Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing
Moderated by ChowGuy, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Old Games
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 05-08-14 09:12 AM EDT (US)   
I don't know if anyone comes around here anymore, but sometimes I stop in. I've never been quite content with how this forum doesn't let you browse pages of old threads and there's no search function, but I have recovered many links to our old D&D games and wanted to post them if anyone is interested in browsing them.

These are links to IC threads, which link in turn to OOC and Character threads. This is in alphabetical order:

Citadel of Books
Companions of the Red Sword
Faerun Colonists
Giant Trilogy
Jade Warrior (Centaur Thread, Prologue)
Quest of the Wind -- Prologue, Ziggurat
Raiders of the Marching Mountains
Red Hand of Doom
Secrets of Faerun
Staff of the Emerald Enclave
Treasure Hunt

There have been some good games!

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
Replies:
posted 07-13-14 01:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 40  
Boy it's been awhile, I wouldn't mind starting my Thread up again but I'd like to just use pathfinder rules and spells only.I know we'd have to make some changes but it will make it a little simpler to run.(of course I'll have to get familiar with everything again). If Hallie can't play that would be ok because we wanted your Dwarf to join...is that correct? 7 player is enough don't you think?

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-
posted 07-15-14 08:37 AM EDT (US)     2 / 40  
I would, of course, be happy to take this up again. Do you have any way of getting in touch with Kris and Beren? I might have their email addresses somewhere, but no guarantees.

Hard to believe it's been a year already!

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.

[This message has been edited by That One Elf (edited 07-15-2014 @ 08:38 AM).]

posted 08-01-14 11:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 40  
I think I have Kris' email address, but when I'd email him I would usually have to tell him here at the threads that I had contacted him.I think he was normally so busy he hadn't had time to check his email or maybe it was difficult or complicated receiving email from the U.S. to where he lived,I'm really not sure though.But my emails would normally get through when he looked for them.Anyway...are you still running some games at your apartment?

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
posted 08-01-14 03:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 40  
Yep, we play once or twice a week. Mostly Pathfinder, but also SavageWorlds and Shadowrun (SR5). We'll most likely be trying the new edition of Dungeons and Dragons when it comes out shortly as well.

I can see if I can dig up Andy's (Beren's) email address, but it's been some time and some computer changes since I've had need of it.

posted 08-04-14 08:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 40  
Hi!

It's good to come back! Ian (that one elf), thanks for the re-invite!

I'd be happy to try to restart/resume any of the old games up there. I have, however, come to some realizations about my GMing and my play style that need some correction, so it might be better to start new games. Additionally, I've also become something of a stickler for higher levels of combat realism, although we can talk about that. Lastly, I'm aware of some other roleplaying forums, notably piazo.com and the Giant in the Playground forums - as much as I love the AoW forums and am thrilled to soon (as soon as I fix my computer) to be playing AoW III, those boards have more prospective members. But I'd love to play here!

Before I GM anything, however, I've got to put my ideas to paper on how to fix some of my world-building issues. In particular, I've always wanted to have circumstantially-easy-but-conditionally-impossible resurrection, and now I've finally realized how to do that, so postings will come shortly. Then we can consider playing!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 08-04-14 10:04 PM EDT (US)     6 / 40  
Awesome, great to see you on board again. Wayne, have you had any luck getting a hold of Kris? Andy, do you have a way to contact him? I'm certain that he and Tilia will be willing to come back, but first we need to let him know that we are.

Once we've reassembled, we can decide where to go from there.

I should note that personally I would love to resume Giant Trilogy, Quest for the Wind, and Staff of the Emerald Enclave. I'd further be up for resuming Red Hand of Doom if we were so interested.

[This message has been edited by That One Elf (edited 08-04-2014 @ 10:08 PM).]

posted 08-05-14 10:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 40  
I'd be up for coming back and resuming some of these games, or joining a new one. I was just starting to get into the heads of my characters when everything died.

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 08-05-14 01:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 40  
Email sent to Kris. I'm still working on stuff, as you see.

posted 08-06-14 02:15 PM EDT (US)     9 / 40  
Hi everyone, I just noticed Beren’s email
I would indeed be happy to start playing again, and right now I have plenty of time for doing so

I am not sure if Tilia will want to come back as well, but I will ask her…
I can start up the trilogy again any time you like, just give me a few days to look into where we are and what I had planned…

I am however wondering if it would be a good idea to move our games to Myth-Weavers, as they provide excellent support for RPGs including character sheets and a dice roller that works within the forum (and even prevents cheating)

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 08-06-14 02:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 40  
Awesome, it looks like the core group is back and ready to play!

As for moving to another board... I don't feel strongly about it either way. This board has always (for almost 10 years) served us fine; although it would certainly be nice to have a built in dice roller as well as the guarantee that no one is nudging die rolls to be more favorable, the flip side is that everything else is here, from our game history to our character sheets to our house rule threads. We will either need to move a bunch of things or use both boards together for a while.

posted 08-06-14 04:38 PM EDT (US)     11 / 40  
As I suggested above moving to another board myself, I would not object, but TOE is right in that if we do decide to move that we should use both this one as well as the new one for the time being, exactly for the things that TOE says.

Incidentally, I'm less concerned about our fudging rolls as I am about the inherent nonrandomness of computer RNGs... I've taken to use random.org for die rolls! I've also got some other, entirely optional but nonetheless for me very fun, but very complicated, mechanics that would still require us to trust one-another...

As for resuming games, I am not satisfied with the way that B&L turned out in the Giant Trilogy and would like to replace them basically as soon as we defeat Zooris - I have an idea on how to do this that I would be satisfied with. I'd also like to tweak several things in the Quest for the Wind, Citadel of Books, and Jade Warrior games if we resume them (especially JW - Tétirë is obsolete now), so it would probably be best to start with a new thread, with the same characters.

Great to see everyone back! (I wish we could get BH and Grue back!)

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 08-06-2014 @ 04:39 PM).]

posted 08-06-14 06:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 40  
Cheating has always been an interesting phenomenon when it comes to tabletop. These games, being cooperative rather than competitive, have made it so that cheating does less to damage the game than if the results actually hurt another player. Failing a roll on your turn furthermore isn't usually consequential enough to make the difference in a battle between victory and failure.

I think the game is the best when people do not cheat (otherwise what use is having random mechanics in the first place?), but that it shouldn't be a big deal for a group like us to not have the accountability of a built-in dice system. We needn't change boards for that reason alone.

Anyway, like I was saying, we should at least bring back Quest for the Wind, Giant Trilogy, Staff of the Emerald Enclave, and probably Red Hand of Doom. I definitely wouldn't mind carrying on some of the others; we didn't make it very far in Citadel of Books, and Jade Warrior was getting interesting.

posted 08-07-14 10:18 AM EDT (US)     13 / 40  
Okay, time to do some thinking. I've re-familiarized myself with everything I was doing in my three roleplays and should be ready to go again very soon. Here are my thoughts on the three of them:

The Quest for the Wind
Pros
- Chronologically the first of the series
- Thematic universal significance probably the easiest to understand
- Most of us (except Accusync I think) still playing in it
- Simple rule system close to what I want to use anyway

Cons
- Accusync isn't playing at the moment, so would need to create a character
- Starting level (9th) is a little high, if we want a longer campaign
- Has a very prominent GMPC who is at some risk of hijacking the spotlight from just who she is

Overall
Probably the easiest to jump-start again, from my prospective

Jade Warrior
Pros
- Accusync already has a character
- Several abandoned characters to pick up

Cons
- The rest of us need to make (or take over) characters
- Several abandoned characters who potentially need to be removed
- Complicated, unbalanced rule system that I'd like to drop. We probably need to make new character sheets, even if playing the same PCs
- Takes place after the interesting action in Quest for the Wind
- GMPCs, again
- Need to do something about Tétirë

Overall
This one will be the hardest of the three to play, as interesting as it was and is getting. The biggest problem from my prospective is Tétirë, whom, having worked around other problems in the Destiny rules, no longer should exist as a separate copy of Aimienna. It would be possible to either remove her entirely, or potentially replace her with another, very similar character (even Aimienna's sister). I leave it to you guys to discuss what you think if we rejuvenate the Jade Warrior.

The Citadel of Books
Pros
- Chronologically the last of the series, but far enough in the future to be treatable as a new campaign
- No GMPCs to worry about
- Low level, and therefore plenty of room for further character development

Cons
- Different PCs going in several separate plot threads (I had intended for them to be hooks and have the PCs grab one of them)
- Accusync needs to make a character to play, but should be fairly easy

Overall
Depending on what we want to do, this could be the best of the three (I knew one player who hated GMPCs, but that doesn't seem to apply to you guys).

Entirely new game!
Pros
- No strings attached! Everybody can make new characters!
- We can start at whatever level we want
- GMPCs or not as the players decide
- Setting can be adapted to how we like it

Cons
- We have to make everything from scratch
- I'm going to ask you guys to vote on a plot
- It's yet another game on the forum

Overall
Up to you!

Conclusion
I can go with any of the three, or start a fourth game if you so choose. Please let me know so I can post appropriate threads!

posted 08-07-14 01:04 PM EDT (US)     14 / 40  
I think you know where I stand. The characters I have in Quest for the Wind look like they need some touching up, though -- I have played very similar versions of them around the table and learned a few things I would like to apply before we get much further. Let's just say there are things you pick up from play that you don't anticipate when making a 9th-level character.

posted 08-07-14 01:29 PM EDT (US)     15 / 40  
I have contacted Tilia, so we should get her answer soon.
As for resuming games, I am not satisfied with the way that B&L turned out in the Giant Trilogy and would like to replace them basically as soon as we defeat Zooris - I have an idea on how to do this that I would be satisfied with.
In what ways are you unhappy about B&L? Would redesigning them be enough? Because as soon as we free the ancients (assuming we manage to do that) an event will happen that will give everyone a chance to redesign our characters if we want.
If you want then out anyway, I am ok with that, although I had long-term plans for them that I will have to change…

As for the games you have been running I am ready to continue any one of them and would prefer that over starting a new one. The one I would like to continue the most is The Quest for the Wind.

I kind of forgot to mention the perhaps most important reason to move to Myth-Weavers, it would be a lot easier to get new players if/when we want that

Also, I would very much like to continue both Staff of the Emerald Enclave and Red Hand of Doom

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-08-14 08:27 AM EDT (US)     16 / 40  
I never got involved in Jade Warrior, so I have no opinion on that, and while I was not super interested in what was going on so far in Quest of the Wind, I'd be up for resuming that.

I'd definitely like to see Giant Trilogy resumed, and Citadel of Books. Staff of the Emerald Enclave was cool because my character was awesome. :-) And I'm up for Red Hand of Doom, although I need to work on my character for that one. She never had much personality.

If we played a higher level one, I have a character I'd love to bring into a game (TOE--I want to play Hadav again!).

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 08-08-14 08:36 AM EDT (US)     17 / 40  
Only trick with Hadav is he had levels of both Paladin and Barbarian, which normally are mutually exclusive due to alignment. As long as whatever DM the game belongs to is willing to lift the alignment requirement of one of them (I personally was never happy with the LG restriction on Paladins, since they should be able to serve non-LG gods), Hadav should be able to port into one of the games just fine.

posted 08-08-14 10:30 AM EDT (US)     18 / 40  
All right, your opinions are noted - but I want to get Accusync's opinion on which game(s) I should revive/start a new one first before actively doing one. I'd like to do something that he'd like to play, too.
In what ways are you unhappy about B&L? Would redesigning them be enough? Because as soon as we free the ancients (assuming we manage to do that) an event will happen that will give everyone a chance to redesign our characters if we want.
If you want then out anyway, I am ok with that, although I had long-term plans for them that I will have to change…
They're feeling very unconfident, shy, isolated, which has been driven by the incorrect assumptions that I had when I started the game in the first place (namely, Roadamer and Myroj's discussion in the 'Tavern gave me the feeling that we were importing our "selves" into the game). Of course, feeling that you're native to one universe but being in an unfamiliar one may do that to a person, but I'm just not feeling right that this is the way that the two characters would respond. I just sense that they're out of character, with no easy way to get back into character. Something else didn't sit right with me about the colliding mythologies (see whispered paragraph below), and made me feel as if they just don't fit in the game.

D&D fire giants and frost giants are as I'm sure you know inspired by the giants of Muspelheim and Jotonheim, respectively, and are the principal villains of Norse mythology, adversaries to the Gods. They don't have direct or even very close parallels in Tolkien's legendarium, but as Tolkien was heavily inspired by Norse myth and much of his legendarium attempts to recreate the feel of the Norse eddas, it seemed appropriate to infer a Norse background to the story. But D&D fire and frost giants have no more (and possibly quite a bit less) in common with their mythological inspiration as D&D elves have in common with their primary literary inspiration - they have physical, cultural, and psychological resemblances, but have their own histories, mythologies, and so forth that are unique to D&D. What Lúthien would want to do right now, the way that I imagine her, would be to peel off and read up on Faerûnian mythology and religion, so that she can understand what exists in this "new" world that she has been so rudely copied into, and not continue on the quest...

What I was thinking of doing is to have an Ardan deity show up and take them home, leaving in their place another pair of characters to continue their intended role in the Trilogy. In an effort to do that, the pair I am thinking would be a male and female elf, one a warrior and the other a divine spellcaster, and romantically involved if not outright married.

However, I don't know what your plans are obviously, so I don't know what will fit and what won't, or if you have plans to make them fit that I don't see easily happening. Of course we wouldn't necessarily need to decide this until we free the Ancients and discover what their big secret is (are they pre-incarnations of the PCs, I now wonder?).
I kind of forgot to mention the perhaps most important reason to move to Myth-Weavers, it would be a lot easier to get new players if/when we want that
As I also pointed out, referring to Piazzo and Giant in the Playground as additional forums. I'd like to be able to recruit more players and will happily run with whatever we decide.

posted 08-08-14 02:17 PM EDT (US)     19 / 40  
What if it turned out that there was a very good reason for B&L to continue on the quest? (I kind of have one prepared that could be revealed by the ancients).

If you still want to replace them, that can be arranged easily enough…

If we replace them, what are your thoughts o their replacements? Are they going to be from Arda as well or are they going to be native to Toril?

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-09-14 10:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 40  
If you have a good reason, I'd certainly be willing to run with it!

What I was thinking is that whatever divine power that was responsible for B&L being copied into Toril in the first place sends or copies a replacement of some sort, so probably not native but not necessarily from Arda either. Anyhow, if you've got a plan already, I'll see what your plan consists of first, to begin with.

So, um, when do we want to start? And where is Accusync and what does he think? I'd like to resume the Staff of the Emerald Enclave, too!

posted 08-09-14 12:18 PM EDT (US)     21 / 40  
Hi everyone,good to see you all. I guess if we're being transparent here, the threads I have had the most fun in are "the Giant trilogy" and the one I'm running(well..I'm giving it a hardy try anyway). I like "Red hand of doom" also. I like those three because i like my characters. I would like to use the pathfinder rules, I really don't exactly know why but they seem simpler? could I say? and I like the changes they have made for the half-Orcs, humans and half Elves.

Anyway if we do choose to start over/another thread or at a different site I'd like to build me a Half-Orc(using pathfinder rules). I'd like to introduce one in my game but with so many playing I hesitate to do so.

In "the Staff of the Emerald Enclave" I had plans for it to be in three parts."the Staff of the Emerald Enclave" being the first. The second(or third doesn't really matter) would be "The Forgotten city of The Half-Elves". and finally(or second) "Gateway of Gringlefist Stronghold".

posted 08-09-14 02:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 40  
Tilia is back as well (at least for the trilogy, she is still undecided for her other character) so there is no reason why we can’t start up again. Sul is the only character that has not acted in the trilogy this round, so I will make my next DM post once she has acted.
Unfortunately the thread has been archived, so I have mailed Chowguy and asked him to fix that…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-09-14 03:43 PM EDT (US)     23 / 40  
Chowguy has been watching this thread, and has no problems bumping whichever threads you want.

Just the Trilogy for now?

*done*

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 08-09-14 04:21 PM EDT (US)     24 / 40  
Actually it would be nice to have these two bumped too:
Giant Trilogy: Changes to official D&D rules + Spell book
Giant trilogy: NPC and Monster stats:

As for the other games I will let it be up to their GMs to make the requests

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-09-14 07:16 PM EDT (US)     25 / 40  
I looked those since you were talking about rule changes anyway, but they hadn't been updated in seven or eight years so...

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 08-09-14 07:57 PM EDT (US)     26 / 40  
Cool. It seems we're all set to resume, we just have to decide if it will be here.

I cast my vote for staying. We have tons of history and posts built up here, and I think it would be best to simply resume them in their current threads. Recruiting new players isn't really a priority for me -- we have enough just among us regulars to keep games interesting and many more would make it crowded (and slow down combat even more).

EDIT: It seems that the Red Hand of Doom threads have been archived as well, ChowGuy. Please unarchive this, this, and this.

[This message has been edited by That One Elf (edited 08-09-2014 @ 08:00 PM).]

posted 08-10-14 07:29 PM EDT (US)     27 / 40  
Chowguy has been watching this thread, and has no problems bumping whichever threads you want.

Just the Trilogy for now?
For the Quest for the Wind I think I am going to post a new set of threads and link to the old ones, since TOE has said that he wants to tweak his characters a bit and because I am hoping that Accusync may yet join (I'm still hoping to hear from him).
I cast my vote for staying. We have tons of history and posts built up here, and I think it would be best to simply resume them in their current threads. Recruiting new players isn't really a priority for me -- we have enough just among us regulars to keep games interesting and many more would make it crowded (and slow down combat even more).
What I suggest is that we continue all of our current games on this forum, but start any new games on Mythweavers unless we specifically want a small group a la Lighthawk's Treasure Hunt role-play.

posted 08-11-14 07:39 AM EDT (US)     28 / 40  
What I suggest is that we continue all of our current games on this forum, but start any new games on Mythweavers unless we specifically want a small group a la Lighthawk's Treasure Hunt role-play.
That I can definitely agree with.

posted 08-11-14 01:26 PM EDT (US)     29 / 40  
I guess no one saw my previous post as no one really has commented on it,but yes I posted.If you all would like to go to a different site I'd go I guess,but as I stated earlier I'd like to build a half-orc using pathfinder rules in a setting like the Redhand of doom, or my game,or the Giant trilogy.I look as these games as a "New movie" per say.so to me trying to incorporate heroes from other movies/books doesn't work for me.

posted 08-12-14 03:49 PM EDT (US)     30 / 40  
I have no plans for using pathfinder rules in the Trilogy, so your half-orc will have to be in another game…

I am still waiting for Tilia I the Trilogy...

Kris Lighthawk
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Old Games
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames