General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoW Chatroom
posted 06-29-11 06:35 AM EDT (US)   
Age of Wonders Chatroom

After some hesitation, I've set up a simple chatroom you can use in your browser here .
Or if you got an IRC client, you can join #AoW -room in irc.mibbit.net network (port 6667).

It's free and simple to use. Feel free to join and discuss any topics you like (in a gentlemanly fashion I hope). You don't have to be an online AoW player, but we can use this chatroom to set up games also.

More info about Mibbit browser client can be found here . It support some nice features in addition to those available in IRC in general.

Cya there.

P.S. You could also check AowNet -room in Hamachi if you're looking to play online (no password required).

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom

[This message has been edited by Griffith (edited 03-29-2014 @ 05:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-29-11 10:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
Cool, now I just need to work out how to get it to notify me if there is any action in the room, as the chances of me happening to click on the browser tab when somebody turns up are probably quite slim

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 06-29-11 12:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
My concerns were unfounded as the header at the top of the tab changes each time somebody chats, so I don't even need to activate sound alerts

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 06-29-11 12:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
Cool! Now a lot of ppl have their wish fulfilled

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 06-30-11 03:23 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
I will give it a try at Friday/Saturday/Sunday

||||||||||||||| End of Wonders |||||||||||||||
posted 06-30-11 04:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
My concerns were unfounded as the header at the top of the tab changes each time somebody chats, so I don't even need to activate sound alerts
There's an option to set sounds in prefs. New message and mention nick sounds are, in my opinion, quite gentle.

Just in case, despite of your previous sentence, you're still interested of notifying sounds.
posted 06-30-11 07:31 AM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
I was very busy during the week but will soon be there maybe tonight or Friday.

We should agree on a mod, too. Plus a link to that mod for all the other joiners here, make things certainly more easier.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-30-11 09:31 AM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
I just try it and found some real AoW maniacs there.
I am sure I will be there in future.
Very nice and well done Griffith!
10/10 points!

I suggest to make a sticky link in the HG forum to this chatroom.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 06-30-2011 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 06-30-11 10:42 AM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
We should agree on a mod, too. Plus a link to that mod for all the other joiners here, make things certainly more easier.
My suggestion would be MP Evolution

We need a fairly small download which is quite close to the original game, ideally

posted 06-30-11 11:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
I play just that mod the past few days, so i am perfectly fine with MP Evolution.

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 06-30-11 04:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Tir abused a few noobs as usual? Probaby roger and griffith. Who else could lost such a way.
posted 06-30-11 10:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
A good way to keep online tradition alive, is writing REPORTS about the matches you have.

It starts with a small intro like: Mod (Ruleset), Players (Race/Magic choices), Modality (FFA, teams, other).

Then you write a story... where did you start and which were the important "global events", for example:
Player A started at corner, rushed Player B at center but lost, then Player C appeared and killed B (since was weakened), and then the rest surrendered because this happened too fast (Player A had no forces to do a fast counter-attack, and Player D was too noobie, still capturing structures in his domain). Winner: Player C

I recommend writing our Online experiences in a separated thread.
@RogerRabid: It would be better in my opinion if this thread http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=30&tn=5420&f=30,5420,0,60 is converted into a "Sticky", but with another welcome message, like "join this chat-room (url) and post here the results".

If everything works and we get many reports, I'll design a formula to have a HG AoW Online Ranking (it would be displayed at the TOP as a list of active players and their scores). Its more motivating when people plays for fame and prestige.

posted 07-01-11 09:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Sounds like those old reports on the german battlefield site

Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 07-03-11 02:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Tir abused a few noobs as usual? Probaby roger and griffith. Who else could lost such a way.
Just keep taking the pills, Lev

posted 07-04-11 04:33 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
lol, Roger
posted 07-10-11 03:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
Hello Griffith,

Thank you for setting this up.

Bluebaby is trying to set up an email game with 3 goodies, and 3 badies on an XL map. We need one more player. I was hoping someone in here would be interested. If anyone is,

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=25,4326,0,60

Eagleman
posted 07-10-11 04:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
Heh, I suppose people still play this amazing game. Thanks for making the channel Griffith, can't promise to frequent it though.
posted 07-13-11 07:00 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
Cheers guys. We've had many visitors on the chatroom, many familiar names and also some new ones. Also many games have been played this last couple of weeks, which is cool.

@Eagleman
I've relayed you message to the chatroom, but not sure if anyone listened.

posted 07-25-11 10:10 AM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
Good to see this set up. I will try to hang out in there whenever I have the possibility to play. Might be not too common, but good to know we have a spot again after Gamespy died out.
posted 07-26-11 07:52 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
Hello AoW people - long time no cast spells!. Glad to see some hardcore fans have made a chat site and hopefully some games will get arranged and played.

SR
posted 07-26-11 10:51 PM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
WB SR

posted 07-28-11 07:30 AM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
hi friends ! It's a good thing to have an unique entry point to organise online games !!! thx !!!

Forget mails, directories and attachments: use PBEM Wrapper
posted 10-24-11 11:35 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
Yes, if you are wanting to play this turn based strategy online there are quite a few of us that meet here regularly. Typically it is myself, Griffith, TirAsleen, LunaPark, Warqueen, Melissya, Jeronimo and others as well. We always welcome newcomers and if you want help downloading mods or strategy tips, Et Cetera, we are more than willing to help with that too (When we're around)! :P
posted 07-31-12 06:05 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
Hmm.. well I'm about half a year late, but I just found the chat room. Do people still use it ?
posted 07-31-12 09:16 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  
a few of us still turn up on the chat.
posted 08-06-12 04:50 AM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
Sure, hop in anytime. There are quite heated discussions every now and then. Even started few games recently.

posted 08-21-12 02:59 AM EDT (US)     26 / 29  
I connected at Mibbit today... I waited for everyone.

posted 08-21-12 05:11 PM EDT (US)     27 / 29  
Typically, when is the best time to chat and play online?

Would be quite interesting getting beaten up for a change.

Take an old, dirty, hungry, mangy, sick and wet dog and feed him and wash him and nurse him back to health, and he will never turn on you and bite you.

This is how man and dog differ.
posted 08-21-12 08:56 PM EDT (US)     28 / 29  
LOL i can't believe you guys still play this online. i don't know if you remember me but i played a few (more, rather) online multiplayer games back when shadow magic came out.
this game is so great, i still play it even today and on single player no less! i like making uber heroes and stuff lol.

anyways, nice to see you guys still going at it. maybe if i have some time i will pop my head into this chatroom. if i can figure it out hehe.
posted 08-22-12 00:36 AM EDT (US)     29 / 29  
Evenings at european time and weekends are probably best, if you're looking for game. Although we dont play that often nowadays, so you might want to hang around for a bit . That might change of course, if theres suddenly more players. Also there are fairly active players on the AowNet -room in Hamachi, which you could check out if you're looking for online games (no password required). Actually could put that info on the opening post..

@Aniston
Not sure if I remember you Aniston, but then again I only started playing at -05 . Anyways, welcome back, and idd its still a great game.

[This message has been edited by Griffith (edited 08-22-2012 @ 00:46 AM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » AoW Chatroom
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames