You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMPlayer's cinematic tips
posted 25 November 2004 03:07 PM EDT (US)   
Hi all,

I thought I'd provide some tips on good cinematics because so many people still make not too good cinematics in their scns. For basic knowledge go here, read about how you create a nice atmosphere here. Feel free to add your own, or, if I forgot some, please post them! Most of them are incredibly easy to realise, so here we go:

-Never show the border of the map
-Use "Render Fog/Black Map" OFF/OFF (ON/ON when the cin ends!)
-Never show the black space beneath the sky
-Make your intro cin correctly skippable without "Abort Cinematic"
-Use "Set Obscured Units" OFF (ON again when the cin ends!)
-And for ingame cins (except battle scenes) use "Block All Sounds" ("Unblock ..."). Or use "Player Set Active" and change the active player to a virtually non-existent player
-For ingame ones, too: Use "Unit Clear Selection" from the new X triggers to get rid of unit waypoints in the cin
-If you want to direct a unit to a certain spot, but the unit doesn't always walk there properly, make a looped trigger like this:
C: Distance to Unit/Point < desired
E: Move to Unit/Point
Don't forget to disable it when it's necessary.
-Use music and sound effects ("Sound Filename")
-Use fade to colour effects to make cuts or to flash the screen
-Use cinematic blocks! They can be used for many proposals, either as waypoints ("Move to Unit"), centre units for radius trigger members etc. etc.
-Force Non-Cinematic is useful for fighting scenes, because it switches the cinematic models off. So you won't have detailed models for walking and standing units and undetailed ones for fighting/dying/etc units.
-And one of the most important ones: Make a "Camera Cut" when the cin ends to a normal game perspective (or a camera track back to the normal perspective)!

That's it so far. Probably not new for the more advanced ones here, but still rarely realised. Want to see how a real cinematic looks like? Go here and here.

Thanks for reading!

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 11-26-2004 @ 08:41 AM).]

Replies:
posted 25 November 2004 03:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Good Tips

Cinematography: An art unto itself

-For big battle scenes (or other shots containing lots of units), use "Force non-cinematic models" effect. Lag is your enemy, and unless its very close shot you will barely notice the unit texture/model quality loss.

I think FOG.

[This message has been edited by Villi (edited 11-25-2004 @ 03:23 PM).]

posted 25 November 2004 03:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Thanks a bunch AoMPlayer000!

This is definately a big help to everyone who wants to make better cinimatics. Especially since alot of the info they need is right at their fingertips. Heck even I learned some new ways to be better at this stuff.

Member of ~Liquid Fire Studios~.

Works in progress: The Forgiven-RPG.
-Completion will be in about a month's time.

posted 25 November 2004 03:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Thanks.

Villi, that is more about the content of the cin, while I focused on the technique, but I'll add it.

posted 25 November 2004 03:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Its a cute little guide and definately helpful. However, I think you're stressing on skippable cinematics a little too much- its not that important. The player can always press the gorgeous F8 button after the movie ends.

Also for the Set Obscured Units thing, I have heard that turning it on and off causes major problems espiacally in big trigger filled scns.

BTW why Block All Sounds? (Sorry, don't really understand the reason for this being a horrible cinematic creator myself).

posted 25 November 2004 03:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
Thanks. This is not really intended to be a guide though.

About skippable cins - it just happens to stand on a that high place in the list, there're more important things. But it's a very nice addition though, especially for professional scns and long intros.

Quote:

Also for the Set Obscured Units thing, I have heard that turning it on and off causes major problems especially in big trigger filled scns.

No, that's simply wrong. Look at ES scns, they always used it, and at many good cins in our DL section. Plus from my own experience I can strongly deny that.

Quote:

BTW why Block All Sounds?

When you play a scn, certain events are brought to your notice through sounds, for example when you get attacked or when a tech is fully researched. That simply doesn't sound good in an atmospheric cin .
posted 25 November 2004 03:35 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Nice tips for making īn the box" cinematics...However if someone wants to experiment and make some "out of the Box" cinemtics he doesn't have to use or comply with the tips above.

Anyway usefull tips if someone wants to make cinematics as in the original games.

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 25 November 2004 03:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
^ Good point, I have been slightly convinced.
posted 25 November 2004 03:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Nice tips! Sure to help me out...

-=Skycat=-
posted 25 November 2004 04:14 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Here are my objections ( ):

- YOu don't have to use Block Sounds. SET THE PLAYER AS A NON-EXISTANT PLAYER IN THE CINEMATIC. USE PLAYER ACTIVE EFFECT TO CHANGE PLAYER NUMBERS!

- YOu CAN use Abort Cinematic. It's just more work but it CAN be better. (yes I know, I'm still bugging you about that)

- Camera Cut works but it's usually better to use Camera Track zooming out from the center or similar.

@Guardian: No, SetObscuredUnits works perfectly. If you never mentioned it, I would never have guessed it was believed to cause problems.

BTW about Force Non-Cin Models, it's sort of the same when not used so you might as well use it. Units change to Non-Cin when fighting anyways.

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 11-25-2004 @ 04:16 PM).]

posted 25 November 2004 04:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  

Quote:

- YOu don't have to use Block Sounds. SET THE PLAYER AS A NON-EXISTANT PLAYER IN THE CINEMATIC. USE PLAYER ACTIVE EFFECT TO CHANGE PLAYER NUMBERS!

Didn't you read? I said for ingame cins !

Thanks for the last two points, I'll add them.

posted 25 November 2004 05:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
Don't you read what you quote?

It DOES work for ingame cinematics.

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 11-25-2004 @ 05:20 PM).]

posted 25 November 2004 05:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Great guide AoMPlayer

Why not a little something on the cool effects that can be created with cinematic blocks using the 'change unit type' trigger. You can make, for instance, explosions, by changing cinemtic blocks to 'meteor impact ground' etc.

posted 25 November 2004 06:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
There was already another thread on those trick Eazy_Ben.

I think they're in the Guide to Editor Tips and Tricks.

posted 25 November 2004 06:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 26 November 2004 08:33 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  

Quote:

Didn't you read? I said... I mean... ... Ok, you got me . Good point, I'll add it. Although the difference is small.
posted 21 January 2005 06:21 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
Hi, I am making Troy on the AoM the Titans editor. I m pretty much done but i have 5 tracks of the cinematic. How do i get the cinematics to play ingame????Thanks for your help.
posted 21 January 2005 06:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
Not bad, but I think I little picture would get the newbs more interested - and I think you are aiming for newbs right?

posted 21 January 2005 06:45 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
http://www.elpea.net/wiki/index.php?title=Making_Better_Cinematics&action=edit

You know what must be done.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 21 January 2005 07:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
Thanks alot!!
posted 21 January 2005 07:17 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
I don't get the site. Sorry i may not be a noob when I play games but I am with the Editor!!
posted 21 January 2005 11:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
I remeber seeing your list there Aomplayer what seems now like a long time ago. It helped me improve alot. Thanks
posted 22 January 2005 03:07 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
off topic:

@ sziggi: the second link in your signature doesn't work

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens
posted 22 January 2005 09:50 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
this topic worths to be bumped!

regards
Auron

oh btw, please put links to your guides so other people can know about this

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 23 January 2005 03:03 AM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
He has it in his signature and its in Theris's thread, what's the point of bumping it?

Bumping=spamming.

posted 23 January 2005 04:32 AM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
True, but read Spitfire's post, the point of bumping was to write this article in the wiki.

Which I'll hopefully do some time ...

posted 23 January 2005 05:50 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
I just found this out. Amazingly enough, the camera time is the same as units as the speed in units.

So in other words, if the camera is following a unit from start to end - and you dunno what to set the time to - make it the unit's speed.

Edit: I just realized what I found out doesn't make sense. Nevermind then. I guess it just happened to work for that specific track

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 01-23-2005 @ 05:51 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMPlayer's cinematic tips
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames