Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Elephants Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable
posted 23 May 2006 12:54 EDT (US)   
Hello friends! I've been noticing a lot of post regarding advice and tactics and such lately... So for the next little while I am going to post some BATTLE TACTICS for various factions. Defense, and offense. City, field, ambushes in trees, and on bridges. I am only doing this so that it may help a few people, if not, hopefully more with more and new ideas regarding BATTLES.

So enjoy for now, and if you have any advice or tips you want to add to my Tactics, then just post below, and I can make the necessary changes if they seem worthy, or helpful.

Also, if you have a tactic you would like to see made, and dont know how, then I can do it for you if you'd like, and post them for you...Anyway, enjoy.

Faction:Any with elephants and phalanx.
Type: Field Battle
Situation: Offence (Attackers)
Info: Army type takes time to prepare!

Troops needed:
1 general unit = G
9 Hoplite or Phalanx Infantry = S
5 Armoured War Elephants = E
5 Heavy Cavalry = C

This is how I set it up: (This model is facing upward ^)

EEE...S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S.S...EE
.CC...........G...........CCC

Order of actions, or movements I suggest you make:

1: Send left elephants far over to their left flank. Do the same with the right, but over to their right flank. HOLD
2: Move the rest of your army up. Facing the same way. As you get closer, spears facing them, charge your elephants in from the sides.
3: Hold your infantry for a moment, let elephants cause mayham.
4: Pause game. Pick a target for every single sacred band unit you have. Spears down.
5: Game still paused. Order left cav to run to their left flank, almost behind them. Do the same for the right cav. For their right side ofcourse.
6: Un-pause game. Select elephants, move them back. Not to you, but to their far far rear flank. Get em out of the way for routers later.
7: Their troops are scattered now, and you infantry is almost to their backs, sides, and some fronts. The fighting begins.
8: CHARGE THE CAV TO THEIR BACKS!
9: The rest you can figure out.

A lot of you have seen this before, so just bear with me until i get toward my newer ones. Thanx for viewing and I hope it helps. Stay tuned for more.

Undefeatable

Replies:
posted 23 May 2006 13:27 EDT (US)     1 / 19  
Question:

This tactic works very well to rout the enemy, but what if the enemy routs one of your units of Eles? Your forces are in such close proximity, that one rampaging elephant can give you some serious losses--especially in cavalry--before you can kill them.

"we have an agenda, a character assassination agenda, assassinating characters is what we do for a living" - Sukkit
posted 23 May 2006 13:54 EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Then you ajust accordingly. A bad plan is one that cannot be changed, and I don't think this is a bad plan.

May I also suggest the screening charge- while your men advance, you charge your elephants in a suicide/desperate battle. Then you rush your infantry in and hope to god that your elephants don't rout. A variation on this is to charge, pull the elephants out, and put the infantry in, pull them out and charge the elephants in and pull out, then charge both in together.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 23 May 2006 14:04 EDT (US)     3 / 19  
^ Exactly EOJ.

If you fear that they enemy will be able to rout your elephants through archers and pigs or whatever, then just do as EOJ suggested. Rush your elephants in right away! While they are charging in, rush your cavalry around the sides to scrape up any routers or the enemy general. Or if you want to give the elephants a rest, charge the cav in, after the ele's have done much damage ofcourse!

NOTE: Remember these are Armoured War Elephants I suggested, which helps with routing defense.

posted 23 May 2006 15:41 EDT (US)     4 / 19  
I'd just like to say thanks for this Undefeatable, for poor (or rather, budding) tacticians like myself this is a great help.

- Nick

Whenever I see "Pinochet" I always think I see "Pinocchio" for a second. It produces a rather odd effect. - Legio Yow
posted 23 May 2006 15:52 EDT (US)     5 / 19  
No problem! Im glad it might help you. All the reason why I did these. More to come...
posted 23 May 2006 17:06 EDT (US)     6 / 19  
Hell, I'll do a parthian hit-and-run one one day.

posted 23 May 2006 17:38 EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Thats awesome Undefeatable.

Knowing your love and devotion to the game, I must strongly suggest RTR, you'd love it!

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 23 May 2006 18:18 EDT (US)     8 / 19  
This tactic works very well to rout the enemy, but what if the enemy routs one of your units of Eles? Your forces are in such close proximity, that one rampaging elephant can give you some serious losses--especially in cavalry--before you can kill them.

in River Trebia, I was almost winning until my Elephants routed when one elephant died, cleared a path through my Sacred Band for the enemy.

I think someone said that the key to elephants is to keep them moving. That's right, once the elephants hit the selected target, select a new one, and repeat.

nice thread, hopefully no one will send their elephants straight on while the rest of the army is still behind .

posted 23 May 2006 18:39 EDT (US)     9 / 19  
EOJ :: Like to see it.

misplacedgeneral :: Thanx man, I've always thought about trying it out...

carlo098 :: I might of miss-understood you, but...This formation if hit by an archer equiped enemy will suffer none to minor casualties if you follow all the steps, but by first charging in Elephants from the sides with the Cav support. By the time your Elephants are at that point where they are just about done, and ready to retire, by following the steps, your Sacred Band Infantry will be right up behind, waiting to spear the rest of the enemy as you order your Elephants to fall back. Or order the Elephants to fall forward, toward the enemies retreat point, and then charge your Cav on the mangled enemy. Wooh,, that was tiring.

posted 23 May 2006 19:31 EDT (US)     10 / 19  
It'd open up a new world for you.

Whether it be tactics down to lower levels, amazing units and factions, and the ability to build units outside your factions resources.

"It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good." Jack Nicholson
posted 23 May 2006 20:34 EDT (US)     11 / 19  
Again good formation, but you can't pause in multiplayer so it just don't work then.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
I've put most of my units/skins and ss of them on my new site!:
http://totalwarfantic.tripod.com/
Proud winner of most underrated forumer award!
posted 23 May 2006 21:08 EDT (US)     12 / 19  
Nice one, Undefeatable. Ill be sure to try this in my Seleucid campaign! Although personally, I'd replace one of the phalanxes with some artillery (if available). I mean, if the enemy has some archers, there's a chance your eles run amok and smash into your lines. Might as well play it safe and nail them with some onager fire.

Great stuff though. I'm learning so much in this forum!

posted 24 May 2006 01:08 EDT (US)     13 / 19  
By the way - my way of solving routing problems is...that I outshoot my enemy - when you kill all his archers (or occasional pigs), there is no one left to rout your eles.
posted 24 May 2006 08:44 EDT (US)     14 / 19  
Fortunately for myself, I've never had an Ele rout while performing this tactic. Dont forget, Ele's fire arrows! And Armour War Elephants do a not so bad of a job. Usually the enemy's archer's are positioned either in front of their lines, or right behind. Target the archers with the Ele's, and they are still sure to reak havok among their army!

TWF :: I always forget to mention that these are for Single Player. And if you practice this formation enough, there is no need for pausing, so would it not work? Theoretically speaking ofcourse...

Unde

posted 24 May 2006 08:45 EDT (US)     15 / 19  
What happened to the good old "look I'm a big elephant and I'm going to charge you head-on and trample you" ??
that worked right:P
posted 24 May 2006 08:52 EDT (US)     16 / 19  
posted 24 May 2006 14:52 EDT (US)     17 / 19  
TWF and EOJ :: I just emailed GloryofSparta regarding our idea. I'll let you guys know whats up when she tells me...
posted 24 May 2006 17:21 EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Cool. The tactical 3...

posted 26 May 2006 08:13 EDT (US)     19 / 19  
No go, I have to first create it, and GoS will put it up for us. So give me a bit guys to see how its going to look. I want it to be really nice, and helpful.
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Elephants Battle Tactic: by Undefeatable
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames