is it possible to optimize the game for that?
posted 04-23-11 03:06 PM CT (US)     26 / 36  
Why do you think that is? And is it possible to optimize the game for that?
The games been out for over 10 years and it's still an obvious limit, what do you think?
posted 04-25-11 02:25 AM CT (US)     27 / 36  
I can't very well interpret what you're asking.
posted 04-25-11 04:58 AM CT (US)     28 / 36  
It was not a question. The game has been out for more than 10 years now. The number is very obvious because of how the game is written.
posted 04-25-11 05:26 AM CT (US)     29 / 36  
I think a lot of AoK's code was stored and calculated in four-digit hexadecimal code. That gives a range of values from 0 to 65536 (16^4). In order to allow negative integers, the range of values usually goes from -32768 to 32768 instead.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 04-25-11 11:08 PM CT (US)     30 / 36  
So you're telling me that Age of Empires code cannot be rewritten by an expert Programmer or something to optimize it?

[This message has been edited by LtSurge (edited 04-25-2011 @ 11:08 PM).]

posted 04-26-11 00:13 AM CT (US)     31 / 36  
It would probably involve editing the exe, and if the resulting exe could be downloaded and the game could be played without the CD, then it would be illegal here. It would essentially be a no-CD crack.

Pretty much any file that comes with the game could be legally edited as long as the game still required the CD, but that probably wouldn't achieve the effect of raising that maximum number in order to optimize the game.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 04-26-2011 @ 00:14 AM).]

posted 04-26-11 11:16 AM CT (US)     32 / 36  
So basically, because it is illegal to do so, we can't do it ourselves?

...IhaveanoCDversionofthegame...
posted 04-26-11 12:28 PM CT (US)     33 / 36  
...IhaveanoCDversionofthegame...
This can get you banned you know. Did you really read the CoC?
posted 04-26-11 01:26 PM CT (US)     34 / 36  
Stop asking dumb questions.
posted 04-26-11 01:58 PM CT (US)     35 / 36  
posted 04-27-11 02:34 AM CT (US)     36 / 36  
Why would you propose to do something that is illegal?

Just in case you don't understand why this is serious:

The game is a possession of Microsoft, and when you get a no-CD crack, or any other free version of the game, you are robbing Microsoft of the money they would've earned from selling it. Those that are distributing free versions of the game are violating the law. The only time the exe can be legally edited and distributed is when it requires the CD to be installed, so Microsoft isn't robbed of any money.

Understand that we aren't angry with you as a person. Age of Kings Heaven and HG as a whole just doesn't tolerate illegal activity (for a good reason). Once you have bought the real version of the game, we would gladly invite you to participate in the forums.

This thread is now closed.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 04-27-2011 @ 02:37 AM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Making Triggers Work in Multiplayer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames