Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Making of...Malacandra
posted 09-08-08 11:53 AM EDT (US)   
After finishing my map called `Clash of Civilization´ I decided to begin on a new one. The map will be called Malacandra for now and is supposed to become a Large map for four players. Many heroes will be custom made with descriptions and I hope to add a good story to the map as well. For now the playable races are: Dwarves, Dark Elves, Hobbits and Orcs. The map will not be completely symmetrical but the races will have much the same starting positions. In this topic I hope to keep those interested posted on the development. It is a lot of work to create a map like this.

For now I do not have a story yet. Some places on the map are already done but most is still blank. Before I will be able to paint that I will need to make up a story. The idea is to continue with the story in my map `Clash of Civilization´. This would mean the return of King Rheno  I am not yet sure about this though.
In this first post I wanted to show some pictures of the first few painted parts on the map. They are not yet final but basically finished. Please feel free to comment on them if you like what you see or when you see things that are not quite there yet! Especially the latter helps me!!! Also any suggestions for the story or trigger and other tips are more than welcome. This is only my third map (second one not yet released) and its quit an ambitious project in my opinion.

This picture shows a part of Tigran territory. It is located in the left corner of the map.
[c]

This picture shows part of the starting position of the dwarves. The idea is they can travel underground early on. The port shows the dwarves great ability to construct.

This is the starting position of the Orcs. I am not yet convinced though that this is good enough and realistic enough.

Start position of the Halflings. I will add some more sparkles making it even more happy looking 
Replies:
posted 09-08-08 01:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Wow!! That´s what I call talent !
Detailed and bautiful!! Very good to see there are still some people around who live the art of mapmaking

I also saw your lately uploaded map, also very nice!
I´d like to play it in pbem I think.

keep it up man!

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
posted 09-08-08 05:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
Like morgull666 I need to post you some lines here. I don´t visit this making of threads a lot, but here I need to write...

From Morgul
Wow!! That´s what I call talent !
Detailed and bautiful!! Very good to see there are still some people around who live the art of mapmaking
What else can I say?
Fantastic work!

From Rheno
It is a lot of work to create a map like this.
Yes
...and its quit an ambitious project in my opinion.
Yes, really! Keep passion. This can become a masterpiece if you keep the passion.

Comments, The Groll.
The first three pics are fantasic!
No negative comment here. The style is simply perfect. You really feel how the land look where this races life.
Maybe some more bones for the Orcs.
The Hobbit Land looks great too but for me a little to chaotic. They like nature and order.
But this is only my small point of view.

So far I can only say: "Congratulation and keep your style."

Mapmaking becomes really a kind of art

Simply perfect how you made the shipyard and how you use the parts of the long bridge. <- one of my personal favorites in upatch 1.4 (I made the bridge and I am allways proud if I see it in maps and here you used it in a superb kind as harbour.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. David´s Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marlene´s_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 09-10-08 04:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
Thank you both for the comments. It means a lot coming from you guys (both of you delivered some really cool maps!) Especially you, the Groll, have been an inspiration for me with the maps you created. There is still much to learn from it concerning storytelling and the use of triggers!

@ the Groll: I agree that the Halfling position is a bit too crowded. I tend to place too many structures making it a bit chaotic.

This is another part of the map of which I am not sure yet. These are nomadic lands. Although the lands surrounding it look cool in my opinion I am not sure about the “city” itself. Perhaps I need to redo that.

I erased the previous Halfling position, by the way, and created a new one, a bit more structured and ordered.

posted 09-10-08 08:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 20  
This will be the raw story for the map. Please feel free to leave any comments, adjustments, advices, tips and so on!!!!

Malacandra

It took just one man to change the history of Malacandra. Just one name to end all peace and prosperity. It took just King Agamemnon to unleash hell onto the world. Agamemnon’s rule began in the second Era. As the only son to King Menelaus he was sole heir to the throne of a kingdom called Kul Tiras. Ambitious and young Agamemnon started his rule. Trade prospered and with it came great wealth. The borders of Kul Tiras expanded into unclaimed territory as the realm grew in power and strength. Agamemnon had just one great weakness. He was intrigued and greatly influenced by self-proclaimed prophets. He loved listening to their prophesies and his actions were heavily influenced by these “ divine messages”.

One day a dark and obscure man came to Agamemnon’s court. He called himself Kel’Arzad. And proclaimed a message of which he said was given to him by the Almighty Spirit. A god greater than any other in the lands. Agamemnon allowed the prophet into his stronghold and listened to his words. Kel’Arzad told Agamemnon his realm was in great danger. He said that the Almighty spirit revealed to him a scheme plotted by the tribes of the Tigran. He warned the Human King that his realm would not least another year unless he would act! Following Kel’Arzads impassioned speech, Agamemnon called for an emergency council of war to discuss the Tigran threat. Although none of his generals had heard rumors about Tigran invaders or of any hostilities Agamemnon started his war anyway. Blinded by the prophet he did not heat any warnings or listened to any advice. Thus it happened that Agamemnon started a campaign against the Tirgans. There came an end to so many years of peace. King Agamemnon, through skilled political maneuvering, enlisted the support of many other human kingdoms. By the time he reached his outer borders no less than Seven kingdoms swore alliance to Agamemnon. His army counted six thousand spears, three thousand bows, four thousand swords and another three thousand cavalry
The Tigran empires were completely overwhelmed by the gigantic armies marching into their lands. The Human assault proceeded easily, laying waste to a great number of villages and cities. The unprepared and outnumbered Tigrans had no other choice then to retreat deeply into their deserts. There a new leader rose to challenge the Humans. A Tigran named Lionas rose to power and with him in command the tigrans introduced a hit and run tactic. A new tactic that shifted the balance of the war. Slowed down by the great heat of the desert and the shortage of water morale among the human armies began to drop. The supply lines of Agamemnon’s armies began to fail as bands of prowlers attacked the convoys only to disappear again into the desert sands. Enraged by all these events Agamemnon made a epic mistake. He ordered his troops into attacking small villages in the Draconian lands thus opeing a second battlefront. Outraged by the attack on their borders, the Draconian put forth their full strength in the war effort. The skies filled with dragons and waters became alive with reptiles. With the draconians marching on, the Tigran armies returned as well. Lionas reinforced his militia with many nomad tribes living in the deserts. The human armies now in turn saw themselves outnumbered and they retreated. During this retreat the armies clashed time after time, decimating both sides. Something that did not go unnoticed.

The Evil realms saw how the lands of both humans, Draconian and Tigrans emptied onto the battlefields and how their lands were left undefended. An alliance between Evil fractions was forged and soon after the united tribes of the Orcs, commanded by warchief Shrnaga, and an army of Goblins, Dark Elves and Undead, under the banner of Queen Azi’ara, marched into battle. A full scale world war could no longer be avoided. The Archon realm had tried tirelessly to achieve peace between the fighting nations but they began to realize they had failed miserably. Fearing a too great a shift in the cosmic balance between good and evil they could no longer stand idle. Under the Archon banners an army of Elves, Halflings and dwarves marched towards its doom. Their numbers were about thirty thousand shields. According to eyewitnesses the war had endured less than a week before frosting armies were also reported on the battlefield. They babbled on about how their Dire penguins had disappeared from the frozen lands and they accused all they met.

A great many of battles were fought between all races. The war ravaged the world and consumed it with death. No less than five fractions, being the Humans, the Desert coalition, the Evil alliance, The Orcish horde and the Free forces of Good marched tirelessly into battle. As battles continued the Once powerful rulers fell one by one. Power struggles and infighting caused the different fractions to break up in even a greater multitude of rulers. At the end of the First Great War few were left that knew who stood with who and even why exactly they fought.

The conflict had its climax in the battle for the Valley of Gorgosh. Almost as if it was faith all armies marched towards this dale. The valley was covered in black as thousands prepared for battle. All the armies, gathered there, counted a total of eighty-nine-thousand man. A fierce skirmish took place there. Army after army marched towards its doom. Cries of horror echoed on the winds as mortal legions rushed blindly to their doom. With the legions of Agamemnon still in a state of disarray the battle went dreadful for the humans. .King Agamemnon could do little else then see his troops getting slaughtered. Heavily outnumbered, even after mercenary reinforcements, the King began to despair, It was then that the necromancer Kel’Arzad reentered the tales of history. He told Agamemnon of a way to still be victorious. All he would have to do was to take part in a ritual. Desperate the king agreed. Little did he know for he was betrayed by the Necromancer. The rituals would claim the King’s life. Through his death Kel’Arzad opened a Demon portal. Hell was unleashed upon Malacandra. It was Armageddon. A day of judgment.

The battling forces were completely surprised by this new event. Like a scourge the demonic forces under command of the Necromancer spread across the battlefield. They ripped through formations, destroyed complete garrisons of Elf, Tigran and Orc alike. Many brave soldiers lost their lives - countless heroes took their place among the legends of the past.

In just a single day more soldiers were killed then had been until that day In the war. All fractions knew in their hearts they could not defeat this new enemy on their own. And, as the saying “the enemy of my enemy is a friend” goes, the leaders of the main fractions quickly negotiated a cease fire and a meeting between them took place. Druids, shamans, priests and sorceresses, united in a single council, brooded on a way too close the portal to hell again.

The conspicuous group of mages came up with a plan involving four keys. Keys bestowed with one of the four basic element that are needed for all life; Earth, wind, fire and water. A small party of six heroes took upon them the quest to bring these keys to the portal. The band, led by the Paladin Rheno, went literally through hell but eventually four of the heroes reached the portal. They placed the four keys around the gateway and casted the enhancement. With loud thundering sounds the gate began to close taking with it all demons back into the abyss. The day was saved.

After the closing, only one of the heroes returned back to the valley of Gorgosh. It was Rheno. Although it never became quite clear what had happened to the others, Rheno received a great and warm welcome. With almost no armies remaining and brought together by the past events the different fractions decided that the war had taken long enough. The realms of the decayed King Agamemnon were given to Rheno as a reward. The four keys were hidden away by the council. There locations have remained unknown till this day.

It has now been thirty years since the First Great war. Many had gone to war and very few had returned. Although much of the lands have been rebuild and all live in relative peace many fractions are still weakened. The Human kingdoms though prospered greatly under the rule of King Rheno. He had claimed more and more lands. City after city and Realm after Realm joined the new human leader. Now it has reached a point where the King is even considered the mightiest ruler in Malacandra.

Now a new threat has come into view, bringing once again a fragile future for the worlds of dwarfs, elves, hobbits, goblins and orcs alike. As with all great power, some use it for good, others for evil. Rheno has tended to the latter lately. He has become greedy. Suffering delusions of grandeur his thirst for power knows no bounds.

Now rumors are that King Rheno is seeking refuge in demonic rituals and cults. He believes that he can control the demonic forces havocking the world so short a time ago. It is said that Rheno is trying to open his very own gate. Still his portal is small and instable making it difficult for demons to pass through. Few have thus entered the world yet. Tales of old though say that the very keys used for closing the gate in the First War can be used again for opening another portal. Rheno thus seeks these keys. Already scouts report attacks on border villages and towns. Once more the cries of battle echo upon the winds as King Rheno is starting this new campaign

Command your own fraction and write history. Train armies, command new heroes that will challenge faith and defend you realm against Rheno and rival fractions. Find the four Keys at whatever cost and destroy this new gate once and for all!
posted 09-10-08 09:14 AM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
Especially you, the Groll, have been an inspiration for me with the maps you created. There is still much to learn from it concerning storytelling and the use of triggers!
There is still much to learn from it concerning storytelling and the use of triggers!
Absolutely. I also learned one or the other "trick" from The Groll´s maps regarding the use of events and triggers and as with everything in life - the more you are working with something the more proficient you become...
He´s also one of the few masters in the use of fx´s. This is still for me a book with seven seals (does this idiom exist in english? ) and way too much work to deal with all of them (btw: is there some kind of fx-player with which one could easily test all the fx in the game without having to implement them in the map and test them?! And what about "number of times", "delay" and all of these weird options you have to type in ??? How the heck do you know whether you have to choose "delay" 2000 or 3000 ???)

Hehe, and I tell you a secret: The real reason why I password-protected my previous maps was my chaotic scripting, haha nobody (me included after 2-3 weeks after release of the map) would be able to understand all the coherences between all the event-blocks and single events (but of course, my officially mentioned reasons are also valid that I wanted to avoid that people could unknowingly easily destroy the gameplay by changing something in the events and/or changing something on the map )

the MMBEM project Descent to Undermountain won´t be password protected because all will be perfectly structured!!! and people might learn one or the other trick about triggers as well (I learned again many new things while working on this map - including well concealed event bugs that have already been used in MANY released maps without the authers being aware of them until today !!!!!

the events are the heart of every map!

posted 09-10-08 12:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
HI!

Nice Story. I have not read it all now and will not because I want it later in the map
is there some kind of fx-player with which one could easily test all the fx in the game without having to implement them in the map and test them?! And what about "number of times", "delay" and all of these weird options you have to type in ??? How the heck do you know whether you have to choose "delay" 2000 or 3000 ???)
This is off topic but I dare to give a short answer.

No, there is no player that is able to play this small files.

There are two maps in the misc download section as far as I remember. The newer of this maps is very good to check the fx´s but you still need to open the game itself to play them.

When it comes how to know what delays you need... You can simply test it in game
After a while you will understand how many milliseconds a fx need and how much time is needed if you want to play some, one after one.
there are some problmes when you let some of this fx events play together but this is easy to understand too.
there is a very easy order. One event after the other.

Btw. Thank you both for the nice words. It´s nice that someone is able to learn some things from a guy like me
And it is the kick I always get from Swolte when I talk about passwords

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. David´s Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marlene´s_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 09-10-08 01:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
It´s nice that someone is able to learn some things from a guy like me
...nobodý is useless - he can always serve as a bad example

so, that´s my last off-topic line here! sorry mate...

posted 09-10-08 03:19 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
No problem about the offtopic. If such a program would have excisted I would certainly want to hear about it.
posted 09-10-08 03:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
Hello Rheno,
Your first map looks very interesting, it is carefully painted and with lots of details.

In your new project I would like to see more open landscapes with forests, rivers, or deserts. Areas (i.e. far from cities) with fewer structures, and simplest design.

I know it is a matter of taste, so, others may think different.

Keep the good work

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
posted 09-10-08 03:40 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
The map looks very interesting, I'll certainly play a pbem game on it when it's released. I especially like the new version of the Halfling homeland.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-17-08 10:29 AM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
And here is a small update:

First of all I would like to thank all for the kind words. I really hope this map will meet all expectations.

Most of the ground level has now a basic paint and some areas are already finished. There is still a lot of work to do as I plan to make the underground almost as big as the first level.

With so large a map it sometimes becomes difficult to be original. Unnape will thus be pleased to hear some areas will be like he mentioned. As work progresses though I notice myself becoming a bit more sloppy. I feel the need for a second pair of eyes. Eyes that can look for some areas that need redoing or are totally out of place. When the basic painting is finished I think I will be looking for one or two persons that can take a quick glimpse at the map. This way they can give me some advice on which parts of the map need redoing and which parts are out of place or have more potential. Of course there should still be a lot of work left when this is done but I think this information is needed before detailing stuff to much.

One thing I found out is that wasteland is not one of my favorite landscapes. I find it difficult to make this land come alive and transition between wasteland and other landscapes is difficult. This picture shows such a place. It is work in progress but still....

Simmilar I have been working on heroes, descriptions and story. Many new heroes will be introduced in this map and also scripts will play an important part.

I am trying a, as far as I know, new idea. I want to create special gold/mana and production heroes. These heroes will have terrible skills but to compensate that they will have special abilities. When stationed in special places they will for instance produce extra mana and/or gold or supply the owner with new units every day or so. This concept has not yet been fully tested, but I think I can make it work. You could think about a necromancer placed on a graveyard and a dwarven engineer hero placed on a workshop.

In line with this I am trying out a concept of gladiators making money when placed on arena’s. This will all require much scripting but would make the game more interesting as new options and possibilities emerge.

Anyway… That’s all for now. If someone wants to volunteer for looking at the map’s painting feel free 
posted 09-17-08 12:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
With so large a map it sometimes becomes difficult to be original.
not sure whether you meant the word "original" in the same sense as I did, namely, "inventive" or innovative...

assuming that you did, I can only say that I agree 100% - and that´s (one of) the reason(s) why I became a huge fan of MMBEM projects!!

It does not only save a lot of time when many people work on the same map (it requires a lot of discipline as well, though ) but the biggest advantage is the sheer immense variety of different styles you have in the end if all works well!
I think, this does not necessarily work with every map (especially not with story driven ones) but with many.

Just a hint, maybe you think about it if it becomes too much work for you alone and maybe you find somebody who wants to share his/her ingeniuity with you

If more talented people like you, who suffer from the standard problem of time-shortness..., joined together, maybe more great maps could be released.
(Maybe I´m thinking too productive here, working day was long )

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 09-17-2008 @ 12:10 PM).]

posted 09-17-08 12:07 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
It always pays off to spend lot of time with the little details.

Nice ideas and use of terrain in those screenshots, I might even have to borrow some of them.
So if you ever finish this map I'll be sure to try it out. Any map that reminds me of HoB2 is worth playing. That's a fact!
posted 09-18-08 05:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
@ morgull.
not sure whether you meant the word "original" in the same sense as I did, namely, "inventive" or innovative...assuming that you did, I can only say that I agree 100% - and that´s (one of) the reason(s) why I became a huge fan of MMBEM projects!!
I mean the word in the same way as you yes .
It does not only save a lot of time when many people work on the same map (it requires a lot of discipline as well, though ) but the biggest advantage is the sheer immense variety of different styles you have in the end if all works well!
I think, this does not necessarily work with every map (especially not with story driven ones) but with many.
You are right that such mapmaking projects are a cool idea. I have not yet participated in one though. Perhaps something for the future.For know I will try to continu on this map as fast as possible.
Just a hint, maybe you think about it if it becomes too much work for you alone and maybe you find somebody who wants to share his/her ingeniuity with you

Is this an application

@Elquein
Nice ideas and use of terrain in those screenshots, I might even have to borrow some of them.
Please feel freee to borrow anything I borrowed some ideas myself from others as well. As long as it makes maps better this can only be a positive thing right!?
posted 09-19-08 11:29 AM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
Really like the Tigran, Dwarven, and Orc areas! I am not sure about the nomad and Halfling one, though. It looks a bit too messy to me, also perhaps because of a lack of contrast.

Project looks very ambitious!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 09-19-08 11:37 AM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
Is this an application
puuh, believe me, I´m more than happy when my current map project is finished...
maybe one day.. one never kwows but I already have some other "small jobs" after this one, so far far away future

I only mentioned this because I think there are enough gifted people around with sparse time who maybe don´t start working on a map because they think they´ll never gonna finish it - I´m thinking of such people.

posted 10-10-08 06:18 AM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
And here is yet another update on the map.
Things are going on although sometimes slow. The map’s basic painting has been done. Both the surface and underground have their basic terrain layers so that I can now move on to more detailed paining and begin the balancing process. I waited with this because I will have to do this at the same time while implementing triggers. I chose to have a lot of messages popping up in the map and this requires a lot of work! Every of the four races should play special so this should give me a long list in the end . Because I wanted a second opinion on the map I sent an email to the Groll, asking him for some support. I have received an answer from him already and his critics and tips are really helping me out. It is great to have some support of him. He will get a nice hero in this game.

This was also a tip he gave. According to him it would be fun to give pbem players their own hero. Something I think should be fun. Many if the big players have thus already their own hero. For those few readers out there ;-) if you have any specific request for class or race this is the time to mention it.

Currently I am working on the dwarf perspective. Creating stories, giving the player quests and possibilities to train units. It is a lot of work, finding the right triggers for certain actions but when things work out it really pays off. At the same time I am making more custom heroes and expand the story line.

Well then this is all for now. New updates will follow!
posted 10-20-08 07:18 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
Had a big setback today. My storage devise crashed today and on it the latest version of the map. Because of that a lot of work was lost. Fortunately I had some older versions of the map stored elsewhere but still, those where not the latest versions and a lot of work was done since those versions. Many extensive triggers need redoing now and that really sucks!!! Anyway I keep up the spirit. I will make even more saves now and I am still really happy with the map! So on we go!!!

This is a little human island. Quit happy with how it looks!

posted 10-20-08 09:39 AM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
Indeed, great atmosphere!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 10-21-08 01:36 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  
Very nice.
Are you going to, somehow, encourage players to explore the corners of the map?

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » The Making of...Malacandra
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames