You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: An Advanced Guide To Infinite Leveling
posted 06 October 2009 01:51 PM EDT (US)   

An advanced guide to infinite leveling

by Guard of Olympus

This guide will teach you how to make an advanced infinite leveling system, but it will be easy to undersatnd. I know that there are already two guides on this topic, but this one goes a little more in-depth and explains how to give different amounts of experience per unit. It's made for both noobs and experienced users, though it will most likely mainly fit noobs, as it's rather simple. However, there are some requirements for being able to use this guide. So here's a list:

Requirements

• Custom triggers
    This guide uses a few custom triggers. These triggers are the effect named QV Set Unit Count and the condition is named QV count unit.

• Basic knowledge of QV's
    You need to know basic Quest vars, if you do not know quest vars at all, I suggest you take a look at This guide. It isn't great, though it'll have to do until someone writes a better guide.

That's it, that's all you need to know for understanding this guide.

The Trigger Setup

It's a very simple trigger setup, though it requires three triggers for each unit you want to include. In this example I'll use Anubites and Automatons.

Trigger One
    Active, high priority
    Condition: Always
    Effect: QV Set Unit count, player (the player of the unit), unit:Anubite, QV name:Anubite exp(or anything you want).

Trigger Two
    Active, High priority
    Effect: QV Set Unit count, player of your choice, Automaton as protounit and QV name should be something like Automaton exp.

Trigger Three
    Active, High priority
    Condition: QV Count unit, same player as in the other triggers, operator should be (less than), the QV name should be Anubite Exp and the unit should be "Anubite".
    Effects: 1:Grant resources-player 1-how much xp you want the unit to give and send to player 9(or any other).

(Optional)2: player 0. + (amount of resources) exp or "You gained (amount of resources) exp by killing an Anubite.

3.Fire event: Trigger 1

4.Fire event: Trigger 5

Trigger Four
    Active, High priority
    Condition: QV Count unit, same player as in the other triggers, operator should be (less than), the QV name should be Automaton Exp and the unit should be "Automaton".
    Effects: 1:Grant resources-how much xp you want the unit to give and send to player 9(or any other).

(Optional)2: player 0. + (amount of resources) exp or "You gained (amount of resources) exp by killing an Automaton.

3.Fire event: Trigger 2

4.Fire event: Trigger 6

Trigger Five
    Unactive, high priority
    Effect: Fire event:Trigger 3

Trigger Six
    Unactive, high priority
    Effect: Fire event:Trigger 4

Trigger Seven
    Active, high priority
    Condition: Player resource count- Player 9- the resource chosen for the other triggers-Amount: 100 (or whatever you want).
    Effect: 1. Whatever you want

2.Fire event: trigger 8.

3.Grant resources = -100 of your chosen resource

Trigger Eight
    Unactive, high priority
    Condition:Always
    Effects: Fire event: Trigger 7

Important notes

There are a few things to keep in mind when creating these triggers:

• Player Data- Set player 9 (or whatever player you chosen) to have 0 in all rescources.

• Fire event triggers automatically unactivates a trigger, so be sure to check out that the triggers supposed to be active really are active.

• Adding more units is done with the same setup as the first triggers, only change "Anubite exp" to "YourNewUnits exp" and the protoname to your new units' protoname and so on.

Hope this guide helps some people out.

Final result:

~Guard of Olympus ~
    Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
  • Replies:
    posted 06 October 2009 02:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
    Great work Guard of Olympus. I think you will be able to upload the link with the my guide when I'll finish it . This could take a lot, because now I'm doing other projects, but will be really complete.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 06 October 2009 02:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
    It's an interesting guide Guard of Olympus, but do I understand correctly that with this set up you need to create 3 triggers for each protounit type you want to include as an enemy? That's a lot of triggering to do if you want a lot of different types of enemy.

There are easier ways to grant different experience for different unit types based on unit cost or you could have different players equate to different levels of difficulty and grant experience based on their units killed stat.
    posted 06 October 2009 02:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
    Sure thing, if you realese your QV guide I'll update my link . And people really need a good QV guide so hurry up!

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 02:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
    Perpetual n00b: I don't know what you're talking about, could you plaese be more speciafic. And I think this is an easy way of doing it, it's very simple triggers.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 02:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
    Correct me if I'm wrong but with your set up if you have 10 different types of enemy units then you need at least 30 triggers and if you had twenty enemy types then you'd need at least 60 triggers, right?

There are ways you can grant experience based on Unit Cost and the Units Killed Cost stat, that only take a few triggers but work for all unit types.

I can email you some sample maps with different experience and levelling set ups with some description to go with them if you want to see what I mean.
    posted 06 October 2009 02:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
    Oh yes, I know that system, though you need to set the units cost for that, don't you?

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 02:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
    You don't have to set the unit cost, you can just use the default costs.

I have a trigger set up that can continually randomly change the unit cost for all units if you want to vary experience granted.
    posted 06 October 2009 02:32 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
    Sure, sounds good.

But you wont be able to use the units killed cost for that matter would you. Using there oridginal cost would make it hard to decide how much each unit gives.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 03:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
    This looks interesting, but I won't use it anyway.

Why do only CASTWCRT members post here?

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
    posted 06 October 2009 03:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
    You still use the Unit Killed Cost stat.

I have different methods for adding random modifiers either before or after a kill.

The whole thing is only about 5 or 6 triggers for the basic set up of randomisation, granting experience and levelling.
    posted 06 October 2009 03:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
    Well... I finished recently the beginners part, now I'm working hard at Minigames Y, that will be surely released this month, but then I'll restart make the guide (it will be really complete, including the beginner part that explains how to set, modify, randomize, copy the Quest Vars, the medium part that includes an explanation for every single trigger related to the QVs, with suggetions and tricks, and the advanced part, with the most amazing tricks)

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)

[This message has been edited by lostrozzacavalli (edited 10-06-2009 @ 03:14 PM).]

posted 06 October 2009 03:20 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
    I'm looking forward to the advanced part of it .

However, Perpetual n00b. Units killed cost will display the cost of the units a certain players killed. So you'll have to explain better than that.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 03:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
    Make like a pdf guide out of this and upload it. It would be useful.

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
    posted 06 October 2009 03:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
    Very nice dude! I really like perpetual_n00b's system(s) since I have requested from him leveling randomizations a few weeks back. They are random just like a normal RPG. Cheers again perpetual_n00b btw Guard of Olympus, what you are doing here is great I think but maybe try to write out a guide in Notepad or MS Word because many people do not visit the forums and such. Upload to the Downloads Section dude, people would want this. ;]

|MEMORY|
    posted 06 October 2009 03:25 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
    Thanks a lot for for the positive feedback guys

I tried uploading but it didn't work for some reason.

I'll try again soon.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 06 October 2009 03:33 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
    The file has to be zipped! Just a reminder, lol ;D
    I had trouble uploading few days ago for Chronicles of Arcadia. I wasn't zipping it but just trying to upload the file as .scx!

haha

|MEMORY|
    posted 06 October 2009 03:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
    Haha, that happened to me once too. It took me an hour to figure out what the problem was.

Thanks for the E-mail perpetual, though I still prefere this method as it doesn't include so much QV's. And the QVs this guide include are very simple ones.

But thanks again

~Guard of Olympus ~

[This message has been edited by Guard of Olympus (edited 10-06-2009 @ 03:57 PM).]

posted 06 October 2009 04:37 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
    You're welcome Guard and Kai.

Guard, the benefit I see with your system is that you can be specific about about how much experience the different unit types are worth.

There are many different ways of doing levelling and experience, which means scenario designers can pick a system that works for them.

I'm sure this guide will be useful for many people.
    posted 06 October 2009 05:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
    I'd agree with perpetual noobs way, I use it too.

You just need 2 triggers at the most, and a third one to set all the enemy unit costs (Less QVs, plus you can view the enemy units cost with the editor's info button).

The Gods have left us, therefore making the old world crumble and turn into ashes...

But as the gods return, from the ashes of the old world, shall rise a more beautiful and powerful new world, and life will begin once more, if they hadn't closed...dang you ES.
    posted 06 October 2009 06:18 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
    HEY

This looks surprisingly familier. ... Almost exactly from the CE:E. I feel slightly ripped off now.

Edit: Although, i see the difference. It is specific to unit type and reward per unit type, so i think i prefer this one over perp noobs. But actually, perp noobs is the best, 4 triggers, and you could just modify his with using specific to unit type and it would be the same, but specific. You dont need that custom effect. I dont know what it is, it seems very confusing to me. Just use player unit count or qv check or qv compare. By the way, you might want to add in some colors to this and fix spelling errors and make it more understandable. Other than that, its good. But you see, you did teach me one very useful thing here. I can use my qv unit count effect to make it specific to unit type. Thanks you very much. by the way, you dont give the code to the qv unit count here, so how would people know waht it is?

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 10-06-2009 @ 06:51 PM).]

posted 07 October 2009 02:14 AM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
    Of course, that's a problem. If someone know the code, please post it here.

And I guess perpetual is right, all designers perfer different methods.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 07 October 2009 05:33 AM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
    Here is my version of a QV Set from Player Unit Count Effect, it's not the same one you used but I'm guessing it does the same thing.
       <Effect name="QV Set from Player Unit Count">
    <Param name="QVName" dispName="Var Name" VarType="string">QV1</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="Player" VarType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ProtoUnit" dispName="Unit" VarType="protounit">default</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("%QVName%", trPlayerUnitCountSpecific(%PlayerID%, "%ProtoUnit%"));</Command>
    </Effect>
    And my version of a QV Player Unit Count Condition
       <Condition name="QV Player Unit Count">
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="Player" VarType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ProtoUnit" dispName="Unit" VarType="protounit">default</Param>
    <Param name="Op" dispName="Operator" VarType="operator">==</Param>
    <Param name="QVName" dispName="Var Name" VarType="string">QV1</Param>
    <Expression>trPlayerUnitCountSpecific(%PlayerID%, "%ProtoUnit%") %Op% trQuestVarGet("%QVName%")</Expression>
    </Condition>
    posted 07 October 2009 11:27 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
    Thanks alot

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 07 October 2009 06:04 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
    um, i made a player unit count qv before any of you, its in the castwcrt thread. FEEL ripped off.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 08 October 2009 06:50 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
    Didn't mean to rip you off WinstonShnozwick.

I've gotten into the habit of if I don't know roughly where a trigger is then I won't look for it but instead make my own version.
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » An Advanced Guide To Infinite Leveling
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: