You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Making GOOD cinematic night scenes - a guide by Treebeard III
posted 08 December 2004 00:30 AM EDT (US)   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making GREAT Cinematic Night Scenes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By Treebeard III

Hi all - and welcome to my guide. During this guide you will learn how to make really good realistic night scenes. Lets get started.

~~~~~ The Guide ~~~~~

For this part of the guide we will be working on creating a custom night time sky (without modding). Although we wont be modding we will end up with quite a master piece.

In Age Of Mythology (TT) ES made a modely type for sfx and used a file to attach it to the unit. When you use tha Editors scale function only the unit scales down and leaves the sfx at standard size. This can be used as a great advantage, because by scaling a unit, say the relic down to an invisible size you will end up with a nice star like object. This works for many other units aswell.

Step 1
First place a selction of say 20 relics sapced apart from eachover. Then one by one scale them down untill all you will have left is the sfx - which looks like a star. For some anothe nice one try the Mirror tower which will give you a large star.

Step 2
Ok now paint back arount the area that you placed the stars. Next make a hill slightly infront of the black are with the stars and paint it with a desired terrain. Now put the Sample Elevation brush to size 1 (extra small) and start rising the elevation under the stars so they arnt alll the same level in hight, You wont see the elevation because the whole thing will be black.

Step 3
Now hit Alt- Shift-C on you keyboard and edit the pich and zoom to a nice angle.... (over 45 degrees). Also now set the light setting to night or somthing of the sort - If you have the New X editor you will be able to make some nice dark light settings. Then add a few units.

it should now look like this,

Final Step
But now to make it extra special you should dress it up with some more objects, like some mist trees rocks ect.....

try and get it to look somthing like this,

It also works ggod with SkyStormy.

WOW.... you have just made a great night scene that you can use in your cinematics

ATTENTION: I didnt come up with the theory of scaling down to make sfx, and I am aware that there are other guides to make stars and suns ect

Replies:
posted 08 December 2004 00:39 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Good guide, although I knew most of the stuff already.

posted 08 December 2004 01:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
The only question I have is the part about SkyStormy.

What did you mean by that? It doesn't look like night-time when like that, and it would look retarded with stars.

-- Ashtoro
Current Project - Progress {Map/Trg/Eye/Cin/Test}
Nothin' really, just fooling around.
posted 08 December 2004 02:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Very nice guide, TreebeardIII!
posted 08 December 2004 03:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
very nice indeed
posted 08 December 2004 08:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
here is a cool effect with armory glow:

and another cool effect here:

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,20735,0,all

btw, noce guide and moon!

regards
Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 08 December 2004 09:51 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
^ How did auron get those stars in the sky anyways (not the armor glow)?

BTW Treebeard didn't you have a modding site somewhere where you did Aztec mods?

posted 08 December 2004 09:57 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Nice guide, but not extremely revolutionary.... @Auron: Armor glow are great in screenshots, but they flash like madmen, making them not very suitable for cinematics...
posted 08 December 2004 09:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
you mean those yellow stars?

well, you cant really put them that high, unless random map scripting. When i did that screenshot, i first created a RM script, which included this command "rmSetAreaBaseHeight(id, 30.0);, which sets the height, and other commands which define the place, ETC.

after the height was made, i saved the RM script as an scenario, then paint the super elevation with black, and put the objects. thats it.

if you want to learn how to do this, see my sig for the guide

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 08 December 2004 10:11 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Bleh so the white ones are the armor glow? lol. Thought they were the yellow ones.
posted 08 December 2004 12:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 09 December 2004 00:55 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
To make the stars high in the sky without rm scripting you can just elevate the area under the star (with size 1 brush) Seeing as it is black it will not be visible.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Making GOOD cinematic night scenes - a guide by Treebeard III
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames