posted 06-26-08 04:13 PM EDT (US)   
Game 6 ; 6 player medium/mixed

1 - FROSTLINGS - Thundarr - thund0rr at gmail dot com ELIMINATED, day 9 by ORCS
2 - ELVES - lordtheron at gmail dot com ELIMINATED, day 3 by ORCS
3 - DWARVES - Albaron (GMT +1) albaron dot aow at googlemail dot com
ELIMINATED, day 30 by GOBLINS
4 - DRACOS -Engineard - mjschuck at fidnet dot com ; GMT -6
5 - GOBLINS - king david - kngdvd2000@yahoo.com
6 - ORCS -fubarno - rutbeer at earthlink dot net sub lord duckk day 31 eliminated by goblins, day 32

organizational/comment thread HERE. Send possible *spoiler* remarks to gmmod (at) NYCAP (dot) rr (dot) com

I also recommend that everyone use a password for their turns, and to send it to me at
aow_pbem_pass@hotmail.com, or send it to another password keeper!
Its a great service... Use it!

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 09-04-2009 @ 10:25 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-26-08 04:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 188  
***IMPORTANT***

there is a small movie file used in this map (from AoW2), which you can download from
HERE if you do not have AoW2. This file should be placed into the AoW:SM "movies" folder. It is not essential to do this, but you may experience a 15 second black screen where you can do nothing. The game is NOT locking up, and nothing bad is happening to your computer. The game is just trying to locate or play a file that isn't there. Everything is back to normal after 15 seconds or so.

This will be a more common problem for the 6p version.
I've played 5 games until at least turn 40. (on the 4p version - 1 game until turn 35 on the 6p version)

• in 4 of the games, at least 1 wizard (different each time) was eliminated by day 15 or so, almost always due to independants.

• in each game, wizards would take turns dominating the map, but none could hold domination for long

• there will be alot of turns where you do very little; if the turns keep moving, its no problem. Just keep in mind that it is an empire building game.

• there is alot of suspense in the turns. things really pick up around day 30. Most likely there will be some major conflicts around this time, and then another period of rebuilding armies.

• SCOUT! You are playing blind, and you have no wizard tower. While you should be safe on your first couple turns, all bets are off after day 3. Keep your wizard well protected.

• While I playtest very thouroughly, what I can not predict is what effects diplomacy will have. The map was designed keeping in mind the request 'players should roleplay the races like the races/alignment really would'. There are no 'artificial rules' I'm imposing though, so enjoy whatever chaos ensues!

• There is alot of randomness to increase replayability and unpredictability. Depending on how the 'dice land', you may find yourself very powerful early on, or under considerable duress.

• If you play smart, you can overcome your limited and quickly dwindling resources WITHOUT having to disband troops. In fact, if you do disband troops, you may find that you get 'stuck' without enough troops to help you claim resources. Or worse, you may find your enemies are really close, and you won't be able to fend them off.

• Its a SMALL map. That means its very dangerous. Play cautious, or gamble big - that's up to you, BUT, if you do gamble, be prepared to go down in flames. On the other hand, a well-timed gamble when another wizard has their guard down could pay off HUGE.

• I'm confident enough in the map's balance that I can recommend it for wizard ladder games. If all players agree right away about making it a ladder game, go ahead and register them.

• lastly, there is a GAME bug I found which pops up semi-often on this map due to unique scripting. It may cause too many units to occupy the same hex, and when it does, you will not be able to move anyone. IT IS NOT A GAME BREAKER, and is an easy fix. Simply save your game, exit out, and reload where you left off. The units will still occupy the same same hex, but you will be able to move them now. It does not cause a restart.

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
posted 06-27-08 00:29 AM EDT (US)     2 / 188  
Kyr the Outcast

The wind howls and the waves crash all through the night. I curse my cold hearted queen for casting me out of my pristine palace for a momentary indiscretion. My few loyal retainers look at me balefully. Unsure that they cast their lot with the right prince.

We awake at dawn and my crew struggles to steer this misbegotten tub to shore. Ahoy! we spy another boat. It is the rest of my followers. Alas there only only two survivors. At least my sturdy pioneers survived the trip. They immediately kiss the shore, vow they will never travel by ship again and setup my new fledgling kingdom.

ts
posted 06-29-08 03:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 188  
Hey Thundarr, turn didn't arrive here. Could you resend please?
posted 06-29-08 03:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 188  
resent
posted 07-01-08 07:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 188  
The Elves

Months (or was it years) we spent on our ships. The cold was just about to get to me and my remaining troops as finally there was land in sight, or was it just more ice... No, this time it's really land.

We made the early decision to settle these harsh lands. Our explorers move out to see what else is there. It cannot possibly be that we are alone out here.

[This message has been edited by LordTheRon (edited 07-01-2008 @ 07:04 PM).]

posted 07-05-08 02:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 188  
Dwarves, Day 1

Did I tell you that I love mountains?

But I love caves the most!

TS

Good luck for everyone. Looks good so far.
posted 07-06-08 01:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 188  
Well... another fine start to this one and we pick up a nice "key".... wonder what it will be used for???
posted 07-07-08 01:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 1 of Conquest

The dankness of the caverns is invigorating and my troops derive great energy from the must and grime, though I myself am motivated by the promise of fresh air, which I seek on this mission. I am a survivalist by nature and intend to conquer new territories, first and foremost for myself, but also for the Goblin Nation, among whose legendary leaders I mean to one day take place. My name is Hellfir and this journal will form the keystone of my legend.

TS 2 Fubarno

EDIT: Yahoo is not sending mail at the moment for some reason, I'll try a bit later.

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

[This message has been edited by King David (edited 07-07-2008 @ 01:33 PM).]

posted 07-08-08 12:52 PM EDT (US)     9 / 188  
ts

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
Download these maps I have made...
Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 07-09-08 00:43 AM EDT (US)     10 / 188  
Kyr the Outcast

Ah cold still is the heart of my new land. A lot of temptations assault my meager forces. One of them is a wiley polar bear who dispatches one of my mounted warriors. The fur coat will go to his family.

ts
posted 07-12-08 04:50 AM EDT (US)     11 / 188  
The Elves day 2

We meet a Frostling who needs help. We'll come to his aid of course! These Orc's will feel our wrath.
---
Sorry for the restart. Had to reinstall vista on my laptop last weekend.
posted 07-14-08 04:45 PM EDT (US)     12 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 2

On the way to reinforcements.

And then, we will go underground...

TS
posted 07-15-08 12:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 188  
Day 2

Strangely familiar day.... we wander about in the frost... start another outpost... and wonder how we're going to fix our income problem
posted 07-16-08 00:37 AM EDT (US)     14 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 2 of Conquest

We advance forward to an ideal spot I have found upon which I shall establish the outpost of Hellfir's Crossing. Unlikely scouts are sent forth to prod the horizon, the light which they themselves generate is the only light they possess to guide them into the shadows.

TS 2 Fubarno

Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

posted 07-21-08 10:09 PM EDT (US)     15 / 188  
Kyr the Outcast

Unwelcome news in the night. It seems there is an ice dragon on the loose! This could be a short exile. A quest is completed and another polar bear skin now adorns my shoulders.

The morrow brings my final outpost to be established and less stress on the royal treasury.

ts
posted 07-23-08 05:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 188  
Nimbus the Grey

Hmmm we win a tough fight with a shade, but other things are looming on the horizon.
posted 07-25-08 05:15 AM EDT (US)     17 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 3

We captured two more mines and take a look underground. A wandering mole is on the way, so we had to withdraw.

TS
posted 07-25-08 11:23 PM EDT (US)     18 / 188  
Day 3

We capture a mine!!! Wow... now we're only losing about 30 gold/day.... and the next mine will take a couple days to get to

And that polar bear is wandering around out there...
posted 07-26-08 03:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 3 of Conquest

I have established the outpost of Hellfir's Crossing on a spit of land chosen for the protection it affords and its suitability as a center of explorations and conquest. Already our scouts begin to report contact with savage races; a lizard bearing a shield of blue was spotted in an underground lake. Before we can claim success in our mission, this land will be purged of all that does not adapt to our superior ways. May our torches burn bright as they guide us through the dark horizons we shall come to pass on this journey.

TS 2 Fubarno

EDIT: Restart as I am returned from vacation to my regular computer(game started while I was away).

[This message has been edited by King David (edited 07-26-2008 @ 03:47 PM).]

posted 07-26-08 11:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 188  
The elven wizard stumbles within range of the bulk of my war-band and I order them forward. They lock shields and advance to victory. With his last gasp this elf with a grey cloak slowly turning red cursed me to never find the golden ring. I touch iron to avert his curse and send scouts out to see what riches I might aquire beyond this frontier.

---------------------------------------------------------

Sorry LtR for the early exit.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 07-27-08 01:34 AM EDT (US)     21 / 188  
Kyr the Outcast

Some hidden friends appear. The claim to be part of a long lost band of exiles. The queen must have been busier than I thought. No matter with their help my my new kingdom may thrive.

We found the Ice Dragon's home unfortunately we released the block that keeps them from our home. Maybe he'll get indigestion on my tempermental unicorn.

ts
posted 07-27-08 03:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 188  
Nimbus the Grey

That was a quick voyage to the void...
This was very bad timing. The Orc wizard came in to my view on my last move, just when my forces had finished a tough fight. Oh well, it was my own fault, I should have been more careful.
posted 08-02-08 06:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 4

Collecting reinforcements and still marching.

TS
posted 08-07-08 08:07 PM EDT (US)     24 / 188  
Methinks we had plenty of money this morning.... so we bought the nice hero that wanted to join us... now we're out of money

That's ok... another mine will fall in the morning and we'll be positive...
posted 08-11-08 07:08 PM EDT (US)     25 / 188  
Kyr the Outcast

My sleep is uneasy as I hear the sounds of dragon raids in the night. My shipping fleet is much smaller the royal bank account now as a few more days left before I am reduced to eating snow. Fortunately I found a mine that can be taken and a lonely group of frostlings has been found are willing to join my kingdom ... for price.

ts
posted 08-13-08 04:27 AM EDT (US)     26 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 5

We've received an intruder alert. But where are the intruders?

TS
posted 08-18-08 10:11 PM EDT (US)     27 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 5 of Conquest

One of our scouts did not send back its daily report, so we fear that the forest got it. Other scouts have made some interesting discoveries. Conscruction is slow in the caverns and our workers are fairly lazy. Only my beetle has shown initiative of his own and I am indebted to him.

TS 2 Fubarno

posted 08-18-08 10:12 PM EDT (US)     28 / 188  
Not sure what we were thinking attacking ice launchers with all our fire hardened troops.... well... we wander around a bit.
posted 08-23-08 01:26 AM EDT (US)     29 / 188  
It looks as though the lands of Nimbus will be difficult to reach without a ship.

Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 09-02-08 05:19 AM EDT (US)     30 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 6

We actually couldn't see the intruder, but we saw the fight of the dire toad against some area guarding dire penguins. Poor toad. Now we will face them in the night, but we are prepared well against this awesome creatures.

TS
posted 09-03-08 11:22 PM EDT (US)     31 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 6 of Conquest

One of my scouts sent back enough wood for my garrison to wile away the time building a wall.

TS 2 Fubarno

posted 09-05-08 05:28 AM EDT (US)     32 / 188  
Game crashes to desktop when I attempt to open. I emailed KD regarding this to see if a resend or some other solution can fix this.

Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 09-06-08 11:46 PM EDT (US)     33 / 188  
I replayed my turn and sent it on. I discovered that I had swapped the Arena gfx for a new structure I'm working on for patch 1.5 I do that when I'm trying structures and sometimes forget to switch back before playing. I've never had a problem with it, but this structure wasn't lined up exactly with the Arena gfx and it might be that that was causing a problem (ie, the structure footprint fell on an incompatible hex). If it works for Fubarno, I guess that will be what had happened. Anyway, I made the same moves, no battles fought, etc.

Fingers crossed

posted 09-11-08 01:39 AM EDT (US)     34 / 188  
Well at least the pesky dragon is waiting to digest the last batch of followers before starting on another.

ts
posted 09-12-08 09:00 AM EDT (US)     35 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 7

Surprisingly the night was quiet, so we were able to attack the Dire Penguins in the early morning.

Although it was a hard fight our main army won, but is now heavily wounded. The have time to recover on the way to the next target, but it looks like we are trapped here on our small island. Maybe underground will be a connection to the other continent.

TS
posted 09-17-08 02:40 PM EDT (US)     36 / 188  
Wandered around, got another mine, income getting better, area guards keep attacking my frogs that are out there scouting.
posted 09-19-08 09:29 PM EDT (US)     37 / 188  
Haggatha Hellfir - Day 7 of Conquest

A scout was not heard from and is presumed dead. Another reports War with an explorer named Glim Glendon. A mine was claimed. Unnapu has reached Hellfir's Crossing and has joined our party, though a heavy price was exacted from our coffers. I was also given a quest at a shrine today, though to complete it we must cross a river and have no boat.

TS 2 Fubarno

Game gave me a restart, I presume because I replayed the last turn (see previous log) when the game crashed on Fubarno. In the meanwhile, he got his turn working, which means he never used the turn I replayed. I was given the "this is not the original turn message" this time, though it was a new turn for me. Only one minor battle with no injuries incurred to my troops.

posted 09-25-08 05:24 AM EDT (US)     38 / 188  
My war horde grew today as did my coffers after raiding three crypts without loss. Three items found of average use. The search for the ring continues.

Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 10-03-08 00:57 AM EDT (US)     39 / 188  
One less flying icicle.

ts
posted 10-06-08 12:23 PM EDT (US)     40 / 188  
Glim Glendon, Day 8

An act of brutal violence!!! Haggatha Hellfir has captured a mine of us without any warning.

Don't you think you should have invited first??

What an impudent behaviour!

TS
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » The Golden Ring : Beta game 6
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames