Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Siege Defense Tactic #2: by Undefeatable
posted 26 May 2006 14:19 EDT (US)   
Hey people!

EOJ did it first,so I just call this #2, lol. Its pretty much the same idea, just a little different.

EnemyofJupitor's Tactic:http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=2,2215,,10

Faction:Any with phalanx, hoplite or sacred band infantry.
Type: City Battle
Situation: Defense
Info: Best killer tactic EVER! (Besides the bridge!)

Troops needed:
10 - 15 Phalanx type troops
3 - 4 Heavy Cavalry
1 General

Basically, your defending the city center here, same idea, only you have no Cavalry! Which is ok, just depends on which unit you wish to gain mad upgrades. In this tactic, you will suffer maybe 2% or 5% casualties. Which means less to none!

I would reccomend this for when you are being sieged by two enemies, or by one which is HUGE! It alows you to cover all entrances into the city centre, which when there is a big enemy, or two, you will need to do. Because they will come down different streets to get there. Most likely they will come down 2 streets in front, and 1 in behind. But on the diagram, you can see we have it covered!

Now, notice the archers! When the enemy is trecking toward the city centre, your archers will do SO much damage, that they might not even make it to the centre. This gives your archers lots of experience and upgrades, like with EOJ's Cavalry.

If the enemy reaches your Hoplites, stop the archers from firing! Wait untill your Hoplites cause the enemy to rout (and they will!) then order you archer's to resume firing.

ITS MAD ASS DESTRUCTION!

[This message has been edited by Undefeatable (edited 06-23-2006 @ 12:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 26 May 2006 14:30 EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Ye, its an good strategy. When I was playing with greece, the macedonians and Brutii usually send great attack forces every turn to Termon. And every turn my hoplites army did their job. Until I start bribing enemy armys

"An foul knows no fear. An hero shoes no Fear"
--------------------------------------------------
A(\^/)_
|(O.o|*|
|(> <|_| BUNNY!: Ready for conquer the world!
posted 26 May 2006 14:48 EDT (US)     2 / 15  
This tactic abled me to hold Sparta for about 6 turns with 1500 men. Macedonian's kept coming down full force trying to take it back. I was Carthage, good old Sacred Band Infantry. Anyway, after the 6 turns or so, I had killed about 20000-25000 Macedonian's! And I had no time to heal my men or anything, so it went like this:

1. 1500 Carthaginian's VS 4000 Macedonian's
Outcome: 1100 Carthaginian's & 0 Macedonian's

2. 1100 Carthaginian's VS 4000 Macedonian's
Outcome: 750 Carthaginian's & 0 Macedonian's

3. 750 Carthaginian's VS 3500 Macedonian's
Outcome: 450 Carthaginian's & 0 Macedonian's

4. 450 Carthaginian's VS 4000 Macedonian's
Outcome: 250 Carthaginian's & 0 Mcedonian's

5. 450 Carthaginian's VS 3500 Macedonian's
Outcome: 150 Carthaginian's & 0 Macedonian's

6. 150 Carthaginian's VS 4000 Macedonian's
Outcome: 0 Carthaginian's & 3200 Macedonian's or so...

Give or take, it was pretty much the exact same thing.

posted 26 May 2006 17:19 EDT (US)     3 / 15  
This is also a good tactic. If you add a unit of elephants into the 'meatgrinder' then all hell will break loose

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 26 May 2006 17:24 EDT (US)     4 / 15  
Since you keep refering to EoJ's thread, you might want to add a link to there.

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 26 May 2006 17:27 EDT (US)     5 / 15  
When we have a lot of these goign I'll do a thread that is basically an index for these threads.

I'm doing it, Dammit!

posted 26 May 2006 18:56 EDT (US)     6 / 15  
I never defend IN the city. I always defend at the walls, maybe I'm wrong but it works perfectly.
My armies and the enemies armies are always equal though, I always manage to read them just before the attack so I can put in an army into the city in time. Maybe I should try to defend inside the city sometime...
How much casualties do you take when defending inside the city?
When I defend at the walls I usually take 100-150 casualties and pretty much kill of the whole enemy army. Now if defending inside the city brings less casualties then I'll start to do so.

[This message has been edited by DonRaphael (edited 05-26-2006 @ 06:57 PM).]

posted 27 May 2006 10:14 EDT (US)     7 / 15  
Defending the walls doesnt work if you are fighting agains an huge army, atacking by many diferent points. But defending the center will work (even if you dont have falanx, but heavy roman infantry like cohorts or hastati, just with more loses). But manytimes will you lose less than 100 troops.

"An foul knows no fear. An hero shoes no Fear"
--------------------------------------------------
A(\^/)_
|(O.o|*|
|(> <|_| BUNNY!: Ready for conquer the world!
posted 27 May 2006 10:19 EDT (US)     8 / 15  
The AI is too stupid to attack from multiple points.

(¯`•._.•[ .:^:. ]•._.•´¯)
¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
KaiserWinterfeldt ¨‘°ºO.:.Oº°‘¨
R.I.P. Kayla Renee Winterfeldt & Jet Jetboy Winterfeldt
(¯`•._.•[ .::. ]•._.•´¯)
(¯`•.__.•´¯)
(¯v¯)
posted 27 May 2006 13:58 EDT (US)     9 / 15  
Hi Undefeatable

Ive not played a true Phalanx faction. Whilst Egypt has phalanx its also got terrific cavalry and achers so my Egyptian phalanx units sit out most encounters.

If, as any faction, I held a city and had an AI army beseiging I would not wait for the assault...not with 4 or 5 strong cavalry units at my command like in your example. I would sally them out and rush the enemy as it trid to form its battle line.

This would catch and kill a couple of enemy units for sure. Then a drawn out battle of cat and mouse as I seek to isolate enemy units and/or lure them toward the wall towers.

If I couldnt wear the attackers down and had to 'draw' the sally then I am at risk of being assaulted next turn. Then I have a battle situation like you describe. I would again send cavalry outside to pick off what they could..the general being a prime target as are the missile troops. Any phalanx I have would form up against the breach points provided they were not going to be slaughted by missiles. As the fight at the breach gets hot then have the general in close for support and encouragement.

I suggest tactics vary depending upon the type of wall and how the enemy is assaulting. If stone or above I have missile troops on the walls...away from any wall assault..but on the wall close enough to fire on/down attackers.
Defending wooden walls against a massive army...then heroic stand in the plaza may have to occur. Plaza gives morale benefits and the enemy will arrive in poor order and tired.

posted 28 May 2006 09:44 EDT (US)     10 / 15  
^, My diagram didnt have any Cavalry in it. <aybe you reffer to EOJ's tactic.

And this tactic was devised so you didnt have to sally out! From experience, I've noticed that 35% - 45% of the time, your sally out gets countered, and you lose a lot of men. With this strat, you will suffer 1% - 10% at most of casualties. Plus your troops will get super experience points!

Unde, and thanx for viewing

posted 28 May 2006 21:29 EDT (US)     11 / 15  
nice strategy man i am a novice player and i like to play as the greeks, your strategy saved my butt 2 times!

Be optimistic. like when you thousands of arrows blotting out the sun, try to think "very well,we shall fight in the shade" Check out my story Promises.
posted 29 May 2006 04:35 EDT (US)     12 / 15  
Check out my one *Shamless advertiseing*

posted 29 May 2006 08:53 EDT (US)     13 / 15  
eragon32795 :: Thank you very much. It makes my day just to hear that! Theres more coming...

EOJ :: lol, I tried your's last night playing RTR. My Praetorian General's Gaurd got some nice experience. I think they killed like 600 troops themselves charging in from behind! lol...

posted 29 May 2006 10:47 EDT (US)     14 / 15  
The best way of doing mine is to replace cavalry with 1 armoured war elephant unit. Total, Total, Total destruction. Worth buying the game just to see that

posted 30 May 2006 10:32 EDT (US)     15 / 15  
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Siege Defense Tactic #2: by Undefeatable
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames