You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Question Thread Compendium
posted 09 September 2006 06:56 AM EDT (US)   
I have deciced to make all the questions in side the Question Threads (all 3 of them) into one large compendium, while also making them more general, and updating them with current knowlegde, this will of course take some time, but I might as well post the things that I have already done:

Currently 8.27540549% of all posts has been organised!

A.Map Design
a. Elevation
1.How do I make elevation higher then normal?
You need to use random map scripting, a guide by nottud can be found here.

b. Objects
1.How do I place buildings from other gods (like Hades’ wonder while you are Zeus?
You can’t without modding.
2.What is the use of: Testomatic, Victory maker, Seaweed (invisible one), Snowfall, Fertile Plants SFX and Beautiful tree?
These objects are from earlier versions of AoM, and where never removed from the editor list.
3.What is the use of invisible gate? All I see is a rock.
The invisible gate is like a normal gate, with the difference that you see a rock instead of a gate, making it invisible, it still is a gate. An easy way to place it is to first place a normal gate, and then use the ‘Change Unit Type’ effect to change it to the invisible version.
4.Is there a way to get different statues for the buildings? Like a Norse temple with an Isis statue?
You could try to put the object ‘Statue Major God’ on top of the Norse statue, but that is the only way without modding.

B.Editor Functions
a. Randomising
1.How do I randomise objects on my map?
This can be done with RMS, randomising anything in your map, but if you look to randomise just certain objects, you are best off using Quest Vars (TT only). A guide can be found here, written by Dr. Nick, Auron, Lp and Papaya.

b. Screenshots
1.Is there a way to take screenshots while having the objectives open, or while having a cinematic, etc.?
You can, use the Print Screen button on your keyboard. Then copy this into Paint or a similar program.

c. Technologies (includes Age advancement)
1.How do you set the starting age for players?
You need to use the effect ‘Set Tech Status’, then select the right player, and the correct age, keep in mind that you need to set things like ‘age 2 Athena’ instead of just ‘age 2’ to get the new units.
2.How do I disable age advancing?
You need to set the age unobtainable for both minor gods, so if you are Zeus, but you don’t want your player to get mythic, it would be ‘Set Tech Status: Age 4 Hephaestus Unobtainable’ and ‘Set Tech Status Age 4 Hera Unobtainable’.
3.Do I have to grant previous upgrades to get the normal bonus from an upgrade? (do I do have to grant ‘Copper Weapons’ before ‘Bronze Weapons’ for the normal attack increase?)
Yes

d. Triggers in general
1.How do I ‘reuse’ a trigger?
Use the effect ‘Fire Event’ and make it fire the same trigger again, or simply loop it, in some instances it would be wise to put a timer in the trigger, to prevent it from activating constantly.
2.How do I make a counter, like the ones you see in the top-right corner?
You need to use ’Fake Counter Set Text’ to display text and ‘Counter:Add Timer’ to display a timer. If you want to have things like "Destroyed Temples: 2/3" use Quest Vars.

e. Basic in-game functions
1.How do I disable the diplomacy screen, so not all players show up?
Go to the ‘Player Data’ menu, and change the tags under visibility to ‘ Hidden’.
2.How do I prevent a player from dieing if he has no units?
Go to the ‘Scenario Data’ menu and disable ‘victory conditions’.
3.Is there a way to hide the mini-map while in the scenario?

<Effect name="HIDE/SHOW Minimap">
<Command>gadgetToggle("AGameMinimap");</Command>
</Effect>

Copy this lines into the typetest.xml (at the end) in the trigger2 folder (TT), and when the effect fires, the Minimap will disappear. (This effect was made by reyk).
4.How do I playtest a scenario inside the editor?
Go the menu saying ‘Scenario’ and click ‘Playtest Scenario’

f. Chat messages
1.How do I put a player’s name in a chat message?
Type {PlayerName(x)}, x being the player number.
2.How do I put Quest Vars in chat messages?
Use the code "+trQuestVarGet("%QVName%") +". Where %QVName% must be replaced by the name of the Quest Var (don't write the %'s). This will however give you 6 decimal behind your number, so you can use this guide by Phoenixx86 to remove these.
3.Can I change the colour the chat messages appear in?
Yes, you can, read this guide by Matei.

g. Trigger Set-ups.
1.How do I make units appear if you have a certain number of resources and my unit is near a specific spot?
Here is a guide written by Reinfire.
2.How do you prevent all units, including flying units from entering an area?
You can use the effect ‘Move from Area’ which you get with reyk’s new triggers, downloadable here. It'll move any unit type that you determined out of the area, at any time, and over and over again. (as long as you put it on loop of course).
3.How do I give a player something once he has reached a certain number of kills?
Use the condition ‘Stat Value’ (TT only), then select the number of kills needed and set the operator to >=. To give a player something each time he has reached a certain number of kills, read this, it is easy to modify for larger numbers of kills. (The guide was written by oddy)
4.I am trying to work with the condition ‘Chat Contains’, but the trigger keeps looping!
Put the effect ‘Clear Chat History’ in your trigger setup.

h. Specials
1.How do you disable special attacks?
Please follow this guide made by pftq (written for TT)

i. Modify unit statistics.
1. How do I change units stats (HP, speed, attack)?
Use the 'Modify Protounit' effect (TT only), some units have different names in the list then in the game, a list of these units can be found here. For AoM (the original), you can use the effect 'Set Tech Status', and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, this has some disadvantages however.
2.How do I change the attack of Son of Osiris, Petsuchos, Osiris or Circe?
You can’t, in fact, these units don’t have an attack, they only have a special attack, which they use as their normal attack, which you can’t modify.
3.How do I rename just created units?
You can’t, you can however place a cinematic block and change it to an unit, and rename it then.
4.How do I allow a transport to carry more units?
Use the effect ‘Modify Protounit’ and select ‘Max contained’ (TT only).
5.Can you modify single units, without modifying the whole group?
No
6.I can’t find an unit in the ‘Modify Protounit’ list!
Some units have a different names there, you can find the changes here. (Put together by FD2).

j. Modify unit appearance
1.How do I make objects bigger and smaller?
Press K to make them bigger, and shift + K to make them smaller. (TT only)
2.How do I rotate unit vertically?
You need to download reyk’s New Editor, this one if you play AoM (the original), and this one if you play The Titans. Then go to 'Position Objects' and a box will appear in the lower left corner. Another way would be like this:

Quoted from AoMPlayer000:

Make a new textfile with Notepad, write the following lines in it, save it with UTF-8 encoding, call it "user.con" and place it in the AoM/startup folder:
map("+control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
map("+control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
map("+alt-control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
map("+alt-control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
map("+s", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitLeft")
map("+d", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitRight") (Don't forget to delete the *.txt extension. It mustn't look like this: "user.con.txt" but simply "user.con"). Now you can use D, S, ctrl+arrowup or ctrl+arrowdown to pitch a unit in the "move object" menu.

3. Is there a way to change the description of relics?
It is possible, but it requires you to alter a few files, and it will apply to all the maps the relic shows up in, so if you are trying to make custom relics, this isn’t of much use.

k. Other
1.How do I get more then 300 population?
You can’t, you could to use ‘Modify Protounit’ (TT only) and lower each units population count to 0 (tip if you just use –100 for each unit, it will probably be 0 for all, saving a lot of time finding out each unit’s population count.)
2.How do I reveal a specific point on the map?
Use the object ‘revealer’ or ‘revealer to player’, if you want this to only be visible once you have reached a certain point in your scenario, first place a ‘revealer to player’ and then use the ‘convert’ effect.
3.How do I make a players view start at a different point on the map?
Place the object ‘Camera Start’ for the player you want to start at the point.
4.How do I set the number of players?
Go to ‘Scenario Data’, you can change it here, then click ok.
5.How do you create lightings?
Most people use reyk’s New editor which has this function build in, this for The Titans Expansion and this one for the original Age of Mythology.
6.How do I stop a player from messing with diplomacy?
Go to the ‘Player Data’ menu, and set visibility to ‘Hidden’
7.What do <=, == and >= mean?
<= means smaller then or equal to.
== equal to exactly.
>= means bigger then or equal to.

C.Game play
a. All
1.How do I make a priest convert animals?
First off, you need to be Set, then simply use your priest to attack the unit. It will then convert it instead.
2.What is the size the ‘spotlight’ picture should be?
256x128 .bmp, then you have to convert it to .ddt with AoMED and give it the following properties: 16 bit, no alpha (0), 5 mip-map levels. Then place it in your textures folders, you can also use already existing pictures, like these for AoM or these for TT. (made by reyk).

D.Cinematics
a. Camera Tracks
1.How do I make smooth camera tracks?
Use more waypoints, this will smoothen the track out.
2.How do I change the camera?
At first you need to unlock the camera, hold Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angel or pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down.

b. Play Dialog
1.How do I have text in my cinematic?
Use the effect ‘Play Dialog’, then type your text in subtitle, first type the text you want in yellow, then a ‘:’ and then type your White text.
2.Once I used ‘Play Dialog’, and tried to make a conversation, only the last message showed up. What am I doing wrong?
You need to put a timer between your messages, like:
Trigger1
Condition: Always
Effects: Play Dialog and Fire Event Trigger 2.
Trigger2
Condition: Timer 5 seconds
Effects: Play Dialog and Fire Event Trigger 3
Trigger3
Condition: Timer 5 seconds
Effects: Play Dialog and Fire Event Trigger 4
3.How do I make the dialog clear again? It now keeps saying my last lines!
Use the effect ‘Play Dialog’ again, but put in -:- the – being a nice hit on your space bar.
4.I have been using voice-overs in my cinematic, but now I have problems with the subtitles!
Instead of playing the voice-over with the ‘Play Dialog’ effect, use the ‘Sound Filename’ effect instead.
5.How do I add pictures during the dialog in a cinematic?
Enter the codes from these lists in portrait.

c. Aborting Cinematics
1.How do I make a cinematic skip able?
You can only make the intro-cinematic skip able, but a guide about this can be found here. (Written by AoMPlayer000, but giving all credit to oddy)
2.How important is it to allow people to abort a cinematic?
In single-player scenarios it is a very handy future, as it might be a problem if the player stays in cinematic mode forever, in multiplayer however, one player knowing how to abort a cinematic can cause big problems, and he might screw up the whole scenario.

d. Animations
1.I have been using the cinematic viewer, but for some reason, I can’t switch animations!
Make sure you are the same player as the player that the unit belongs to.

e. Other
1.How do I make units stand on boats?
These are actually animations, use the effect ‘Set Animation’ to make them show.
2.How do I set cinematic mode off?
Use the effect ‘Cinematic Mode’, but instead of the button saying on, click it to make it say off.
3.My music stops when I start the cinematic!
You probably fired them at the same time, make them fire after each other (it doesn’t matter which you do first).
4.I an trying to use the ‘Shake Camera’ effect, but I can’t get it work, what am I doing wrong?
Use the effect ‘Camera Cut’ instead of ‘Camera Track’ this should solve your problem.
5.How do I add skies to my cinematic?
You need to use the effect ‘Render Sky’, then enter either: ‘SkyBlue’, ‘SkySunset’, ‘SkyWinter’ or ‘SkyStormy’. Also be sure that your camera is in a slightly lower pitch then normal.
6.How do I add custom skies?
the skies' textures are readily available in the textures.bar, but the skies' themselves are defined in the form of 3D models, available in the models.bar. The models, when opened in GMAX, look like big drive-in movie theatre screens that sit out in the black void beyond the edge of the map. Some are larger than others, like the sunset model (I'd think). There are no anim files, so to modify them the textures must be applied directly to the models. The textures themselves actually create a continuous sky when converted, placed together correctly, and then connected at either end. Anyways, the bottom line is you need to open the BRGs with some sort of 3D modelling program and somehow apply your new textures if you want to modify them, aside from just replacing an existing sky's textures... if indeed you were planning on modifying them. The only reported successful attempts where with modifying existing skies, but it should be possible to add new sky names to the skies.xml.

E.Sounds
a. All
1.How do use the X-pack sounds? If I use the effect ‘Sound Filename’ it switches to the folder of the original AoM.( C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound )
Just look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound\xpack
2.How do I add customs sound to my scenario?
Simply place them in your sound folder, and you can select them like any other file.
3.How can I repeat a song over and over?
Trigger1 active.
Condition: Always
Effect: Sound Filename: The song.

Trigger2 active, loop.
Condition: Timer: Length of the song.
Effect: Sound Filename: The song.
4.How do I make my own music tracks?
It is suggested that you use NoteWorthy, a good and cheap program, which comes with a 30-day trial period.

F.Random Maps (RMS) and AI
a. RMS
1.How do I make maps like Marsh and Oasis?
This isn’t scenario design but RMS, there have been several guides written for it that can be found below:
Useful Resources
Advanced RMS: Part 1 - Introduction and Prerequisites
Advanced RMS: Part 2 - Variables
Advanced RMS: Part 3 - Control Statements
Advanced RMS: Part 4 - Functions
Advanced RMS: Part 5 - Triggers in RMS Advanced RMS: Part 6 - Arrays
Advanced RMS: Part 7 - Math Functions
All of these are written by Matei.
2.What does the entering of a ‘seed’ do?
If you enter a number, then enter the number again, you will get the same map, you can pick any number above 0 to do this.

b. AI
1.I have selected an AI, but it doesn’t work!
Be sure not to double-click, first select the AI you want then click ‘ok’
2.The AI doesn’t do anything, can you tell me how to set the AI?
1) Go to Player Data
2) For the computer player, set the control to Computer
3) Click the computer player's AI button
4) Select aomdefaultai.xs, no other file, and press Open, don't double-click
5) Make sure the computer has villagers, starting resources, and a settlement. If you want it to capture new settlements, you must place them using this method.

G.Campaigns
a. All
1.How do I make a campaign?
There was a guide written by KS, available here.
2.How can I look at the campaign (ES-made) maps while in the editor?
You need to extract the .bar file in your scenario folder, you can use this to do so. Then you can select the right scenario and play it.
3.How do I switch from one scenario to another?
You first need to make a campaign file, then use the effect ‘Advance Campaign Progress’
4.How do I make overlays in the campaign menu?

<Overlay offset = "380 200" size = "600 300">In case your overlay is inside a folder that is inside textures type the name of the folder here\Name of the overlay.ddt</Overlay>

You can change the overlay ‘s size and shape with the numbers.

H.Forums
a. All
1.Can I add screenshots to posts?
Yes, you can first upload your screenshots to a site like www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us, then post your picture between [img][/img]tags.
2.On some sites I visit, including this one, the text in Internet Explorer becomes extremely small, what I can do about this?
Go to your menu, then View, followed by Text Size, you can change the size there.
3.How do I use BB-code?
A detailed guide can be found here.

I.Problems and system related questions.
a. Not working scenarios
1.My map OoSed (Out of Synced)!
You should start by uninstalling all mods, if all your maps still OoS, reinstall the game, but if it happens only sometimes with ESO-game play, there is little you can do about it, sorry.
2.My triggers don’t work!
You most likely have a trigger lock, you can find a guide by Gaurdian_112 here.
3.My scenario doesn’t work online, please help!
There are some effects/conditions that don’t work online like: ‘Create Unit’, ‘Visible to Player’, ‘Units Selected’ and ‘Teleport Unit’.

b. System related questions
1.How do I get better graphics
Go to options and put graphics from ‘Low’ to ‘High’, not all computers can handle this however, sometimes you need a better graphics card, ripples in the water appear automatically once you have reached a certain computer standard.
2.Where can I find my scenarios?
In case of default installation:
AoM: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\scenario
TT: My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Scenario
3.Where do I place my downloaded taunts?
Place them in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound\taunts in case you play the original AoM and in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\sound\xpack\xtaunts in case you play The Titans.

c. Other
1.When I open up the editor, all most all the units are gone!
You have most likely installed a mod, it would be wise to uninstall it.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 10-06-2006 @ 03:30 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09 September 2006 12:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Is there a limit of how must text you can put in one post? And how much is it?

No matter what you say
posted 09 September 2006 12:31 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Anastoulis (spelt so wrong I know ) Made one of these and put it up for download, check that out first, and my advice would be to put yours for download, as for the limit, I am not sure. Great work so far BTW, keep grafting!

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 09 September 2006 12:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Just a test.

My Scenario: Battle Pit
There once were four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to do and Everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody would not do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

[This message has been edited by Wadinator (edited 09-09-2006 @ 12:33 PM).]

posted 09 September 2006 12:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Argh! please edit that out!

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 09 September 2006 12:36 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
Anastoupelling only copied everything into files, as the answer to "How do I remove the Titan's LOS" was "Use the search function with the word Titan", which is about as useful as cafeïne-free coffee.

No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 09-09-2006 @ 12:37 PM).]

posted 09 September 2006 12:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
If you post to much, you will receive the message: "cgi-lib.pl: Request to receive too much data: XXXXXX bytes"

But don't worry, its a very high limit.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 09 September 2006 12:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Ok, I can always edit my second post I guess.

No matter what you say
posted 09 September 2006 12:53 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Trust me, you won't hit it.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 09 September 2006 01:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
I only have 4.3%! That limit must be huge

No matter what you say
posted 09 September 2006 02:35 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
While your list is extensive, the individual answers leave much to be desired. Please provide more detailed responses.

Otherwise it's much better than Anastasoulis' "compilation" (if you can call it that). I would lastly suggest that you enlist some other forummers to assist you in reviewing and editing to ensure accuracy.

posted 09 September 2006 02:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
I am not going into full detail, with telling people how to fill in a trigger and stuff, because there are lots of guides telling you how each and every trigger works, if I wanted to I can write a 100-word answer to each question, but there wouldn't be much point to it.

If you do see anything you would like to be expanded:

1. Type the question number
2. Type the new answer
3. I will update

But I am not going to write out every single little detail, as this isn't a guide to understanding the editor, it is a guide to all questions ever asked before.

BTW, I am currently organising it.

No matter what you say
posted 09 September 2006 03:30 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
(51)How do I acess all the guides nottud has written?

Click here to list all my topics which includes all my guides and tricks.

Lol, people might actually find this one useful!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 09 September 2006 03:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
i think the question thread question download is just as useful

Yeah.... I need a better signature
  • City Under Siege
  • Help9113's Cat and mice
  • Random Myth Wars
    AomT name: Help9113 or Quicksilver
    Senario Design team: None (After about 20....)
  • posted 09 September 2006 04:37 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
    I disagree, this will be more organised, easier to acces and easier updated in case of new findings/incorrect answers.

Not only that, but I plan to do all three threads.

P.S: If any wants to help, that is fine, but I think it would be kind of silly if we both did the same part, so please post, and you will asked to work on a specific part.

No matter what you say
    posted 09 September 2006 05:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
    I have added the new way of organising, comments are most welcome.

No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 09-09-2006 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 09 September 2006 06:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
    Very nice. I agree, this is more organised. Besides, this can be updated easier. Keep up the good work Paperfriend.
    posted 10 September 2006 06:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
    Ok, thanks for your support Currenty the first 350 posts have been done, and 350/5897*100%=5.9352213%

Which is quite good for a few hours work.

No matter what you say
    posted 10 September 2006 06:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
    Great organisation now - jsut make the headings stand out more!

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
    posted 10 September 2006 06:32 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
    I will add an index, so you can see where you have to look.

No matter what you say
    posted 10 September 2006 11:51 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
    @ Paperfriend

What a work! Very much needed. But still... what a work!

posted 10 September 2006 12:27 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
    Thanks jml,

If you have any suggestions they would be most welcome, my vanilla knowlegde isn't very large, so please correct me if I make a mistake.

No matter what you say
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Question Thread Compendium
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames