You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Giant trilogy – OOC thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 67  Next Page »
posted 05-17-05 05:25 PM EDT (US)   
Replies:
posted 05-17-05 05:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 1984  
Bearclaw asked this:

Quote:

and did Sul tell us what the name of her deity was?if she did...Bearclaw forgot could somebody remind me what it is.

No but the seer did:

The Seers eyes became saddened.

"Ahh, Sul. My dear child. You have beome Soniia's chosen? It was better her than Yix'Oruth" she said with a slight sneer."My personal opinions aside, I shall let the Ancients speak..."

The Seer becomes quiet, and a small childish voice echoes around the party, seeming to come from everywhere at once.
"Soniia is a newly risen Demi-God to this realm, along with her half-brothers Yix'Oruth and Hoorak. Her presence upon this world worries some of the Higher deities, yet is embraced by others. Soniia stands forth as a champion of Light and Growth. Much favoured by Elven Kin, she is a righteous champion of Life. During her years before rising as a Deity, she spent many years living with a clan of Halflings, where she practiced magic with a local healer. From there, she travelled to the place known as Icewind Dale, and helped the Ten Towns put down a Necromages uprising. She encountered an orphaned Gold Dragonling whilst there, and sheltered with it for many years. They both taught and learnt much from the other. It was there she become strong enough to ascend to Demi-God status. Her ties of fate are woven tightly with her half-brothers and they also ascended above mortality. She remembers her teachings well, and has always stood as an ally of Gold and Silver Dragons. Deep in the mountains to the north, once thrived a community of Dragons. Soniia proclaimed the caverns as those of Virtue. But the warlike Giants of the region, felt threatened by the great Wyrms, and marched upon them. Many Dragons were slain in the battle, for they were peaceful. The Silver River that runs there now, is said to be Soniia's tears, for the lost. She has sought a champion, you, to lead the rightful claimant to the caverns of Virtue, to take his throne once more, so Dragons of peace may once again flock to the banners. Soniia despises Death magic, in all its forms, and stands as a beacon against such magics. Born of light, lived of light, she has risen to stand within the realms, as the Protector of Peace, Ally of Gold and Silver Dragons and Warrior of Growth. Her followers become targets of Yix'Oruth's Minions of Decay, as the rivalry Soniia and Yix'Oruth possessed whilst learning, continues unto Godhood..."

The Seer closes her eyes, and takes a deep breath.
Reaching out her hand, she lightly takes Sul's hand and whispers[Sul]"You have chosen well child. You shall make a fine champion of Soniia."

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 05-17-2005 @ 05:32 PM).]

posted 05-17-05 06:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 1984  
Another thing: I have got my hands on the book “Races of Faerun” and I have just realized that there is no Drow langue (Drow speak elven) so what langue has Roadamer and Myroj been speaking all this time?

Kris Lighthawk
posted 05-17-05 09:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 1984  
Bearclaw: thanks Lighthawk......i wonder is any one recording our campain? and yes i need some help with "names" so to speak, so if anyone could list some names of humans and elves or is there a sight that has names listed?

Hey...Sul...if your reading this....do you need some dice. or are you using the on line die thing? i'd buy ya some and send them to ya .....but don't know where to send them (i do understand if you choose not to disclose that info, so no problem if that is the case)(and i have no idea where your from ) also i didn't see any healing spells in the your list of spells.....do you need some one to post a list of spells that you could choose from?....maybe i missed something in your character build sheet

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 05-17-05 10:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 1984  
Re: NPCs for Bearclaw -

asimp001@ucr.edu

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 05-17-05 11:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 1984  

Quoted from Lighthawk (Re: the traps in the simulations):

I actually think the traps are quite appropriate for a thieves guild of the size we are attacking, but the guild is far too big for a town of Howthen’s size and would be more appropriate for a small or medium city. But as you said yourself it is just a simulation and we wanted a tough fight. I think I can easily promise a very tough fight
Rouges in D&D are supposed to be expert in finding and disabling traps, so it seems reasonable that they also have a good idea about making them, the crossbow trap is actually fairly simple to make and this particularly guild has a mage of their own so a magical trap should be expected too.

Rogues are experts in setting up traps, this is true; however, the problem that I see with these traps for an ordinary thieves' guild, in any city of any size, is this: these traps require preparation and sophistocation.

It is absolutely reasonable for rogues to create traps that fire crossbows from a remote trigger, but the trigger must be something they can wire to the trap. A tripwire, or similar triggering mechanism, is fairly easy to rig, and so it would be quite understandable for rogues to have rigged such a trap with such a mechanism. These crossbows, located in slits in the cieling, however, require that a special room be built in the cieling for them. The trigger mechanism must then be strung through a cable, which has to run behind the walls (or else we would see it), and under the floor, all of which also need secret chambers behind the walls and under the floors, to attach to the raised tiles. This sort of job would require a week of building to make, so it's not something that could be rigged on a minute-by-minute basis. The dragon-heads, likewise, must be glued to the wall, and making them (they being magical devices) would take time.

Now, this isn't very consistent with a thieves' guild of any size, at least not in a city with functioning civil order. What would the thieves do, for example, should the city police find their hideout? Under normal circumstances, they would have to abandon it, and not come back, because the police could lay some ambushes of their own. Since they are faced with the prospect of establishing a new retreat in a hurry, it seems illogical for the thieves' guild to put the time and effort required to make traps of this degree of sophistocation, the skill to make them notwithstanding.

The most reasonable place to find this sort of thing in a thieves' guild is if it is the thieves' guild, not the municipal government, that is the real law in the town, and that the thieves are strong enough that they could actually defeat the municipal police in a fair fight, or else have bought them out (i.e. the police themselves belong to the guild). In that case, however, this organization is hardly a thieves' guild - it is a corrupt, behind-the-scenes municipal government.

posted 05-19-05 03:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 1984  
I have a question for all of you--an opinion question.

What kind of magic item should Eros get from the Seer? I really can't decide. Here's my top choices and reasons:

-I could get a better bow to further increase Eros' archer effectiveness.

-I could get some armor to improve my terrible AC in preparation for the close-up fighting we may have to partake in in Howthen. (Con to that is I wouldn't want to wear armor that decreases my Dex bonus)

-I could get a better offensive close-range weapon in preparation for Howthen. If it were a single-handed weapon, I could use one of the shields that we found to increase my AC.

Any ideas? I really can't decide.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 05-19-05 08:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 1984  
Don’t think you can just get the seer to give you any specific item you ask about, she more expect an answer like “I would like a offensive item that make me better at what I am already good at.
Also don’t expect anything more powerful then the bow you already got, but remember that there are other ways to improve you archery skills.

Kris Lighthawk
posted 05-20-05 08:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 1984  
Bearclaw: ...Beren...did you happen to get my Email....i hope i sent it to the right address.

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
posted 05-20-05 04:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 1984  
Understood, Lighthawk.

Still, I need a suggestion as to whether to say:

"I need an offensive item that makes me better at what I'm already good at."

"I need an offensive item that makes me better at what I'm not skilled already at."

"I need a defensive item that makes me better at what I'm already good at."

or

"I need a defensive item that makes me better at what I'm not skilled already at."

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 05-21-05 10:07 AM EDT (US)     10 / 1984  
Bearclaw: well Eros your going to had to pick!.......no one else will do it for ya we're all desciding ourselves

..Beren...i'm glad i sent it to the right place....looking forward to meeting up with the NPCs, you may receive more Emails in the future if that would be no problem?

posted 05-21-05 09:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 1984  
Well, I've made up my mind.

posted 05-22-05 00:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 1984  
*deleted*

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 05-22-2005 @ 00:21 AM).]

posted 05-23-05 09:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 1984  
for the combat simulation:Roadamer:are there pillars supporting the the balconies?or are they just attached to the wall with the stairs as there base?i thought i might do a little climbing if there was.=)

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 05-23-2005 @ 10:01 PM).]

posted 05-25-05 04:19 PM EDT (US)     14 / 1984  
Two questions:

First, what is the damage of a morningstar, specifically the one I just received.

Second, a morningstar is a single-handed weapon, correct? And if so, I can carry a shield in the other hand, correct?

posted 05-25-05 09:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 1984  
Roadamer: See my answer in the Simulations tread

Eros: Damage is 1D8 (+2 from the enchantment) and yes it is a one handed weapon so you can use shield.

Kris Lighthawk
posted 05-26-05 06:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 1984  
Okay, I've got the mace thing figured out and in my stats, but how do I use this shield and what does it grant me? Specifically, I have one of the shields that the skeletons were using.

I know it grants some AC, but I don't know how much. What else does it give me and how does that work? Just give me a nice long quote from the rules plus how this shield factors into that, and I'll be happy.

posted 05-29-05 09:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 1984  
I've been talking to ShadowKin a little over email, and he wants me to pass on that he hopes to be back pretty soon, and that when he does return we will indeed give the whole LED battle another shot, as well as picking up the plot in the Giant Trilogy a little.

posted 05-30-05 07:17 AM EDT (US)     18 / 1984  
Bearclaw: Lighthawk, so we're to take it that the Dm. can say where(on the body) a players character gets hit? i thought we were to "creative wright" that in ourselves?

posted 05-30-05 09:57 AM EDT (US)     19 / 1984  
The DM can do anything he wants. The Dm is god!

No seriously, as long as the DM is controlling the enemies it seems reasonable that he can say where they hits (if he don’t the players can of course decide themselves where they has been hit) The players on the other hand decides where they hits the enemies…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 05-30-05 01:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 1984  
Bearclaw : LOL!! to Lighthawks reply

posted 06-02-05 09:54 PM EDT (US)     21 / 1984  
Sorry, Bearclaw; I was waiting for Lighthawk. I did not know whether Lúthien would recognize the runes immediately, so I didn't have her say anything.

Also, in the Simulations thread, I just had Lúthien act. You may need to reference her character sheet (Final Characters for the Giant Trilogy thread) to check what she did. I already rolled the priest's saving throw (which was a 9, a failure).

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 06-02-2005 @ 10:10 PM).]

posted 06-03-05 07:51 AM EDT (US)     22 / 1984  
I am sorry too, I really have had too little time to post lately, but it should get better now

Beren: For the simulation thread you need to know these rules for Shield bashing:

- A shield bash is considered an attack with an off hand weapon, the damage is 1D3 + ˝ your strength modifier for light shields and 1D4 + ˝ your strength modifier for heavy shields
(For spiked shields the damage is 1D4 for light and 1D6 for heavy)

- A light shield is considered a light weapon and a heavy shield is considered a heavy weapon. You can’t shield bash with a buckler.

- Unless you have the “improved shield bash” feat you will lose the shield bonus to AC until your next round.

- If you are attacking with your main hand in the same round, you are considered attacking with 2 weapons (a full round attack) witch has penalties to attack for both hands:

-- No “two weapon fighting” feat and heavy weapon in off hand: main hand -6, off hand -10

-- No “two weapon fighting” feat and light weapon in off hand: main hand -4, off hand -8

-- “Two weapon fighting” feat and heavy weapon in off hand: main hand -4, off hand -4

-- “Two weapon fighting” feat and light weapon in off hand: main hand -2, off hand -2

These of course means that Beren can’t possible have hit the thief in the simulation with his shield…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 06-03-05 02:57 PM EDT (US)     23 / 1984  
Ay! In that case, with a penalty like that, Beren would not have used his shield bash in the first place.

posted 06-03-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     24 / 1984  
Again, I ask for shield specs. I want to know exactly what a shield can and cannot do.

posted 06-03-05 05:29 PM EDT (US)     25 / 1984  
Roadamer, a knife slid fully into a person's side is a pretty lethal (or at least incapacitating) injury. You should reserve that sort of injury for attacks that actually drop a foe.

Also, with the blade currently inside her body and Roadamer still holding onto it, he could torque the blade inside of her, which would be effectively a coup de grace. This sort of thing should require a grapple check (provoking an attack of opportunity) at the very least.

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 06-03-2005 @ 05:32 PM).]

posted 06-03-05 05:39 PM EDT (US)     26 / 1984  
o,well,lighthawk said we could strike our enemies where we wanted.I didnt think a big deal about it.She is probably bleeding and will soon faint to loss of blood or through other means because of pain.She only has 3hp left and i figure thats prety much gone for someone who could have up to 9.I understand your point though.

posted 06-09-05 10:47 PM EDT (US)     27 / 1984  
A couple more things in the simulation thread, Lighthawk:

1. Eros did make the Listen check, so should he really have been flat-footed?

2. Your post reads like Beren was knocked unconscious, although you probably didn't mean that (i.e. it's the theif who is passing out). Beren has twenty hit points (well, now four).

posted 06-10-05 10:33 AM EDT (US)     28 / 1984  
Good point, Beren. I shouldn't have been hit, should I have?

posted 06-10-05 01:50 PM EDT (US)     29 / 1984  
1) Eros made a listen check, but it was not good enough for him to hear the thieves, I thought that would be obvious…

If you want the details: The thieves was moving silently and rolled 11 and 10. They had +6 and +8 in move silently was more then 20 feet away so the distance add +2 to the check Eros had to beat. That’s 19 and 20, too high for Eros to have heard them. In addition to that, Eros was also distracted by the fight witch give him a -5 penalty on his listen check…

2) Yes I can see how one reading what I wrote could thought that is was Beren that lost consciousness (he of course didn’t) so I have edited the post accordingly.

Kris Lighthawk
posted 06-12-05 03:08 AM EDT (US)     30 / 1984  

Quote:

Another thing: I have got my hands on the book “Races of Faerun” and I have just realized that there is no Drow langue (Drow speak elven) so what langue has Roadamer and Myroj been speaking all this time?

Lighthawk. Roadamer and Myroj have been speaking 'Drow', or at least what is termed as Drow at a site containing a Translator. Indeed, it may actually be Elven, or a slight variant thereof.
Myroj being Drow himself, and given my own personal ideals, I deny all knowledge of Drow being connected to that of the Surface Elves
The translator can be found here:http://www.grey-company.org/Maerdyn/resources/translator/index.cgi
And I am sure those of you curious enough, will prove or disprove my justification soon enough on having this as 'Drow' language. Exploration of the site itself was done half-heartedly. At the time, I was seeking but an easy method of 'speaking' in Drow.
I am still in the process of 'learning' and 'mastering' this language, as one would, say Japansese

=LASFS Operative #2=
-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. War Leader-/X\(++)/X\-
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 67  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Giant trilogy – OOC thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames