Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: “Strategic Objectives: Islands” Scenario
posted 08-07-07 10:31 PM EDT (US)   

“Strategic Objectives: Islands ” is available for AOE3 Vanilla and TWC.

Download it here: Strategic Objectives: Islands

New Features

“Strategic Objectives” qualifies as a new game type.

It allows to capture neutral buildings that are guarded by guardians (such as Forts and Barracks), and even re-capture them from the AI and vice versa.
Captured buildings offer either economic bonus or military bonus (free units).

Players can capture Great Cannons and use them to construct Fixed Guns anywhere on the map.

For more details about the contest, online tournament, and prizes see:

The “Strategic Objectives” Challenge and Give Away

Map Layout

The Player and the AI start on a small island with limited resources.
There is also a main land where the players can expand their base.

The AI

The AI in the new “Strategic Objectives” scenario maps has been enhanced.
The AI is now shrewd and evasive.
This time the AI relies less on numbers and more on tactics, so prepare to be challenged.

The AI is most challenging on “ Normal ” and “Hard” levels, but on “Easy” and “Moderate” levels the AI is not too challenging.

Game play

There are 20+ neutral structures around the map such as Forts, Barracks, Stables, Mills(with villagers) that are guarded by guardians (who are hostile to anyone who passes by) and any of these structures can be captured by any one of the players.

In addition to that players can re-capture them from each other.

Since every building offers either economic bonus or military bonus it is crucial to capture as many of these structures in order to achieve victory.

There is also one Fixed Gun on top of a hill that can be captured, and 5 Great Cannons that can be captured as well.
Once a player captures any one of the Great Cannons he can use it to build a Fixed Gun anywhere on the map after he reaches the Fortress age.

In order to capture any one of these structures the player has to have at least 7 units near it while no guardians or enemy units are left standing in that area.
There is an exception to this rule with fixed guns and great cannons where it takes only one unit to capture any one of them.

Military buildings that can be captured are invulnerable (so they don't get destroyed).

Players get free units from some captured buildings as long as they don't go over 250 population.

Free units and lower unit population allow for up to 200 unit armies (300-400 population).

Buildings that can be captured have two brown flags on both sides of the building.
That is how the player can know if that building can be captured or not.

After 10 minutes of game play the number of villagers is limited to 40 so players cannot train any more villagers (some exceptions apply to French and Dutch).
That makes capturing mills and plantations more important since you can capture or kill their villagers and the other player cannot train new ones (if he still has more than 40 villagers).

When a mill or plantation (that can be captured) is destroyed, the 10 villagers that come with it will be destroyed automatically.

The scenario includes 40+ card home cities for each civ.

Balance Changes

- Villagers have 150 more HP.
- Villagers cost is doubled after 10 minutes.
- Fishing boats are limited to 20.
- Fishing boats cost reduced to 60 wood.
- Explorer has more HP so he doesn't get killed by guardians right away.
- Natives are cheaper.
- Cavalry and cannons take less population.
- Fixed Gun's range was reduced by 15 (it is 55 now for land and still 70 against ships).

Instructions on how to build Fixed Guns:

Fixed Guns can be constructed anywhere on the map once the player gets to the Fortress age and captures a Great Cannon.

There are two ways to build Fixed Guns:
1. Select the Great Cannon and your Explorer at the same time (both of them have to be selected) and the Great Cannon will be converted into a Fixed Gun.

2. Select the Railroad Worker you captured and place it on top of the Great Cannon.

The second method requires more micro but it is also more rewarding.
Every time you use the second method, all your Fixed Guns will gain 5 range, 5000 HP, and your Railroad Worker will gain 1500 HP.

Be careful not to construct Fixed Guns too close to the water as they may be constructed under water and won’t be functional.

Fixed Guns are very powerful and can help to achieve victory.

Scenario Versions

I have made several versions with different civs to play with and different difficulty levels.

For Vanilla:

There are 3 different civ versions and 2 difficulty levels for each civ ( Normal and Hard).

For TWC:

There are 4 different civ versions and 4 difficulty levels for each civ (Easy, Moderate, Normal , and Hard)

“Easy”, “Moderate”, and “Normal” versions are utilizing “Moderate” AI.
The “Hard” version utilizes “Hard” AI.

For average players I would suggest to play the “Moderate” version first.
Very good players can start with the “Normal” version.

No cheating codes are allowed with these scenarios

In the event the cheat codes are being used the AI will receive 100 mercenaries with 20,000 HP.

So just play the level that fits your level the most.

Original Music

I have included one music track from my CD “Mystic World” with this scenario.
The music track is called “Glory” and it plays as opening music.

Scenario Launcher

The “Scenario Launcher” is a special scenario that allows the player to choose the civ he wants to play with.
Once the player chooses his civ the “Scenario Launcher” will launch the appropriate scenario version.

WARNNING

This scenario MUST be executed via one of the “Scenario Launcher” scenarios or directly from the Editor.
Executing one of the scenarios directly may cause AOE3 to crash under certain circumstances.
This issue has been notified to Ensemble and hopefully it will be resolved with the new patch.
In the meantime please use the “Scenario Launcher” and everything will be working fine.

Special Thanks

I want to thank Schildpad (also known as Furby_Killer) for helping me test the various “Strategic Objectives” scenarios and for his important advice.
Schildpad’s help and feedback was most valuable.

I want to thank pftq for his great “Advanced Effects” that helped me enhance the AI to a new level, and to introduce the “Building Fixed Guns” feature.

I also want to thank somme for his brilliant “Villager Second Calculator” which I used for the free units balancing, and to kjn for making the screen shots for me.

Many thanks to Ensemble Studious for the Custom Scenarios Online (CSO) feature that all of us are waiting for impatiently.

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 09-11-2007 @ 00:40 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-10-07 01:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  

It was reported to me that Spain doesn’t have Home City.
I have looked into it and fixed the problem, so you can re-download the scenarios if you want to play with Spain.

In fact you are probably going to like Spain even more because Spain now have 4 decks to choose from where each deck has 43 to 44 cards.
The 4 decks are: Balanced, Economy, Military, and Naval.

The names say it all.
All decks share the 24 cards and have 19 to 20 unique cards.
The shared cards are the most common ones such as villagers, covered wagon, fort, factory, and so on.

So I think that players can find these decks more than enough to accommodate any strategy they have in mind.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 08-10-2007 @ 08:24 PM).]

posted 08-17-07 09:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
ok,moshelevi i have 1 question.can you give me online lessons online with screenshots that teach me to make a scenario as good as how you make scenarios-you have helped me in that team i started and i have always wanted to be a good scenario designer i just am not good at making scenarios(especially not the game enviroment)and 1 more thing-if you have aok,can you help me on that too?if yes,thank you so much!if no,sorry for asking.thanks for the time on reading this message,and I hope you say yes!

sincerely,
southern_html

signed,
posted 08-17-07 11:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
southern_html,

It took me more than a year to get to the level that I am now, and I am still learning new things all the time.
There aren’t any short cuts with learning scenario designing, it requires time, patience, reading material and experimenting all the time.

The best way to learn scenario design is to start with AgeofWiki

Over there you can read about the editor functions and about every condition and effect that can be used in the editor.

You can also visit our Scenario Design Library - ask questions here! thread where much more information can be found.

You can also download other scenario and review the triggers that they have.

You can then come back here and ask specific questions, and people here will be happy to help you and answer your questions.

That is how I learned scenario designing.
It is a slow process because it takes time to absorb everything.

In regards to AOK, I never used that editor, I started with AOE3.

There is a book you can buy that can help you with scenario design for AOK.
It is called: Microsoft Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings Official Scenario Design Toolkit, and you can purchase it from Amazon really cheap.

It has information about AOK triggers and lots of good advice for making quality scenarios.
In fact, I would recommend this book to anyone who is into scenario designing.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 08-18-2007 @ 00:16 AM).]

posted 08-18-07 07:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Hi Moshe, played your map and I must say is the toughest map I've ever played. And wow! you really know your AI, never seen them so frisky. Great job. Just wondering are the S.O. maps going to go multi?
posted 08-18-07 10:54 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12  

Hi sziggi, I am glad to know that you liked it.

I hope it wasn’t too tough.
Did you play the “Moderate” or the “Normal” version?
It’s probably better to start with the “Moderate” version first, it is not too tough compared to the “Normal” one.

Yes, I programmed the AI to use flanking maneuvers, after all everybody complains about the AI so I figured I would give them what they want.
Just wondering are the S.O. maps going to go multi?
Yes, I have them all pretty much ready for Multiplayer games.
I just need to test them Online and make sure all the triggers work.

Three more “Strategic Objectives” maps are coming soon.
posted 08-18-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
moshilevi,will you at least join my scenario design team?
posted 08-18-07 11:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
moshilevi,will you at least join my scenario design team?
southern_html, I will be happy to join your team for a project or two.
However, I need couple of more months to finish up the “Strategic Objectives” scenarios and to conduct the upcoming contest and tournament.

After that I should have more time for other projects.

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 08-18-2007 @ 11:12 AM).]

posted 08-18-07 05:52 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Played the moderate, and was able to control the sea, and my people seemed happy yet when I came ashore big at thier town missed the mill and the fixed gun didn't change so, well gruesome. Going to practice on the easy map for a bit may then I'll graduate. Would be good to get the conversion tech for the wood exchange was expensive.
posted 08-18-07 10:29 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  

In this scenario it is important to expand to the main land as soon as possible.

You get a free covered wagon when you hit Colonial so just train a Carvel and send the covered wagon, your first military shipment and a few villagers to the east side of the main land.
You then need to capture the buildings there as soon as possible (once you send your second military shipment).

Do that and “Moderate” will be like a walk in the park.
“Normal” and “Hard” is where it becomes more difficult.
posted 09-03-07 09:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
thanks,you are my first member.
posted 09-03-07 11:46 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
LOL IM AN IDIOT nvm

[This message has been edited by Bastiaan (edited 09-03-2007 @ 11:48 AM).]

posted 09-03-07 11:51 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
convertible forts
Hahaha pwned :S

I've been working on a Canada scenario with guardian-patrolled convertible forts now for months, and couldn't make it work. Thanks, I can't wait to play this when I get done with errands today.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » “Strategic Objectives: Islands” Scenario
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames