Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to install a modpack or custom game files
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05 August 2009 09:47 PM EDT (US)   
There have been numerous (I count four) threads asking the same question recently, so I figured I'd post an in-depth guide to installing a mod, with or without instructions.

As a general disclaimer, if you can understand it, make sure you've read any "readme.txt" or similar files. They will save you from having to go through this process.

Please post if you find any errors!

1. To install a unit:
1. Open the .ZIP file you downloaded.
2. Double click on the "anim" folder.
3. Select all the files in that folder, then press ctrl and c at the same time.
4. Go to Start, Run, then paste this into the typing box:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\anim
5. Paste the files you copied into this folder by clicking on empty space in it, then pressing ctrl and v at the same time.
6. Open the .ZIP you downloaded once more.
7. Double click on the "data" folder.
8. Select all the files, then press ctrl and c at the same time.
9. Go to Start, Run, then paste this into the typing box:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\data
10. Paste the files you copied into this folder by clicking on empty space in it, then pressing ctrl and v at the same time.
11. Open the .ZIP you downloaded once more.
12. Double click on the "sound" folder.
13. Select all the files, then press ctrl and c at the same time.
14. Go to Start, Run, then paste this into the typing box:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound
15. Paste the files you copied into this folder by clicking on empty space in it, then pressing ctrl and v at the same time.
16. Open the .ZIP you downloaded once more.
17. Double click on the "textures" folder.
18. Select all the files, then press ctrl and c at the same time.
19. Go to Start, Run, then paste this into the typing box:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\textures
20. Paste the files you copied into this folder by clicking on empty space in it, then pressing ctrl and v at the same time.
21. Check the ZIP you downloaded for any "add to Protox"-type document. If you find one:
22. Download AoMed here.
23. Click "set input data file," and select the "Data2.bar" (for Titans) or "Data.bar" (for vanilla) file in your Age of Mythology/Data folder. For the folder to extract data into, select your Age of Mythology/Data folder. Click "read data file."
24. Open the "paste into protox"-type file. Press ctrl+a, then ctrl+c.
25. Use AoMed to convert the proto(x).xmb file in your Age of Mythology/data folder into an .xml file with the same name.
26. Open your proto(x).xml file. Place your blinking text cursor at the end of the last , then press enter. Next, press ctrl+v. Save your proto(x).xml file.

2. To install other types of modpacks:
  • Place any lighting (non-history .txt without the words "anim" or "blends") files in your Age of Mythology/Data folder.
  • Place any sky (.ddt files whose names include "sky") files in your Age of Mythology/Textures folder.
  • Place any .xml files in your Age of Mythology/Data folder, unless they involve random maps, god powers, terrain, triggers or AI.
  • Place any .xs files and any .xml files dealing with AI in your Age of Mythology/AI (vanilla) or Age of Mythology/AI2 (expansion) folders.
  • Place any animation (".txt" with the word "anim") files in your Age of Mythology/anim folder.
  • Place any .aom or .bik files in your Age of Mythology/avi folder.
  • Place any .msk files in your Age of Mythology/fonts folder.
  • Place any .xml files involving god powers in your Age of Mythology/god powers folder.
  • Place any .gfx or .tss files in your Age of Mythology/gfxconfig (vanilla) or Age of Mythology/gfxconfig2 (expansion) folder.
  • Place any .txt files dealing with history in your Age of Mythology/history (vanilla) folder or your Age of Mythology/history2 (expansion) folder.
  • Place any .lng or .brg files not associated with units in your Age of Mythology/Models folder.
  • Place any .xs files or any .xml files with the same name as a .xs file in your Age of Mythology/rm (vanilla) or Age of Mythology/rm2 (expansion) folder.
  • Unless otherwise indicated, place any .wav or .mp3 files in your Age of Mythology/Sound folder.
  • Place any textures associated with UI in your Age of Mythology/textures/ui folder.
  • Place any terrain textures in your Age of Mythology/textures/terrain folder.
  • Place any terraintypes.xml or blends.txt files in your Age of Mythology/Textures folder.
  • Place any .ifl files in your Age of Mythology/textures/terrain folder.
  • Place any .cpn or .cpx files in your Age of Mythology/Data folder.
  • Place any .scn or .scx files in your Age of Mythology/Scenario folder or My Games/Age of Mythology/Scenario folder.
  • Place any .ddt files whose place cannot be found in the above in your Age of Mythology/Textures folder.

• If you are still having problems, or if you've downloaded mod files that don't fit any of the above, please ask for help here.

_/o___
    _(__\____
    AGE OF MYTHOLOGY'S THIRD UNMODDED FULL CAMPAIGN __\^^\)___ AGE OF MYTHOLOGY'S THIRD UNMODDED FULL CAMPAIGN
    __"\_____
    "This is shaping up to be the best campaign on AoM heaven" ____(_\___
    "This is shaping up to be the best campaign on AoM heaven"

[This message has been edited by Silicone Ruff Jr (edited 08-05-2009 @ 09:51 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 02 October 2009 10:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
    This doesnt work for me im trying to install the republic roman mod and i can i have never modded b4 and i wanted this to be my first game cuz its awsome so if u could give me some help (for some reason when i open the XML file it opens in the internet and i cant edit it
    posted 02 October 2009 10:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
    right click on it, and select edit. xml files are default set to open in internet. You can not edit them in the internet. But you can in notepad. So right click it, select edit, or open with, and select notepad.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 03 October 2009 03:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
    i used dreamweaver to edit the file but still nothing
    posted 03 October 2009 05:35 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
    @#&^@$
    dont use dreamwaver
    use notepad or wordpad or PSPad

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

Mods - EmjeR's eyecandy pack :: Improved Greeks look :: Ghengis Khan - Mods
    Programs - BCTool Attachpoint Editor :: BCTool :: Words - Programs
    Games - 0 AD :: Stronhold 2 :: BfME 2 - Games
    !! Proud member of WildFire Games !!
    posted 22 February 2010 01:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
    Hey,
    I used to add in units, like 1 year ago.

And I Just Read The Tutorial

And Im Like..

"Wow.." "thats More Confusing That Before."
    posted 05 April 2010 09:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
    yeah...

I can add mods fine mostly. What I cannot do is get my villager or buildings to build what I add to the game...
    posted 28 April 2010 05:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
    Okay, I have done some modding to my game already, and yet to have an issue; I added texture mods and sound mods etc.
    I have also added a transform mod, and a unit mod (The Roman Legionarius).
    Well now i'm trying to add another unit, and everything is fine, with the exception of the unit actually working. >.>

I looked through the Proto / Protox files to see if maybe something was wrong in them, and I noticed a Unit ID conflict between the Legionarius and the new unit.
    Well, I set the new unit to the next unit id number, thinking that that would solve the problem nice and simply, buuuuut the unit is still not appearing.

I Have not used the program you recommended yet, as i didn't even know of it yet, so i just downloaded it, but since i have already done some modding i wasn't sure if that would still work. (Also, just looked at the program, and it says converter? Am i supposed to be converting anything?)

--Now to see if anyone looks at this old forum and helps me lol--
    posted 29 April 2010 02:07 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
    forum is old, but still alive ^^

you should try to change the dbid and the displaynameid ot X i think the problem is that there are two units with the name Roman Legionarius

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

posted 29 April 2010 04:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
    I'll try changing the IDs to "x" , but the Roman Legionarius work fine, it is the new unit i'm having trouble with, it has the same UnitID as the Roman Legionarius. [what does changing the the ID to "x" do exactly? Also, as far as "not working" i mean that i cannot build the new unit; it is supposed to be built at Town Centers and Fortresses, but the icon never comes up >.<]

EDIT: Okay, i tried changing the new units to "X" for their IDs (UnitID, DBID, and DisplayNameID) annnd i still can't get them to work -__-

[This message has been edited by DwarfWoot (edited 04-29-2010 @ 05:27 PM).]

posted 29 April 2010 05:54 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
    change them all to x

are you sure you named the protox and the anim the same (anim = protox name + "_anim.txt")

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

posted 21 June 2010 03:39 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
    Hello, I'm new to this whole modding thing. Can you tell me what to do because I'm at the point where all the files have been converted save the protox, which is the problem. I just downloaded AoMed to convert the protox. But when I want to convert it(set input data file), apparently theres supposed to be a file named data2.bar or data.bar that I'm supposed to convert but there are only .xmb and xml files titled "last game settings" and "recent files". Someone please help.

I AM THE SILENCER
    posted 26 August 2010 04:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
    maybe if someone made it just install not manually i'd be able to install stuff.I only got 4 to work and they had auto install.one of them was epic textures mod.
    posted 26 August 2010 05:25 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
    Well, if you have auto install, then most mods won't work with each other. And certain things like textures are easy to replace by just putting the files, but you have to put the whole protox. This is not the place to post that though.
    posted 28 September 2010 06:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
    Edit: wrong place delete please

[This message has been edited by clusterone666 (edited 09-28-2010 @ 06:15 PM).]

posted 09 October 2010 05:30 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
    Hi Ive installed quite a lot of mods (other peoples) and recently i installed one that allowed mummies to train minions and egytians to train naval shipyards and so on.

When I tried installing the data it wouldn't let me open up the game.

So i replaced the protox with that mod's protox then added all of the extra data on at the end.

Now though whenever I go onto test scenario on editor loads of the units from other players turned into one of the mods I installed (not the one with the mummies).

So seeing as I didn't really need that mod I deleted it.

Now everything has turned into another mod.

And when I played a player made campaign loads of the units in that are the mod too.
    posted 06 October 2011 06:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
    how do i put the unit in the folder?
    posted 06 October 2011 07:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
    how do i put the unit in the folder?
    Please go into more detail. What folder?

posted 06 October 2011 09:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
    Please go into more detail. What folder?
    Lol, he means the normal directory, but he has a problem with it. When he copies files in it, his Windows tries to find an unexisting CD.

( σяυɘ ϙυє )﴿

ʸᵒᵘᵗᵘᵇᵉ ˡˡʳʸ
    posted 10 May 2014 02:58 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
    Should this be updated for the Steam Workshop? ~ Milky

<||=================================||>
    Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
    96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
    { "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    posted 30 May 2014 09:15 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
    Hi everyone,

When I installed the Epic Textures Mod, I can run the original AoM normally. However, when I started the Titans ( AoMx), the error "Initialization Failed" appeared.

What should I do to get the AoMx run properly. I don't want to re-install the whole game when ever I encounter this error.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by fable09 (edited 05-30-2014 @ 09:17 PM).]

posted 11 April 2016 05:47 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
    Okay what do you mean by "go to Start, Run" because I have no folders ANYWHERE with the word Start in it and this confuses me...
    posted 11 April 2016 06:23 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
    It's simply a path for the corresponding folders in your Age of Mythology root folder.

The Titans: Program files[(x86) if you have windows 8 or later]/microsoft games/age of mythology

Extended edition: (I reccomend using the workshop for mods so you can easily enable/disable them and still play online) program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/age of mythology.

Just find this folder and you'll be good.

Sorry if this seemed sloppy, I did it on my phone.

posted 12 April 2016 02:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
    Should this be updated for the Steam Workshop? ~ Milky
    If someone wants to do that they're welcome to link to my guide (see signature)
    posted 14 February 2017 06:19 AM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
    Hey guys im fairly new to all this so please bare with me but ive followed all this to step 22 and ive downloaded the AOMED thing but im kind of confused on what to do from here, is anyone able to clear things up for me? thankyou
    posted 14 February 2017 10:33 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
    What exactly are you trying to do?

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » How to install a modpack or custom game files
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames