You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Would you Play Custom Scenarios Online if there is NO XP for that?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-20-07 03:02 AM EDT (US)   

Up until recently I was fighting to have CSO.
Now I need to fight to save CSO.
I believe that with no XP most players won't play CSO, it is a simple as that.

Ensemble is working very hard to add support to CSO, and we don’t want all this work to be wasted.

Several times in the past when I tried to host RMS games online players that joined ask me if the game gives XP.
When I said "No" they left immediately.
I had cases where I was waiting for 45 minutes for 2V2 game and couldn't start the game because players were leaving as soon as they found out the game doesn't give XP.

When I hosted normal games I was able to start the game within 10 minuets at the most.

XP is very important to players because they need the additional cards to be competitive.
These additional cards can make the difference between a win or a lose.

I understand why Ensemble doesn’t want to give XP to CSO and RMS games.
That is because designers can exploit the system and give the players huge amount of XP.
That won’t be right, and I agree this shouldn’t happen.
However, no XP for CSO will just mean that most players wouldn’t want to play these games.

There is a simple solution to this problem.
We can figure out what is the average XP that the players get in a game for a certain time period, and use it as part of a formula to give players XP based on the time period that the CSO game lasted.
Then we can use this formula to give the winners in CSO a reduced XP equal to 75% of the average XP (based on how long the game lasted), and the losers will get only 50% of that average XP.

This way it will not be possible to get more XP than a normal game.
At the same time players will still get XP for CSO and they will not be discouraged from playing CSO.

The same solution can be applied to RMS Online games.

For example, if a player plays Ottoman then his Ottoman home city will gain the XP.
After all, any time we play, we gain experience so why not get XP for that?
A game is game, and the type of the game shouldn’t matter.
What matters is that players will have incentive to play CSO and experience a new kind of game play.

So what is your opinion of this?
Would you play CSO if it doesn’t give XP?

Please go to this thread and express your opinion.
The Case for Giving XP to Custom Scenarios Online and RMS Online

Thank you,

Moshe Levi

[This message has been edited by MosheLevi (edited 03-20-2007 @ 11:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-20-07 04:44 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32  
Since you probably dont need to select HC for scenario (too bad you cant select civ then, that would suck much). Then for which HC should it count? Enough have several HCs for one civ.

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

posted 03-20-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     27 / 32  
I dont think XP should be reqarded for CSO games

on top of Thunder's reasons, I think CS maps can abuse XP farming quite easily.

the whole XP for level up concept is flawed, and we just have to live with it now.

posted 03-20-07 05:37 PM EDT (US)     28 / 32  

Quote:

Since you probably dont need to select HC for scenario (too bad you cant select civ then, that would suck much). Then for which HC should it count? Enough have several HCs for one civ.

To the highest supremacy home city level the player has for the civ he just played.
If he doesn’t have home city for that civ, then he would not get any XP.

Quote:

I think CS maps can abuse XP farming quite easily.

Not if the XP given is limited as I proposed in the original post.

posted 03-20-07 05:38 PM EDT (US)     29 / 32  
I would have no problem playing custom scenarios with no XP, because I like the potential for variety and group play that comes with opening custom maps and scenarios up to the online community. I suppose someday a scenario could be made in which players get to choose their own HC on ESO, but where the game is not just another custom map, i.e. you have to do something different to achieve your objectives than just spam units and crush an enemy.
posted 03-20-07 06:14 PM EDT (US)     30 / 32  
After reading through a herd of posts, I'd have to say I want CSOs to remain as they are currently, with no xp. If we use Moshe's solution, we surrender some control away from the designer, which isn't a very ideal solution to me.

| Botolf the Crazed |
There's treasure everywhere!
Winner of the Kman Lame Puns Award
posted 03-21-07 01:00 AM EDT (US)     31 / 32  
I would. If I wanted xp, I would play standard games. However, you do have a point about half the players not wanting to play of there's no xp. It sucks. But to use your idea would limit the designers, which also sucks, although to a lesser degree. The cool think about CS's is that they aren't limited in what they can do. It's a real catch 22 I think.

Ceres 629's strategy guides

Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire.

0 A.D
posted 03-21-07 03:36 PM EDT (US)     32 / 32  
I'd play, either way. It doesnt really matter to me if your gonna get xp from a game or not (which is probably why my highest hc lvl is 25)
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Would you Play Custom Scenarios Online if there is NO XP for that?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames