You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 11-24-05 02:02 PM EDT (US)   
it's...

The 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!!

Once again it's time...
...for all the mapmakers in the world to compete head to head in a breathtaking battle! You now have the chance to show off your wicked mapmaking skills and be greatly rewarded for it. I'm not talking about the usual fame and glory all great mapmakers recieve, but also some real life physical prizes! Read the info below, and you're on your way to become the next mapmaking champion!

Making your map

The map has to be made with the Shadow Magic editor, patched to 1.4.
You are not allowed to use any other kinds of modding tools to edit the map.

The map has to be made from the template map downloadable from here. It has a pre-designed area (shown with AI blocks where it begins and ends). This template map has a few rules about it :

You may NOT alter the pre-designed area of the map, with the following exceptions:

* You may remove or add AI-blocks as much as you like.
* You may add units and items.
* You may use events of any kind that trigger within the area, including "Change Terrain".

As for the map settings, they are totally up to you to alter in any way. You can add as many players, levels, portraits etc as you like. But there is one thing to keep in mind : The map should be made for Single player. Even if the map is playable with several wizards, the judges will only play it with one of them. And the map must be in English.

Judging

Judges are :

Magog
Swolte
Horza666
Timelord
The _Stranger

I will be the only one who knows the author of the maps. The other judges will be playing the maps unaware of its creator.

Each judge will play each map once and look at it in the editor. He will then use the following system to hand out points :

The map he thinks is most fun to play will get 100 points. All other maps will then be given points compared to that map. A map only half as fun for example, will get 50 points. The points from all judges will be added together, and the map with the highest points win. If two or more maps recieve the same amount of points and have to be separated to get three winners, I will decide who wins.

Judges will look specifically at : Graphics, story and use of the pre-designed area.
We will not be very hard on spelling or grammar, since we want everyone to have a fair chance.
But do remember, your map will mainly be judged on overall fun and playability.

Prizes

The authors of the three best maps will recieve a Computer game provided by Triumph Studios!
Rumor has it that Lennart is going to pickup some new strategy games for the winners!

When and how to participate
You need to be registered at HeavenGames to participate. Your nick here will be the name you use for this competition. The competition will end at January 8th 23:59 GMT. By then, you must have submitted your map to : magog@heavengames.com. If you are one of the winners, the same E-mail as you sent the map from will be used to contact you. DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR MAP TO THE DOWNLOADS SECTION UNTIL THE JUDGING IS OVER! I will let everyone know when that is. Also, DO NOT PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR MAP!

So, download the template and begin!

And Good Luck!

FAQ

What's the pre-designed area about? Do I have to use it? What will happen if I don't use it? Can I change it?
You don't have to use it, but the judges will probably give you a few bonus points if this area is used in a clever way. You can't change the terrain in that area by using the editor. However, you are allowed to use events (like change terrain) to alter the area.

How many maps can I make?
You can only enter the competition with one map.

Am I allowed to use the Standard Editor Mod (SEM)?
No.

I'm not that good at english, is it ok if a friend helps me with signs, messages etc?
Yes.

Can I have multiple languages in signs, messages etc?
As long as one of them is english, yes.

What name should the .ahm file have?
Any name you like.

Do i have to zip the file before sending it?
No.

Should we really write our names in the map info?
Yes, I'll remove your name before sending it out to the other judges.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 12-21-2005 @ 11:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-24-05 02:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 67  

Quote:

You are not allowed to use any other kinds of modding tools to edit the map.

It means "no Heroes/Items copied (with AoWSMEd) from tweaked libraries" as well, or restriction is related only to modification of mapfile as such with tools other than AoWSMEd ?
Or changes and additions of Heroes/Items on map are not allowed at all ?

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
[UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 11-24-2005 @ 03:09 PM).]

posted 11-24-05 02:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 67  

Quote:

It means "no Heroes/Items copied (with AoWSMEd) from tweaked libraries" as well, or this restriction is related only to mapfile itself ?
Or changes in Heroes/Items already set on map are not allowed at all ?

Yes, it means no tweaked heroes, no outposts with wizard towers etc.
posted 11-25-05 02:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 67  
Ahah this is just the motivation I needed to start my mapmaking, I was planning to when the patch got released but when I went on the editor I didn't know where to start so then I just played some of the new maps to help me adjust to the new settings
posted 11-25-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 67  
Is there some mythic siginificance to the lava patch in the corner?
posted 11-25-05 08:32 PM EDT (US)     5 / 67  
Hi Magog !

Iīve just looked at your 1.4 Mapmaking Competition
You know that I donīt want to make a map for your competition because I had a map under construction before I come to the upatch team and I wanted to complete the map now after the patch release.
But now as I take a look at this competition and the praise I can get, if I win...
I donīt know ;-)
8. Jan. ready?
Where possible. Maybe.
But I have a question.
I donīt understand this exactly
You may NOT alter the pre-designed area of the map, with the following exceptions:
* You may remove or add AI-blocks as much as you like.
* You may add units and items.
* You may use events of any kind that trigger within the area, including "Change Terrain".

What does this mean?
Can I remove the A.I. Blocks there?
Can I change the landscape there?
Must the map there begin and end? What mean this? Must the start player be setted there?
I seems that I can change all there?

Can I import images that donīt come with the patch.
Portraits for Heros and Wizards?

Can you describe me a little bit more what I can do there and what I must not do there?

Oh Man! If I do this, my girl will surley kill me!

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 11-25-2005 @ 08:38 PM).]

posted 11-25-05 08:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 67  
About the pre-designed area.

It is there mainly because I know how hard it is to make a map from scratch. The area will hopefully spark some ideas.

It doesn't need to be the center of attention though, you can use it as a side quest or whatever you want. You can also send it to the shadow world on day 1 with a change terrain event, but that will hardly give you any creativity points from the judges.

Edit : some more info

Yes, the AI blocks can be removed.
If you want to change the landscape, you must use events. When I open your map in the editor, the lava area must be intact.
The map must not begin and end in that area.
Yes, importing wizard/hero portraits is allowed.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 11-25-2005 @ 09:02 PM).]

posted 11-26-05 03:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 67  
Hm...

[This message has been edited by Deo Go (edited 11-26-2005 @ 03:06 PM).]

posted 11-26-05 04:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 67  
Let's get some more posts in here!

posted 11-26-05 11:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 67  
Here's a post for you then...I'm planning to win. ^_-

Quote:

Judges will look specifically at : Graphics, story and use of the pre-designed area.

That makes it sound as if the pre-designed are must be used in some way? I do not quite like that as I am not allowed to alter it in the editor at all, and in it's current form that area is bit bland.

You do not allow me to tweak the area but yet you want it to be used? Pffth. ^_^

My plan was to just hide it there somewhere behind some mountains so players wouldn't even see it...but I do not wish to get any point deductions because of that. -__-

posted 11-27-05 08:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 67  
Elquien! Great to see you around!

Incidentally, this gives me an idea: perhaps I should start a map-making campaign for a massive multiplayer tournament set according to the Silmarillion, i.e. in First Age Arda. Do you suppose, after the flare of activity surrounding the new patch dies down (and perhaps to keep people like luc96 happy ) that I should announce a new tourney for making maps for this campaign?

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 11-28-05 11:18 AM EDT (US)     11 / 67  
How many times can I enter? I've got two good map ideas partially developed for this tournament.

Quote:

It is there mainly because I know how hard it is to make a map from scratch. The area will hopefully spark some ideas.

Do you really think any of us serious map makers need more ideas?

posted 11-28-05 05:35 PM EDT (US)     12 / 67  
Magog... can we have an official response if the following tool can be used for the competition?

New_Standard_Editor_Mod_(SEM)

There can be only one.
Highlander

[This message has been edited by NTJedi (edited 11-28-2005 @ 05:37 PM).]

posted 11-28-05 07:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 67  
I think this statement from the rules makes it pretty clear:

Quote:

You are not allowed to use any other kinds of modding tools to edit the map .

[This message has been edited by Alex Mars (edited 11-28-2005 @ 07:52 PM).]

posted 11-29-05 04:31 AM EDT (US)     14 / 67  

Quoted from Elquein:

That makes it sound as if the pre-designed are must be used in some way? I do not quite like that as I am not allowed to alter it in the editor at all, and in it's current form that area is bit bland.

My plan was to just hide it there somewhere behind some mountains so players wouldn't even see it...but I do not wish to get any point deductions because of that.

I would say that we wont deduct any points if you don't use it, but you'll be missing out on a few bonus points that the ones who use it might get. If your map is totally amazing without using the pre-desigend area, you can still win.

And calling the head judge's mapmaking efforts "bland" will hardly give you bonus points either...

Quoted from Alex Mars:

How many times can I enter? I've got two good map ideas partially developed for this tournament.

Sorry, one map per person.

Quoted from NTJedi:

Magog... can we have an official response if the following tool can be used for the competition?

No, you are not allowed to use the Standard Editor Mod (SEM).

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 11-29-2005 @ 04:48 AM).]

posted 11-29-05 04:50 AM EDT (US)     15 / 67  

Quote:

Do you really think any of us serious map makers need more ideas?

Not really, but I know how hard it can be to start from scratch, staring at that big green piece of land not knowing what to do with it...
posted 11-29-05 07:31 AM EDT (US)     16 / 67  

Quote:

And calling the head judge's mapmaking efforts "bland" will hardly give you bonus points either...

How about I bake you a cake then?

But I'll just have to create some world shattering event for that corner then

posted 12-01-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 67  
Hi Magog!

I have choosen to make it!
I will make a map for your Contest.
Iīm working on it since some days.
I donīt know if it is possible to get it ready till 8. Jan.
This should be a good, good as the "Secrets of Marlenia" map and that takes time.
And the playtesting needs time to, you know.
But Iīm on my way.

Quoted from Magog:

Not really, but I know how hard it can be to start from scratch, staring at that big green piece of land not knowing what to do with it...

I have a trick. Change all green land first to blue sea
Is it easyer now?
For some people it helps.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team

[This message has been edited by The Groll (edited 12-01-2005 @ 05:08 PM).]

posted 12-01-05 11:30 PM EDT (US)     18 / 67  
I'd like to know why the premade area has AI blocks on the sides next to the border...

Btw, I will be entering this competition. With Christmas break coming up, I'll have lots of time to play with the editor.

posted 12-06-05 07:26 AM EDT (US)     19 / 67  

Quote:

How about I bake you a cake then?

Sure (i like strawberries...).

Quote:

I have a trick. Change all green land first to blue sea

A good idea, but the map will usually end up being a bunch of islands tied together with bridges.

Quote:

I'd like to know why the premade area has AI blocks on the sides next to the border...

They are there to make it dead obvious what is the premade area and what is not. You're allowed to remove them you know...

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 12-06-2005 @ 07:27 AM).]

posted 12-07-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     20 / 67  
I have another question! The other judges can just look at the map's description to find out who the author is, can't they? So, will they be playing the maps blind then?
And I think the author's name shows up in the in-game description, too. Not 100% sure; haven't really paid attention, but anyways..
posted 12-11-05 06:03 AM EDT (US)     21 / 67  
Erm....How about the file name 1_4_Competition_Template.ahm
Should we change it before submit? For example myhumblemap.ahm
posted 12-20-05 03:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 67  
Magog: Should we send our maps as .zip files, or leave them as .ahm? Is this a stupid question?
posted 12-21-05 11:19 PM EDT (US)     23 / 67  
Sorry about ignoring your posts guys!

* You can rename the .ahm file if you want.
* I'll remove the authors name from the map description before sending it to the other judges.
* zip or ahm, doesn't matter.

[This message has been edited by Magog (edited 12-21-2005 @ 11:23 PM).]

posted 12-31-05 03:49 PM EDT (US)     24 / 67  
WARNING!!

The BEACH HILL tiles do not function properly. They allow no units with 'walking'. Please do not use these in your maps.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 12-31-05 10:12 PM EDT (US)     25 / 67  
Beaches have hills too? I never noticed that...

I just sent my map off. Was starting to forget about it, and I probably would've abandoned it if I'd kept it any longer.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » 1.4 Mapmaking Competition!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames