You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AOKH Survivor
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 82  Next Page »
posted 10-16-11 07:53 PM CT (US)   
AOKH Survivor

How it works

You sign up. In each round, a challenge is set. You complete the challenge. The owner of the worst entry is eliminated. The last forummer to remain in the game is declared the Survivor.

The Rules

It is now too late to sign up, sorry. Every player has one "bye" - a free pass for one round of their choosing (not including the final round). You don't need to state when you are using your bye; if you do not submit an entry in time, your bye will be used.♦

If you enter a round but are eliminated, you then join the judging panel. If you fail to submit an entry and have used your bye, you are eliminated but you will not be eligible to join the judging panel.♥

In each round, the entries will be judged by the judging panel. The judging criteria will be made public within this thread, so you'll have a good idea of how to succeed.♣

The prize is a very impressive and shiny Custom Title, courtesy of Leif Ericson♠

The Judging Panel
NowhereT
Herr Elessar
BSU_DoLhadeS
Coldviper
DraconainDevil
Dead_End
Scragins
Popeychops
Jetkill Fastmurder
Vinyl
Mole
CarolKarine

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of past rounds can be found by scrolling through the thread...sorry there are so many pages..!

Round One
Write a limerick or a haiku

Round Two
Make an origami masterpiece

Round Three
"Internet Explorer": Work out where all 20 of these places are.

Round Four
Popularity: Get forummers to vote for you to stay in the competition.

Round Five
Scavenger hunt: Assemble as many as you can of the listed items into one photo.

Round Six
Persuasion: Write an anonymous letter to persuade the judges to vote for your survival.

Round Seven
Fast Castle: Build a castle in Age of Kings as quickly as you can.

Round Eight
Youtube: Submit a video and the judges vote for their favourite.

Round Nine
Model Making Mayhem

Round Ten
The Semi Final - Masterchef

THE FINAL

For the final, Major Helper and Watson will be racing against each other to submit the correct answers to a set of six puzzles. You may submit your answers either by email (closet.hippy(at)gmail(dot)com) or within the thread - but bear in mind, if you submit in the thread and get anything wrong, the other player may hijack your answers! You win when you get all six answers correct.

The puzzles vary in style and difficulty but you must get all of the answers correct in order to win and claim the prize of a Custom Title, courtesy of Leif Ericson. If you submit an incorrect answer, I will tell you which answer(s) you have got wrong and you may try again. There is no deadline; the round closes once one player gets all the answers correct - they are then declared the Survivor.

Puzzle One

The King is hosting a large party. So large, in fact, that he has 1000 bottles of wine to cater for his guests. However, some scallywag has poisoned one (and only one) bottle of the wine. Naturally, it would be disastrous to serve poisoned wine to the guests - and it is too late to replace it all because the party is tomorrow. Fortunately, the King has servants at his disposal; if a servant consumes even the slightest trace of the poison, he will die a few hours before the party - giving you time to remove the poisoned bottle before your guests arrive. Your servants are not indispensable, however; you must use as few servants as possible and yet be absolutely certain which bottle is the poisoned one. How many servants do you need and how do you find the poisoned bottle?

Your answer should include the number of servants and the method you would employ to find the dodgy bottle. Any method that works is acceptable (eg. use 1000 servants) but the most efficient answer (i.e. the fewest servants used) is preferable.

Puzzle Two

2: Harold
3: Edward
5: Harold
7: James

What's next? Why?

Your answer should be a number and a name. You should give the reason behind your logic. Google may help here.

Puzzle Three

This puzzle is in two parts: The first line can be decoded to give a clue towards the second part. The solution to the second puzzle is your answer.

(Part i): 843153996731471843134448413536368

(Part ii): Fclhcja'q ruk cilkqrepq.

Your answer should be easy to find once you have solved Part ii.

Puzzle Four

What has it got in its pocketses?

Puzzle Five

It came between Time and Money. What was it?

Clue: 39 years ago

Puzzle Six

William the Conqueror is BAGG. Who is BEJC?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Entrants
Major Helper
Watson
Ser Periagil Eliminated (Third place)
CarolKarine Eliminated
Mole Eliminated
Vinyl Eliminated
Jetkill Fastmurder Eliminated
Popeychops Eliminated
Scragins Eliminated
DraconainDevil Eliminated
Coldviper Eliminated
Dead_End Eliminated
Mashek Inactive
Dannflor Inactive
Guard of Osiris Inactive

PS Inspiration for this game

Links to earlier rounds: 1 (no link - "Write a limerick or a haiku"), 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 02-11-2012 @ 09:22 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-22-11 11:07 PM CT (US)     126 / 2032  
What happens if all 3 of you vote out a different person?
Three words. Rock. Paper. Scissors.

[This message has been edited by Mashek (edited 10-22-2011 @ 11:08 PM).]

posted 10-22-11 11:19 PM CT (US)     127 / 2032  
I'm sure it won't come to that.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
posted 10-23-11 04:37 AM CT (US)     128 / 2032  
Herr's and my choices correlate, just waiting on Hades now.

The deadline has now passed; you may all breathe a sigh of relief since there is nothing you can do to change your fate. If I don't hear from Hades in the next few hours then I'm prepared to say majority rules since Herr and I agree.

Get ready for round two: You will need a sheet of paper, a pen and a camera.

My camera is not a hello kitty camera.

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
posted 10-23-11 05:38 AM CT (US)     129 / 2032  
I DEMAND TEH RESULTS!!!!

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.

Stop playing so erotic, dammit! - theferret
Well, that's like wanting to get raped by a nine-inch dick instead of a ten-inch. - Moff
I was being stupid. - Herr
posted 10-23-11 05:40 AM CT (US)     130 / 2032  
I'd prefer to give Hades a few hours, otherwise it'd be totally pointless appointing him as a judge

Once it gets to 12PM forum time I'll announce regardless of whether he's replied to my email.

posted 10-23-11 06:55 AM CT (US)     131 / 2032  
My camera is not a hello kitty camera.
LIES.

Looking forward to the next round.

EDIT: Herr I've already added you on GameRanger (Mance Rayder); just haven't been able to catch you online yet.

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 10-23-2011 @ 07:10 AM).]

posted 10-23-11 07:03 AM CT (US)     132 / 2032  
Nice paper.I will take it!
Nice pen.I will take it!
Nice camera.I WONT take it!!

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
()()()()()()DRACONIANDEVIL()()()()()()
posted 10-23-11 07:11 AM CT (US)     133 / 2032  
EDIT: Herr I've already added you on GameRanger (Mance Rayder); just haven't been able to catch you online yet.
He was on this morning, but unfortunately, I had to go in a wedding.
posted 10-23-11 07:24 AM CT (US)     134 / 2032  
Results are in

The decision was unanimous:
Coldviper
You have been evicted, please leave the Big Brother House.
Eliminated

Thy
Two thirds of your entry was found elsewhere online. You may stay in the game but you have now lost your bye.

The judges had differing favourites: My favourite was Popeychops, followed by Mashek and Watson. Herr liked Mole, followed by Popeychops and Watson. Hades favoured Mashek. The judges' favourites don't count for anything, but feel free to give yourselves a pat on the back!

Feedback: I've put this in ludicrously small font at the bottom of the thread because otherwise you'll have to scroll for half an hour. If you want to read it, copy and paste it elsewhere. The feedback is fairly minimal and on my behalf, I'm terrible at English so don't take any criticism to heart

Round 2

Origami!

In this round, you must make something out of paper.

You may not use glue, you may not use tape, you may not use staples, you may not use blue tack or any equivalent. You shouldn't really be using scissors other than to cut the paper to size to begin, but this is tricky to police so I'll probably let you off.

To submit an entry
You must write, somewhere on the outside of your origami masterpiece, the words "AOKH Survivor" and your forum name. You must then take TWO photos of the entry, both clearly showing the writing. This is to avoid anyone photoshopping a photo from the net and claiming it as their own. You must then upload the photos somewhere online and either link them (like this) or paste them in the thread (like this: )

Judging criteria:
Being creative is good. There are enough origami cranes in the world
Try to be precise. A sloppy fold can really affect the end result, and if you call this a flower then you won't be scoring highly♦
Being relevant is awesome. AoK has knights and samurai so you'll get bonus points if you try these bad boys♦
Be resourceful. There is a cornucopia of helpful sites out there.♦

The deadline is Midnight (forum time) Saturday 29th October 2011

CarolKarine:
NT: I thought this was based on a weak pun and the rhyming doesn't work very well.
HE: Yeah, the rhyming's pretty bad, but I thought he got the obscenity part that is key to a good limerick (according to Wikipedia) pretty much spot on, so its definitely not the worst one out there.

Major Helper:
NT: This is more like it. The image of dancing leaves is evocative of autumn to me. It feels too short though, like there was no conclusion. That's probably because I didn't quite get the "truth in a raindrop" bit though.
HE: There doesn't seem to be some sort of comparison between the two images though, implicit or not. The use of a season word and the syllable count seems to be covered though. On the imagery part I think it does a pretty good job of painting the perfect autumn day. I don't know either where "truth" comes in though, but it's still pretty good IMO.

Dead_End:
NT: Light-hearted, but bonus points for making it relevant to the thread.
HE: I liked it, it does a good job of being both relevant and true to being a limerick. "Prior - retire" might seem odd depending on how you pronounce retire, but the rhymes otherwise work perfectly so this one is good for me.

Mayank Sharma:
NT: Not great, but given stroke's history I was glad to see him attempt a theme rather than just throwing words together. Again the rhyme doesn't quite work though.
HE: Didn't really like this one because it doesn't seem to refer to anything specific beyond the Harry Potter universe and just seems to be really pointless overall. "Turner - Governor" wouldn't be perfect for most pronunciations although I can see why it would rhyme for him. Its not too bad but the lack of a specific theme places it pretty close to the bottom for me.

Watson:
NT: Surprisingly impressed with this one. I don't know if Watson's been reading something; it feels like he's alluding to a separate story. Or maybe that's just what poetry is
HE: Love this one, paints the perfect image of one of those never-ending roads that you come across in desktop wallpapers. The simplicity of the theme on the face of it and the fact that the further you evaluate it the more depth it seems to gain makes it pretty good.

Mashek:
NT: I like this. I don't know how old Mashek is in real life, but judging by this poem it looks like he's feeling old! I can definitely relate to the feeling of time melting away slowly but irreversibly.
HE: Much like Watson's haiku, the imagery is pretty vivid when you consider it. You can imagine exactly what he is referring to explicitly and what the implicit meaning is, making it pretty much a perfect haiku. The only failing, and I know that this will sound crazy
but I'll say it anyway, is that the implicit meaning is too obvious. It reveals pretty much everything you want to know, while a good haiku doesn't do that.

Dannflor: A bit tame, but I guess it's good that he made it relevant?
HE: I don't think its really relevant. Plus there's a grammatical error in there. :P Points for making it something we all can relate to though. Definitely could be better.

Thy:
NT: Decided to discount this entry. I don't really think much of the poem anyway.
HE: Tribute or not, you can't ignore that 67% of that haiku is borrowed. Something original but based on that My Little Pony thing could've been way better. Definitely down at the bottom for me.

Mole:
NT: Quite a strong statement! Makes you think though.
HE: This is my favorite because I have a particular affinity for flaming fireballs that destroy stuff. :P But yeah the last line definitely does lend depth to the entire thing and makes it much better than it already was. Best of the lot for me.

Scragins:
NT: This is what I expected to be entered; a simple, well-constructed limerick. The rose/rows bit is strange though.
HE: This is quite relevant and pretty decent too, but it doesn't quite have the emotional depth that some of the others do, nor is it very humorous. Also, "size-eyes-advise" isn't exactly perfect on the "rhymometer" and neither is "rose-rows" as you said.

Popeychops:
NT: My personal favourite. Kind of a love poem but without being dickish about it.
HE: If this is your favorite then obviously you currently have some sort of a love interest too. :P But no, I agree that that is pretty good. Plenty of emotional depth there too and the last line adds that melancholic air that pretty much every good love poem needs.

Abhaas Periagil:
NT: Like Scragins' entry, this is relevant to the thread, well-constructed and the last line alone makes this a nice entry IMO.
HE: It is well-constructed and full points on being accurate with the Huskarls v Longbowmen thing, but if you read the first two lines in isolation they don't really make much sense. Also full points for the last line, definitely added a lot there. The rhymes work well too.

Boukary:
NT: Again, a relevant and light-hearted limerick. I like that he included mentions of forummers, adds that personal touch
HE: I'm slightly tired by now of writing stuff so I'll just go with what you said.

DraconainDevil:
NT: I didn't think anything much of this one; it didn't seem to say anything other than sounding like a cheap advert with a bit of innuendo thrown in.
HE: Well Limericks are supposed to be all about the obscenity so I'll give him a pass for that. The last line could have been ever so slightly better but otherwise the rhymes work well and it is good enough.

Coldviper:
NT: This seemed to me like an entry just because he wanted to enter. No thought seems to have gone into it.
HE: Lol. That's pretty prophetic though, this definitely won't be winning anything.

Hades: I like Masheks most, its small, simple and has a clear meaning. My least favourite is clearly ColdVipers, he obviously put little/no effort into constructing that. I like Major Helpers, his isn't the strongest contender, but his is well constructed and has a meaning. He has made it work in two languages, which is quite impressive. I would say there are no clear faults, however he should work more on the meaning.

posted 10-23-11 07:35 AM CT (US)     135 / 2032  
Reply to the comments:
Thanks guyz i hope i will do better this time!!

ORIGAMI.....YYYYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

My favourate!!

posted 10-23-11 07:35 AM CT (US)     136 / 2032  
Hey NowhereT, you are the 1337!

I can't make anything better than a tipy tipy tap.
posted 10-23-11 07:41 AM CT (US)     137 / 2032  
Origami eh ?

Oh boy, I suck at handicrafts.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
posted 10-23-11 07:42 AM CT (US)     138 / 2032  
Also can i decorate it....
you know with glitter or something else...which defines
my work of art deeply...

Also by writing AoKH survivor and forum name do you mean that
it should be written on the art piece...and be visible in
the photo?

posted 10-23-11 07:44 AM CT (US)     139 / 2032  
Oh boy, I suck at handicrafts
posted 10-23-11 07:52 AM CT (US)     140 / 2032  
No glitter/colouring in please, it'll be easier to see the origami itself without all that.

Yeah so if you wrote "AOKH Survivor: DraconainDevil" somewhere on the finished piece and took two different photos of it, it'll be obvious that you haven't cheated and we can count it as a legitimate entry

I was gentle on Thy for copying lines from elsewhere; I won't be lenient from now on. You cheat, you're out*.

*If we catch you.

posted 10-23-11 08:02 AM CT (US)     141 / 2032  
OK atleast a bit of detailing with sketch pen?

posted 10-23-11 08:05 AM CT (US)     142 / 2032  
The round is an origami round. Decoration won't improve your score, but if it obscures the origami we're trying to judge, you may lose points.

Also, Coldviper - I've put you as a judge, that cool?

posted 10-23-11 08:07 AM CT (US)     143 / 2032  
Thanks for the comments, you two!
Oh boy, I suck at handicrafts
posted 10-23-11 08:08 AM CT (US)     144 / 2032  
Okay then...but you might want to still
check out this FlyingDutchman

Though i will be replacing it some time later with a non-decorated one.

posted 10-23-11 08:10 AM CT (US)     145 / 2032  
Awesome start, I'll stick it in the OP as your entry but I'll keep an eye out in case you decide to update it.

posted 10-23-11 08:17 AM CT (US)     146 / 2032  
So is this entry fine since i have detailed it...only then can
i decide to update it.

posted 10-23-11 08:21 AM CT (US)     147 / 2032  
Yeah it's a perfectly valid entry. If you wish to update it with one where the origami is more clear then that's your call, nothing will be final until the deadline.

posted 10-23-11 08:32 AM CT (US)     148 / 2032  
Question: Are we allowed to include just one origami figure in the photo?
posted 10-23-11 08:42 AM CT (US)     149 / 2032  
I see no reason why not to allow more. Make sure the quality doesn't suffer though

posted 10-23-11 08:45 AM CT (US)     150 / 2032  
Never mind. I've decided that six shurikens onscreen aren't worth it.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 82  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » AOKH Survivor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames