Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: World Map VX to be released on friday
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 22 May 2003 00:26 AM EDT (US)   
World Map VX is a 1300x1300 tile scenario map of the world. It is very very big, for example North America would be the size of a normal 1v1 map. Ofcourse one of the most amazing things about this map is it's geographical acuracy. Just looking at the minimap alone is enough to make you drool

Features in the multiplayer version

• a Geographicly acurate portrait of the world
  • a 50 minute spanning day-to-night cycle using the VX lighting pack. (So yes, you can play at night, which alot of people I'm sure would want to do)
  • Eye candy tid-bits worked in to the map, such as tents, abandoned settlements, waterfalls, and even a quary
  • Hidden surprises - look under a tent to see whats inside, loot relics from pyramids, and an apearance by the killer giant duck billed platypus, a near extinct animal. Infact theres only 3 of them in the world.
  • Audio atmosphere - theres about 20 triggers in the World Map that control the sound in the game.
  • Balanced start out - Everyone starts on a small island with a Roc Transport. Everyone also gets 2 sets of the Vision godpower to help them choose a location inwhich to settle in.
  • Smooth Map Layout - the map is designed to be played like a Random Map, meaning that there are fair settlement areas throughout the map, along with rescorces and terrain elements to take advantage of in the surroundings. The map is tweaked to be fair from almost every place.
  • Terrain Elements - theres cliffs, hills, ditches, rivers, lakes, more cliffs, mountains, valleys, and tundras, all transitioning smoothly throughout the map. Terrains blend, shorelines blend, hills transition, everything looks good more or less.
  • Overall theres been more than 60 hours of work on my acount spread out over 6 months to finish this world map. Was it a waste of time? Not really, and it didn't take that much time, just maybe 3 hours work a week. I spend alot of time trying to keep the file size small and have found quite a few genious ways to do that. Right now the map is 850KB, it would probably be around 1.5MB had I not taken any steps to keep the KB low.

Features In the single player version (Coming Soon)

In addition to the features mentioned above...

• there will be 2 types, one is Conquer the world, where it's you against all the computers (there are chances to ally) and then Nomad, which will simulate the multiplayer expiriance by having the computer go out and settle the world. AIs for the single player version are being worked on by Zycat.
  • Findable treasures, that was something I had to cut from the multiplayer version do to balance concerns and technical issues.
  • A complete world, with the north and south pole, along with the lost continent.
  • theres other stuff too that I'm forgetting to add

Features for the Death match version (Coming Soon)

• Starting positions are moved
  • Better starting sequence that suits DM (ceasefire at the start)
  • revamped map to suit Deathmatch play (meaning more room, more centralized rescorces)
  • Tweaked lighting cycle that goes at appropriate Deathmatch Pace.

The map can be played with a maximum of 8 players, to play with less simply make the extra players be computer players before launching the map. Oh, and yes theres fish, even though it's not shown in the full-map screenshot.

I'll be releasing the map for download at both DGDN and AOMH on friday.
    Untill then you can look at these screenshots.
    World Map VX
    Gulf of Mexico
    Part of the Rocky Mountains
    "Oregon Country"
    The Black Sea
    Himilayas
    Waterfall

6 Months, wew I can finally move on to something else now (yes, there is a something else )

Download the map Here!

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 05-26-2003 @ 04:34 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 22 May 2003 00:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 51  
    And to go along with it... DGDN is presenting a Europe map created by me. Oh course it isnt as good as the World map so we waited for it to come so we could announce both at the same time.

http://www.freewebs.com/ccz_realn/Europemap2.jpg (copy and paste) I dont understand these links.

Enjoy both maps.

CCz_Realn
    DGDN_Realn

[This message has been edited by CCz_realn2 (edited 05-22-2003 @ 00:43 AM).]

posted 22 May 2003 02:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 51  
    looking good cheeZy but i have one small problem

you say it is a map of the world

quote:
    cheeZy Monkey:
    "a Geographicly acurate portrait of the world"

but where the hell is Australia we do exisit you know! I didn't see it on the mini map shot you posted but apart from that it's a very good map.

posted 22 May 2003 02:52 AM EDT (US)     3 / 51  
    Scandinavia dosnt look very good on your map but exept for that it looks exiting

no offence

posted 22 May 2003 06:32 AM EDT (US)     4 / 51  
    Looks really fun, except we never got to play. I hope this won't be an issue anymore.

I love how the water is elevated.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
    posted 22 May 2003 07:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 51  
    It looks amazing. I don't doubt it'll be good becausew we've seen quality work in Cheezy's patch. Although I was dissapointed and personally disliked the patch I acknowledge that he worked hard for it and it did add lots of cool features.
    posted 22 May 2003 08:17 AM EDT (US)     6 / 51  
    My Friend and I are huge fans of FFAs and we have been waitign for this map for awhile!

*waits for Guerrand to coem here and be happy*

PrtN_Poshwa
    Bah! My other account got screwed!
    I HATE RESIGN HACKERS
    1800ish- Odin/Zeus
    posted 22 May 2003 10:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 51  
    One question: A map at 400X400 lags like hell in multiplayer even with a 128k connection. Most people have a 56k connection, how will they play this map? Second, its too large. The number of players max in a game is 12, and to reduce lag they will play with like 4 or 6 or 8 max. If N.A. is the size of a 1v1 map, then one guy alone will take ages to fill N.A. The games will takes hours and hours.

What if someone decides to put 3 villies in a transport and hide them somewhere far across the world? That would be so annoying, have you thought about these issues?

posted 22 May 2003 02:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51  
    Aww..no credits?

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
    « . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
    posted 22 May 2003 04:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51  
    This map is great to play on, and the lag is not that horrible either (most lag in games is due to connection speed, not map size). It is also possible to win with a Wonder or by controlling all the (insert large number here) Settlements, like in a normal Supremacy game.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 22 May 2003 04:49 PM EDT (US)     10 / 51  
    posted 22 May 2003 07:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 51  
    I doubt anyone'll try to control all the settlements..there's about 50

posted 22 May 2003 07:47 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51  

Quote:

but where the hell is Australia we do exisit you know!

I'm sure many more people would've gotten ticked off at me if I had only included half of australia There simply wasn't enough room, and the map as big enough already. It's a mostly geographicly currect map of the world, hows that mate

Gaurdian, the map doesn't lag much. It takes about 1-2 minutes to load the map and after that all lag is detirmined by connection and your computers power. From the tests we did, we had no problems doing 2v2s, and there wasn't much lag even though 2 of us had modems.
    Yes the map is too large. Originally it was 1000x1000 tiles but I ran out of room and had to move everything to a 1300x1300 map. So yes, I technicly did start making the map from near scratch again at one point.

It's rediculous to have a 2v2 spread around the world, so I suggest that you and whoever you're playing with decide in what area to play in, such as choose to settle only in NA, or SA, or Asia etc. The map is big so that it can be replayed alot. The games don't take hours, infact the longest game we did durring all my tests (new and old) was 45 minutes. Provided that you keep to one area ofcourse.

Quote:

What if someone decides to put 3 villies in a transport and hide them somewhere far across the world? That would be so annoying, have you thought about these issues?

I haven't spent 6 months twiddling my thumbs. The computer players and the rocs are discarded 10 minutes into the game. It'll both get rid of the roc transports so people can't go hide, and also gets rid of the computer players.

Quote:

If N.A. is the size of a 1v1 map, then one guy alone will take ages to fill N.A

If you play like a newbie who makes 1 villager every 5 minutes then yes, it'll take you ages to fill north america.

@Shiva and company: Yes, you and the other testers who bothered to show up are mentioned in the readme

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 22 May 2003 08:01 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51  
    I wouldn't suggest playing this with random people. Play with friends and decide a "continent" to go to. What me and the other play-testers did was choose to North America..worked out pretty well. We had villy wars for a bit, then me and my Matei went to another location (central USA :P) and started building settlements there.

posted 22 May 2003 08:13 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51  
    Yep, infact heres a screenshot from that game.
    http://hometown.aol.com/cheezymonkey1/pics/ingame1.jpg .

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 23 May 2003 01:54 AM EDT (US)     15 / 51  
    That's Much Better CheeZy

btw? when will the sp verion be out?

[This message has been edited by BYRNZIE (edited 05-23-2003 @ 01:58 AM).]

posted 23 May 2003 11:39 AM EDT (US)     16 / 51  
    I'm not sure yet, but probably a while. Gotta get those AIs first ofcourse.

map is out! Get it Here!

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 05-23-2003 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 23 May 2003 01:53 PM EDT (US)     17 / 51  
    Very very cool map. I kinda looked at it for a while in editor first just so I knew what it looked like. Its really good.
    I then decided to play it with some friends, I put in 4 comps so we'd have a 2v2, and they started to download but it was taking hours so I just transferred it to them over msn messenger and they got it much quicker, we all went back and clicked it, the words launching came up and went 5....4 then nothing happened. Just stayed there for about 20minutes and I then restarted the comp, so as much as I'd love to, I don't think Ill be playing it online cus of lag.
    posted 23 May 2003 05:29 PM EDT (US)     18 / 51  
    kudos CheeZy, kudos

^Redwolf^
    Don't sit there and take it! They built it we can break it!-AF
    Voted The AOMH favorite newbie '03(first semester)
    Member of the Phantom Warrior clan
    Proud Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
    \...\Skate and Destroy/.../
    posted 24 May 2003 00:21 AM EDT (US)     19 / 51  
    Hey good work cheesy.But i cant play the multiplayer version because i dont have internet explorer 6 anymore.I had to delete it because it stuffed my links up.So i cant wait to the single player scenario comes out.And will that ai actually work? the enhanced ai doesn't work for TOS_north america.
    posted 24 May 2003 01:15 AM EDT (US)     20 / 51  
    Zycat is making an AI specially for the single player version.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 24 May 2003 03:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 51  
    This is quite spectacular. A masterpiece really, and it most designers know that a masterpiece on AoM takes agges andAGES to finish. This world map is another result of DGDN's and Cheezy's skill and dedication to their work.

The only complaint I have is lag. Like the map editor patch, lag has ruined the entire thing. A 2v2 online with a 56k modem is quite impossible. Also, we enjoy going across the word. If we wanted a 2v2 on NA only it would be so boring, why don't we just make an N.A. map? Nah, we go across the world and sometimes we can't find each other..lol. Thats amazing, I love that, but it needs more players and the lag can't support it.

Other than that, great map. Highly anticipating the single player mode.

posted 25 May 2003 01:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51  
    I've had similar problems uploading my "Peloponnesian War" map via ESO. Most people get "download failed" about 6 or 7 times before they actually download the entire map. This is quite distressing since the map is a 6 player diplomacy map. That's quite a few failed downloads and re-enters. It usually takes a half hour or more to get a game going.
    posted 25 May 2003 01:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51  
    I love it, there is also so much less lag than I expected. Just wish we could make the map round, and you had Australia/Poles.

Scandinavia looks a little funky, man.

Can I make water that is small and really shallow in waterbodies.xml? Those little creeks are nice.

Exiled
    Battle Dwarves
    Battlefields: Kemsyt's Uprise

Mistacheese wins the "Person-who-secretly-emmits-CheeZy's-thoughts" award - Cheezy
    posted 25 May 2003 03:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 51  
    you can, and you can also make them manually with normal water. Like paint a river, then level it at a certain terrain, then paint land around the edges to make it smaller.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 25 May 2003 03:56 PM EDT (US)     25 / 51  
    Yes, that just takes so long. Why would they put a limit...

Exiled
    Battle Dwarves
    Battlefields: Kemsyt's Uprise

Mistacheese wins the "Person-who-secretly-emmits-CheeZy's-thoughts" award - Cheezy
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » World Map VX to be released on friday
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames