You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unofficial Patch V1.5 - Plans and suggestions
« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14 15 16 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 93  Next Page »
posted 12-28-05 11:51 AM EDT (US)   
Note: This thread is meant to provide news about the progress of the v1.5 project. Suggestions are welcome, although more threads will be made in the future to make the information flow more fluent.
If at all possible, keep the thread a summary of ideas with a short explanation. Try and keep discussion on a topic minimal and make a thread and link to it, if you think your topic is up for discussion. Remember that suggestions are meant as a patch and the aim is wide acceptance by the AoW-community. This means that changes must be in line and compatible with existing maps and campaigns. In addition, gameplay changes should take Online, Play by Email and Single Player into account. This is different from a mod that is able to change large gaming concepts or is made for whomever is interested.

PLAN FOR UNOFFICIAL PATCH: VERSION 1.5

WHY DEVELOP AN UNOFFICIAL PATCH V1.5?
- To keep interest in Age of Wonders alive!!
- To keep improving aspects of the game.
- To keep the game interesting and dynamic on a competitive level.
- To dramatically improve the possibilities for mapmakers and modders.
- To enhance community involvement.

HOW CAN I HELP?
The development forums are here and everyone who wants to can sign up and contribute! Core members will be admitted by invitation only.

WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED?

Since the project isn't a financially sponsored or paid endeavour, we have no strict deadline. The patch will not be a rushed product and the necessary time will be taken to fix issues and thoroughly test balance changes. Delays are possible and may take as long as months.

EXPECTED RELEASE DATE:
Currrently undetermined

WHAT IS POSSIBLE?
The teammembers will consist of very able people in the modding/playing/mapmaking/writing world that are capable of working in teams. What is possible will largely depend on the qualities of the teammembers and rules we allow ourselves to break. Decisions regarding some of these issues, as you may understand, are not allowed to be discussed in public on these forums. Please email me at swolte at gmail dot com with questions regarding copyright, hacks, etc...

In terms of additions to the game, v1.5 will be much bolder than v1.4 was.

********************WHAT IS PLANNED SO FAR?********************
This list may be expanded.

CAMPAIGN + Campaign Editor (35% complete)
The campaign will consist out of many linked maps replacing the old campaign (yes, you will be able to switch back and forth). The basic campaign structure therefore is linear but the internal design will allow for as much (perhaps even more than expected...) freedom.
We'll also attempt a campaign editor that actually works so users can make campaigns themselves a lot easier

MORE BUGFIXES (80% complete)

Fixes

RACIAL BOATS/PIONEERS/MACHINES (55% complete)
v1.5 will be a bit bolder in the sense that we will add and replace some existing units. Perhaps only with a couple of races.
- Racial Boats
- Racial Machines
- Racial Pioneers
- Extra Builder unit at Mastery Guild for some Constructor races.

This picture shows Bilge rats (the new Goblin Transport 'boat') transporting nasty Goblins and Kobolds to the human wharf. The peasants and defending pikeman are fleeing for safety towards the old mining tunnel.

NEW HEROES FOR CLASS (80% complete)
This will be the biggest change planned as it will impact gameplay as well as game feel. The intention is to replace existing hero classes with unique graphics (keeping some, but replacing most...). We have decided to go for it, in full force.
Discussion here.

ADDITIONAL WIZARDS and ITEMS. (85% complete)
Some new items and Wizards will be added to the standard library. This means that these can now also show up in the Random Map Generator.

NEW MAPS. (30% complete)
These are maps that will come with the patch. They will show some of the new editor features that will otherwise not be available when playing the game.

This picture shows more water based tiles and units. The whirlpool can suck in even the giant seamonster. On land, there is a fortress holding many magical creatures. and a Seer sees trouble from afar, when a Spiked Maw is flinching its three large, and deadly spikes on his back

MORE NEW UNITS/STRUCTURES/TERRAIN. (80% complete)
Especially mapmakers and single-players will be treated the most with these additions. None of the existing possibilities will be altered or changed. These can be considered as bonuses and have no effect on playing existing maps. Mapmakers can add them at will, the advantage is that a lot of work by fans and hidden opportunities of mapmakers will now be directed supported and easily accessible by everyone.
- New units will also now be available in standard structures (as defenders or recruits), as spirit rewards/infidels.

NEW RACES + RACE SWITCHER (~ temporarily stopped ~)
Another ambitious project is the race switcher. This utility will let you play new races (also in rmg) at the cost of switching one.
Some new races planned:
- Demons
- Gnomes
- Beast
- Fairy
- Lizard

This will be the last priority. If the patch's release is delayed too much, we may opt to do this as a future add-on.

********************WHO WILL BE INVOLVED?********************
These teams will be elaborated as time goes on. This is the current status. Vacant positions will be posted in this thread.

Map Team
This team is the core design team for the campaign
- Morgul666
- Swolte
- A
- Enginerd
- Nyarlathotep
- Albaron

Graphics design Team
This team will create units and structures for the game!
- PawelS
- Swolte
- The_Groll
- Albaron
- Achilles Reborn
- Beastfeast
- TravisII
- MagicIceFlame

Technical Support
- PawelS

NOTES
- This patch will be larger in size than the previous one. For v1.4, size was a restriction for certain additions and for v1.5 we're gonna let that go completely. Especially now that we are adding movies to the Campaign, hitting 500 MB is possible.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 10-16-2011 @ 12:47 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-20-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     391 / 2787  
Making Sanctuary buildable at city-size will have too large impacts on existing maps (especially those that use city limits). And yes, changing unit upkeep is hardcoded.

I agree with TP here:

Quote:

The best way to limit level 4 dominance is to decrease the gap in power by providing boosts in level 1 & 2 plus slightly increase the cost of 4's. This way units stay valuable latter on in the game.

Although this alone won't be enough. V1.4 did a lot of this, btw.

Price increases for lvl-4 are usually a good and 'safe' idea to balance. They rely heavily on hurry production and especially when cities aren't on city-levels, hurrying becomes more difficult.
Another effect is that the AI will benefit from this.

Quote:

Each unit providing specific use to the race but not repeated on higher level units helps too. Like a level 1 or 2 unit with poison strike or seduce but no other units (at least higher level unit) of that town has controlling or poisoning abilities for example. All of which are dwiggs bread & butter concepts.

This is the intra-racial diversity. One of the reasons the Reaper should not have Pass Wall

Quote:

I also like units with weaknesses. Like low/high def/res or elemental weaknesses and so forth. Weaknesses are especially nice for level 4's if none of these other technics I mentioned are used.

This is what Lennart (TS director) says as well and it makes a lot of sense. It would allow other units to be valuable in a supportive role. Unfortunately, these measures aren't as popular, as feedback indicated when making v1.4... Try suggesting 'Cold Weakness' on Red Dragon, or 'Holy Weakness' for Reaper.

Another idea I had is to reduce the rates of growth in villages, towns and cities. This will also affect rushing structures and units and it makes that mid-game phase larger.

V1.5 should not become Dwiggs, imo, but a little more variety than the lvl4 dominance would be a good thing in online games. Once the emphasis is more on lvl3's, level2 and 1 unit will remain more valuable as well. Not to mention that there are a lot more lvl3's (more variety) than there are lvl4's.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-20-2006 @ 08:09 PM).]

posted 11-21-06 01:32 AM EDT (US)     392 / 2787  
Should we change the alignment of Infernal Beholder and Fire bug Queen to Evil or Pure Evil ? Because of its evil look, IMO. It's like the case of TreeHulk.

By the way, is it possible to make the Dragon Hatchling become an adult dragon with your alignment ? Gold for the good, and Black for the evil. With neutral both are fine for them so we should give only two, otherwise neutral may have disadvantage since other neutral dragons are relatively weaker than Gold and Black Dragon.

posted 11-21-06 01:54 AM EDT (US)     393 / 2787  
What I'd like is the following -

Multiple Races
Not in the sense of adding a new race to the game (though the possibility of how Hatifnat did it should be explored since the timelines for this patch is longer), but in terms of adding racial groups of placable units.

Races such as Minotaurs, Nagas, Ogres, Giants, Trolls and Undead should have multiple units right from lvl1 to lvl4 so that racial groups/lands can be simulated by mapmakers. Simiarly, heroes should also be present for these races (with appropriate graphics) to lend more authenticity to these racial groups.
Right now, we have the forest tribals (hardishai et al), the Lizards, the Northerlings and the Red Humans (IMHO, the latter two have so much similarity to the vanilla Humans that they can only be represented as a different faction than as a race itself) and the Dragons (drakes included) but I think that more racial groups will give more options to the mapmaker.

This will, IMO, give a good boost to mapmaking since new racial lands can be simulated with credibility and new stories that deviate from the traditional races can be easily written and implemented.

I will post specifics after thinking this through a bit, but feedback is welcome.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 11-21-06 08:35 AM EDT (US)     394 / 2787  
Yes, although it isn't easy to get the amount of racial units.

Infernal Beholder should have been 'Pure Evil', as it is a demon (you caught a mistake: fixed now ). The Fire Bugs, however, were meant to be neutral. A lot of extra units are evil, simply because there are more abominations available. It also makes them more different from the Shadow Demons. The red in their eyes isn't demonic, but fire, which can hurt either good or evil.

Hmmm, firebug race...

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-21-2006 @ 11:37 AM).]

posted 11-21-06 09:23 AM EDT (US)     395 / 2787  
Time to add my 2 cp...

Don't know if someone mentioned it yet, since this thread have 15pages already (which is scary):

Adding usable abilities for Pioneers: This feature makes AI build them and even found a lot of new cities (I tested this many times). This would make AI more competitive for single player games, especially Random Maps. Abilities could match race, such as trap for Nomads, Self-Destruct for Goblins, Fire Crossbow (3/3) for Dwarves, and so on.

Pioneers Humanoid units rather than Siege Machines: Could be interesting, since they are more likely people moving INSIDE a machine to settle a new city than a machine per se
This also means they could be bought when a wizard is defeated and has them walking around. Not sure if Seduce and etc would make sense though, maybe Willpower is needed.

Water Ships with Attack value: in this thread http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=33,5016,0,allstephenmcginn35 said by doing this AI started building naval armies, this could be considered and tested.

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 11-21-2006 @ 09:28 AM).]

posted 11-21-06 11:31 AM EDT (US)     396 / 2787  
I totally support the racial unit suggestion as outlined by Timelord. I thought one of the best new things added with 1.4 were the lizards(I have to give a shout out to the barbarians in Dwiggs too, very cool).
posted 11-21-06 07:13 PM EDT (US)     397 / 2787  
what i would like to see is overall more units for each of the 15 races, like it was done in na2 mod.

i mean they shouldn't be just in the editor...but standard also to be found in each race unit setup by playing just with the RMG.

its an easy thing, just needs balancing.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 11-22-06 02:06 AM EDT (US)     398 / 2787  
Should we collect in the download section some best scenarios of AoW:SM and Aow2:WT (chosen by experts and user review) which will come with new scenarios in the package. Let's call it a best-of of HG . This way, many good maps which were made by great map makers long time ago will be known to players.
posted 11-22-06 11:20 AM EDT (US)     399 / 2787  
I like that suggestion.
posted 11-22-06 11:36 AM EDT (US)     400 / 2787  
yes that should be done too......i would like to see especially good balanced online maps with some nice and rich ug areas with diggable dirt so tunneling suddenly is an option too.

But those maps should have less content similar like an average RMG setting, just better balanced and arranged.

previously all those maps add too much content, too many and too strong indies on the map, so its a pain to play these online, and main reasion why everyone plays rmg maps there. another one is the surprise factor, but knowing aow1 online too, which had good maps that wasn't so much the problem, but those aow1 maps were not all overloaded with too much content either, wich is more suited to SP and PBEM, where you have more time and do all AI battles in TC.

i also think the aow1 music should be added. Lords of Magic Music files wouldn't hurt too, just an suggestion that was also done in the past for 1.4. I for one, listen to fully customized songs anyways. :-)

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain

[This message has been edited by DarkMystery (edited 11-22-2006 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 11-22-06 11:46 AM EDT (US)     401 / 2787  
Then how about adding some Lords of Magic units also? I used to love that game very much. all the spells and action were real cool.

-= Love heals all =-
The One and only NymphMaster!
Aow-SM Maps: The Titan Gate (4.9/5)
Aow-TWT Maps:Glass (4.6/5)
Got any questions/suggestions regarding my maps? Post them HERE
posted 11-22-06 12:19 PM EDT (US)     402 / 2787  
Yes, I liked that game too, except the real-time combat.

But using units (and music) from other games is risky because of copyright issues.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 11-22-06 02:24 PM EDT (US)     403 / 2787  
Hi in tactical combat why shouldnt we use battlefields like those in AOW1... Just loved them because we have to explore those dungeon..really exlplore to meet them...

Faith is impressive!!!
posted 11-22-06 02:39 PM EDT (US)     404 / 2787  
I dont' think it's possible to resize tactical maps. At least, I've never heard of it being done. Also, it would probably be too big of a change for existing maps for 1.5 to implement, even if it was possible.
posted 11-22-06 03:03 PM EDT (US)     405 / 2787  
Why should all types of heroes appear in the same recruitment site...?
Helaers in Healing houses....
Warriors in some special buildings and so on...
that would be fun...
Not all buildings should have heroes...
like they do in inns.

Faith is impressive!!!
posted 11-22-06 07:14 PM EDT (US)     406 / 2787  
-improve AI use of ship -- they need to learn how to actually use them instead of just moving them around... (is that even possible????)

-have the option to choose AI wizards instead of only having the option for random wizards for random maps

-when generating random map, be able to designate more water terrain!

first suggestion is the most important, last one would be nice too

posted 11-22-06 08:53 PM EDT (US)     407 / 2787  
-- Buildable Units --
Also in response to the unit-suggestions thread: it is very unlikely that we'll be adding buildable units to existing races. With the exception of perhaps a 'Builder Unit' for the Constructor races, I can see only replacements.

However, our programmers are cooking up some cool ideas, so there might be more options.

-- Human Pioneers --
Great idea. You can already see this in various mods. We thought about this in terms of having them racial, but when you remove the 'standard' pioneer image (the cows, etc), it doesn't become instantly recognizable what a pioneer is...

From a user-perspective, it might not be that feasible to do this. More thoughts?

-- Naval Units --
This would be great and there are some ideas although (as posted in that thread) some concerns as well. As far as I know there aren't many test-results (yet).

Quote:

Should we collect in the download section some best scenarios of AoW:SM and Aow2:WT (chosen by experts and user review) which will come with new scenarios in the package. Let's call it a best-of of HG . This way, many good maps which were made by great map makers long time ago will be known to players.

Hmmm, not sure if this really needs to be shipped with the patch (think patchsize...)

Quote:

i would like to see especially good balanced online maps with some nice and rich ug areas with diggable dirt so tunneling suddenly is an option too.

Do you really think that people will use these maps? I think the idea is pretty cool, but I am a bit skeptic. I remember when I was working at TS play-testing those maps to death on LAN only to never see them used in Gamespy. I think the RMG is simply too appealing to online games... Is it worth investing the effort.

I am getting the impression from all the suggestions that some want 'something else' with the RMG. More variety! Almost an 'unoffical' mod that is much more radical and adds units and such.

Then again, isn't that already happening? It's the Age of the Mod in online gaming! V1.5 will be more complete in terms of extra units and will allow more new races to be formed for modders.

-- Songs --
Perhaps a couple, but do we really need to ship this with the patch (again: size)? For the campaign we are doing some, I think.
Of course, some good old AoW1-tunes!

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-22-2006 @ 08:55 PM).]

posted 11-25-06 02:00 AM EDT (US)     408 / 2787  
The Lizard Men as a seperate race, instead of part of the draconian race
posted 11-25-06 10:26 AM EDT (US)     409 / 2787  

Quoted from Swolte:

-- Human Pioneers --
Great idea. You can already see this in various mods. We thought about this in terms of having them racial, but when you remove the 'standard' pioneer image (the cows, etc), it doesn't become instantly recognizable what a pioneer is...

Actually in my post I meant Pioneers as Humanoid *Unit Type* in the Editor, not changing the image of them. Of course changing the image or color, and abilities to match race could be good (Forestry for Elves, Mountaineering for Dwarves etc).

Also usable abilities so AI build them and found cities like I said in previous post

I'm gonna throw an idea here too... how about

Machines with alignment: I always thought it was weird for an evil race to conquer a Dwarf city and make Steam Tanks - it is Dwarven and probably so is the crew making the tank work (unless it is really a remote control tank ). What about giving alignment to machines? Or maybe only special ones such as Steam Tank? Forceship?

Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 11-25-2006 @ 10:31 AM).]

posted 11-25-06 11:27 AM EDT (US)     410 / 2787  
Machines are inanimate objects run by whoever can make or control them. Anything else would be illogical to me and defeat the whole purpose of machines to begin with.
posted 11-25-06 12:39 PM EDT (US)     411 / 2787  
I understood you correctly, Merkraad!

*Agrees with Bam65*

Lizard-race will have to be a resource switch thing. Of course, I think that most people would want to see these (really) back!

posted 11-25-06 01:35 PM EDT (US)     412 / 2787  

Quoted from bam65:

Machines are inanimate objects run by whoever can make or control them. Anything else would be illogical to me and defeat the whole purpose of machines to begin with.

I never saw a 'Control machine' Ability so they are run only by whom makes them. Well, perhaps the Goblins that took the Dwarven city enslaved the Steam Tank dwarven crew... but what you call illogical is also illogical, lol. The game is an abstraction. The machines in AoW ARE remote controlled Some Civ unit images of siege weapons have humanoids activating the machine... now THAT is logical

About pioneers, are they machines too? Why do they take population to be created? So an Engineer sabotages living people? hard to believe he destroys one wheel and all aboard die in a 'car crash' accident but least that's my opinion.

At least those crazy ideas aside, think with care about racial abilities for pioneers, including usable ones so AI build them and make cities

Someone? Made a Mod with Lizard as 16th race right? How is that possible? So 1.5 would have an alternate version with Lizard replacing Draconians?

Blog with some art

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 11-25-2006 @ 01:41 PM).]

posted 11-25-06 02:09 PM EDT (US)     413 / 2787  
Macines you recruit are already made so when you hire them you're just taking control.

[This message has been edited by bam65 (edited 11-25-2006 @ 02:13 PM).]

posted 11-25-06 03:11 PM EDT (US)     414 / 2787  
Yes, and they remote controlled; can't see anyone readying the bolts, or firebombs etc

Blog with some art
posted 11-25-06 04:23 PM EDT (US)     415 / 2787  
Here is the Halfling Cavalier coming home after a long day of warding off wild animals. Halflings are considered a tasty meal, especially in winter and so they need fast and reliable protection. The cavaliers are there to assist the sheriffs doing this job but are not to be underestimated by themselves.

The Cavalier-idea was taken from Dwiggs-mod and modified a bit by PawelS. Structure by KD.

[This message has been edited by swolte (edited 11-26-2006 @ 00:05 AM).]

posted 11-25-06 05:14 PM EDT (US)     416 / 2787  
My point had nothing to do with whether they are remote controlled or not.
posted 11-25-06 07:20 PM EDT (US)     417 / 2787  
Nice image of the halfling cavalier and his abode. Looks cool.
posted 11-26-06 12:25 PM EDT (US)     418 / 2787  
That mod with 16th race made all the independents as Lizardmen
Whenever you encounter an independent whether you lose or win
the message would be" Battle won against Lizardmen" or vice versa
This happened in my game :-)

Faith is impressive!!!

[This message has been edited by Jaaz_prince (edited 11-26-2006 @ 01:11 PM).]

posted 11-26-06 05:01 PM EDT (US)     419 / 2787  

Quote:

Someone? Made a Mod with Lizard as 16th race right? How is that possible? So 1.5 would have an alternate version with Lizard replacing Draconians?

Here it is.
Unfortunately, the addition of 16th race isn't planned

Swimming out with the open sea... Like the great wild herring...

[This message has been edited by hatifnat (edited 11-26-2006 @ 05:02 PM).]

posted 11-26-06 05:18 PM EDT (US)     420 / 2787  
Yes, adding a 16th race is possible, but there are numerous problems associated with it. The one you named being the least...
Trust me, we would have added it in v1.4 if it were feasible.

What v1.5 might might offer is a utility that will make modding a lot easier and elaborate. Instead of just the resources, you can allocate everything, including the language files. Perhaps even campaign files...
TB and PawelS will be working on that idea.

PawelS had an idea for a 'race switcher'. This means that if the patch-team designs races, they can easily be switched with existing ones. For example, if you want to play a (random) map with Demons instead of Shadow Demons, or Lizards instead of Draconians, or Nomads instead of Beastmen, then that is all possible. Of course, when playing online, people will need to have the same settings. There are some limitations, however.
Same goes for mapmakers! The city graphics and language files will be adjusted accordingly. It does mean that the upatch-team will work on creating city graphics and become even busier.

Anyway, this is in a conceptual phase so it might not even fly. Please refrain from speculating too much!

« Previous Page  1 ··· 12 13 14 15 16 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 93  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Unofficial Patch V1.5 - Plans and suggestions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames