Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The bumper book of mini-strats
posted 10 March 2006 17:31 EDT (US)   
Hello all fellow forumers!

this thread is for all those butt-whoopin strats that just arn't big enough to get its own spots in the stratagie section of RTWH, but you just have to share them.

Quit reading, start posting!

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
Replies:
posted 13 March 2006 17:01 EDT (US)     1 / 4  
Hello: I am one of those!

This might be long, so, sorry. All of these formations are for Single Player only.

This is a formation I commonly use when I am forced to battle Multiple enemies. With Hoplite type troops obviously!

This formation I use with the Greeks a lot. Its your simple and basic wide-line defense for most normal battles. It works 75% of the time, but is susceptable to enemy flanking.

This is a basic ambhush formation I use whenever I get the chance, which isnt offten.

This is my everyday city defense when I have hoplite type troops.

Oh, sorry, work is finished. Will continue this later. Enjoy for now!

Undefeatable

posted 13 March 2006 19:57 EDT (US)     2 / 4  
This applies to RTW, campaign games.

I always aspire to bring four or five cavalry units with each army, whatever faction. And two or three Illyrian Mercenaries. The bulk of my (Roman) army, though, is my infantry, with the Illyrian Mercenaries deployed closely behind them. The cavalry are always equally deployed on each flank. Thus, the army presents an almost impregnable force versus most factions, and the pila storm weakens the enemy line considerably before the infantry lines clash together. At this point most of the enemy's wavering and confused infantry rout, and those still engaged in combat will be charged from the rear by my cavalry, then chased down as they rout...

This formation works very well even if you are the attacker; the AI will in most cases not make any effort to run towards you before the pila are thrown, or you stand extremely close to the enemy. What the AI does, though, is to constantly turn the army so as to face that of yours. This buys you alot of time to re-align your army, and at times a good opportunity to overweigh the AI's flank arises...

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 14 March 2006 10:47 EDT (US)     3 / 4  
This is one of my unique styles of Greek or Carthage type faction attack. For field battles on generally flat ground. It takes some careful manouvering, but if executed properly, will totally minimize your losses!

This next formation below was devised for a fellow forumer. Sorry I cant remember their name, but they had trouble with defeating phalanx lines. I have tested this formation, and it had about a 65 - 75% win ratio. Its a formation that you have to master before it works everytime. But it is good for anyone to try, and its success is awesome to watch!

The next is my standard bridge defense formation when using hoplite type troops. Even works with Roman type troops as most of you know. Anyway, its a simple "enemy run into the grinder" effect. Its funny to watch 2000 or more troops fall at the tips of your spears.

I have lots more for many different situations, but I think I'll let someone else post some. Dont want to be a thread hog.

Undefeatable

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 03-14-2006 @ 11:05 AM).]

posted 14 March 2006 17:22 EDT (US)     4 / 4  
Oh thank you people! i though that this thread was going to die out!

a little tip of my own is that a massed cav charge is devastating. i have kille off25 out of 40 troops doing this verry effective.

----~~~A village in Texas is missing its idiot.~~~----
---------------------------------
|\____,-[ŻŻŻŻŻŻ]-,___,---,____________________,----,_
|#[==]+[II]-=-=(o)/[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[ŻŻŻ]-[]/===]
|/ŻŻŻŻ/##/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ-------------------/ŻŻŻŻ
`````/##/
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » The bumper book of mini-strats
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames