Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Rivendell preview for WotR x 256
posted 01-26-07 10:51 PM EDT (US)   
Until Nojd puts this into rotation on the main page, I will keep this image up. It's a preview shot of what Rivendell looks like on my coming map, using the mod which Kirk Picard and I are putting together.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Feel free to ask any question you'd like about the upcoming Shadows of Middle Earth mod that is slowly taking shape, and feel free to ask questions about the map which is being released with it. I'll do my best to answer them, and if I can't answer them, maybe KP can. My email address is awegustatyahoo.

Pictured are:
Master Elrond
Lord Glorfindel
Lady Arwen (on her horse in the upper left corner)
Sundry units of the Eldar race.

All pictured structures (but for that windmill) are produced by myself. All the unit ILBs are produced by master Kirky. There are many, many new images which are coming with the mod, and they pertain to most of the special places on Middle Earth during the War of the Ring, from the deep places of the Ered Luin to the dazzling heights of Gwaihir's Eyrie. We will eventually make a second release, reaching far back into the Elder Days of Middle Earth, and we'll have unit ILBs for the likes of Queen Melian, and Celebrian, and Sauron the Fair.

It is hard work, but rewarding.

--August

[This message has been edited by awegust (edited 01-26-2007 @ 10:55 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-26-07 11:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 30  
AWEsome! (Guess you'll be hearing that lot )

Is this ONE structure, or a mix of segments that each have a function? Or are they decorative, without function?

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 01-26-07 11:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 30  
The main building is all one piece.

The other buildings are separate pieces, however, and they include watchtowers, a training arena, and a house of healing. The arbors are decorative purely, though the two gazebos are structures in and of themselves (I am thinking about making them recruitment structures, but I need to talk to Kirky about that, and see how he feels). However, in a place like Rivendell, the decorative aspect is really important. It has to look lovely, or it's not going to look like a haven of the Elves.

Glad you like it.
--August

posted 01-27-07 07:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 30  
Wow. Just... wow. People are gonna start buying SM again just to play this mod.

Amazing work guys!

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 01-27-2007 @ 07:14 AM).]

posted 01-27-07 09:38 AM EDT (US)     4 / 30  
Looks real neat. This does create the Elven Effect. But you havent shown any of the dark lords buildings or the Tower with eye. Can you show any images of that tower?

-= Love heals all =-
The One and only NymphMaster!
Aow-SM Maps: The Titan Gate (4.9/5)
Aow-TWT Maps:Glass (4.6/5)
Got any questions/suggestions regarding my maps? Post them HERE
posted 01-27-07 09:47 AM EDT (US)     5 / 30  
Nooo, not too much spoilers, plz!

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 01-27-07 01:17 PM EDT (US)     6 / 30  
Everything in Mordor will stay under wraps until the mod/map is released, and I must say the same for Lothlorien too (the image on the main page, I think it's 97, is totally obsolete).

I may show images of the castle and keep of Dol Guldur, or perhaps the dungeons below it-- but not right yet.

thanks,
August

posted 01-27-07 05:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 30  
Wow !!! I just can't (edit:typo) wait to take a peek on the map !

Yeah ! It's awesome ! The units don't give me much impression but the structures... ! Just take a look at it !

[This message has been edited by naeco (edited 01-27-2007 @ 06:08 PM).]

posted 01-27-07 06:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 30  
I will see about putting up an animated .gif or two. The animated units are top-notch, and Kirky consistently turns out elegant, crystal-clear units. He once described a powerful female unit which I needed badly for the map as "extravagant," and I must say he was right. I don't think we'll preview her specifically, but I will speak with him about which Unit ILBs he might like to reveal.

Who knows, maybe he'll even post them himself? ;-)

Thanks,
August

posted 01-29-07 00:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 30  
Amazing!

Good work guys!

Simply amazing.

posted 02-02-07 12:53 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30  
I must say it looks fantastic !!! I can't wait to try it out Do you have any rough idea when the map is published? (one month, six months or longer).

It must be really, really hard work, not just to make a new map, but also new units, structures, items etc. - My deepest respect to both of you.

Keep up the good work (and especially the cool screenshots )

Cheers
SmellySock

posted 02-02-07 03:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30  
Hi SmellySock.

I am giving no word on when the map and mod are published-- they are going to come as a unit, and I am wary of giving even a ballpark.

It takes me about a week at my leisurely pace to generate the structures for the individual tableaux on the map (by tableaux, I mean individual places of important action in the war of the ring, which can be put into a single phrase... for example Rivendell is one of my Tableaux. Orthanc is one of my tableaux. Dol Guldur is one).

Currently, I am behind schedule on Mithlond, but if I light all burners I hope to get it up to a point today where I can leave it alone until I revisit all of them and do the final tweaks.

Next, I plan on working on the Meduseld and surrounding Edoras... Although, if Kirky wants to start work on some of the darker races, I might hold off the Meduseld and start working on some of the more evil places in the game....

Thanks for your interest.

--August

posted 10-13-07 07:37 AM EDT (US)     12 / 30  
Sorry to dig this up but I saw the preview screen shot on the front page and was surprised at how super ultra awesome it looks but I couldn't find the map/mod anywhere. The only thing I could find was this topic that seams to be more than 6 months old and I was wondering if this project was still active/alive. Looks like a lot of effort went into it, seams unlikely that its creators would just abandon it...maybe I'm just missing something.

[This message has been edited by Jean_Luc (edited 10-13-2007 @ 07:41 AM).]

posted 12-18-07 04:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30  
I'm also super interested in this map/mod.. I hope you guys are still working on it!
posted 12-18-07 04:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30  
Wow. I had seen the screenshot (s) but I did not see this thread! Luckily someone posted here and brought it back up!

Rivendell looks just phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely hope that project is still going on and I can't wait to play it! This will be a new game for sure using the AoW engine, and it's a must for LoTR fans. I have advertised this Mod/Map months ago in a LoTR fansite in my country, and I think people might indeed buy the game just to play this Mod/map!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Awegust and Kirky!

PS: Maybe Santa will bring this as a gift to us who knows

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!

[This message has been edited by Merkraad (edited 12-18-2007 @ 04:49 PM).]

posted 12-19-07 04:20 AM EDT (US)     15 / 30  
I emailed them 3 months ago to ask if I could feature their mod on a tv program and it didn't seem like they were giving up. At least Kirky said he'd created material but I didn't get the impression the flow of work was there. Its hard to restart and pick up pace with a project once it has become stagnant, so I fear the worst (also since neither awegust or Kirky have been showing any sign of life lately).

It is one of those dream projects, the ultimate LoTR map/mod, that are just lying there to be finished, or picked up by someone.

posted 12-19-07 06:17 AM EDT (US)     16 / 30  
Cool on a tv program hehe Just the other day I read in the net a magazine talking about Civilization 4 Mods like Fall From Heaven, Mods are getting more and more interesting - sometimes more than the original game!

I would not worry about Kirk though Swolte. I do know what he is up to so he is very busy - and it is AoW related!(hope I can say that hehe) Don't know about Awegust but I e-mailed him yesterday! We should make a petition or something and help them in any way possible even if its money donation hehe!

It is definitely a dream project, and honestly, this mod/map would be the best game experience with the LoTR!! I played the LoTR action, 'rpg' and rts games out there but with the AoW engine this will just kick ass lol! Oh well I reeeeeally can't wait to see this mod and map as you can see

Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
posted 12-19-07 06:55 AM EDT (US)     17 / 30  
Wow! I must have been hiding under a rock, I had never seen this. I really hope they find the energy to finish this.

Merkraad, you can give the existing by LoTR scenario a shot, it is quite excellent. (By Blackrose, if I recall correctly.)
posted 12-19-07 07:11 AM EDT (US)     18 / 30  
Yes I did play it in single player and online imagine that map with Kirk and Awegust graphics :P

Blog with some art
posted 12-27-07 01:12 AM EDT (US)     19 / 30  
Oh no, don't worry; I'm still here.
posted 12-27-07 06:32 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30  
Blessed be the Valar! There is hope!

Blog with some art
posted 01-02-08 04:28 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30  
*Speechless* Wow! That looks grand indeed! Good luck finishing it, cannot wait (guess I wasn't speechless after all).

Kind regards,

Low
posted 01-10-08 07:16 AM EDT (US)     22 / 30  
Omg, I didn't even notice that people began responding here, I had given up hope. I saw the Rivendell screenshot on the portal again a few days ago, it was such a painful tease. Hope it gets finished, no matter how long it takes.

[This message has been edited by Jean_Luc (edited 01-10-2008 @ 07:16 AM).]

posted 02-17-08 09:36 AM EDT (US)     23 / 30  
will we be able to create other maps with this mod, not nesseraily based on middleearth/LotR world?
posted 10-11-08 05:58 AM EDT (US)     24 / 30  

What's the status on this mod? It looks like it could be the ultimate LoTR map.
BlackRose's map came close, but was IMO flawed by having *too* many units and being too slow paced.
posted 10-12-08 01:29 PM EDT (US)     25 / 30  
Hi PetrusOctavianus,

Well unfortunately this project went into limbo quite a while back and it seems doubtful it will be completed any time soon.

Sorry.

Kirky
posted 10-12-08 01:42 PM EDT (US)     26 / 30  
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I hope this project resumes someday

Blog with some art
posted 11-20-08 03:48 AM EDT (US)     27 / 30  
Wow, that's absolutly beutiful.
thumbs up mate.

Epics Team prowdly presents: the wars of the three eras:

http://bfme2.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,1513,,10
posted 11-20-08 04:42 AM EDT (US)     28 / 30  
Indeed, but the project seems to be on hold for some time

I hope we get this godly map and mod someday. I'm so psyched about it I have to stop thinking of it, or I would go insane...

Blog with some art
posted 11-20-08 07:41 AM EDT (US)     29 / 30  
Although it might look uninspired, I have to give the thousandst WOW !!!
Without the slightest doubt - the most beautiful structures/buildings Iīve seen so far !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It would be more than a pity should these structures not find their way into any mod !!!!
keep it up mates, I have no idea what you intend(ed?) to achieve with this mod but the already achieved work (I can only erfer to the fantastic screenshot...)should not get lost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thatīs the stuff I miss in Dwiggs for example - I love most of the Dwiggs unit-sprites but the structures ...there would have been room for improvement without doubt...

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
posted 11-24-08 08:11 AM EDT (US)     30 / 30  
Try BNW3, it's a whole Brave New World...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » Rivendell preview for WotR x 256
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames