You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: ...::: Artistic Screenshot Competition :::...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 30 June 2004 10:00 AM EDT (US)   
Ambition Designs proudly presents:

The Artistic Screenshot Competition

Recently, Ambition Designs decided to host an Artistic Screenshot Competition. And with "artistic", I mean screenshots that have a certain atmosphere. I’ll give an example: A Snowy Winter, some time ago submitted to the AoMH eyecandy thread by WhoAskedYou.

As you can see, there isn’t really much spectacular eyecandy. There are only a few objects - a couple of deers, some trees, a bridge and thats it - but still I enjoy looking at it! How come? It’s the atmosphere in the screenshot. It has *something extra*, and that little extra is what we’re looking for in this contest.
So, please mind that this competition is not an eyecandy contest! To be honest, most submissions to the eyecandy thread won’t even have a slight chance of winning, however beautiful they are. So, don’t just put together tons of taproot sprigs to create a huge dinosaur’s skeleton - it’s beautiful eyecandy, but it’s not a contest winner!

Conditions:

• Your screenshot has to illustrate one of the larger themes in life. Possible themes could be: anger, jealousy, friendship, loneliness, freedom, sadness, death, and many many more!
  • The use of mods is not allowed. However, the following things can be used legally and should give you some ideas: lighting; triggered effects (in example creating SFX objects, render snow/sky, unit animations and godpowers); camera angles; object enlargment; object overlap; and in fact all the effects achievable with Reyk’s New Editor Mod (this makes the New Editor the only legal mod!).
  • The maximum amount of submissions is five screenshots per person.
  • Not all screenshots of one participant have to illustrate the same theme, of course.
  • Once you have submitted a screenshot, you cannot exchange it for another one. So, think twice be for you submit one.

The prizes

We will be giving away three prizes, generously put at our disposal by Foute Shirts.nl.
The three prizes will be mousepads printed with the winning screenshots! Each winner will of course recieve a mousepad with his/her own screenshot on it, to avoid people from ritually burning them.

Submitting your screenshots

For questions, suggestions, or of course to participate in this contest, send your screenshots in .JPG format to: ambition@oddworldjunkie.com
Make sure your email with the attached screenshot contains the following information:

Quoted from Submission email:

Forum name: (your forum name here)
Emailaddress: (your emailadress for us to contact here)
Forum: (the forum you visit here)
Theme: (the theme(s) your screenshot(s) illustrate)

!!!Send them BEFORE August the 15th! Any submissions made after this date will not count!!!

The Judges

The jury will consist of 6 judges. Each of them will pick the 10 screenshots they like the most, and rank them. Each one’s number one will get 10 points, number 2 will get 9 points, number 3 will get 8...and their number 10 will get 1 point. Each screenshots points will then be totalled, resulting in a new top 10. That will be the outcome of this contest. The judges will be:
  • Archaeopterix, leader of Ambition Designs
  • Kor, leader of Woad Creations
  • LJC, co-leader of Ambition Designs
  • SilencedDisciple, minister of development in Ambition Designs
  • Skydragon, lead designer of Ambition Designs.
  • Auron, Member of Tsunami Studios.
We will do our very best on judging your screenshots fairly, and we'll try not to keep you waiting for too long!

Competition Tips

• Keep it subtle and simple! In example, a town created following my Realistic Greek Town guide will not win this contest. Don’t use too many objects: it’s the atmosphere that counts.
  • Pick your lighting set with care: it makes or breaks the atmosphere!
  • Once you’ve created a (in your opinion) nice screenshot, don’t immediatly send it! Wait a day or two, look at it again, wait a little bit more, do one last check and THEN send it.
  • If you want to illustrate the theme ‘death’, it’s very very hard to keep it subtle! Most people will most probably make some kind of a fiery erebus map with skeletons to illustrate this theme. Don’t do that, it won’t win you the contest.

Sponsor

This competition is generously sponsored by:

“Foute shirts” literally means “wrong shirts”, which points at their taste for shirts. It's a Dutch web company that offers various things next to shirts, either printed with one of the funny pictures and texts available, or with your custom print. Check out their website and enjoy either playing around with their mascot or staring at the shocking, funny or just beautiful prints!

Questions? Suggestions?

If you have any questions, suggestions, you can post it here or contact ambition@oddworldjunkie.com. Next to that, I suggest checking the contest-thread in the Ambition Designs forums every now and then.

Good luck all, be creative! The judges are looking forward to your entries!

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 08-09-2004 @ 01:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 30 June 2004 10:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 92  
Sounds cool, I won't enter though...the reputation i have at AD must surely go against me

@How do ya get the sponsor? ;P

posted 30 June 2004 11:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 92  
I'm certain your reputation or popularity with the judges will mean nothing to your success.

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
posted 30 June 2004 01:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 92  
Meh, i may aswell give it a shot...

count me in

posted 30 June 2004 03:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 92  
MWD will probably participate in this contest. Time will show, we got lots of work, but we may make up something

.: Fire Giant :.

» AoMN.de staff member
» Member of the Mythological World Designers, the first German AoM Design Team.
» Member of the project 0 A.D. at Wildfire Games.

posted 30 June 2004 04:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 92  
You got till August the 15th

@Ben, we won't judge you on our previous strugles.

posted 01 July 2004 08:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 92  
I might join aswell.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 01 July 2004 09:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 92  
Sign me in! How are you gonna send these mousepads?

Lexus
Current Designs:
The Silmarillion 5% || Elenamon 75%
The age of Men is over. The time of Orcs has come. Gothmog
posted 01 July 2004 09:43 AM EDT (US)     8 / 92  
Through mail (no, not email).

The winners will be contacted and asked for their addresses.

If they say it's private, then I'll keep the pads myself. No prob at all!

posted 01 July 2004 12:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 92  
This is a nice addition to the community activities and I thank AD for hosting this. If I have time I will definitely try to submit something. Thanks again guys.
posted 01 July 2004 01:02 PM EDT (US)     10 / 92  
We're glad to say that you're welcome.

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
posted 01 July 2004 01:15 PM EDT (US)     11 / 92  
Ill try.

but what if they live far away?you still gonna send in mail?

posted 01 July 2004 01:26 PM EDT (US)     12 / 92  
Well, what do you mean with "far away"? The mighty jungle?

I don't think it matters much whether it's Australia, USA, or China. Mail will reach the proper destination anyway - in general, that is.

Only the homeless will be difficult to track, but I'm pretty sure everyone who has a computer and AoM also has a house :P.

posted 01 July 2004 01:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 92  
Far far away? Belgium, if you're in the USA...

Maybe I'll send a mail, but I won't do it for a prize.

posted 01 July 2004 01:42 PM EDT (US)     14 / 92  
of course ur sending the screenshot by email (duh)

belgium is close, he lives in The Netherlands

I think FOG.
posted 01 July 2004 01:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 92  
Ah, tof

But still not for a prize, thank you.

posted 02 July 2004 12:24 PM EDT (US)     16 / 92  
Can we send any of our five screenshots at any time? Because I may be able to submit one now, but want to create more in a month or so.

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
posted 02 July 2004 12:42 PM EDT (US)     17 / 92  
I dont see why that would be a problem.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
posted 02 July 2004 05:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 92  
Can I play too?

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 02 July 2004 05:13 PM EDT (US)     19 / 92  
Play?

You can participate by sending screenies of course, if that's what you mean

Just so everyone knows: you can send up to 5 screens, and the best one out of those 5 will be chosen to represent you in the contest. This makes sure you cannot win the 1st, 2nd AND 3rd prize

posted 02 July 2004 11:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 92  
this sounds like a really good idea, so i'll give it a try.
posted 04 July 2004 01:29 PM EDT (US)     21 / 92  
Just to make sure you all know: phot-editing your screenshots isn't allowed. They have to be taken right out of AoM/TT. The word "artistic" seems to cause this thought to appear in some participants' minds...

Come on people, there are prizes to be won

posted 04 July 2004 06:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 92  
I'll enter
posted 05 July 2004 12:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 92  
is this where I say i have enterd. if so i'm in.
posted 05 July 2004 03:11 PM EDT (US)     24 / 92  
ok,good good.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
posted 06 July 2004 05:34 AM EDT (US)     25 / 92  
You don't really have to say "I enter" in order to be allowed to participate. You can just send your screens unannounced to ambition@oddworldjunkie.com.

However, some response in the thread would be nice, so that we know how many entries we can expect

The first entries have already been made! *Hurrah*

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » ...::: Artistic Screenshot Competition :::...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames