You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The patch has arrived -> The big Transition!
posted 11-23-05 11:05 AM EDT (US)   
I thought I'd start a thread!

I advise we will all switch to v1.4 immediately. Just like with v1.2-> v1.3. There is a chance for some chaos if people start using 2 different compatible resources, so thats why I start this thread.

Guidelines:

- Read the FAQ! I cannot stress this enough!
- Make clear in the thread that you are switching (or not) and discuss there if needed.
- Send everybody involved in your game an email as well. This is very important! Some people do not check the thread but play a turn when it comes.
- The first few days when you send a turn, you might want to send a (seperate) email with it indicating what ruleset you are using.
- If the situation prolongs that people in this community do not want to switch, the risk of problems exist. I therefore would advise to back up your turns (v14 AND v13) on a more regular basis as an extra security this coming month.

What can go wrong?
The v1.4 resources are compatible with v1.3. That means you will get no error or restart-messages when you continue the game.
This compatibility is great, and it is exactly what a patch should do. But it also holds some risks: what if, for some reason, people do not want to switch (yet)? The following situations can occur:

Situation 1: We agreed to continue in v13 but someone accidentily played the turn in v14.
You may want to postphone the use of the patch in your very close laddergame (or decide to not use it at all) and you have continued with v1.3. Either by not upgrading to the v1.4-patch or simply using the v1.3 patchresources.
- Replay -> try and track down who accidentily sent the turn and have the player before him resend the turn in v13.
- Continue in v1.4. -> because the changes are subtle, it may be very had to trace where it went 'wrong'. Can save you a lot of trouble.

Situation 2: We decided to continue in v13 but played a whole round in v14 without noticing!
Because the changes are subtle, it may be very had to trace where it went wrong. Perhaps you have been playing a whole round without noticing and nobody has a backup
- Continue in v1.4. -> If the v13 turns are all overwritten, this is the best and maybe only viable option. You cannot replay. The alternative is not nice.
- Continue in v1.3. -> Units will keep their new v1.4 abilities and there might even missing priests (if you had built any in the meantime). It should be possible to continue in v13, but it will be a mess for some time... I strongly do not recommend this!

Situation 3: We are playing v1.4 but someone accidentily had the v13 resources active and sent a turn with v13.
- Replay -> try and track down who accidentily sent the turn and have the player before him resend the turn in v13. Have a backup file.
- Continue in v1.4. -> This is NOT the best idea, but you can. Tell the person to be more careful in the future! The priests might give problems and disappear, so restarting is a better idea!

--------------------------
- On a v1.3 map: How will I know someone accidentily played a v14 turn when we agreed to continue in v13?
Units already on the map will have abilities added that were previously not in v13. Eg, Knights will have 'block', and archers 'strike', for example. This will be easy to spot.

- On a v1.3 map: How will I know someone accidentily played a v13 turn when we agreed to continue in v14?
Your racial priest would have disappeared. Units built in cities under v14 will have abilities that were previously removed in v14. For example, the Knight will have Willpower (if no crusader). This is harder to see.

- On a v1.4 map: How will I know someone accidentily played a v13 turn?
This is easy, any map made with v1.4 will (very likely) use new structures and terraintiles. These will not appear in the game, then.
--------------------------

None of the above have to ruin your game, but you will understand that I strongly recommend everybody to all switch. Next to the numerous advantages as listed in the feature list, everybody patching in all situations will prevent the above situations and will make it easier for everyone.

~ Swolte

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 12-01-2005 @ 09:50 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-23-05 01:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
so this acts as an actual patch, and not a patch/mod hybrid?

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
posted 11-23-05 01:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Yes, although you can use the v13 resources through the mod option. Check the FAQ.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-23-05 02:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
ah, thats good to know, since otherwise I heard people saying that they would just use 2 installations in the mean time, and that would cause restarts in every turn.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 11-23-05 11:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
About the possibility to switch between 1.3 and 1.4: after installing this path 1.4 what status has the "1.3" option? Is it the original game or is it a simulation of the original game (whose quality might be compromised depending on the quality of the patch)?

[This message has been edited by Final Bolt (edited 11-23-2005 @ 11:36 PM).]

posted 11-24-05 00:29 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  

Quote:

Is it the original game or is it a simulation of the original game (whose quality might be compromised depending on the quality of the patch)?

The v1.3 Modresources are exactly the same as v13. It's an exact copy that plays and mapmakes exactly the same as before. I have sent several turns with it already and it works without any problems or loss of quality. It's a simple allocation switch of resources.

Do note that I am strongly opposed to continuing to use these resources (or v1.3). A lot of effort went into the patch to make a switch easily possible and to prevent a situation where there will be 2 compatible resources running around. The problems that can (and very likely will) occur are listed above. I dont see why such a situation is worth continueing in v1.3 for.

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-24-2005 @ 00:47 AM).]

posted 11-24-05 00:42 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  

Quote:

I am not sure how that should relate in any way to the 'quality' of the patch.

"Quality" was referred to as merely technical here, not evaluation of content.

Quoted from GM:

... since otherwise I heard people saying that they would just use 2 installations in the mean time, and that would cause restarts in every turn

Is this so? If somebody always plays game A with installation alpha and always plays game B with installation beta, I don't expect continuity problem. - Still, I have not tested it. Have you?

posted 11-24-05 00:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
I submitted my post but had a long edit. That quote was old!

Quote:

since otherwise I heard people saying that they would just use 2 installations in the mean time, and that would cause restarts in every turn

What Greenmonster might mean is people reinstalling the game every time. That will cause restarts. But otherwise, they wont, indeed. But this issue is completely irrelevant because of the modresources that make things very easy (I almost regret putting them in sometimes).

posted 11-24-05 06:30 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
not completely sure about aow:sm, but in aow2 when I was creating my mod I tried to have 2 installations going, 1 just for the mod. every turn of every game in the unmodded instal would get a restart everytime. DXidnt stop until I uninstalled the 2nd installation.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 11-25-05 05:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
About the map editor:
a) is it a newly compiled program or the old one?
b) what happens to old maps when being saved by the editor? I did not see any options as for 1.3 or 1.4. Can I modify/create by use of setup resources 1.3 maps that run under official patch 1.3?

[This message has been edited by Final Bolt (edited 11-25-2005 @ 06:03 AM).]

posted 11-25-05 10:33 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  

Quote:

a) is it a newly compiled program or the old one?

Not sure what you mean here. A bit of both, I guess.
It's the same editor in terms of exe 'code' that steers it. The resources it loads from (units/terrain that will appear) can now differ.

If you have the v13 mod active while you mapmake/play, everything will be the same as before. This means, that the new units/structures/descriptions, etc... will not appear.

Quote:

b) what happens to old maps when being saved by the editor? I did not see any options as for 1.3 or 1.4. Can I modify/create by use of setup resources 1.3 maps that run under official patch 1.3?

Read the FAQ, general Q1 and Q4.
You can mapmake and save your map when the v13 resources are activated through the setup.
For example, for someone that doesn't like the patch at all, having the v13 modresources is just another way of (de- and re-installing to v13) with nothing changed.

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-25-2005 @ 10:34 AM).]

posted 11-26-05 04:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Thanks for the detailed info!
posted 11-29-05 03:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
A variety of people have asked me about the 1.4 patch and the Wizard's Ladder. The official policy is as follows:

You are encouraged if at all possible to switch to the 1.4 patch. However ladder games are consensus operations, and if anyone who is in the game objects, then that game will need to be finished under 1.3 rules. Any new games are assumed to be running under 1.4 if nothing is otherwise discussed during setup.

posted 07-18-06 00:36 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
I have unstickied this topic.

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » The patch has arrived -> The big Transition!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames