Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoK Strategy Articles Collection
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 11-29-04 01:41 PM CT (US)   
Qazitory's Hand Picked Articles to AoK:TC Playing 2004
Based on dragons89's The Ultimate AOK Guide concept.

During my years playing Age of Kings, I've seen a lot of different strategies, ways of thinking, civilization specific threads and wonderful recorded games. Since dragons89's old guide was outdated, and most of the links were broken, I decided to create a whole new post collection. The function is slightly different though, I decreased the number of posts in order for the best threads to stand out. Don't worry though, there's still plenty of threads here.
Please note: Some of the articles here are in post archives, which can only be viewed by registered users.

The very basics

The things listed in this section are very basics for playing this game, and if you intend to be any good at this game, you should learn these.

Luring a boar - Boars have 340 meat each. You just can't let it go, especially because it's one of the fastest ways of gathering food.
Game basics - Some basics on villager production, scouting etc.
Economy basics - Here are some tips to keep your economy running
Scouting basics - If you don't find your resources in time, your opponent will.

Newbie Guides

Most of these guides are somewhat old. This means, the strategies in them don't usually work against human opponents any more. However, the ideas in them are still valuable to new players. You learn the basics very well from them.

Newbie Guide to AOK - This guide by Captn_Kidd is a good start. The guide is very old and the strategies definetly don't work anymore, but it's still a good read for beginners.
OEK's Fast Castle Guide - One Eyed King's Fast Castle Guide for the Terminally Slow is a very good read. While the Fast Castle strategy is not a viable one in 1v1 or 2v2 games anymore, it's still an important step when learning the game. It teaches you to run a good economy.
Grumpy Old Farts' Road of Kings - This guide gives a fairly good insight into how to practice starts. I hate to give this piece of advice, but 'take with a pinch of salt'. Not everything is as black/white the guides makes them to be.
Hotkeys - learn to use them right - A first touch to hotkeys in AoE2:TC. Learning hotkeys makes you a better player, no matter how good you're already.
Road to Expert - An excellent guide written by Ralber.
Recommended Civs for a New Player - Not all civs are equally easy to play. Doug Thompson gives advice to new players in choosing a civ to start with. Read the replies as well, there are some good points.
Tips from Gamers:Slugur - Slugur's tips here are of high importance to new players. This is a must read.
Maps overview - ES maps listed with short descriptions and good instructions.

Strategies

Flush

Don't think of it as a Feudal rush anymore. It is the way the game is played. It is not a rush. That's the first hurdle in thinking the game properly. - DaRq_Minos

The history links here include old flushes, which no longer work against real opponents. They've been included mainly to provide insight into why flushing is important, and of course the historical value. If you're impatient or want to read just one article, read the first one.

Modern
The Flush by Stevay - If you read just one article in this whole guide, make sure it's this.
Tips for Flushing - Good tips, especially from Minos.
A basic flush record - An example of a modern flush, by Chichiri.

Slaghter's Mongol Fast Archer Rush - Something different here. Scroll down for Myll_Slaghter's post with the build order and records.

History
A Fast Feudal Rush - The first flush is often contributed to Gutter_Rat. It included a very fast feudal and an attack with archers.
Mongol Power Flush - An interesting concept into using the Mongol hunting bonus to full extent. Forget the archers and the 3 archery ranges and you may get some ideas into your own playing as Mongols.

Fast castle

Fast Castle, while practically useless in 1v1 and 2v2, still holds its place in bigger team games. Fast castles usually have about 16-17 minute knight rushes.

Slaghter's Knight Rush - A 15:10 castle with knights from 2 stables.

Drush
Dark Age Rushing (Drush) is one of the most controversial strategies out there. It's unquestionably a strategy which can be used to gain a powerful advantage by harassing enemy villagers and maybe even killing them with militia, but some say it's just a waste of time and good players know how to counter it.
However, it's been extensively used even on the highest skill levels on the zone. Go figure. (In recent times, especially with the Master of Huns tournament, drushing has become the #1 strat for 1v1 hun wars. - DaVe)

DRUSH - An old guide. However, it has a couple of good points. The modern drush doesn't usually include having many more than a couple of militia.
Drushing by CutthroatSkunk - A pretty nice article on drushing. Should give you a good idea on what your aims are.

KLEW
KLEW stands for Kidd's Lightning Eagle Warrior. It's basically a very fast castle (~14 minutes) followed by a few eagle warriors. On today's criteria, it's not very useful - but a funny strategy to try. The economy is very weak though, so don't expect it to do wonders (read: anything) vs good opponents.
KLEW by Kidd - A copy of the original article.
Mayan Power Klew - An alternative to Kidd's build order

The Douche

Douching involves deleting your Town Center and rebuilding it next to the enemy town center, using it as an attack weapon. Usually done by civs with TC bonii, such as Persians and Byzantines. Usually doesn't work, if the enemy knows what he's doing.

THE DOUCHE - The Dark Age Rush - Out4Blood's short article on how to do it.
Douche databases - Trouble_4_U's excellent posts on Douching. A bit old, though.
A Douche of Islands - Don't take this rec by Annoyomous (aka. TrixR4Kidz) too seriously, but it's nevertheless funny

MUSH/SMUSH

A monk rush was a clever innovation when people were still going for fast castles. Nowadays, trying a monk rush will get you killed by a flusher - but if you get the chance to try it sometime, go for it! It's fun

The Smush - Saracen monk rush by Out4Blood.
Flammifer's Japanese Monk Rush - A well thought out post.

Grush
Grush (Galley Rush) hasn't changed much during the last few years. It's basically the way water maps are played - if you aren't afraid to get your feet wet on water maps, you can't miss these articles.

Crappy Grushing - A very good and detailed guide to grushing. Read this.
Anyone here wanna learn how to GUSH ? - The scenario here practically holds your hand when you do a grush. You just can't fail with it.
Galley Rushing - Another great article of Grushing, by Lightning_CN.
Slaghter's Grush - A Grush build order by Myll_Slaghter (the third post in the thread).
_NeT_AnGeLs_: Grushing - A grush article from _NeT_ clan.

Fireship Rush
The knight rush of water maps. Still viable in 3v3 and 4v4 games.

Slaghter's Fireship rush - A build order for Fireship rush with Persians (the second post in the thread).

Dock First
- Persians are about the only civ that can build a dock before a lumber camp with standard resources. This can give you a very good boost and on migration, it's usually an important skill to learn.

The Sheriff's Persian Dock First by Captn_KIdd - A very good how-to article.
A record by Slamdrew - A demonstration of dock first

Tips and Helpful information

Useful Tips For Every Player - Chichiri's advice here is not just for newbies, but applies to good players as well. He shows some important points, largely ignored.
Booming - A nice guide for learning booming. Make a note to ignore the military aspect of the guide, though.
Little Known Strategies of the Greats - Winston posted a long series of good articles, well worth the read.
ME_Count_Rahl's tips - Sometimes knowing your goals is more important than having all the best strategies memorized.
Sending villagers back to work easier - A helpful hint from Simfish
Swp's Guide to House Starts - Not all civs have the same kind of start: not knowing what to do in the first couple of seconds will cost you tenfold in the future.
MFO: Mental Strategies - A very good and up-to date article by WH_Eclipse
An Arabian Thought Process from an 1800's head - A detailed guide on how to improve your game.

Deathmatch

DeathMatch -- The Basics - Tonto_DaVe explains the basics of DeathMatch, a good read for starters.
DM - Hun Wars - Huns are the most powerful DM civ because of their bonuses, read this and you'll understand why.

Land Nomad

Land Nomad by Intimatum - The most extensive guide I've seen written on this map. Very good stuff. Be sure to read all of Intimatum's posts in this thread, the guide continues even after the initial posts.
Land Nomad - Understanding the Map - An analysis of the map. Gives a good insight into what the map offers.

Tests and Stats

Unit vs unit tests Summary - Gaparr64's tests, practically everything tested you could ever wish for.
The first issue of Some Things to Think About - Sir Marf of Ans did some nice tests, although they're not done in Gaparrian manner, they're still high quality.
Unique units vs their counterparts - Sir Marf of Ans providing yet more excellent tests.
The complete guide to Saracen market - The Saracen Market bonus is definetly the hardest bonus to use in the game. Reading this article should make it a bit easier.
Unit Upgrade Chart - Forging or Scale mail first for Pikes? Find out here.
Economic Upgrades - Very good analysis on economic upgrades.
Unit Tables - Unit statistics database.
How Monks Really work - An extensive research of how converting works.
Rates of Fire - Keep in mind that the Japanese ROF bonus is now a constant, the article is pre-patch.
Trade Carts - Excellent analysis on how much gold trade carts produce.

Civilization Post Collections Summary - Some post collections listed

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•

[This message has been edited by TOAO_DaVe (edited 02-27-2010 @ 09:04 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-29-04 06:02 PM CT (US)     1 / 95  

Quote:

Boars have 350 meat each. You just can't let it go, especially because it's one of the fastest ways of gathering food.

Boars have 340 food. That's as far as I read, sorry.

Qaz: Thanks, had missed that. Fixed now.

[This message has been edited by Qazitory (edited 11-29-2004 @ 06:07 PM).]

posted 11-29-04 09:27 PM CT (US)     2 / 95  
Nice collection - very helpful. By the way, wasn't there a nice article at MFO about what goes through the mind of a 1800 or something? That was really useful for me. Maybe you should add it.
posted 11-29-04 09:40 PM CT (US)     3 / 95  
An Arabian Thought Process from an 1800's head is the one he's talking about (I think). It's pretty good, I've read it like 10+ times.
posted 11-30-04 07:35 AM CT (US)     4 / 95  
Yes, that is what I was talking about.
posted 12-02-04 11:23 PM CT (US)     5 / 95  
Some of Winston's tip are pretty good too

==============
| Imperial_5 |
==============
| Proud Member of TOAO Clan |
| Find me on AoE2HD: TOAO_Fano |
posted 12-02-04 11:51 PM CT (US)     6 / 95  
OMG for a moment I thought that you erased all the posts. -_^
posted 12-04-04 02:52 AM CT (US)     7 / 95  
posted 12-04-04 04:07 AM CT (US)     8 / 95  

Quote:

Maybe you should also have links to some recorded games.

That'd be a whole new post, probably the length of this. I'll take it into consideration, though.

•Qazitory•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
posted 12-04-04 12:59 PM CT (US)     9 / 95  
I've been considering doing something like that. It would be a post linking to example recorded games for specific points (for example, if someone wants to see how a Drush>FC can be effective or wants a good example of a Persian Fire FC as pocket on Team Islands, etc.).

However, there are 3 main problems:
1. It would take a LOT of work.
2. Unfortunately, there is no longer a single site that one could find these things on anymore. BsK is a clan site now and a lot of the recs they once had are, I believe, no longer available for download.
3. Sites die or change their addresses, so the links would have to be updated constantly.

The other major problem is the question of WHO would benefit. Many of our forumers who need to see expert recs the most for some reason refuse to even listen when others tell them to. Others may watch a few, but the amount of work involved in finding a large amount of recs would not (imho) be worth the potential gain from it.

I would, however, like to create a post where people can post links to recs (their own or those of others) and discuss them. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to review them and I don't know if anyone else would either. Possibly in a couple of months, though.

posted 12-04-04 10:29 PM CT (US)     10 / 95  

Quote:

If you see good articles on drushing, please let me know

cutthroatskunk posted some good mayan drush record recently, maybe u could link to those?

==============
| Imperial_5 |
==============
posted 12-05-04 00:28 AM CT (US)     11 / 95  

Quote:

cutthroatskunk posted some good mayan drush record recently, maybe u could link to those?

Thanks for calling them good...but they're basically rook-grook games. Not worthy of being examples. I wish bskzone still had it's mozart game pack - that would be ideal. Maybe they'll get it back. If so, use that.
posted 12-05-04 05:20 AM CT (US)     12 / 95  
Mozart drush is a strategy of its own in my opinion, could devote a section in the guide just for that. Don't worry, drush records aren't hard to find - I'll add them once I have the time. However, it's drush articles I'm more interested of.

•Qazitory•
posted 12-07-04 10:46 AM CT (US)     13 / 95  
http://www.gof.f2s.com/rokmain.htm
If you don't already have that one, it's a great guide for a starting player. I read it through several times when I was first learning. It gives you concrete things to practice and explains everything in a way that anyone could understand. It was written for the uber-newbie by someone who realized that all guides for "newbies" were written by experts and were a bit too hard to understand.

It's basically a halfway point between what many newbies would think to do (wall in, go to Imp and make lots of pretty UUs) and what you "should" do. It tells you things like use correct strats, always record your game, the computer sucks, focus on econ, use counters, make multiple buildings, etc. But it doesn't just say "do it" it explains why in a way that someone who likes walling up and making 50 longbows can understand.

While some of its links may no longer work, it's really a great resource for a starting player, especially when combined with this post. (I.e., while some links may no longer work, if it says, "Read this article on Fast Castling," someone can look on here for "Fast Castle" and find some good posts.

Sorry if I sound over-enthusiastic about it, but I found it extremely helpful when I was first trying to learn to play "correctly."

[This message has been edited by Gordon (edited 12-07-2004 @ 10:50 AM).]

posted 12-07-04 11:46 AM CT (US)     14 / 95  
You aren't being over enthusastic - that article is a must. That was the first online article I ever read, and it lead me from being a newbie (who thought I was an expert cause I beat the comp) to being a brook online. It helped loads.
posted 12-14-04 08:33 PM CT (US)     15 / 95  
we need more articles for the knight rush...any ideas?

==============
| Imperial_5 |
==============
posted 12-14-04 08:46 PM CT (US)     16 / 95  
What would be included? Knight rush is sorta situation specific. You usually do it as pocket, so what you do totally depends on what your allies are doing. If both sides are losing, you need to defend them well and focus mostly on military. If both are winning, you can boom like a psycho. Obviously, it's even more situational than that.

All you can really put in an article is an FC build that will give you a lot of food and gold with 2 stables and a 16 min Castle. Slaghter's Persian one is good. There are plenty of others out there.

For example (from a random kkab game):
Mongol FC
1-6 sheep
7-10 LC
Loom
11 Boar
12 House, Berries
13-14 Berries
15 boar 2
16 Berries
17 food
18 LC
19-22 food
4 farms
23 2nd LC
24 gold
send 4 vils to deer mill when possible
25-26 (or 27) gold
up
have 11 on wood
make rax

Feudal:
stable, smith
2 vils to gold

make 3 farms
get wood, mill up, bloodlines
make 2nd stable

bow saw and 2nd TC and knights on Castle
send vils to wood, make farms

wheebarrow around 21mins

But I've tried that and sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes you don't have enough wood for the 2nd TC, or maybe not enough to go Castle as fast, or maybe you only have 3 deer so you don't have enough food&wood to do it right. And that all ignores the whole ally thing I mentioned earlier. >_<

posted 12-14-04 08:49 PM CT (US)     17 / 95  
FC is a strat that I can't do for sh|t on arabia. I think that because I play too much LN/Nomad which you very often FC and which have totally different FC (mainly because food is more available), I always end up with only 600 food on arab when my buildings are done, and it takes like 1:30 to get up to 800 while keeping vils coming out.

PS: Hmmm, deer mill, that might be worth trying.

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 12-14-2004 @ 08:49 PM).]

posted 12-16-04 04:13 PM CT (US)     18 / 95  
you cant do a fast castle without deer mill,petard.and just when did you come back from the dead and play aok? i would be playing now,but i am drowning in schoolwork.....
posted 12-17-04 02:29 AM CT (US)     19 / 95  
Well I can, it just involves 3 more farms and being a minute and a half late .

I came back from the dead 2 weeks ago . And now that I'm done with school I can really ramp up my game playing .

posted 12-17-04 12:51 PM CT (US)     20 / 95  
The AoK Report Card---Gives you a basic idea of where the civs stand compared to one another.

...? could this be any helpful to a newbie?

==============
| Imperial_5 |
==============

[This message has been edited by DDRMAX2 (edited 12-18-2004 @ 03:23 PM).]

posted 12-23-04 08:36 PM CT (US)     21 / 95  
Hey Qaz, Mind if I post this up on my website? (I'll give full credit.)

|=)(=| ©hewmen_Ldr |=)(=|
=============================
Chewmen is 5 Years old!
Clan Chewmen - Where the Addiction Begins
posted 12-23-04 08:42 PM CT (US)     22 / 95  

Quote:

you cant do a fast castle without deer mill,petard.and just when did you come back from the dead and play aok? i would be playing now,but i am drowning in schoolwork.....

I have actually seen a lot of players that FC without Milling the Deer. Instead of spending the 100 wood on that Mill, you can get almost two Farms. Basically, make more Farms in advance during Dark, and you should be able to FC without having to get Deer at all (assuming that you have eight Sheep and two Boar).

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.

[This message has been edited by Stevay (edited 12-23-2004 @ 08:43 PM).]

posted 12-23-04 08:53 PM CT (US)     23 / 95  

Quote:

The AoK Report Card---Gives you a basic idea of where the civs stand compared to one another.

I wouldn't recommend that for new players since it's not really a good civ overview. It ranks civs based on their tech trees, not on how effective certain civs are with certain units. Huns get a B+ on cavarly despite having every upgrade and 20% faster stables because they don't have camels. I would rather have 20% faster stables than camels... since then I can make more knights that actually are useful except as counters. It also ignores econ bonuses that make certain units more valuable.

And yes, even a stupid rook like me can do a decent 16:xx FC with 2 stable knight rush with a non-bonused civ and not milling deer. (Kinda useless since most non-bonused civs have lousy knights, of course.) Sometimes I won't even try milling them if I'm not Mongols and there are only 3 and they're not really too close. They're easy prey for one of the wings' scouts (if they go with a stable).

[This message has been edited by Gordon (edited 12-23-2004 @ 08:54 PM).]

posted 12-23-04 08:57 PM CT (US)     24 / 95  

Quote:

Why? Now seriously, is there anyone that even knows about your site that isn't from AoKH?

Quote:

I have actually seen a lot of players that FC without Milling the Deer. Instead of spending the 100 wood on that Mill, you can get almost two Farms. Basically, make more Farms in advance during Dark, and you should be able to FC without having to get Deer at all (assuming that you have eight Sheep and two Boar).

I was going to say the same thing, I never mill deer(when I have 8 sheep and 2 boars) for an FC. I normally just have extra farms and sometimes I put a fourth vill on berries for a bit.

posted 12-24-04 04:08 AM CT (US)     25 / 95  

Quote:

Yeah with the credit it's okay... also give a link to the actual post as well here at AoKH.

Report cards are a bit tricky... Although they're somewhat based on facts, certain pluses and minuses just don't add up. Camels being one issue among others.

•Qazitory•
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » AoK Strategy Articles Collection
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames